IGNORED

Barry Bannan

AppyDAZE

35 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I'd rather see George Dowling give a chance rather than that Scottish **** at least the club and shirt will mean something and save ourselves 30/40k in the process all about DNA remember!! 

Good grief....what have you got against the Scots? They’ve served our club extremely well in big numbers over the years...

25 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

He was with us for a while before given his chance and sent to Plymouth if you remember then brought back and put in midfield then LJ realized he could actually score goals and suddenly BANG.... and for the record BR didn't want to go the board didn't offer jackshit for him to stay which is ridiculous considering wot he done in a season it's called ambition and the club didn't show him that..... JB can go in that bracket aswell..... 2nd this time last year and then we say we don't want promotion so wot message does that send to the players??? Then we go on shocking runs funny that hay!!! 

You say Dowling was brought back and put in midfield then LJ realised he could score goals....but he hasn’t scored a goal for us has he?

32 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

He was with us for a while before given his chance and sent to Plymouth if you remember then brought back and put in midfield then LJ realized he could actually score goals and suddenly BANG.... and for the record BR didn't want to go the board didn't offer jackshit for him to stay which is ridiculous considering wot he done in a season it's called ambition and the club didn't show him that..... JB can go in that bracket aswell..... 2nd this time last year and then we say we don't want promotion so wot message does that send to the players??? Then we go on shocking runs funny that hay!!! 

Hmmmm.......a rambling and nonsensical post.......young and inexperienced springs to mind...

FWIW LJ was asked post forum who His no 1 pick player would be if he could steal one from a Championship Club

Bannan  was suggested, by a supporter in the group , before LJ  answered , but his response was at the best very  ‘meh’ , so I don’t think Bannan will be on our shopping list

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

FWIW LJ was asked post forum who His no 1 pick would be if he could steal one

Bannan  was suggested, by a supporter in the group , before LJ  answered , but his response was at the best very  ‘meh’ , so I don’t think Banian will be on our shopping list

Did he give an answer?

Walsh is imo that player that LJ always seems obsessed with, the "unlock a door" type. 

He'd be great where Paterson is playing right now. COD and Eliasson on wings.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Did he give an answer?

Walsh is imo that player that LJ always seems obsessed with, the "unlock a door" type. 

He'd be great where Paterson is playing right now. COD and Eliasson on wings.

He did ,

But bear in mind it was a fun question , rather than who we will be in for in January , but gives an indicator in the way he’s thinking

Wanna have a punt ?

Dont think too deeply !

43 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Bobby was never going to turn down a move to the PL even though it was them over the bridge especially for the money he’s now on, and if offering him a new deal that would of made him one of the highest paid here is ‘jackshit’ then we must be paying awful wages.

Just now, BCFC11 said:

Bobby was never going to turn down a move to the PL even though it was them over the bridge especially for the money he’s now on, and if offering him a new deal that would of made him one of the highest paid here is ‘jackshit’ then we must be paying awful wages.

Our top earners are nowhere near what I’ve heard BR is rumoured to be on at Cardiff , nowhere near

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Jeez......comparing an inexperienced youngster to an established and classy Championship midfielder is completely ridiculous.

Lloyd Kelly was inexperienced when he first got a shot at the first team and that hasn’t turned out too badly has it?

If we want to go down this sustainable route some are banging on about, why not give our young ones a chance to stake a claim?  For example, George Dowling has looked tidy on those rare occasions when he got some game time, but now he’s nowhere to be seen. At least it would give the fans a lift and something to cheer, given the piss poor ‘entertainment’ we’re currently getting. Getting lumps kicked out of our young loanees by some league 2 cloggers is only going to teach them so much, so why not give them a run out in our first team?  Just one at a time, but we could find ourselves with other gems like Kelly if they step up to the plate.

Imo unless we show some belief in these young players, we’re just kidding ourselves if we think we’ll ever become sustainable.

Why's it nonsense Robbored?? There's lots of talent in are youth system that we never get to see and I'd rather see maybe you should go watch them when we are away and you not attending it might open your eyes.... yes Bannan is a seasoned pro but also is on massive wages we won't pay and as for BR he was on a very small wage considering his last season. 

7 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Lloyd Kelly was inexperienced when he first got a shot at the first team and that hasn’t turned out too badly has it?

If we want to go down this sustainable route some are banging on about, why not give our young ones a chance to stake a claim?  For example, George Dowling has looked tidy on those rare occasions when he got some game time, but now he’s nowhere to be seen. At least it would give the fans a lift and something to cheer, given the piss poor ‘entertainment’ we’re currently getting. Getting lumps kicked out of our young loanees by some league 2 cloggers is only going to teach them so much, so why not give them a run out in our first team?  Just one at a time, but we could find ourselves with other gems like Kelly if they step up to the plate.

Imo unless we show some belief in these young players, we’re just kidding ourselves if we think we’ll ever become sustainable.

Youngsters like LK and as Bryan was are rare exceptions - just as Wayne Rooney was all those years ago,

As for the others, it simply not just about “giving them a chance”. They have to have reached the required Championship standard and that decision is made by the coaches and ultimately LJ as to whether they have. It’s only then that they could become involved in the matchday squad.

Take Vyner -  made his debut but played just two matches and obviously wasn’t quite ready so he was. loaned to Argyle where he excelled. Now he’s on loan at Rotherham in the Championship gaining essential experience.

Where is Dowling now? I don’t even know where he’s on loan. To bring him back and throw him in would be a reckless thing to do. Undoubtedly he’d get outclassed by the established Championship midfielders he’d be up against,

Morrell is one academy graduate who is on the edge of the first team having played twice already I think.

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've no idea if he would be too expensive now that he's moved to France but John Bostock would be one player I would like us to target. Younger and, no doubt, cheaper than the likes of Barry Bannan. Good player as well.

Thought he would have been a good shout in the summer and a less than happy short spell in Turkey. But unfortunately he went to Toulouse 

Has a a bit of everything in his game. Surprised he hasn’t come back to England. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Youngsters like LK and as Bryan was are rare exceptions - just as Wayne Rooney was all those years ago,

As for the others, it simply not just about “giving them a chance”. They have to have reached the required Championship standard and that decision is made by the coaches and ultimately LJ as to whether they have. It’s only then that they could become involved in the matchday squad.

Take Vyner -  made his debut but played just two matches and obviously wasn’t quite ready so he was. loaned to Argyle where he excelled. Now he’s on loan at Rotherham in the Championship gaining essential experience.

Where is Dowling now? I don’t even know where he’s on loan. To bring him back and throw him in would be a reckless thing to do. Undoubtedly he’d get outclassed by the established Championship midfielders he’d be up against,

Morrell is one academy graduate who is on the edge of the first team having played twice already I think.

Agree. We can’t just be chucking in kids in hope one of them is a gem! For all the ones that aren’t it will cost us dearly. They’ll have plenty of mistakes in them, even the “gems” will as well and we’re not in a position to be taking those sort of risks. When the season is coming to an end and we’re safe and presumably a play off place isn’t on the cards, then give some of the young uns who have been showing potential a chance.

I’ve lost count over the years the names of academy players who looked like they’d be the next big thing only to flop and end up in the lower leagues. If 1 in 20 comes through and stakes a place in the first team then that’s good, I just think we’ve got a bit fortunate in the number of academy players breaking through in recent times so expectations are higher than they were 5/7 years ago. 

Bannan's record this season hasn't been all that tbh, 3 goals and 2 assists. Having said that he would be playing in a better side here so that may help him and the team better. Put into perspective, an identical record to Brownhill this season- mind you in a 3 it may bolster him and the team- loan maybe? His experience would help too. 1,728 mins for Brownhill, 1,790 for Bannan.

Bostock- not a single goal or assist for Toulouse this season though he's only appeared 10 times in the League (7 starts, 3 sub).

Point is, they aren't necessarily the magic bullet.

Walsh in a 3 definitely has good potential moving forward IMO. Good range of CMs- but his injury- which happens- but before that less forgivably, his underutilisation has set him and us back.

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Certainly not a good time to be in market for a goalscorer

Indeed - the winter window is not where many managers want to “trade” unless they’re up shit creek without a paddle, a bit like Dopey Daryl................:rofl2br:

I might be an unknown foreign import. France has been a fruitful source previously with Kodjia and Famara so who knows? 

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Hasnt he previously explicitly said Bannan would be near the top of his list?

Think he might have named him as somebody he’d like in response to a q at a previous Q&A but that was 12-18 months ago

He appears to have great faith in MP and described him as tactically astute

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he might have named him as somebody he’d like in response to a q at a previous Q&A but that was 12-18 months ago

He appears to have great faith in MP and described him as tactically astute

Bannan would be looking for 1 last big move at 29/30 so I suspect out of our price range. Or Gerrard / Rodgers may take him back up to Scotland.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Pretty sure Dowling is injured, puts an end to that one at least.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Indeed - the winter window is not where many managers want to “trade” unless they’re up shit creek without a paddle, a bit like Dopey Daryl................:rofl2br:

I might be an unknown foreign import. France has been a fruitful source previously with Kodjia and Famara so who knows? 

Diony :shocking:

Just picked up his 10th booking of the season the naughty boy. He's recently signed a new contract until 2021 so don't think he's for sale to be honest. We're under pressure to balance the books to avoid another embargo but it appears the chairman doesn't want to sell our best players. Instead it seems he's frozen out some of the less effective high earners to avoid paying bonuses etc and triggering automatic new deals. If there is one player at the club who's not for sale I'd say it's Bannan. 

I think he's on around 30k a week as suggested in the thread, not sure if you pay those sort of silly wages at this level anyway? 

Archived