IGNORED

He has a good touch!

mossey

Jamie McAllisters comment in tonight's evil post about Famara Diedhiou! Fair did make I laugh, surely he's joking, and just trying to build the blokes confidence. 

He has the worst first touch I have seen for a long time, and that's saying something,ball always bounces about 3 ft away when he tries to control it. And not the one one to think this, heard it said by some many other people. Come Jamie if going to say something about a player to help build him up and restore confidence, keep it realistic! 

I wonder whether there was more room to play in France as his first touch (chest or foot) often takes the ball too far from him and within the opposition's space to intercept/steal.

He can take the ball down brilliantly but it seems more likely when his marker is at distance.

You never quite know what you're going to get - brilliant coming on at West Brom and anonymous against Preston.

7 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I wonder whether there was more room to play in France as his first touch (chest or foot) often takes the ball too far from him and within the opposition's space to intercept/steal.

He can take the ball down brilliantly but it seems more likely when his marker is at distance.

You never quite know what you're going to get - brilliant coming on at West Brom and anonymous against Preston.

I guess that a lot depends on who is marking him.

I remember a while back @Esmond Million's Bung said he remembered seeing him play live for Angers before he joined here.

Now while the Championship is likely better than Ligue 1, we are also probably a better side than Angers.

Anyway from what I recall from the post, Diedhiou was a lone striker with little support as Angers were a struggling side.

Would be interesting to read further observations from EMB, what he had there, what he's lacking here- did he put himself about more there, was he supported with wingers albeit in a counterattacking shape- that kinda thing!

27 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Nevermind people's opinion of FD's first touch, the bloke has the best LAST touch of anyone available to play up front for City as it stands.

And that'll do me.

Let's get behind the guy on Saturday, sing his name and get his confidence up for a bastard tough game.

COYR

I remember the Wolves Manager answering the criticism of Steve Bulls first touch with the answer "but his 2nd one usually ends up in the net". Says it all really.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember the Wolves Manager answering the criticism of Steve Bulls first touch with the answer "but his 2nd one usually ends up in the net". Says it all really.

It's a good riposte but the game was rather different then- dunno if it holds so.much therefore. How organises sides are, their defensive structure etc...

Still they all count.

I quite like him, although he is a bit Jeckle & Hyde. One minute he can have a great touch, turn and either shoot or lay the ball off, the next he can look like a bounce board. One thing I will say (if Wiki is to be believed), last year he had 13 in 32 , that's approaching 1 in 2. This year 5 in 16 , which seeing as he started the season with a 6 game ban isn't too shabby. Plus , it's not like we're storming the league , far from it. 
If we were in the position to spend another £5m or more on another striker then things would be different, but I think we HAVE to stick with him and play him as we can't keep haemorrhaging money on every player we sign so we have Fam. Personally I would stick with him and if we were in the market, it would be for a real pacey , on the shoulder type striker. 

2 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I’ve seen games where his first touch is a shot and others where looked world class, same with the snake

Consistency the key 

Also, a very tough gig playing as a back-to-goal striker in the Champ.  Tammy had games where the ball didn’t stick.  Famara is not a target man....he’s mis-labelled as a target-man because of his size.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember a while back @Esmond Million's Bung said he remembered seeing him play live for Angers before he joined here.

Now while the Championship is likely better than Ligue 1, we are also probably a better side than Angers.

Anyway from what I recall from the post, Diedhiou was a lone striker with little support as Angers were a struggling side.

Would be interesting to read further observations from EMB, what he had there, what he's lacking here- did he put himself about more there, was he supported with wingers albeit in a counterattacking shape- that kinda thing!

He might’ve been up-top on his own, but the stuff I watched of him in Angers and less so before that at Clermont, was latching onto through balls or being able to run at defenders having faced them up.  The odd headed goal too.

@Shtanley @Esmond Million's Bung What is your view.  Shtanley, you put me onto him in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also, a very tough gig playing as a back-to-goal striker in the Champ.  Tammy had games where the ball didn’t stick.  Famara is not a target man....he’s mis-labelled as a target-man because of his size.

He might’ve been up-top on his own, but the stuff I watched of him in Angers and less so before that at Clermont, was latching onto through balls or being able to run at defenders having faced them up.  The odd headed goal too.

@Shtanley @Esmond Million's Bung What is your view.  Shtanley, you put me onto him in the first place.

Think Angers played a pretty fast counter attacking game. 2 fast wingers getting early crosses in. Think Diedhiou will start getting a decent number of goals with our new style. Just gotta get used to it and get players near to him. 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Think Angers played a pretty fast counter attacking game. 2 fast wingers getting early crosses in. Think Diedhiou will start getting a decent number of goals with our new style. Just gotta get used to it and get players near to him. 

Wait, what, we've got a new style? Pray tell, what is it?

And while you're at it, what was our old style?!

Archived