IGNORED

Jens Hegeler

westonred

Where is he ?  When we are crying out for quality in midfield he never even gets mentioned. Has he left the club, fallen out with LJ, is he injured ?

I would have thought he could have done a job for us seeing as he can cover lots of positions and is a tidy footballer

If it was based on who is technically a fine footballer, hegeler would be top of the list, but its based on speed and hussle and bustle and being Competitive too. Right footballer, wrong league to play in. 

Just as well we have someone who checks a players dna, and assesses their suitability for signing otherwise if we signed a bundesliga midfielder on big wages and never played him then that would be a huge waste of money

Not disagreeing that he is built for a different pace of football, but under Lee Johnson virtually every player besides Bobby Reid has had their fair share of looking simply unfit for the division, it seems to go with the territory with our team under LJ, yet from what I've seen of Hegeler's few chances - whether stuck at CB or in midfield - he has disgraced himself no less than anyone else.

From such limited opportunity he has had I'm amazed everyone found it so easy to write him off. It certainly wouldn't be on a few  performances as his ratio of good to bad is no disgrace. In the 3-3 away at Derby for the first half when we went into a 3-0 lead he was instrumental to the pass and move through midfield. Pack has three or four poor games in a row and no one says a word.

Was on the bench for 6 games up to and inc Stoke, but not since. Was at Brum with the squad. Played a couple of u23 games recently. 

Watch him start v Norwich and Johnson say something like:

we’ve been working on matching up a German managed team by bringing in Jens on the wing. He’s gonna hug the touch line so he can translate anything that Farke says. 

He keeps going on about how important Packing is so Marlon will keep his place. 

And everytime I talk about Famara he writes Nine on the tactics board (although he can’t spell).  So he agrees with me there.

i think he sees a lot of me in the Norwich manager as he calls me Farke all the time too.  It’s quite funny, Eros thinks Daniel is being courted by Prem clubs as he keeps saying Farke off to me.  Although he hasn’t said it since he’s been back in the team.  Weird!

Back to Jens, I do think he’s a bit of a pervert though, always talking about his German Man Shaft!

Vorsprung Durch Technik - I think that’s German for Brilliant Young Head Coach “

Hegeler is the type of footballer who uses his brain to win the ball rather than brute force. He is not the fastest runner in our books but I'd bet he is a fair bit quicker than Marlon Pack.

Yet another wasted wage because our wonderful Head Coach appears to be unable to interact with intelligent footballers, especially if they are not British. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was on the bench for 6 games up to and inc Stoke, but not since. Was at Brum with the squad. Played a couple of u23 games recently. 

Watch him start v Norwich and Johnson say something like:

we’ve been working on matching up a German managed team by bringing in Jens on the wing. He’s gonna hug the touch line so he can translate anything that Farke says. 

He keeps going on about how important Packing is so Marlon will keep his place. 

And everytime I talk about Famara he writes Nine on the tactics board (although he can’t spell).  So he agrees with me there.

i think he sees a lot of me in the Norwich manager as he calls me Farke all the time too.  It’s quite funny, Eros thinks Daniel is being courted by Prem clubs as he keeps saying Farke off to me.  Although he hasn’t said it since he’s been back in the team.  Weird!

Back to Jens, I do think he’s a bit of a pervert though, always talking about his German Man Shaft!

Vorsprung Durch Technik - I think that’s German for Brilliant Young Head Coach “

Brilliant Davefevs. I think your last but one paragraph will be lost on non linguists.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Hegeler is the type of footballer who uses his brain to win the ball rather than brute force. He is not the fastest runner in our books but I'd bet he is a fair bit quicker than Marlon Pack.

Yet another wasted wage because our wonderful Head Coach appears to be unable to interact with intelligent footballers, especially if they are not British. 

He interacts with Bailey Wright :facepalm:, sorry.

20 minutes ago, Olé said:

Not disagreeing that he is built for a different pace of football, but under Lee Johnson virtually every player besides Bobby Reid has had their fair share of looking simply unfit for the division, it seems to go with the territory with our team under LJ, yet from what I've seen of Hegeler's few chances - whether stuck at CB or in midfield - he has disgraced himself no less than anyone else.

From such limited opportunity he has had I'm amazed everyone found it so easy to write him off. It certainly wouldn't be on a few  performances as his ratio of good to bad is no disgrace. In the 3-3 away at Derby for the first half when we went into a 3-0 lead he was instrumental to the pass and move through midfield. Pack has three or four nine or ten poor games in a row and no one says a word.

Well said and corrected for you...

Trouble is, as I said on another thread, Pato and Pack are 2 of LJs favourites (or should I say most "trusted") so they can turn in a series of poor performance and still get picked, resulting in the likes of Hegeler, COD, Walsh getting little game time.

49 minutes ago, Olé said:

From such limited opportunity he has had I'm amazed everyone found it so easy to write him off. It certainly wouldn't be on a few  performances as his ratio of good to bad is no disgrace. In the 3-3 away at Derby for the first half when we went into a 3-0 lead he was instrumental to the pass and move through midfield. Pack has three or four poor games in a row and no one says a word.

Yeah but Pack was voted our best CM in the last THIRTY years .... 

I suddenly feel very depressed 

48 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I’m scratching my head at that one. 

Who else has Johnson been ‘unable to interact with’ due to their intelligence?! 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I’m scratching my head at that one. 

Who else has Johnson been ‘unable to interact with’ due to their intelligence?! 

It’s a sly dig at Johnson, one that has little truth behind it but is becoming a regular theme on here...

Until a couple of months ago, I honestly thought that he had left the club!!

I would imagine he is on a fairly decent wedge considering age and where he's come from. If he looks out of place in the system you play, then surely you try to change the system to accomodate him better (assuming he is one of the better paid players). It's a bit like Pogba at Man Utd, half the time he's ineffective because he's not being played in a system that suits him. For France, he looks a completely different player....

Back to Hegeler, if he really isn't cut out for the pace of the championship, and/or is not one of Lee's favourites because of attitude/DNA, then just add him to the ever increasing list of players who have come here and been poor or not utilized properly. If the reason is the latter, then questions really need to be asked of who is looking at these players' "DNA". 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Spot on....he is a fine player and he played well as a first choice centre back at the start of last season and again in some of the league cup games....versatile, steady and classy...

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Summer. 

Shame. Could’ve been a good player in the right set up. 

Would've been nice to see. Wasn't there a thread after his debut about how quality he was? And how he looked so out of place because he played so well? 

I remember as well in the summer training camp videos LJ giving Hegeler lots of praise. Just seems odd. 

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Didn't he spend a lot of time out injured?  Perhaps he still needs time to get back up to Championship standard.  If not, you have to feel sorry for the bloke.  He's pretty much killed his career by coming to City!

But probably got paid the most in his career ;) 

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Didn't he spend a lot of time out injured?  Perhaps he still needs time to get back up to Championship standard.  If not, you have to feel sorry for the bloke.  He's pretty much killed his career by coming to City!

And there’s been  a never ending list of them over the years !!!

We ought to be holding our own rememberance day for the hundreds whose careers have crashed after arriving in BS3 !

56 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Just like Maggs did , or Bryan or Reid or Flint or Freeman or Cunningham...

Think he could have flourished in a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1 between the defence and midfield.

Maybe too late now but yet with Walsh and Smith out injured why not? The flip side of course is that you don't change a winning side but tactically it would have made some sense IMO.

Putting him in that role, either as a 3 or the aforementioned role between defence and midfield is it would free up Pack a bit- perhaps Pack could then get forward a bit more, because he knows Hegeler can screen the defence and drop into the 3 as and when.

Would ease a bit of pressure on Pack too knowing he has the security behind him.

My most disappointing signing of recent times. A few quotes,

‘Jens Hegeler looked like a Rolls Royce; he showed the top class player that he is. He can play in defence or midfield and we’d love to clone him to have one of him in each position’ (this was a friendly at Fleetwood!)

‘Jens is a top player and I think it was initially a little bit difficult to adjust to the tempo, challenge and speed of Championship football, but for a versatile player, he is shrewd on the ball and if you want to play out from the back, he’s the best defender we have’

Lee also said this gem ‘We were very honest with Jens. We told him he could go. If he got a club that would take him on a free or a fee with a sell-on, and at that point he got his injury so he was struggling to get himself somewhere that guaranteed the same wage that he's on and the same standard, really only due to his recent history with his injuries. Jens Hegeler is a good one to have in your squad. 6ft4, ball-playing central midfielder or a centre-half especially if we switched to a three and I would be lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about playing him in particular games.’ This might explain lacklustre performances for the U23s, why bother! Yes there should be some professional pride, but LJ has essentially written him off publically.

I see him every now and then in a coffee shop on my way into work. Looks miserable. Can’t help but feel he’s either been mismanaged or  injuries have taken their toll, I suspect the former. 

27 minutes ago, Maldini said:

My most disappointing signing of recent times. A few quotes,

‘Jens Hegeler looked like a Rolls Royce; he showed the top class player that he is. He can play in defence or midfield and we’d love to clone him to have one of him in each position’ (this was a friendly at Fleetwood!)

‘Jens is a top player and I think it was initially a little bit difficult to adjust to the tempo, challenge and speed of Championship football, but for a versatile player, he is shrewd on the ball and if you want to play out from the back, he’s the best defender we have’

Lee also said this gem ‘We were very honest with Jens. We told him he could go. If he got a club that would take him on a free or a fee with a sell-on, and at that point he got his injury so he was struggling to get himself somewhere that guaranteed the same wage that he's on and the same standard, really only due to his recent history with his injuries. Jens Hegeler is a good one to have in your squad. 6ft4, ball-playing central midfielder or a centre-half especially if we switched to a three and I would be lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about playing him in particular games.’ This might explain lacklustre performances for the U23s, why bother! Yes there should be some professional pride, but LJ has essentially written him off publically.

I see him every now and then in a coffee shop on my way into work. Looks miserable. Can’t help but feel he’s either been mismanaged or  injuries have taken their toll, I suspect the former. 

That FAC3 debut v Fleetwood had me purring. Played RCB in a three and got forward with the ball, either striding forward elegantly with it (unlike the Tasmanian devil Ayling) or give and go. In a 0-0 he had our best two chances. 

You could see a CM in there.

He played well v Cardiff again at CB where we conceded 2 late goals (not his fault), before moving into Midfield. 

You could see his touch was class eg v Rotherham but he got exposed in a 2 in a piss-poor team performance v Fulham and also the 5-0 away v PNE. Midfield experiment over. 

Started 17/18 as CB alongside Wright as Flint was being courted by other teams but lost place to Baker, ultimately injured v Leeds and the rest us history. 

As I say, a shame. 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think Hegeler really suits the English game. You can't have a midfielder who strolls around like he does in the championship. He is a giant but is not good in the air. He has no stamina, after a sprint up the pitch he struggles to get back. I get the feeling he was not a Johnson signing as he just doesn't seem like a Johnson type player. 

Perhaps, but then playing him in a midfield 3 would mask a bit of that weakness and highlight a bit more of his strengths.

Same would go for a lot of our players in fact. There's a reason why lots of top sides in World football, CL, PL, European Leagues and Championship play 3 in the middle or some variant of it- LJ's tactics generally have us swimming against the tide big time in this regard.

Archived