IGNORED

Last season's highest paid player

Kid in the Riot

31 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

If in any other business you wasted money like that you'd be fired. 

Had he fired in 15 goals and propelled us to the PL then it would have been pocket money. That’s the gamble isn’t it. 

Football isn’t any other business, and lucky for us considering as a business we live well beyond our means. 

The current fan base simply couldn’t sustain the level of investment that our fans have come to expect if we had to operate in the real world.

(I agree that there is plenty of wasted money at the club, but I for one wouldn’t want to see a parallel universe where we had to live truly within our means)

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting assuming it’s true especially when he talks about giving the players “love”. If I was on £0.5m a year to manage players on double my money with my head on the block and playing like Weimann has recently “love” would be the furthest thing from my mind!!

Interesting one that. If you look at Leeds and the rumours of Beilsa being on silly money would be one of the few examples where the manager is paid significantly more than his players. It appears to be working though! I'm of the simple view that instead of spending shed loads of money on players, spend it on the boss. A good manager will get more out of average players than an average manager would get out of good players.

Sport is such an enigma in that the boss gets paid less than his employees. 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Let’s hope it was performance related otherwise the simple answer is “too much”!!

He was poor when he played for us wasn't he - almost as if an amature had fooled someone at City that he could play football. Scoring again now back in France though. Funny old game.

1 minute ago, WR5 said:

Interesting one that. If you look at Leeds and the rumours of Beilsa being on silly money would be one of the few examples where the manager is paid significantly more than his players. It appears to be working though! I'm of the simple view that instead of spending shed loads of money on players, spend it on the boss. A good manager will get more out of average players than an average manager would get out of good players.

Sport is such an enigma in that the boss gets paid less than his employees. 

It’s got to cross your mind when fans are shouting at you to eff off and there are players out there earning significantly more than you simply not doing what you’ve asked them to!!

43 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The worst bit about Diony is that the most basic of due diligence would have suggested to most people he was unable to hit a barn door with a banjo. We on the other hand paid a shed load to find out.

we were scouting him for 2 years.....apparently 

41 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our Head Coach incidentally earns £500k pa.

So when he said he was going to give the players "a cuddle" ..........It wasn't to boost their self esteem - it was because Lee can't afford a decent coat and needed to warm himself up!

42 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The worst bit about Diony is that the most basic of due diligence would have suggested to most people he was unable to hit a barn door with a banjo. We on the other hand paid a shed load to find out.

The most worrying aspect of the Diony loan was that the club had done their due diligence and wanted to sign him before he was snapped up by St Etienne.

When " les Verts " offered 9 million for him , their club record , City turned their attentions to other targets, Famara being the one we got . 

I still think there is a footballer in there somewhere but the guy had a stinking season and was unable to get out of the rut even with a change of scenery.

He has scored four goals and has one assist in 16 Ligue  1 matches this season ( Famara like stats ) .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

The most worrying aspect of the Diony loan was that the club had done their due diligence and wanted to sign him before he was snapped up by St Etienne.

When " les Verts " offered 9 million for him , their club record , City turned their attentions to other targets, Famara being the one we got . 

I still think there is a footballer in there somewhere but the guy had a stinking season and was unable to get out of the rut even with a change of scenery.

He has scored four goals and has one assist in 16 Ligue  1 matches this season ( Famara like stats ) .

From what I remember, all he really needed was a new set of studs.  Eveey other time the ball came to him, he slipped, tripped or otherwise fell over and when it came to having any strength in the box, he should have been called Louise.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Had he fired in 15 goals and propelled us to the PL then it would have been pocket money. That’s the gamble isn’t it. 

Football isn’t any other business, and lucky for us considering as a business we live well beyond our means. 

The current fan base simply couldn’t sustain the level of investment that our fans have come to expect if we had to operate in the real world.

(I agree that there is plenty of wasted money at the club, but I for one wouldn’t want to see a parallel universe where we had to live truly within our means)

Could you not say that about most clubs though??

I work for a PL football club and it doesn't surprise me that GoN and Diony were the two highest paid players. Many people are forgetting that he signed for St Étienne in the same season for around £8/9m and moving for that kind of money commands a high salary. In addition, Gary O'Neil has a very good footballing CV and has several promotions under his and hundreds of PL appearances. 

Given our losses in the past year, I'm actually a little surprised that our highest paid players is 'only' £18k/£20k a week. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Lois Diony was on £20k per week 

With that sort of money he could have hired an entire film crew on a lorry to drive him round central Bristol rather than continuously trying to film himself driving.

What was he done for by the police in the end anyway? :whistle:  Mind you, if you've got it, flaunt it (this was when he had a "knee injury" the complete and utter bluffer).

DbKafzmXkAUQDSf.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.7574c9a09a9dd171386c7305ebec9f39.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Olé said:

With that sort of money he could have hired an entire film crew on a lorry to drive him round central Bristol rather than continuously trying to film himself driving.

What was he done for by the police in the end anyway? :whistle:  Mind you, if you've got it, flaunt it (this was when he had a "knee injury" the complete and utter bluffer).

Police?

44 minutes ago, Olé said:

DbKafzmXkAUQDSf.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.7574c9a09a9dd171386c7305ebec9f39.jpeg

Bunch of ASSE ... making a better fist of it this year, St. Etienne 6th. I could of scored this one mind:

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I work for a PL football club and it doesn't surprise me that GoN and Diony were the two highest paid players. Many people are forgetting that he signed for St Étienne in the same season for around £8/9m and moving for that kind of money commands a high salary. In addition, Gary O'Neil has a very good footballing CV and has several promotions under his and hundreds of PL appearances. 

Given our losses in the past year, I'm actually a little surprised that our highest paid players is 'only' £18k/£20k a week. 

I have to agree. I actually find our losses quite remarkable given the increase in revenue and attendances, alongside what we are hearing about wages.

It's worth noting that a fair wad of the account losses for Bristol City Holdings Ltd was depreciation of £2.75m (the side effect of building new stands) and amortisation of £7.84m (the side effect of investing in the playing squad on fixed-term contracts that must be written off as the asset becomes effectively "worthless" in accounting terms).

25 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I have to agree. I actually find our losses quite remarkable given the increase in revenue and attendances, alongside what we are hearing about wages.

The problem if you can call it a problem is the division.

We've made some bad calls but 15-20m operating losses are not uncommon at this level- clubs can often plug the gap in FFP terms by a combination of profit on player sales and costs that are removed from calculations (eg youth, infrastructure etc) but that aside ie cash instead of FFP, this League is a real interesting case study financially!

Parachute payments also a big factor.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd actually forgotten about GON (easily done to be fair) and it could well be him.

What I do know is that our current highest paid player is on £18k per week and last season Lois Diony was on £20k per week ?

So, just the £936,000 PA + signing on fee, appearance/clean sheet/goal/win bonus and any other sponsorship and merchandising deals, probably taking them to £1M PA.

Is any player in the Championship worth that?  Itcan’t be sustainable for wages to keep rising and clubs losing money, there must come a breaking point and the biggest cost is the player wages, so would surely at some point, have to come down.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So, just the £936,000 PA + signing on fee, appearance/clean sheet/goal/win bonus and any other sponsorship and merchandising deals, probably taking them to £1M PA.

Is any player in the Championship worth that?  Itcan’t be sustainable for wages to keep rising and clubs losing money, there must come a breaking point and the biggest cost is the player wages, so would surely at some point, have to come down.

They are only worth what clubs are prepared to pay, its worth bearing in mind that our opponents on Saturday evening have one player in their squad allegedly on £3m+ per annum!

£18k is the basic and as @billywedlock says the overall contract will have various other bonuses plus a signing-on fee which can be spread across the contract, meaning in reality it is a fair bit more.

Our Head Coach incidentally earns £500k pa.

The rumour was that Baker signed a new deal at Villa whilst in the Prem, for £35k per week.  I had previously guessed at a 40% relegation reduction, so had always guessed he was on low £20s.  So £18k not far off, and as you say, that’s basic, so whatever bonuses plus signing on fees etc, would make it a nice sum.

I suspect last season there was more disparity between his wages and others, but anyone who’s re-signed a contract in the meantime will’ve closed the gap, I suspect.

£18k is the basic and as @billywedlock says the overall contract will have various other bonuses plus a signing-on fee which can be spread across the contract, meaning in reality it is a fair bit more.

Our Head Coach incidentally Is Paid £500k pa.

How much he "earns" is open to debate!

Archived