IGNORED

Jens Hegeler

westonred

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was on the bench for 6 games up to and inc Stoke, but not since. Was at Brum with the squad. Played a couple of u23 games recently. 

Watch him start v Norwich and Johnson say something like:

we’ve been working on matching up a German managed team by bringing in Jens on the wing. He’s gonna hug the touch line so he can translate anything that Farke says. 

He keeps going on about how important Packing is so Marlon will keep his place. 

And everytime I talk about Famara he writes Nine on the tactics board (although he can’t spell).  So he agrees with me there.

i think he sees a lot of me in the Norwich manager as he calls me Farke all the time too.  It’s quite funny, Eros thinks Daniel is being courted by Prem clubs as he keeps saying Farke off to me.  Although he hasn’t said it since he’s been back in the team.  Weird!

Back to Jens, I do think he’s a bit of a pervert though, always talking about his German Man Shaft!

Vorsprung Durch Technik - I think that’s German for Brilliant Young Head Coach “

Made I laugh mate.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It’s a sly dig at Johnson, one that has little truth behind it but is becoming a regular theme on here...

It's not sly. We had at City a while back plenty of bi and tri lingual players. Most have now left the club..Learning a new language after childhood is a good indicator of intelligence level.

Not so many now as most have been sold.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It's not sly. We had at City a while back plenty of bi and tri lingual players. Most have now left the club..Learning a new language after childhood is a good indicator of intelligence level.

Like LJ learning French?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

So because some players have left the club who spoke more than one language that means that Johnson is ‘unable to interact with intelligent footballers’ ? 

Clutching at straws to read what you have into that. There’s plenty of sticks to beat LJ with without inventing more!

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So because some players have left the club who spoke more than one language that means that Johnson is ‘unable to interact with intelligent footballers’ ? 

Clutching at straws to read what you have into that. There’s plenty of sticks to beat LJ with without inventing more!

It's not how many languages they speak; it's the fact that they have played internationals for their country and in the top league in another country. GJ struggled with them and so is LJ apparently. Perhaps these players have realized that LJ is not as good as he thinks he is. With the quality of player we've had in the last four years, we should have performed much more consistently.

8 hours ago, simon uk said:

If it was based on who is technically a fine footballer, hegeler would be top of the list, but its based on speed and hussle and bustle and being Competitive too. Right footballer, wrong league to play in. 

Just as well we have someone who checks a players dna, and assesses their suitability for signing otherwise if we signed a bundesliga midfielder on big wages and never played him then that would be a huge waste of money

The thing there is, German League isn't that slow.

In terms of the big 5- England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France- what with counterattacking, pressing and climate- I'd say in that regard it is closest to England.

Think it's more that LJ hasn't been able to work out how to get the best out of him (much like quite a few of his signings).

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing there is, German League isn't that slow.

In terms of the big 5- England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France- what with counterattacking, pressing and climate- I'd say in that regard it is closest to England.

Think it's more that LJ hasn't been able to work out how to get the best out of him (much like quite a few of his signings).

For me he is a direct replacement for Pack , unluckily for Hegeler, as Marlon is captain and LJ's Fontaine.

Neither are particularly mobile but both are tall and can pass the ball . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

For me he is a direct replacement for Pack , unluckily for Hegeler, as Marlon is captain and LJ's Fontaine.

Neither are particularly mobile but both are tall and can pass the ball . 

Can agree with a lot of that, but still think Hegeler in a 4-1-4-1 or as the deepest of a central 3 would help free up Pack a bit, let him get a bit further up the pitch- we'd have to drop one of Paterson or Weimann however- maybe both.

With Smith and Walsh injured I would consider that a viable alternative.

Poor old 86 having a pop again. Shame.

What would you be like if we had an ordinary or poor recruitment policy or a poor coach? 

I stead I really think you should look at the sport, the subject and learn O. 11 play at any time, the matcday squad is around 16yet all clubs have 30-40-50-60 players. 

Simple Maths my fruwnd, many don't get games, get rejected and let go. Simple as. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It's not how many languages they speak; it's the fact that they have played internationals for their country and in the top league in another country. GJ struggled with them and so is LJ apparently. Perhaps these players have realized that LJ is not as good as he thinks he is. With the quality of player we've had in the last four years, we should have performed much more consistently.

You were the one who brought up the languages they spoke and now you’re saying it’s not about that at all, and it’s about playing in the top flight (which has absolutely nothing to do with ‘intelligence’) 

Exactly who are you actually talking about who talks multiple languages, has played in the top flight and represented their country, who is too intelligent for LJ to manage? 

40 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Poor old 86 having a pop again. Shame.

What would you be like if we had an ordinary or poor recruitment policy or a poor coach? 

I stead I really think you should look at the sport, the subject and learn O. 11 play at any time, the matcday squad is around 16yet all clubs have 30-40-50-60 players. 

Simple Maths my fruwnd, many don't get games, get rejected and let go. Simple as. 

Having a pop? Behave mate. 

Just seeking clarification on a statement that makes absolutely zero sense to me. 

I’m sure CA is more than capable of talking to a fellow adult politely without you sticking up for him :) 

53 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You were the one who brought up the languages they spoke and now you’re saying it’s not about that at all, and it’s about playing in the top flight (which has absolutely nothing to do with ‘intelligence’) 

Exactly who are you actually talking about who talks multiple languages, has played in the top flight and represented their country, who is too intelligent for LJ to manage? 

His father made a complete mess of signing non British players, and a few Brits if you count Savage and Trundle. GJ said publicly that he would not sign any more.

We had a fair number arrive in a comparatively short time after LJ arrived. It seems clear that most were recruited by a chief scout we got from Bournemouth maybe with agreement by Ashton. Kodjia, who came here before LJ, soon left for a chunk of money. Of the rest, who has prospered while with us? Injuries have hampered progress but most, IMO, have not had any success. I have no inside knowledge but the points I was highlighting are, I believe ,valid.

All the foreign players were bi/tri lingual, had played top tier club football in another country and internationals.

Thus all of them were from a level of football never achieved by our HC. The football world is full of those who will knowingly make a manager's life a misery if they don't see cups and caps.

There is an old saying in British football, that the difference between a Premiership and a Fourth Division player is "the top two inches". In other words, those who we signed from abroad, and were internationals or played in a top league, may well have realized after they arrived, that our HC was nowhere near their level in the game.

Now, as I said before, not ITK, but having closely followed professional football for seven decades, having seen the good, the bad and the ugly of our national game, to be able to understand when things are not right between a manager and players.

Lee J has only very limited experience at Championship level, was managed for 90% of his career by his father. That is hardly the basis for a rounded experience gathering of knowledge to make him only a very limited manager, IMO. Unable to stop these recurring spells of miserable performance and results. That is my problem with him. 

If you disagree, that is your prerogative. It's a forum in a country of free thoughts and speech.

Hegeler has been one of those puzzling signings of the LJ/MA era. Bought for a bargain price (£150,000 I think, although I don't know what his wages are), good pedigree, looked decent at first and I think I remember LJ saying he wanted to build the team around him. Then? Sporadic appearances (a couple where he looked very suspect), long periods where he was nowhere to be seen and couple of spells on the bench. There's a decent enough player in there, but obviously not deemed to be good enough and/or the right fit for the team.

Two ways of looking at it I suppose. Either a cheapish punt that didn't work out or another example of wasteful recruitment.

51 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

His father made a complete mess of signing non British players, and a few Brits if you count Savage and Trundle. GJ said publicly that he would not sign any more.

We had a fair number arrive in a comparatively short time after LJ arrived. It seems clear that most were recruited by a chief scout we got from Bournemouth maybe with agreement by Ashton. Kodjia, who came here before LJ, soon left for a chunk of money. Of the rest, who has prospered while with us? Injuries have hampered progress but most, IMO, have not had any success. I have no inside knowledge but the points I was highlighting are, I believe ,valid.

All the foreign players were bi/tri lingual, had played top tier club football in another country and internationals.

Thus all of them were from a level of football never achieved by our HC. The football world is full of those who will knowingly make a manager's life a misery if they don't see cups and caps.

There is an old saying in British football, that the difference between a Premiership and a Fourth Division player is "the top two inches". In other words, those who we signed from abroad, and were internationals or played in a top league, may well have realized after they arrived, that our HC was nowhere near their level in the game.

Now, as I said before, not ITK, but having closely followed professional football for seven decades, having seen the good, the bad and the ugly of our national game, to be able to understand when things are not right between a manager and players.

Lee J has only very limited experience at Championship level, was managed for 90% of his career by his father. That is hardly the basis for a rounded experience gathering of knowledge to make him only a very limited manager, IMO. Unable to stop these recurring spells of miserable performance and results. That is my problem with him. 

If you disagree, that is your prerogative. It's a forum in a country of free thoughts and speech.

I don’t disagree with much of your post, but I still can’t see how any of it remotely evidences Johnson being ‘incapable of managing intelligent players’ which is all I was asking about.

Just seemed like a lazy dig with no basis in fact. For example Joe Bryan is considerably more intelligent than Lee Tomlin, yet LJ got a lot more out of the former than the latter. 

No-one seems to remember the last time he started, it was an evening game last season and he was shocking, too slow, too static and unable to find a pass.

while I feel sorry for him, there was little to suggest we had a gem that night, I agree with others - that perhaps his frame has suffered one too many serious injuries.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Thats an awful lot of punts that havent worked. ?

There have been. Punts of in excess of 2m that people on here constantly excused. 

Utter garbage recruiting. This bloke makes ALL OTHER SICKNOTES look like world beaters. 

The faster this *** ducks off the better. 

LJ and the club have told him he can leave at any time on a free. Yet he persists here because his body is useless. 

Perhaps Tom Ritchie can get him a job on the mail down Portishead

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There have been. Punts of in excess of 2m that people on here constantly excused. 

Utter garbage recruiting. This bloke makes ALL OTHER SICKNOTES look like world beaters. 

The faster this *** ducks off the better. 

LJ and the club have told him he can leave at any time on a free. Yet he persists here because his body is useless. 

Perhaps Tom Ritchie can get him a job on the mail down Portishead

We offered him a contract. Plus the culture in Germany is different. 

Peripheral players, like Jens was at Hertha, tend to take their coaching badges early and help the youth sides out when not playing. So for that reason - it's likely why he's seeing his contract out.

With his injury issues, between his analysis (packing) start-up venture and his seeming decent intuition and intelligence I wouldnt mind him becoming an U23 coach if he hangs up his boots.

Archived