IGNORED

Saikou Janneh and the Torquay promotion push

Denbury Red

Living in Devon I went to Plainmoor again yesterday and watched Torquay comfortably beat Welling (who were in second place), and three of our four loan players started and indeed starred again for the home side.

Jake Andrews scored the first with a cracking left foot drive from outside the area, before the goal of the game when Saikou Janneh curled an effort first time into the top right hand corner of the net from, again, outside of the box.

Early in the second half Janneh again was involved in the third goal when when spun quickly and volleyed a shot goalwards only for the Welling keeper to parry the ball and it was knocked in from the rebound.

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans had a solid game in midfield but Janneh was the man of the match - he was quick, hungry for the ball and looked a class above his team mates. 

Hopefully, under Gary Johnson’s guidance he, and the other three loanees will continue to improve - but I can really see Janneh being someone special in a year or so ..... one to watch!

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Do you think they could actually be playing at a higher level ?

Indeed. 

Impressing in a Mickey Mouse league is all very well but the step up in quality to Championship level is absolutely vast. Stats show that’s its unlikely that they’ll make it so don’t hold your breath...

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Merry Christmas to you too

It’s got bugger all to do with Xmas.

Some posters get excited about an on loan player impressing at whatever level they’re at but they’re  on loan to gain experience of proper men’s football and it’s worth remembering that these guys are professional footballers playing against largely semi-pro or even amateur opposition.

Whilst it’s good to see its still a long road for these players to get anywhere near City first team squad.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Some posters get excited about an on loan player impressing at whatever level they’re at but they’re  on loan to gain experience of proper men’s football and it’s worth remembering that these guys are professional footballers playing against largely semi-pro or even amateur opposition.

Whilst it’s good to see its still a long road for these players to get anywhere near City first team squad.

That’s true. Let’s remember Torquay and Bath are two divisions below Yeovil in L2.

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Point being is who is benefitting the players or the management of Torquay ? League 2 at least surely. Taylor Moore was at League 1 Bury then finds himself at Cheltenham

Just saying.

I think a lot of it comes down to clubs not taking risks on City’s youngsters. Morrell for example was taken by Cheltenham as a favour. 

Then it also comes down to positions they will play in. Moore went to League 2 cause Cheltenham would play him CB. Much like Kalas has joined us for the same reason vs other more favourable clubs.

Also to add a lot of these loans to Torquay were before GJ went there, although City does have a good relationship with Owers (previous manager) as he grew players well. 

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Point being is who is benefitting the players or the management of Torquay ? League 2 at least surely. Taylor Moore was at League 1 Bury then finds himself at Cheltenham

Just saying.

It doesn’t matter where they’re playing as long as it’s competitive men’s  football. At the ages of these guys it’s all about games, games and more games. Miles in thier legs in other words. It’s all about gaining as much experience as they can.

Take Vyner - impressed massively at Argyle last season and was their young player of the year. He returns to AG and goes out on loan again to Rotherham in the Championship......He’s gaining valuable Championship experience in a struggling side and it’s a win win situation for him and for City.

When he returns to AG he may feature in Citys matchday squad but if not he can move on to another club as an experienced defender on his CV.

Vyner may not become a regular City starter which just shows how hard it is to establish yourself at any Championship club...

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

I think a lot of it comes down to clubs not taking risks on City’s youngsters. Morrell for example was taken by Cheltenham as a favour. 

Then it also comes down to positions they will play in. Moore went to League 2 cause Cheltenham would play him CB. Much like Kalas has joined us for the same reason vs other more favourable clubs.

Also to add a lot of these loans to Torquay were before GJ went there, although City does have a good relationship with Owers (previous manager) as he grew players well. 

I personally see it differently but time will tell.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Given there is little to be excited about with the current first team, why not feel excited about some of the youngsters?

People on here know that many of the academy players won’t make it at this club or at Championship level. That doesn’t mean there can’t be a little excitement about them surely? You just hope that at least one of them is the next Reid, Bryan or Kelly.

Given I have little chance of going to see some of our youngsters in action while out on loan it’s good to read from others how they are doing.

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

That’s true. Let’s remember Torquay and Bath are two divisions below Yeovil in L2.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Taking the four on loan at Torquay - and having watched loan players in lower divisions for almost 50 years - my thoughts on what I have seen (been there for 6 of their home games this season) - when not travelling over 100 miles to AG is:

Jake Andrews - has all the quality but lacks urgency and speed - can he step up to a higher league .... not sure

Opi Edwards - currently injured - but when playing has the speed and trickery needed on the wing ....  again would need to step up gradually if he has a chance

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans- skilful in midlife but still very lightweight - would get knocked off the ball at the moment so again needs more exposure

Saikou Janneh - has pace and control, and when faced with the chance to score goals - a player often either has the knack or they don’t - from what I’ve seen at the moment he has the knack ..... but would like to see him given a chance in say League One / Two before coming back to AG.

15 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Taking the four on loan at Torquay - and having watched loan players in lower divisions for almost 50 years - my thoughts on what I have seen (been there for 6 of their home games this season) - when not travelling over 100 miles to AG is:

Jake Andrews - has all the quality but lacks urgency and speed - can he step up to a higher league .... not sure

Opi Edwards - currently injured - but when playing has the speed and trickery needed on the wing ....  again would need to step up gradually if he has a chance

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans- skilful in midlife but still very lightweight - would get knocked off the ball at the moment so again needs more exposure

Saikou Janneh - has pace and control, and when faced with the chance to score goals - a player often either has the knack or they don’t - from what I’ve seen at the moment he has the knack ..... but would like to see him given a chance in say League One / Two before coming back to AG.

Thanks DR I have been following Torquays progress via their YouTube page and Twitter account when I discovered I could follow it without the need to get Twitter :) , and I have posted a lot in the Loan Watch thread pinned at the top of this page.

It's good to get first hand information though and hear what people think of players over 90 minutes, not just highlights.

Just a point about Andrews, a lack of pace hasn't stopped Pack being a Championship player, it will be whether he can adapt his game to compensate for it that will be the key.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. 

Impressing in a Mickey Mouse league is all very well but the step up in quality to Championship level is absolutely vast. Stats show that’s its unlikely that they’ll make it so don’t hold your breath...

Robbo you can give it the occasional rest.

Most of us including the poster know the difference is vast, in fact i think every poster on here can count to five. However someone bothering to go and watch our players letting us know they are doing well and one was a standout and possibly could have what it takes is far more useful then a don’t hold your breath comment.

Just try and not tell us all the obvious on occasion, as we may have some idiot posters no one is an utter moron, almost.

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Robbo you can give it the occasional rest.

Most of us including the poster know the difference is vast, in fact i think every poster on here can count to five. However someone bothering to go and watch our players letting us know they are doing well and one was a standout and possibly could have what it takes is far more useful then a don’t hold your breath comment.

Just try and not tell us all the obvious on occasion, as we may have some idiot posters no one is an utter moron, almost.

Give what a rest Redoxo? 

I simply saying that although it’s good to hear that our loanee’s are looking good it means very little as our opinions are irrelevant.

Its qualified coaches like Brian Tinnion whose opinions carries any weight.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. 

Are you sure your opinion isn’t being swayed by who these players on loan at Torquay are being managed by? Obviously there are masses of players from every team who don’t make it to play for their parent club, but many do go on to have careers playing at a level which is right for them. At their age it’s so hard to determine what their potential is. Physically and mentally they have to develop don’t they, and part of that development is going out on loan to a lower club.

Think about it, if players didn’t do threat we would never of had Tammy for example. 

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Give what a rest Redoxo? 

I simply saying that although it’s good to hear that our loanee’s are looking good it means very little as our opinions are irrelevant.

So why do you express an opinion?

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Are you sure your opinion isn’t being swayed by who these players on loan at Torquay are being managed by? Obviously there are masses of players from every team who don’t make it to play for their parent club, but many do go on to have careers playing at a level which is right for them. At their age it’s so hard to determine what their potential is. Physically and mentally they have to develop don’t they, and part of that development is going out on loan to a lower club.

Think about it, if players didn’t do threat we would never of had Tammy for example. 

Surely not? ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Give what a rest Redoxo? 

Of course it is. However Brian doesn’t post on here. Or perhaps he does under the pseudonym of Denby Red. :laugh:!

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So why do you express an opinion?

:disapointed2se: I don’t have an opinion on loanee players....the majority of them don’t make it at City anyway. 

Its good to hear some of them are doing well at the level they’re playing at and listening to TinnIon’s recent podcast was very encouraging but it’s not a subject I think about very often.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:disapointed2se: I don’t have an opinion on loanee players....the majority of them don’t make it at City anyway. 

Its good to hear some of them are doing well at the level they’re playing at and listening to TinnIon’s recent podcast was very encouraging but it’s not a subject I think about very often.

too busy trolling.

:whistle2:

12 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Living in Devon I went to Plainmoor again yesterday and watched Torquay comfortably beat Welling (who were in second place), and three of our four loan players started and indeed starred again for the home side.

Jake Andrews scored the first with a cracking left foot drive from outside the area, before the goal of the game when Saikou Janneh curled an effort first time into the top right hand corner of the net from, again, outside of the box.

Early in the second half Janneh again was involved in the third goal when when spun quickly and volleyed a shot goalwards only for the Welling keeper to parry the ball and it was knocked in from the rebound.

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans had a solid game in midfield but Janneh was the man of the match - he was quick, hungry for the ball and looked a class above his team mates. 

Hopefully, under Gary Johnson’s guidance he, and the other three loanees will continue to improve - but I can really see Janneh being someone special in a year or so ..... one to watch!

You might be interested in having a look at the Loan Watch thread and seeing how well Johnny Smith is doing at Tranmere, Saturdays performance in particular.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Often enough though to open, read, and negatively comment on nearly every ""Loan Thead"..........................I knew as soon as I read the word Torquay in the thread title you would be along to negatively comment due to the Gary Johnson connection..............even though it must be 10 years since he called you out !

25 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Often enough though to open, read, and negatively comment on nearly every ""Loan Thead"..........................I knew as soon as I read the word Torquay in the thread title you would be along to negatively comment due to the Gary Johnson connection..............even though it must be 10 years since he called you out !

The club does though seem to look after Johnson senior in terms of loans so I do wonder whether at least some loanees couldn't have gone somewhere else possibly further up the tree ? The physicality isn't likely to be any greater but the quality of players around them would be.

Jake and Conor are both 21 years old..

Archived