IGNORED

Director of football...

spudski

... I noticed that Forest have appointed a new one who's responsibilities are...

NOTTINGHAM FOREST have appointed Kyriakos Dourekas as their new Director of Football.

He replaces Luke Dowling, who was made Technical Director at West Brom in September. For the last 25 years, Dourekas has worked with Greek giants Olympiakos, who are owned by Forest majority shareholder Evangelos Marinakis.

During this time they claimed 19 league titles and spent 17 seasons in the Champions League. His career at the club began with a spell as IT manager in the 1990s, before he progressed to become team co-ordinator and then Director of Team Operations in 2007.

In an industry where it can be very difficult to find out about people's roles and responsibilities, it was refreshing to see Dourekas give a thorough summary of his role and responsibilities on LinkedIn:

First Team:

• Management and HR of the first team staff
  • Liaison between the CEO and the first team staff and players
  • Responsible for the daily operations of the first team department

Academy:

• Development and implementation of the strategic plan of the Academy
  • Oversee the Academy recruitment policy
  • Liaise with the Board of Directors for any disciplinary, key staff hiring, special approvals and other matters

Recruitment Department:

• Oversee the efficiency of the department
  • Ensure the co-operation with the scouting department
  • Communication and follow-up with players on loan

Training Facilities:

• Manage the daily operations and amelioration of the training facilities

It's something I've thought we need at our Club for a while. At present LJ has no one between him and MA.

It would definitely allow LJ and the first team staff to concentrate purely on the first team.

Finding the right man is another thing...someone with vast football experience. Is MA that man? Are LJ and MA the men to oversee how we develop the whole of the Club?

Just a couple things that crossed my mind this morning ?

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

... I noticed that Forest have appointed a new one who's responsibilities are...

NOTTINGHAM FOREST have appointed Kyriakos Dourekas as their new Director of Football.

He replaces Luke Dowling, who was made Technical Director at West Brom in September. For the last 25 years, Dourekas has worked with Greek giants Olympiakos, who are owned by Forest majority shareholder Evangelos Marinakis.

During this time they claimed 19 league titles and spent 17 seasons in the Champions League. His career at the club began with a spell as IT manager in the 1990s, before he progressed to become team co-ordinator and then Director of Team Operations in 2007.

In an industry where it can be very difficult to find out about people's roles and responsibilities, it was refreshing to see Dourekas give a thorough summary of his role and responsibilities on LinkedIn:

First Team:

Academy:

• Liaise with the Board of Directors for any disciplinary, key staff hiring, special approvals and other matters

Recruitment Department:

Training Facilities:

It's something I've thought we need at our Club for a while. At present LJ has no one between him and MA.

It would definitely allow LJ and the first team staff to concentrate purely on the first team.

Finding the right man is another thing...someone with vast football experience. Is MA that man? Are LJ and MA the men to oversee how we develop the whole of the Club?

I thought that LJ as head coach was responsible for all the playing  side of things and that Holden and Macca were responsible solely for the first team under LJ's direction  ?

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought that LJ as head coach was responsible for all the playing  side of things and that Holden and Macca were responsible solely for the first team under LJ's direction  ?

That’s my understanding as well.

The real question is would LJ be willing to work with a DoF? He may think he doesn’t need one.

The other question is how much of what MA role is would be duplicated by a DoF? 

Can’t  see it happening.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

First Team:

Academy:

Recruitment Department:

Training Facilities:

If you thought for sometime that the club need a director of football then you don't think LJ and MA are the men to develop the whole club. You have said in other posts you have concerns about recruitment and LJ and MA.

so why??

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Ultimately, that is his job role. His job is based on coaching the first team.

Without a DoF or a sporting director, the board, the scouting team, and the head coach work together on transfer targets.

It's a weird system, and to be honest, I don't think it's because LJ doesn't want to work with a DoF. I think it's how the board wish to operate, as it allows flexibility in delegating responsibility.

I've always liked the idea of a Sporting Director in the Championship, and it's something that would probably work better with us than it would elsewhere. I can't see Lansdown or Ashton wanting to hand that kind of control over, though.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

First Team:

Academy:

Recruitment Department:

Training Facilities:

I am still not sure that this system works in the UK, having said that it might be because, as you point out, the roles and responsibilities have not been clarified to the extent to which Forest have gone.  I don't agree with @CodeRed that it is an ego thing, I think it's a role that could be just seen as a drain on resources if it is not done correctly, and I think Managers are a little suspicious as to what the intention of the DOF is on a personal level. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

First Team:

Academy:

Recruitment Department:

Training Facilities:

Arnt those responsibilities essentially mark Ashton’s in his current role? Just got a different job title.

In some ways, you want someone without a managerial background.

Because that means there is less scope for paranoia of a manager that they're being undermined or that the new DoF is just after the job of a manager, there to replace rather than help- if you can remove friction in that respect, it's a big help!

Definitely think we could find a role for Joe Jordan but him as DoF may cause the above issues. Coaching staff maybe?

Ashton as DoF- does he have the prerequisite knowledge of the market here and abroad? Doubtful.

That said our scouting Dept is both too small and lacking higher quality IMO. Perhaps still a work in progress a better summary.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

First Team:

Academy:

Recruitment Department:

Training Facilities:

2 hours ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Arnt those responsibilities essentially mark Ashton’s in his current role? Just got a different job title.

You beat me to it ZMU.  Interesting the Forest guy reports into the CEO.....yet MA doing very similar tasks is titled the CEO, and earning £435k pa to boot.  I never understand the title change from COO - much more in line with his role, to CEO - a very different role spec imho. 

You either argue that MA is performing the CEO role and perhaps LJ could utilise a DoF in between, or you take the view that MA is earning an inflated salary whilst not performing the acronym’d Title he has.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You beat me to it ZMU.  Interesting the Forest guy reports into the CEO.....yet MA doing very similar tasks is titled the CEO, and earning £435k pa to boot.  I never understand the title change from COO - much more in line with his role, to CEO - a very different role spec imho. 

You either argue that MA is performing the CEO role and perhaps LJ could utilise a DoF in between, or you take the view that MA is earning an inflated salary whilst not performing the acronym’d Title he has.

That was the point I was trying to get across Dave...hence my last paragraph.

I look back to the SoD appointment...and he was asked to put everything in place at the Club...that's why the first team suffered. It was too much for one man to do.

We have LJ overseeing the playing side and MA overseeing the financial side. That's a very basic way of dividing it. There is a grey area with recruitment/scouting and how the Academy and infrastructure develops. Both overlap imo.

We need a DoF to allow LJ to purely focus on the first team, and nothing else.

We need MA for financial purposes. Not to get involved with recruitment...just do the deals.

We need a DoF to be as a go between, and do everything else...pretty much what the Dof does at forest.

@spudski

I have a question which sort of relates to the financial side and the infrastructure side.

On things like academy, infrastructure etc you are allowed to spend what you like, it's seen as 'good' investment.

Does the same go for scouting and scouting network? In other words if SL wanted to spend 10 million say on getting a top class scouting team in, would that be FFP compliant as with Academy, Community etc.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

We have LJ overseeing the playing side and MA overseeing the financial side. That's a very basic way of dividing it. There is a grey area with recruitment/scouting and how the Academy and infrastructure develops. Both overlap imo.

We need a DoF to allow LJ to purely focus on the first team, and nothing else.

We need MA for financial purposes. Not to get involved with recruitment...just do the deals.

We need a DoF to be as a go between, and do everything else...pretty much what the Dof does at forest.

I assume that as CEO MA’s role involves more than just the financial element. He oversees everything at AG and reports regularly to SL. and importantly any major decisions are referred to SL. It a big responsibility for sure. 

With Jon Lansdown holding a business degree he must surely be involved somewhere............:dunno:

I also assumed that the majority of the Head Coach role is to manage the first team. There is a large team of academy coaches/scouts managed by Gary Probert and they keep LJ updated of how all the various youngsters are  developing.

Personally I can’t see that there’s a vacancy for DoF............

A really interesting thread that is hard to answer for some of the usual reasons, we dont have all the info, no two clubs are run the same due to varying and unknown objectives of the owners etc.

I think it useful to see 'another model' of a similar sized club of which in the past few years, Forest, Ipswich, Norwich could be considered our peers. One thing we can judge (facts) are results, development of players, progress of academy and crowd increase/reductions. Across these and other areas MA and Lj do very well especially in development (long long list of players who have vastly improved/increased value) under the stewardship (call it what titles you like)

We are clearly lucky to have MA and Lj, and its a good thing that the owner feels confident in their ability too. Hopefully no changes for a few years, contiuning success with academy and player development and an improvement in results.

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@spudski

I have a question which sort of relates to the financial side and the infrastructure side.

On things like academy, infrastructure etc you are allowed to spend what you like, it's seen as 'good' investment.

Does the same go for scouting and scouting network? In other words if SL wanted to spend 10 million say on getting a top class scouting team in, would that be FFP compliant as with Academy, Community etc.

Sl can spend what he likes on that mate...it doesn't come under FFP.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I assume that as CEO MA’s role involves more than just the financial element. He oversees everything at AG and reports regularly to SL. and importantly any major decisions are referred to SL. It a big responsibility for sure. 

With Jon Lansdown holding a business degree he must surely be involved somewhere............:dunno:

I also assumed that the majority of the Head Coach role is to manage the first team. There is a large team of academy coaches/scouts managed by Gary Probert and they keep LJ updated of how all the various youngsters are  developing.

Personally I can’t see that there’s a vacancy for DoF............

LJ has been  employed to oversee the playing side...and have a team that works with him and below him, from first team to Academy and have a say in recruitment. And continue to have influence in putting the infrastructure in place.

MA does all the financial stuff...and part of the recruitment.

If you read what the Forest DoF does...it's an in between. Takes the pressure off LJ and gives MA less involvement in the football side.

18 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

A really interesting thread that is hard to answer for some of the usual reasons, we dont have all the info, no two clubs are run the same due to varying and unknown objectives of the owners etc.

I think it useful to see 'another model' of a similar sized club of which in the past few years, Forest, Ipswich, Norwich could be considered our peers. One thing we can judge (facts) are results, development of players, progress of academy and crowd increase/reductions. Across these and other areas MA and Lj do very well especially in development (long long list of players who have vastly improved/increased value) under the stewardship (call it what titles you like)

We are clearly lucky to have MA and Lj, and its a good thing that the owner feels confident in their ability too. Hopefully no changes for a few years, contiuning success with academy and player development and an improvement in results.

Agreed...we don't have all the info...and no two clubs are the same.

It basically comes down to what the owner wants.

I too also thought it was useful...as we shouldn't be that far of off Forest.

Your last sentence speaks volumes...what we think as fans, has no relevance if we don't know the trust and inner sanctums of the board.

I enjoy your posts...they are very astute and under rated.

Thank you for your reasoned and well thought out observations...I appreciate them.

Archived