IGNORED

Cheeky 0-1 away wins

Sturny

Think that was our third 0-1 away win this season? Against somewhat opponents that were no pushovers either. I say cheeky because there seems to be a some splash of luck on our side during those games (other team hitting the post or player sent off) 

Makes me wonder how many more we'll see? 

23 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Think that was our third 0-1 away win this season? Against somewhat opponents that were no pushovers either. I say cheeky because there seems to be a some splash of luck on our side during those games (other team hitting the post or player sent off) 

The cheekiest so far has to be Swansea surely? Scoring in the very first minute with what was clearly a "catch 'em cold" planned opening, and then holding them at arms length for the rest of the game.

27 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Nothing cheeky about it. It’s down to top defensive performances. All of the back four, regardless of who plays are very solid and with Pack in front of them to provide cover LJ has done an excellent job replacing Hodur, Flint and Bryan.

Now it looks as if he’ll be looking to work some magic this upcoming window in striker department.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nothing cheeky about it. It’s down to top defensive performances. All of the back four, regardless of who plays are very solid and with Pack in front of them to provide cover LJ has done an excellent job replacing Hodur, Flint and Bryan.

Now it looks as if he’ll be looking to work some magic this upcoming window in striker department.

Like i said the cheeky comment was about the luck going our way with their misfortunes. It wasn't entirely down to that of course.

And I wouldn't go as far as saying he's replaced Flint completely, defensively yes (maybe even an improvement) but we haven't had his goals. 

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

I've only been to three away games so far this season - Swansea / Brentford and Birmingham

Next one will be Stoke so get your money on the 1-0 away win that day 

Some record Phantom, think I’ve only seen one 1-0 away from home in my lifetime and that one was in the 1970’s!

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

this division is so close that nearly all games are being decided by a few moments that go with you or not, we've also hit the woodwork several times in matches we have lost, so I suppose it evens out over the season

I remember going to Plymouth one Tuesday night a fair few years ago now. We were completely outplayed for 89 mins out of the 90....and I mean we never had a kick....then Lee Peacock bagged a winner with our only foray into their penalty area. 0-1...huge kick off outside after too IIRC. 

Swansea was by far the most comfortable. Birmingham pretty comfortable too. Brentford we were 2nd best until the sending off but not totally out of the game. - in fact when Baker went off injured we looked as good as them with 11.

Unless LJ does something drastic in the window I can see more 1-0's (either way) for reason of the season.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I hope so . I have long said that we need to be more pragmatic in our approach concerning where we are as a club .

LJ seems to have cut out the balls out Championship Manager video game approach . 

This - ie. tweaking the playing style in the hope of avoiding another long losing streak - plus losing 3 key players and not having the money to get like-for-like replacements (certainly in the case of Reid) are the reasons for this season's inconsistent form - imo. I'm no fan but am prepared to cut the manager some slack in these circumstances.

Having said that, some performances - particularly at home - have still been unacceptable. Most realistic, sensible posters would accept being mid-table but not if performances at the Gate are the equivalent of watching paint dry.    

4 hours ago, WesM said:

I remember going to Plymouth one Tuesday night a fair few years ago now. We were completely outplayed for 89 mins out of the 90....and I mean we never had a kick....then Lee Peacock bagged a winner with our only foray into their penalty area. 0-1...huge kick off outside after too IIRC. 

Great game, 2003? 

Remember being sat in work and loads of us started texting about possibly going.

By 4pm we’d managed about 4 car loads and set off. 

Wonferful times and great mates to this day.

18 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I fancy another cheeky one for Saturday

Oh, shit I hope that's not going to be the scoreline  

I just noticed

611889.thumb.jpg.671bad55cc66d1fec9f0b3f800169892.jpg

Looks like more cracks need papering over then! :)

On 10/12/2018 at 11:18, REDLEE said:

The more the merrier. Although I thought we dominated at Swansea! 

We dominated in all but possession there- for what that stat is worth anyway.

@Grey Fox We sure have and I went through it other day- for and against just for balance! I'm off work so may as well...

Games in which opponent has hit woodwork.

Forest (H)- They hit it once.

Blackburn (H)- They hit it once.

Brentford (A)- They hit it once.

Birmingham (A)- They hit it once.

Games in which we have hit woodwork:

Bolton (A)- We hit it once.

Middlesbrough (H)- We hit it on 2 separate occasions late on.

WBA (A)- We hit it once.

Rotherham (A)- We hit it twice. Cannot recall whether it was the same move or 2 separate occasions however.

Sheff Wed (H)- We hit it once.

Hull (H)- We hit it once.

Stoke (H)- We hit it once in each half.

Reading (A)- We hit it once.

Millwall (H)- We hit it once.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We dominated in all but possession there- for what that stat is worth anyway.

@Grey Fox We sure have and I went through it other day- for and against just for balance! I'm off work so may as well...

Games in which opponent has hit woodwork.

Forest (H)- They hit it once.

Blackburn (H)- They hit it once.

Brentford (A)- They hit it once.

Birmingham (A)- They hit it once.

Games in which we have hit woodwork:

Bolton (A)- We hit it once.

Middlesbrough (H)- We hit it on 2 separate occasions late on.

WBA (A)- We hit it once.

Rotherham (A)- We hit it twice. Cannot recall whether it was the same move or 2 separate occasions however.

Sheff Wed (H)- We hit it once.

Hull (H)- We hit it once.

Stoke (H)- We hit it once in each half.

Reading (A)- We hit it once.

Millwall (H)- We hit it once.

Guess we should change our nickname to "The Carpenters"

On 10/12/2018 at 12:18, East End Old Boy said:

Some record Phantom, think I’ve only seen one 1-0 away from home in my lifetime and that one was in the 1970’s!

I may well be wrong with this... but the only game I can think of that we won 0-1 I have watched away was at Southampton the year they went up and spent something like 18 months unbeaten... we rock up relegation looming and beat them on 30th December or whatever it was. 

1 hour ago, Tears in rain said:

I may well be wrong with this... but the only game I can think of that we won 0-1 I have watched away was at Southampton the year they went up and spent something like 18 months unbeaten... we rock up relegation looming and beat them on 30th December or whatever it was. 

1-0, Pearson scored. We stopped them going a calendar year unbeaten at home by one day.

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

1-0, Pearson scored. We stopped them going a calendar year unbeaten at home by one day.

Then my memory still serves me well enough! That was a brilliant day. Dad, brother and myself lost our voices from all the singing but that didn’t stop us on the drive home 

Archived