IGNORED

Contract expiry in the summer?

Mr Popodopolous

There may have been a thread on this earlier in the season- merging them maybe an idea if there was, but who is out of contract in the summer?

I know a few had a year option available too. Not thinking of those we have out on loan at this stage...

So far I've got:

Goalies:

Fielding, Maenpaa

Defenders:

Pisano, Wright

Midfielders and Wide players:

Hegeler, O'Dowda

Attackers:

Taylor

Are there any I've missed, and who has a year option? Think Fielding, Wright and Taylor have the latter.

Obviously Kalas and Da Silva expire in the summer but take it as given that they'll be off in the summer anyway...

18 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Would keep maenpaa, Wright and COD. Offer Pisano a 1 year extension. 

Yeah sounds good options- don't think we have the year option on O'Dowda, hope he signs.

This many contracts up/potential departures represents both a threat and an opportunity.

Chance to reshape further (too much churn for my liking) and yet a big task- because if we get it wrong...

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Would he accept a contract only to then be sold? Don't see a chance for him here and his agent will be telling him to leave on a free and get a bigger pay day.

Fair points

If we are not careful our ‘trading’

is going to amount to losing players , we’ve paid fees for , on free transfers 

and then buy some more 

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair points

If we are not careful our ‘trading’

is going to amount to losing players , we’ve paid fees for , on free transfers 

and then buy some more 

In the unlikely event we took up no options (Fielding, Maenpaa and Wright as per Dave's spreadsheet) and nobody else decided staying here good for their career ie chose not to renew and obviously Kalas and Da Silva back to Chelsea or elsewhere.

We would have only 16 members of first team squad. Now, we have Vyner and others to to return on loan- but that's a huge turnaround at this level and will be a defining summer.

Has potential to be another tough summer...

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Would keep maenpaa, Wright and COD. Offer Pisano a 1 year extension. 

Could COD be converted into a LB....we are likely to have Pring by the time next season starts?

Agree with those 3.

I’m not sure if Morrell has a 1 year option if not....I guess we have development compensation if not.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could COD be converted into a LB....we are likely to have Pring by the time next season starts?

Agree with those 3.

I’m not sure if Morrell has a 1 year option if not....I guess we have development compensation if not.

Would give Morrell Holden and Pring new contracts. Didn't see ur list!

Can't see a single one of them wanting to stay.

The old pros will be looking for a last payday in warmer climes, and the youth with ability will want to play full time.

Any other player with an ounce of skill will probably follow Flints example and head somewhere more ambitious.

Few loans in Jan to ensure champ status if needed then cash in on Kelly.

Next year - 

"new squad takes time to gel"

"Players I trust"

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with those 3.

Would be better converting Cod to an out and out CM if we're not going to play him on the wing, given we're short of options atm. Kind of believe the idea he's not being given game time until he signs a new contract but he's probably not signing a new contract because of reduced game time.

8 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely we let Bailey Wright go, he filled a void as cover when we needed it and played well out of position (mostly) but I don’t feel he will ever improve our defence.

Would reserve judgement until we see him back playing again.  Would like to see him on the right side of Webster....we only ever saw him on left side of Flint or right back (except a couple of games alongside Hegeler and Baker - where he was plenty good enough).

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Would reserve judgement until we see him back playing again.  Would like to see him on the right side of Webster....we only ever saw him on left side of Flint or right back (except a couple of games alongside Hegeler and Baker - where he was plenty good enough).

Agree, with Kalas probably not around next season, or even after January if he gets sold by Chelsea then Bailey will probably be required, if not starting then at least on the bench. If Bailey proves good enough we could avoid having to recruit in the summer for the sake of a new contract.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

Would be better converting Cod to an out and out CM if we're not going to play him on the wing, given we're short of options atm. Kind of believe the idea he's not being given game time until he signs a new contract but he's probably not signing a new contract because of reduced game time.

COD got form for wanting to see if the grass is greener.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/callum-odowda-clause-bristol-city-87391

8 hours ago, hodge said:

Eire already did that conversion and in their games I've seen on TV, he has looked the part in CM. Unfortunately with 2 of LJs favourites (or should I say most "trusted") being Pack and Pato - COD is on a loser staying with us.  

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How would that compare to other managers?

By far and away the worst Robbered, the only argument you can make is that most managers previous made use of free agents to a much higher degree, whereas LJ has signed a high number of 'backup players who go on not to play or seeming mismanagement of their injuries (Wright, O'Dowda, Watkins, Baker, etc).

His old man made a loss on players he signed of around £3m over 6 years with £1m being Maynard and £1m on Dele and Sproule. Millen had around a loss of £1.5m, McInnes broke even due to the profit on Baldock.

The best managers in terms of recruitment and players they signed are O'Driscoll (Flint) and Cotts (Kodjia) who mostly made use of free agents. When Cotts spent money we did not make a loss outside of El-Abd who we signed for £300k or thereabouts. He also made good use of older players I.e. Wilbraham, Elliott.

• Admin

Problem is they need to be signing deals now, if they are free agents in the summer they can start talking to clubs from the January transfer widown

Looking at Daves list above apart from Maenpaa and O'Dowda I'm not sure any others would be that big a loss to the squad, certainly not that hard to replace

48 minutes ago, Fuber said:

By far and away the worst Robbered, the only argument you can make is that most managers previous made use of free agents to a much higher degree, whereas LJ has signed a high number of 'backup players who go on not to play or seeming mismanagement of their injuries (Wright, O'Dowda, Watkins, Baker, etc).

His old man made a loss on players he signed of around £3m over 6 years with £1m being Maynard and £1m on Dele and Sproule. Millen had around a loss of £1.5m, McInnes broke even due to the profit on Baldock.

The best managers in terms of recruitment and players they signed are O'Driscoll (Flint) and Cotts (Kodjia) who mostly made use of free agents. When Cotts spent money we did not make a loss outside of El-Abd who we signed for £300k or thereabouts. He also made good use of older players I.e. Wilbraham, Elliott.

I was referring to other Championship managers - not previous City managers.

Archived