IGNORED

Virgin Media

Up The City!

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Anyone had any success knocking them down? Currently I'm out of contract but I'm unhappy paying £130 a month. 

I don't really want to be switching suppliers because I think the Virgin media service is this best there is, but £130 is a bit to steep imo.

Is that including your mobile?

Have to say my bill's not quite as bad and I'm unhappy at paying my monthly to old Branson, but you're showing me how bad it could be, UTC.  :(

Yes, give them a call and see if they are able to listen. With a bit of effort they should find a deal or two and that will keep you quiet for a while. This time of year tends to have a few extra presents.

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Have to say my bill's not quite as bad and I'm unhappy at paying my monthly to old Branson, but you're showing me how bad it could be, UTC.  :(

Yes, give them a call and see if they are able to listen. With a bit of effort they should find a deal or two and that will keep you quiet for a while. This time of year tends to have a few extra presents.

I will often buy the big boxing fights aswell so my bill is more like 150.

I think Sky would be cheaper but then their internet just doesn't come any where close to VM internet and as a gamer a stable high speed internet connection is vital.

Do I literally just threaten to leave? Or do I approach it a different way?

Complete waste of money imo there is no way anyone can have enough time to watch that much sport and movies while using all that internet connection to make it worthwhile. Unless they do not go out or housebound for one reason or another

Have you ever totalled up how many hours of the premium service you watch each month?  It could well be that you are watching so much it maybe worth the outlay. But to be honest if you are looking for a reduction with all those services I'd suggest they would probably come back with 'drop one of the services then if you can't afford it'

Anyway call their bluff say you are thinking about going to sky, is there anything you can do to persuade me to stay.

2 hours ago, TRL said:

Complete waste of money imo there is no way anyone can have enough time to watch that much sport and movies while using all that internet connection to make it worthwhile. Unless they do not go out or housebound for one reason or another

Have you ever totalled up how many hours of the premium service you watch each month?  It could well be that you are watching so much it maybe worth the outlay. But to be honest if you are looking for a reduction with all those services I'd suggest they would probably come back with 'drop one of the services then if you can't afford it'

Anyway call their bluff say you are thinking about going to sky, is there anything you can do to persuade me to stay.

This!

It is a ball ache but if you can be bothered it’s worth doing.

I rang Sky as my bill went up and the best they offered was to knock a whole £1 off! So I spoke to BT and got a good deal with them so went ahead with changing. BT put in a request to Sky to change the phone line over and within a day I had a call from Sky offering me a better package than what I had previously with them!

Call their bluff!

I was with Blueyonder/Virgin for over twenty years.The cost of my service went up and I renegotiated several times.One time they were adamant they wouldn't budge.I went to Carphone Warehouse  who deal with Sky and signed up for Sky through them.Carphone Warehouse contacted Virgin and asked them to remove their equipment from my house. Virgin  then contacted me and offered me a better deal than Carphone Warehouse/Sky  so I cancelled the CW/Sky contract and stayed with Virgin.Bit of a pain in the arse but to be honest it was more of a principle thing than the money.I do the same thing when my AA renewal comes up because they take the piss as well.

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Hmm, seems like they only respond when the barrel is pointing at them. Much like many others.

Very true.Best bet I find,is to go online,find out the competitor's price as they usually have deals for new customers, and quote those prices to your current supplier.They will usually match or better the competitor's price. Good luck.

15 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Anyone had any success knocking them down? Currently I'm out of contract but I'm unhappy paying £130 a month. 

I don't really want to be switching suppliers because I think the Virgin media service is this best there is, but £130 is a bit to steep imo.

Yeah totally agree.

I think they've got me buy the bollocks too.

I think I maybe addicted to  Sky sports hype more so than anything else. 

Oh, and for anyone on a loyalty discount (been with them since Telewest days) got a discount a few years back, happened to notice a few months ago that my Direct Debit suddenly increased with no warning or explanation, … I promptly rang them and was told my discount had expired (apparently it now lasts for twelve months at a time and needs renewing annually or it gets automatically cancelled) was a simple case of getting transferred to their 'retentions dept' I think that's what they are called and discount was reinstated instantly... It's the same department that customer services eventually put you through to if it looks like you're planning to leave or thinking of cancelling any of your services, if you tell them its due to high costs etc then it's the 'retentions' dept team that have the power to offer you an 'extra' or two or can discount your bill (sometimes) most of these providers have similar departments whose job it is to retain your custom if possible rather than lose you to rival companies.  

If you do manage to negotiate a discount deal check how long it will last and if it will be renewable.. & keep an eye on your direct debits incase they've automatically reinstated the standard tariff without notification.  

You're only a Virgin customer once, after you've been shafted for the first time, you learn to be careful after that and hopefully you can persuade them to bend over backwards for you! 

Be polite though, rants will just get their backs up, (would you be inclined to help someone if you were taking abuse? remember chances are the person you are talking to probably has the discretion to help you or otherwise) and they've heard all the rants going, and have spent half their day ignoring 'em.

Good Luck (whichever provider you are with) you definitely wont get anything if you don't ask, & you've got nothing to lose!       

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Oh, and for anyone on a loyalty discount (been with them since Telewest days) got a discount a few years back, happened to notice a few months ago that my Direct Debit suddenly increased with no warning or explanation, … I promptly rang them and was told my discount had expired (apparently it now lasts for twelve months at a time and needs renewing annually or it gets automatically cancelled) was a simple case of getting transferred to their 'retentions dept' I think that's what they are called and discount was reinstated instantly... It's the same department that customer services eventually put you through to if it looks like you're planning to leave or thinking of cancelling any of your services, if you tell them its due to high costs etc then it's the 'retentions' dept team that have the power to offer you an 'extra' or two or can discount your bill (sometimes) most of these providers have similar departments whose job it is to retain your custom if possible rather than lose you to rival companies.  

If you do manage to negotiate a discount deal check how long it will last and if it will be renewable.. & keep an eye on your direct debits incase they've automatically reinstated the standard tariff without notification.  

You're only a Virgin customer once, after you've been shafted for the first time, you learn to be careful after that and hopefully you can persuade them to bend over backwards for you! 

Be polite though, rants will just get their backs up, (would you be inclined to help someone if you were taking abuse? remember chances are the person you are talking to probably has the discretion to help you or otherwise) and they've heard all the rants going, and have spent half their day ignoring 'em.

Good Luck (whichever provider you are with) you definitely wont get anything if you don't ask, & you've got nothing to lose!       

Pretty much my experience from a couple of weeks back. Got through to their retentions, nice Scottish chap sorted me out and even advised to call back in 6 months to get the discounts renewed.

Have considered just ditching the TV/Phone and just using the internet, Smart TV and a couple of on demand subs.

I've been with Virgin, BT  and now Sky. I've got a bit of a reputation as a good time lad. My advice, as one or two have stated here, is look up cheaper deals online for the same services you are paying for and be prepared, if needs be, to change to them. If you are coming near the end of your current contract with your provider, or they have put up the price in which case you have 30 days to quit without penalties, then phone them up and say that you are going to another provider and giving them notice of your decision. Quote the price you have been 'offered' and maybe state that if your current provider can beat that then you will remain with them. When you say that you are going to change supplier MEAN IT. Invariably, you will be quoted a cheaper price and sometimes a couple of additions too. If you don't mean it you won't sound as determined when you speak to them. Then you will have to do a humiliating backtrack when they don't offer you a better deal.

In August I changed from BT to Sky. BT had conveniently just put the price up otherwise I would've had no way out for another year as that was what was left on my contract. I changed to Sky and BT tried their darndest to retain me with discounts etc. I would've usually remained with them, but Sky had the red button for City games, whereas that wasn't available on the BT service.

Does anyone know if they do anything in terms of short term retentions? I can’t get into another 12 month contract as I’ll be moving in a few months, and my other half already has virgin so I’ll not need my own virgin account after then. My deal has ended and I’m now paying over £110 a month. 

My VirginMedia bill was £111.50 per month! Used ismybillfair https://www.ismybillfair.com who contacted VirginMedia on my behalf. Within a week I got a letter asking me to call them to discuss my contract. Within 2 minutes they took £30 per month off, pushed a bit more and got another £10 off.

The people I spoke to were brilliant, did wonder if they get a bonus for keeping customers?

4 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

My VirginMedia bill was £111.50 per month! Used ismybillfair https://www.ismybillfair.com who contacted VirginMedia on my behalf. Within a week I got a letter asking me to call them to discuss my contract. Within 2 minutes they took £30 per month off, pushed a bit more and got another £10 off.

The people I spoke to were brilliant, did wonder if they get a bonus for keeping customers?

Thanks for that I will have a look into it.

I'm content paying anything under 100 for my services as myself and child get a fair amount of use out of it but the 130 mark is just a bit too much imo.

When you add on things like Netflix, Prime and Spotify plus the odd box office event then it really does all add up. 

How much would it be to just keep the Virgin Internet and ditch the TV?

I get my internet/phone through work and have just a TV package off Sky - after moaning and negotiating I get the full TV package including Sky Q/Sport etc for around £50 - I can't see Virgin Internet being more than that.

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

How much would it be to just keep the Virgin Internet and ditch the TV?

I get my internet/phone through work and have just a TV package off Sky - after moaning and negotiating I get the full TV package including Sky Q/Sport etc for around £50 - I can't see Virgin Internet being more than that.

Here you go http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+much+is+Virgin+Media+Broadband+only

44 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Sarcastic git :P I'm too lazy to go looking up the prices when the OS could do that for himself. I was just letting him know how much the TV package can be got for on Sky!

I negotiated an Internet only package from Vigin 100meg for £40. Two week's later the price went up to £42.  So I saved only £ 3  for losing the landline and basic TV package

Yesterday they phoned me saying that because I had been a long serving customer they were going to GIVE me an increase in speed and  a new router   ( neither of which I needed ) at the end of the conversation they said this gift was going to cost me an extra £2 a month. 

Archived