IGNORED

Team For Norwich

Super

Norwich have only lost 1 of their last 16 league games. Winning 12 of them! 

They look rampant at the moment, so I suspect we will look to keep things as tight as possible. 

Interestingly, they have conceded the same number of goals as us (24) 

I’m hoping, after a mini revival, that we may see one of those games where we raise our game against the top sides  

Head says 1-2/1-3, and be happy with a point from this one. Any sort of win would really put that Horrible November behind us. 

I would probably have a similar lineup to Saturday. A 4411 type. Some go crazy about one up top at home but it isn’t about the one it is about the support and service he gets. I may be overthinking it but I’d go same back 4 and keeper.

Same front 1 and 1(Pato and Diedhiou). Pato as much as he hasn’t played his best, he is our best at finding gaps between opposition defense and midfield and he does take pressure off with his little dribbles getting away from defenders. Diedhiou fresh off a winning goal I would not change. 

Same central midfield 2(Brownhill and Pack). Not many options probably not a game for Morrell. 

On the wings I’d start O’Dowda who played well imo against Birmingham. Then I’d start Watkins hoping he’d have something to prove to that club and its fanbase. Both wingers also work very hard so would not be at a cost of defensive shape. 

Agree with your first line @JoeAman08 1 up front isn't necessarily negative if the support and service is on point- actually can make a team more fluid than trying to attack with an old school 4-4-2 (to me now oldschool 4-4-2 is now more of a counter-attacking shape at decent levels).

My team would probably be something like:

Maenpaa

Pisano Kalas Webster Kelly

O'Dowda Brownhill Pack Eliasson

Paterson

Diedhiou

Balance still doesn't feel quite right, if Walsh or even Smith was fit that would solve a few problems- as it is now though, something of a 4-1-4-1 out of possession, and a 4-2-3-1, as Owers described last week. Would even consider Hegeler in the first '1' in a 4-1-4-1 type shape as one possible option, between defence and midfield given the current absentees.

I suspect he may go unchanged, keeping the 4231 from the Birmingham game.  This would match Norwich's formation and then he could tell Pack and Brownhill to both sit a little deeper to screen the back four. I'm not sure which two out of Weimann, O'Dowda and Eliasson should start. Would maybe lean towards holding Eliasson back as an impact sub perhaps? If its 1-1 or 1-2 going into the final 30 then bringing him on could help.

Norwich will likely score (averaging 3 per game over the last 6 matches despite drawing a blank v Hull) so we do need some threat going forward as they actually do concede as well.

No doubt that this will be a huge test for the whole squad. Maenpaa and the CBs will need to be at their very best but there's an outside chance of a draw if we can hit them early.

How I see it set up...

-----------------------------------------------------Nicky-------------------------------------------------------

Pisano-----------------Kalas--------------------------------Webster---------------------------Kelly

---------------------------------------------------Pack---------------------------------------------------------

------------Watkins-----------------------------------------------------------------Odowda------------

------------------------------Brownhill--------------------Patto------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Famara--------------------------------------------------------

13 hours ago, Super said:

I think most of the team picks itself after last weekend but would like to see COD in for either Patto or Weimann.

Thoughts?

I’d like to see O’Dowda in for Paterson but, while I think there will be changes, it’s anyones guess what they’ll be. While I’m an LJ supporter there is an element of like father like son, and changes are likely to be made to match up Norwich rather than to impose ourselves on them. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

How I see it set up...

-----------------------------------------------------Nicky-------------------------------------------------------

Pisano-----------------Kalas--------------------------------Webster---------------------------Kelly

---------------------------------------------------Pack---------------------------------------------------------

------------Watkins-----------------------------------------------------------------Odowda------------

------------------------------Brownhill--------------------Patto------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Famara--------------------------------------------------------

Christ - is there an American Football game on the pitch Friday night?

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

They look rampant at the moment, so I suspect we will look to keep things as tight as possible. 

I’m hoping, after a mini revival, that we may see one of those games where we raise our game against the top sides  

Head says 1-2/1-3, and be happy with a point from this one. Any sort of win would really put that Horrible November behind us. 

I watched Norwich on Saturday, they played  neat and tidy possession football, flooding the midfield. They took their time and passed it around at the back until eventually moving it forward usually down the left with their left back getting into good overlap positions. Despite all the action being on the left there was always a player stood out on the right touchline, I had just remarked to my partner "Norwich were playing with 10 men as the one out wide had not received a single pass when they sudden switched play over to the right just as the Bolton players had got sucked in and unmarked he laid the perfect pass into the goal scorer.

What they do have is an absolute belief that they are going to score, 2-2 deep into injury time they kept pushing  until Bolton just could not hold them back anymore.

What they don't have is a cracking atmosphere, the crowd was really quiet and did not sing until the first goal went in. The Bolton fans were very vocal but Norwich fans did not respond. Normally when an away player gets sent off he walks away to a chorus of Cherio, Cherio, not at Carrow road. When Bolton went a goal down I was ready for "you're not singing any more" but nothing. There was one chorus of "We are top of the league" right at the end apart from that it was most strange. 

9 minutes ago, Tyna said:

I watched Norwich on Saturday, they played  neat and tidy possession football, flooding the midfield. They took their time and passed it around at the back until eventually moving it forward usually down the left with their left back getting into good overlap positions. Despite all the action being on the left there was always a player stood out on the right touchline, I had just remarked to my partner "Norwich were playing with 10 men as the one out wide had not received a single pass when they sudden switched play over to the right just as the Bolton players had got sucked in and unmarked he laid the perfect pass into the goal scorer.

What they do have is an absolute belief that they are going to score, 2-2 deep into injury time they kept pushing  until Bolton just could not hold them back anymore.

What they don't have is a cracking atmosphere, the crowd was really quiet and did not sing until the first goal went in. The Bolton fans were very vocal but Norwich fans did not respond. Normally when an away player gets sent off he walks away to a chorus of Cherio, Cherio, not at Carrow road. When Bolton went a goal down I was ready for "you're not singing any more" but nothing. There was one chorus of "We are top of the league" right at the end apart from that it was most strange. 

You see, that's interesting- I read on this very site a few weeks back that Norwich had switched to a style something akin to a Warnock side and they were top of the League thanks in part to that.

A view I doubted highly and you saying they flooded the middle and played neat and tidy possession football- that chimes more with my thoughts.

Doubt they'll stick loads behind the ball Saturday, they'll come to play football I'm sure- reckon they can also put together slick technically good counterattacks but they strike me as a possession side.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You see, that's interesting- I read on this very site a few weeks back that Norwich had switched to a style something akin to a Warnock side and they were top of the League thanks in part to that.

A view I doubted highly and you saying they flooded the middle and played neat and tidy possession football- that chimes more with my thoughts.

Doubt they'll stick loads behind the ball Saturday, they'll come to play football I'm sure- reckon they can also put together slick technically good counterattacks but they strike me as a possession side.

The manager was quoted in the local paper (EDP) as saying that the fans have now come round to his players passing it about at the back / midfield and retaining the ball. Last season the results were not so good and the pressure was on the players to get it forward asap. 

They appear to have the confidence in their ability to score at will so there is no rush to lump it up top.

I would imagine that Watkins would want to give a performance on Saturday, their fans really didn't like him. He is not a pretty footballer but he is effective. We all enjoy the irony of player that failed at a club coming back to haunt them. He is a hard worker and a physical presence, I would certainly either start him and give him an hour or give him a good run at the end as the players tire.

Does anyone else think that Watkins could be handy up front I must say I've not seen too much of him but he's a good height, looks strong and is a hard worker so could press high with him Finishing wise he's took his few goals well but that's only a snippet of what I've seen of him in the box so others may know better about that aspect of his game. 

9 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Does anyone else think that Watkins could be handy up front I must say I've not seen too much of him but he's a good height, looks strong and is a hard worker so could press high with him Finishing wise he's took his few goals well but that's only a snippet of what I've seen of him in the box so others may know better about that aspect of his game. 

A forward rather than a striker....getting into scoring positions like he has done so far.

On 11/12/2018 at 09:05, Bar BS3 said:

Also like us they sold their best players before the start of this season....and three of them were sold to premier league clubs...including James Maddison....and another player they released was also snapped up by a premier league club...rather than use that as an excuse, they just romped to the top of the league...

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Also like us they sold their best players before the start of this season....and three of them were sold to premier league clubs...including James Maddison....and another player they released was also snapped up by a premier league club...rather than use that as an excuse, they just romped to the top of the league...

Yeah, it’s that simple really. 

Makes you wonder why everyone else hasn’t bothered. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No one is saying it’s simple...but other clubs have sold their best players and don’t use it as an excuse for not doing as well the next season....that’s all I meant...

They have done very well, of course. 

They are certainly the exception to the rule though. Also, they only really lost 2 of their key players (Maddison & Murphy) 

Whereas this season we have had to cope with the loss of Flint, Bryan, Reid, Fielding & Smith, as well as other injuries & departures to back up players. 

They are doing exceptionally well, but us being in mid table isn’t doing too badly either, all things considered. 

Archived