IGNORED

LJ in "The Times" today; 300th game as manager

ashton_fan

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t get the vitriol towards @Davefevs - you are disturbing his ‘mellow phase’ !! If we were sat in 6th place in the championship and LJ said in an interview with a national newspaper that he thinks he can win the premier league with Bristol City I’d still have said he is being unrealistic - so it would have been mentioned...when we were in 2nd place nearly a year ago I still didn’t think we were going to win the premier league anytime soon under the current management ...did you?

the new Leicester? don't pick on daves 

• Admin
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks RR.  I posted a piece a number of weeks back about him having a lack of a true mentor outside of his Dad.  Whilst having a father in football is great, I debated the point whether he had a mentor of any pedigree as either a player or as a young Head-Coach.  I couldn’t find one.

The likes of Frank Lampard, not only had his own top-level career, but had a dad who played top-flight, and uncle, and several managers to look up to, or in some cases think ‘I ain’t gonna be like that”.

Even those without great pro careers, like Wenger, had an influential coach / manager (with pedigree) to learn from / look up to.

After I wrote that I actually felt a bit sorry for him, although the slightly harder / cynical side of me thought “you wanted the challenge”.

That is why I have often thought he could do with a real football man as a Footballing DoF, not a Financial DoF (see CEO Mark Ashton).

He is undoubtedly a student of the game, lives and breathes the game.  I cannot fault that....wish I had that drive.  But I think the missing piece in the jigsaw would be someone like a ‘Joe Jordan’ type to be there day-to-day to just pass on experience that isn’t from the Johnson family tree.

Just one final thing RR....do you think there is a bit of - ‘I’m a better head-coach than my dad, he was just a motivator, and yet he almost got this club into the Prem...I’ve got to be able to do that, it he’ll always have bragging rights”?

@Badger08 - does any of the above say “Dave Fevs wants LJ out”?

You almost had me but I cracked your code. ?

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

In his prime it was Brian Cloughs powerful personality that made him so successful. I remember one Forest player - Robertson I think who said that BC never ever discussed tactics and simply stuck to a basic 4-4-2.......and allowed the players to work it out themselves - compare that way to today’s ways of managing.........

I also think he never allowed his players to pass the all backwards without need

I mentioned the following:

On 12/12/2018 at 09:00, Fuber said:

True which is why Im content at the moment.

The issue for me is still this - if you hadn't looked at the league table, would we of looked much like a top half team?

Because in my book that's definately questionable. We've been incredibly lucky. The main reason I'm content is the Birmingham game, a tight fixture which we showed a bit of grit and got across the line.

If we play Norwich and actually show a bit of composure and determination - fair play LJ - if we sit back and focus on countering Farke's tactics while playing at home? I'd be a bit disappointed we weren't more brave.

My issue isn't the league table, I just feel a manager with an actual visible and appropriate system could do better.

You don't get anywhere without risk.

And have been critical of LJ the past 2 months. However, per what I mentioned with regards to playing Norwich above.

Great Performance from the team, and we'll done LJ.

My only criticism was that we should probably of made use of the subs as we faded I.e. Morrell for a body in the middle, or DaSilva to help shut up shop, rather than making changes only when we seem to concede.

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I mentioned the following:

And have been critical of LJ the past 2 months. However, per what I mentioned with regards to playing Norwich above.

Great Performance from the team, and we'll done LJ.

My only criticism was that we should probably of made use of the subs as we faded I.e. Morrell for a body in the middle, or DaSilva to help shut up shop, rather than making changes only when we seem to concede.

Da Silva wasn't on the bench (again) - is he injured?

17 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

I am afraid I cannot take his comments seriously. After a few half decent results the self promotion starts again. No wonder he is unpopular with his players. All" Me,me,me".

He should ask the fans if they think he is doing a good job.  You bring him down a peg or two.

Self promotion??  Do you think he somehow persuaded The Times to do this interview.  Or maybe, just perhaps, might the rest of the football world have a different view of LJ than OTIB?

4 minutes ago, red panda said:

Self promotion??  Do you think he somehow persuaded The Times to do this interview.  Or maybe, just perhaps, might the rest of the football world have a different view of LJ than OTIB?

Bristol City may well have persuaded The Times to do this interview. I worked in media relations for over 20 years and most of the press and tv interviews with our senior management team and above were instigated by us approaching them and suggesting they talk to our people....

That's an enlightening interview.

Johnson used 'I' 68 times, and 'we' 4 times.

He used 'me' 6 times, and 'us' once.

He used 'my' 11 times, and 'our' once.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it (and someone rightly pointed out above that it was an interview with him, and about him, as it was his 300th game), but it just comes over a little too much 'me, me, me....look at me, everyone' for my liking.

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

That's an enlightening interview.

Johnson used 'I' 68 times, and 'we' 4 times.

He used 'me' 6 times, and 'us' once.

He used 'my' 11 times, and 'our' once.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it (and someone rightly pointed out above that it was an interview with him, and about him, as it was his 300th game), but it just comes over a little too much 'me, me, me....look at me, everyone' for my liking.

Your final paragraph answers yourself particularly where it was pointed out that the interview was about  him........

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

However , that doesn’t account for his ‘ I Would walk the Championship with a decent budget’ at the Forum

Not ‘ We would walk’

Also, in the article "In the meantime I've got to get promoted", not "we've got to get promoted".

Perhaps my final paragraph did answer myself, but as I said previously, the tone of that interview just comes over as 'self before side'.

43 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

However , that doesn’t account for his ‘ I Would walk the Championship with a decent budget’ at the Forum

Not ‘ We would walk’

I assume you mean the fans forum held at AG recently. I wasn’t there so can’t comment.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bristol City may well have persuaded The Times to do this interview. I worked in media relations for over 20 years and most of the press and tv interviews with our senior management team and above were instigated by us approaching them and suggesting they talk to our people....

Agree completely, can’t imagine that in an editorial meeting The Times suddenly decided that the manager of an average Champ club would enthrall their readers.

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Agree completely, can’t imagine that in an editorial meeting The Times suddenly decided that the manager of an average Champ club would enthrall their readers.

Henry Winter has been to AG previously after the redevelopment of AG was completed and wrote a praiseworthy article about Bristol City so he’s very familiar with the club and I daresay he’s taken an interest in how the club is developing since. 

He’d have either realised or been notified that LJ was about to reach 300 matches as manager and opted to conduct the interview. 

Its very beneficial to have a well respected journalist taking an interest in our club and why not take advantage of that when you can?

The whole Man City thing is incredibly David Brent. 

And winning the Premiership even more ridiculous than Europe in 5 years. 

I love arrogance in a sportsperson. But only when it’s well placed... Mayweather, Shane Warne, Christiano Ronaldo (alright I don’t like him), but honestly, is Johnson for real?

36 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I’m sure the only reason this interview took place and published was the Times/Sky connection and a live televised game?

6 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I’m sure the only reason this interview took place and published was the Times/Sky connection and a live televised game?

As I posted just now Henry Winter is very familiar with our club having written an article previously about us.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not ‘ We would walk’

The arrogance is breathtaking particularly given he has achieved ZERO in football management.

If you make the assumption, and it is a HUGE assumption, that he makes statements similar to that at the Trainig Ground and the dressing room it is hardly a mystery that he would appear to have issues with senior players.

On 15 December 2018 at 11:58, steviestevieneville said:

Not at all . Is it realistic to say he thinks he can win the prem with us ? 

Why doesn’t he just say . We need to challenge to get out of this league first which would be a huge achievement for the club. We can worry about anything else after that. 

...but that's not the dream is it?

If you're going to dream, why aim low and there's no point in planning just for promotion, that's a recipe for immediate relegation.

I think it's a great interview, a manager with ambition who believes he can do it, can improve players and is more than a match for all the overseas mediocrity which is flooding our game at managerial level

After reading the interview, it only reinforces my opinion of LJ.

By way of a contrast, I happened to speak to Cotts at some length not long after he was dismissed. It was blantantly obvious that he had bags of confidence, passion and belief. But it was all in reference to his team and his belief in them. "They're a great bunch of lads",  "much too good to go down," "they'll get out of trouble" etc. Now misguided or not,  it was very clear he had built a strong bond and real belief in the players he had brought together.

Not sure LJ has the same team building skills or ability. Which, without a top budget, might be a necessary quality required to make a real challenge.

21 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The arrogance is breathtaking particularly given he has achieved ZERO in football management.

If you make the assumption, and it is a HUGE assumption, that he makes statements similar to that at the Trainig Ground and the dressing room it is hardly a mystery that he would appear to have issues with senior players.

It really is completely cringeworthy. He brings it on himself - he doesn’t need to do it but seems to revel in bigging himself up. Would be so much more liked and dare I say respected if he was more humble. Imho anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

...but that's not the dream is it?

If you're going to dream, why aim low and there's no point in planning just for promotion, that's a recipe for immediate relegation.

I think it's a great interview, a manager with ambition who believes he can do it, can improve players and is more than a match for all the overseas mediocrity which is flooding our game at managerial level

Nothing wrong with ambition but saying he believes we can win the prem is bollocks . Just like saying Europe in 5 years, it’s cringeworthy . Getting promoted is a achievable ambition though 

Archived