IGNORED

Contract expiry in the summer?

Mr Popodopolous

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Problem is they need to be signing deals now, if they are free agents in the summer they can start talking to clubs from the January transfer widown

Looking at Daves list above apart from Maenpaa and O'Dowda I'm not sure any others would be that big a loss to the squad, certainly not that hard to replace

Foreign clubs from Jan isn't it? How many of our players would look to play abroad?

So , for a Thursday mini project I thought I’d have a look at Brentford who we regularly compare ourselves too in size / recruitment plan etc etc

I looked at the signings they have made for £1m or over in last few years and their general trading results / history

Here are the arrivals and what’s happened to them

2015/16

Andreas Bjelland. Purchased for €2.5m , left on free transfer

Philip Hoffman Purchased for €2.5m , Sold for €250k

Maxine Colin  Purchased for €1.5m , Sold for €3.25m

Ryan Woods  Purchased for €1.37 , Sold for €5m

lass Vibe. Purchased for €1.3m , Sold for €2.5m

Josh McEacharan Purchased for €1.04m. ,  Still At Brentford

2016/17

Sergio Canos.   Purchased for €2.9m , Still At Brentford

Rico Henry. Purchased for €1.8m , Still At Brentford

** Worth noting they also signed on free transfers this year

Sawyers , Bentley And Egan (Sold for £4.5m)

2017/18

Ollie Watkins. Purchased for €2m , Still At Brentford

Neal Maupay.   Purchased for €2m , Still At Brentford

Henriques Dalsgard.  Purchased for €1m , Still At Brentford

Mokotjo    Purchased for €1m , Still At Brentford

I could find no other losses on players but also of note but falling outside the above either through date or purchase price are some other trading of note

Andre Gray.  Purchased for €620k , Sold for €12.4m

Scott Hogan. Purchased for €950k , Sold for €10.5

David Button. Purchased for €400k , Sold for €2.3m

Jota.    Purchased for €1.5 , Sold for €6m

Harley Dean.  Purchased for € Free , Sold for €2.15m

Jozefzoon.  Purchased for €1m , Sold for €3.1m

James Tarowski. Purchased for €Undisclosed, Sold for €4m

Odubajo Purchased for €1.25m , Sold for €5m , the resigned on a Free

Interesting to have a chew over

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

@BobBobSuperBob is it a typo using the € ? 

do you mean £ ?

What struck me , was , interestingly , that for all their links and Matthew Benhams links in Europe their best business is very much lower league players in England and their foreign recruitment looks mixed 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why not simply use the £ sign?  That’s the currency that the EFL uses.

Because ..........and I’ll say again.......that’s what currency Transfermarket list their transfers in 

doh

:comando:

Doh

Pssssst......you know that comment about ridiculing yourself....... 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Because ..........and I’ll say again.......that’s what currency Transfermarket list their transfers in 

doh

:comando:

Doh

Pssssst......you know that comment about ridiculing yourself....... 

So @Bob Bob Super Bob what was the exchange rate when these figures were compiled ? Just asking for @Robbored preemption and all.... Your welcome Robbored ?

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah sounds good options- don't think we have the year option on O'Dowda, hope he signs.

This many contracts up/potential departures represents both a threat and an opportunity.

Chance to reshape further (too much churn for my liking) and yet a big task- because if we get it wrong...

Why would O'Dowda stay when he is just used as sub most weeks by Johnson.A waste of talent.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I was referring to other Championship managers - not previous City managers.

The only comparable or lesser teams all have better records.

As an example McCarthy until being sacked had a fantastic record at Ipswich of around £8m profit, a clubs financially in a similar position to us but is cutting costs with the lack of backing from the owner unlike us with SL.

Wilder is £3m up, Farke hasnt sold one of his own players. Dean Smith (at Brentford) was around £5m up, 

To sum it up Robbered its hard to draw comparisons when other managers have hugely differing budgets and much shorter tenures than LJ has to ourselves where we need to be 'sustainable' ala Brentford, Preston, Sheffield Utd.

Leeds - who have the same player wages expenditure to us - have the most similar transfer history up until last summer where we lost Flint, Bryan, and Reid. They sustained player expenditure due to attendances and average a yearly net spend of £4m per year the three previous season, discounting this summer. Meanwhile we have a net player expenditure of £5m per season and had the balance the books due to lower turnover.

Optimally we should be looking to operate with wages of around £18m/annum (90% re Turnover) to be effective while not having to offload better players, achievable if we trim down players we don't and did not necessarily need. WITH new contracts and signings, despite getting O'Neill, Flint, off the books we'll probably have wages of up to £22-23m, up 10%.

Watkins doesnt seem to have a role to play, Moore hasnt proven he's up to the championship, Eisa hasnt really featured, Engvall flopped, O'Dowda is probably leaving on a free, Baker - at £5m - is sat on the bench, Hunt is very questionable defensively, DaSilva - likely on loan at decent wages - cant get game time.

Over LJs tenure there has been criminal overspending on frankly average players who have failed to develop - yet his best value for money signing has been Brownhill. Who was free. And Eliasson, who has only started playing a role a year down the line.

We should be looking at free agents let go by Prem clubs for peripheral players and seeing if they develop - much less costly than these punts. It's why Preston have been successful with the likes of Robinson, Pearson, Harrop, and their academy products such as Browne, Davies and Earl - Brownhill was one of the former who we've managed to get consistent performances from, Walsh has also done well in this respect and has potential.

We've had past examples ourselves with Fontaine, Williams, Lita, Noble, Paterson, Ayling, Freeman, who all started off at Prem teams. All of whom on the whole did well for us. Yet these signings stopped under LJ, where we switched to signing such players on bigger fees, wages, and from abroad.

Theres not much risk involved for some sort of return with decent development and training.

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

Just to note, if those players leave then  LJ's record on his own transfer and signings is a £5m confirmed loss.

Interesting!

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Problem is they need to be signing deals now, if they are free agents in the summer they can start talking to clubs from the January transfer widown

Looking at Daves list above apart from Maenpaa and O'Dowda I'm not sure any others would be that big a loss to the squad, certainly not that hard to replace

We started talking to Bobby Reid before Xmas last year about signing a new contract - then there was silence - and we know what eventually happened in the summer.

So my guess would be that likewise, of the players o.o.c. in the summer, the club are already talking to the ones they want to keep - and the longer it goes without us hearing anything ("X signs new City contract!") the more likely it becomes they too are leaving.

To my ears, the silence surrounding O'Dowda is significant. It would be a shame if he left given his obvious potential; same goes for Pring. Holden may be in the same bracket, don't know much about him.

Fielding, Wollacott, Hegeler, Morrell, Taylor are, at best, 3rd or 4th choice with little chance of being a first team regular and we have others just as capable as bench warmers. So, thanks and goodbye. 

Vyner will replace Pisano - grazie, arrividerci.

I'd keep Wright - solid pro, good egg.

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Leeds - who have the same player wages expenditure to us -

This is scary, given the obvious disparity between the revenue we can generate compared to Leeds.

It goes to show we have a long way to go to achieve Lansdown's aim of being "self sustaining" and I think it points towards an increasing reliance on cheaper signings, loans, and youngsters coming through from the Academy.

This is why the owner is so wedded to his protege - who else would want the job if told "there's no money for big name signings, proven talent is too expensive so forget Maguire, Grey, Gayle - go find cheap players we've never heard of - anyone who proves any good will be sold from under you - and by the way relegation struggles are not an option"?

In the most competitive league in the world, that's a tough gig.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Can't say I've heard of him costing £5m, most I've ever read/heard was £3.5m or less with clauses of Kodjia's deal being wiped out.

That's off the top of head Hodge. I heard £4.9m - plausible it may of been £3.9m?

Archived