IGNORED

Marlon Pack our new center Back

foghornred

Yesterdays game was quite interesting in the formation that we played with Pack playing as an extra center back,I know that he often plays deep and doesn't venture forward  much, but yesterday he stayed in the middle of a back three for the whole game only leaving that position once. In fact Kalas and Webster got forward more than he did.

I assume that it was planned to give us more solidity at the back and it seemed to work so was this a master stroke by Lee Johnson or just Marlon being ultra defensive ?

I thought it was an interesting formation which seemed to work. As with all formations there are pros and cons. The pros were it enabled Pisano and Kelly to push forward on the flanks. The con was it removed one player, Pack, from midfield leaving just Brownhill and Paterson in central positions. 

I suspect it was a master stroke who has now bettered every Coach in the Championship bar 1(Leeds) and indeed several from higher up. 

Is he ia master? Not yet in my eyes but if anyone can name ONE SINGLE manager who might come to BS3 that they would rather have here, I'd be very, very surprised 

No idea what his master stroke will be v Norwich but I know he a better plan than any of us have. My be to push Pack further forward and drop Brownhill back a bit? In Lee we trust.. and support 

24 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I suspect it was a master stroke who has now bettered every Coach in the Championship bar 1(Leeds) and indeed several from higher up. 

Is he ia master? Not yet in my eyes but if anyone can name ONE SINGLE manager who might come to BS3 that they would rather have here, I'd be very, very surprised 

No idea what his master stroke will be v Norwich but I know he a better plan than any of us have. My be to push Pack further forward and drop Brownhill back a bit? In Lee we trust.. and support 

The bit in bold is the dilemma had we continued the poor run. Had we lost our last 3 SLmight at least be seeing what’s about in the market. But as it stands he doesn’t have to. Which is just as well because there ain’t much!!!

If there are two blokes currently in jobs that I’d like to see here who might like a chance at a club like ours it’s Cook at Wigan and Rosler at Malmo. They won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I like them. 

But they aren’t free and I’m pleased that LJ has ridden the latest storm. I hope he kicks on. I don’t like being critical....honestly!

I quite liked how we setup against Birmingham with Pack dropping deep. 

What I don't think the team were expecting were that the home team would sit back and let us have so much of the ball. I don't know if Brum play like this all the time at home, but if they intentionally let us have the ball it was a shrewd move because as most of us know and admit, we don't currently have the creativity to hurt teams. Their decision was justified as I can't recall us building any meaningful attacks starting from the back.

That being said, I don't think we should abandon this way of playing. We just need more options for the three centre backs. As I said on the Fam thread, this includes him demanding the ball into feet. Our midfielders are going need to be braver and receive the ball in tight spaces if the opposition are going to sit back - which is going to be much more common when we're at home.

We also looked quite solid with him in there. (except where he got caught in possession in the first half and gifting them a good attacking position). As whilst we lacked creativity, Birmingham were also pretty blunt. Without watching the game back I'm not sure if they were poor in attack, or we stifled them and didn't allow them to settle. It felt like in the stadium that we were certainly up for it and harried them well, so I'd like to think it was the latter.

Archived