IGNORED

Norwich City - Sat (H) 17:30 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Blimey.  This a bit of a strange one, I think Norwich have not to the top of the Championship under my radar.  I’ve seen very little of them.

Managed by German Daniel Farke, they have have had to sell off the family silver (Maddison, Prichard, both Murphy’s, Howson etc) over the past 18 months to handle the fall from Prem to Champ and reduced Parachute Payments due to the short stint back in the Prem.

What was a transitional season in 17/18 is starting to bear fruit this season, on a run of 38 points from their last 15 games!

76FE48A3-BCB6-4894-B19F-A18232834399.jpeg.ae4ec595598b2a5517b4ce7d9ef30b44.jpeg

There are of course some better known players in their line-up, like ex-Newcastle keeper Tim Krul, midfielder Alex Tettey, but the squad is a blend of home-grown youngster like Jamal Lewis, Todd Cantwell and Max Aarons, with imports like Pukki from Brondby and Buendia from Getafe.

Pukki is an interesting case, as he wasn’t signed from a German club, but Danish club Brondby via Celtic, having previously been at Schalke 04. 7 goals in his last 6 games marks him out as a dangerman.

What Farke has done is build a core of players he knows well, Klose the experienced Swiss-German and Zimmerman as his two CBs, Vrancic and Stiepermann in midfield, forming the core.  These players have arrived at low-cost for their experience (albeit not Champ experience) and integrated into Farke’s possession based style.  

They are playing with obvious confidence and I think it is going to be a game of patience tomorrow evening, and a 0-0 wouldn’t surprise me. 

Feel free to add any insight.

There academy is excellent and so is there scouting set up... i rate their manager highly and considering wot he's lost since he's been there just goes to show wot can be achieved with little money spent and understanding basics then adapted your players around it tactically that everyone is comfortable with..... Perfect game tommorow just hope we turn up and bloody go for it with pace to get behind them as they do conceded but we need to get a foot hold in MF...... 

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Lewis and Cantwell are great youngsters. Aarons has come out of nowhere though, they rate him as much as we do Kelly. Though he is a right back not a centre back.

I think it’s great to see how many games these young’uns are playing, Lewis (20) 20, games, Aarons (18) 15+, Cantwell (20) 10+.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not expecting to come away with anything tomorrow TBH.  A point would probably be a decent result bearing in mind their recent form.

Me neither. It`s one of those games IMO where the performance matters more than the result. We need to go at them from the off and if we lose playing well so be it. I can`t see any point in setting out to stop them and probably lose a dour game 2-0.

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Lewis and Cantwell are great youngsters. Aarons has come out of nowhere though, they rate him as much as we do Kelly. Though he is a right back not a centre back.

Don’t know much about Cantwell. Was going to say about their young fullbacks though. Lewis played last year at AG and I thought he was fantastic. 

Interesting that a lot of their stars were bought last season and needed a season of adapting. Though Pukki probably making a massive difference on his own! 

Norwich have scored a third of their goals in the last 15 minutes of games, including a few in added time.

With City having scored 72% of goals in the second half of games it could be a lively last 20 minutes or so.

I can see something like a 3-2 either way.

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Norwich have scored a third of their goals in the last 15 minutes of games, including a few in added time.

With City having scored 72% of goals in the second half of games it could be a lively last 20 minutes or so.

I can see something like a 3-2 either way.

We've not conceded a single goal in the last 15! 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blimey.  This a bit of a strange one, I think Norwich have not to the top of the Championship under my radar.  I’ve seen very little of them.

Managed by German Daniel Farke, they have have had to sell off the family silver (Maddison, Prichard, both Murphy’s, Howson etc) over the past 18 months to handle the fall from Prem to Champ and reduced Parachute Payments due to the short stint back in the Prem.

What was a transitional season in 17/18 is starting to bear fruit this season, on a run of 38 points from their last 15 games!

76FE48A3-BCB6-4894-B19F-A18232834399.jpeg.ae4ec595598b2a5517b4ce7d9ef30b44.jpeg

There are of course some better known players in their line-up, like ex-Newcastle keeper Tim Krul, midfielder Alex Tettey, but the squad is a blend of home-grown youngster like Jamal Lewis, Todd Cantwell and Max Aarons, with imports like Pukki from Brondby and Buendia from Getafe.

Pukki is an interesting case, as he wasn’t signed from a German club, but Danish club Brondby via Celtic, having previously been at Schalke 04. 7 goals in his last 6 games marks him out as a dangerman.

What Farke has done is build a core of players he knows well, Klose the experienced Swiss-German and Zimmerman as his two CBs, Vrancic and Stiepermann in midfield, forming the core.  These players have arrived at low-cost for their experience (albeit not Champ experience) and integrated into Farke’s possession based style.  

They are playing with obvious confidence and I think it is going to be a game of patience tomorrow evening, and a 0-0 wouldn’t surprise me. 

Feel free to add any insight.

Me, Toby and Tills are bringing a blanket. Or two. It’ll be cold. Or called.

And someone might take the spare ST and be harangued about Mr L.

We’re confident of a resounding win......

Knowing LJ he is likely to tinker with things. It wouldn't surprise me if we went with just 1 up front.

I also think O'Dowda is worth a start in midfield. If he plays well, it's good for us both in the immediate as someone looking to go forward from the midfield plus potentially boosting his price should he be off in January.

A good challenge to play a team bang in form. If we come out of this with a draw or even better, I would feel  much more confident going into the New Year.

@JonDolman shared this link earlier https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/english-football/championship/championship-gameweek-22-bristol-city-to-stun-farkes-fledglings/  Our shots data is far better than I would have thought. I think to have a chance we need to get our attack ticking & Fam has to be having one of his good days. The clip from the blog (below) might give us a little hope as they do concede goals. I hope we play with real width and get Eliasson and ODowda getting at the FB's. It's a real shame we are so light in numbers in CMF, pretty much means Pato has to play and I'd rest Weimann to get Calum in. the rest of the team picks itself. A draw would be a decent result, specially given our recent run, I just hope we can hit some form and put on a display a little more pleasing on the eye. 
I nearly did both teams to score, City to win and Fam anytime goalscorer, but I'm too superstitious . Feel free to use this :thumbsup:

As it will be Chilly and wet, we better win or I'll be miserable come 8pm and I'm driving so watching sober :noexp:

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 20.28.08.png

Archived