IGNORED

Bad calendar years

AberRed

Got curious this morning so decided to have a look at how 2018 has been for us as a calendar year. If it was a season, it wouldn't be a good one.

Played

Win

Draw

Loss

Could still be recovered by a good Christmas period I suppose but would probably still be relegation form.

I was curious about any truly terrible calendar years we've had? I remember 2013 being a bad one, being relegated and then being 21st in League One on NYD.
Anyone remember any others?

11 minutes ago, AberRed said:

I was curious about any truly terrible calendar years we've had? I remember 2013 being a bad one, being relegated and then being 21st in League One on NYD.

1980? near the foot of Div 1 on New Year's Day  and near the foot of Div 2 on New Year's Eve.

1 hour ago, AberRed said:

Got curious this morning so decided to have a look at how 2018 has been for us as a calendar year. If it was a season, it wouldn't be a good one.

Played

Win

Draw

Loss

Could still be recovered by a good Christmas period I suppose but would probably still be relegation form.

A good Christmas period would take us up to 55 points at least. Not relegation form at all. In fact, 49 would have had us 18th last season. Let’s not dress this up as something it’s not.

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

A good Christmas period would take us up to 55 points at least. Not relegation form at all. In fact, 49 would have had us 18th last season. Let’s not dress this up as something it’s not.

Fair point. Probably should have said 'relegation fight' form. Teams have been relegated with more than 50 points before.

In my time watching City, 2013 ranks as my absolute number 1 shit calendar year football wise.

Utter dross, one or two ok results here and there but on the whole it was rubbish. Started January with a bit of hope that we might survive in the Championship when O’Driscoll arrived, bottom of L1 on Christmas Day genuinely wondering if we were going to end up in L2.

2018 has been a doddle compared to that.

2014 on the other hand is probably one of my favourite calendar years so far. From Bottom of L1 Xmas 2013 to top of L1 and heading for promotion Xmas 2014.

Not sure anything beats 1981 - before Christmas the wheels were really falling off the wagon...incredibly depressing! A year later we were bottom of the league but at least there was no further to fall. And as it turned out things were about to turn the corner under the great TC. I recall getting very excited by a win at Hereford just after Christmas in which I think Nyerere Kelly scored....small mercies. By contrast comfortably mid-table in the second tier is dreamland!

7 hours ago, AberRed said:

Played

Win

Draw

Loss

Generally 50 points is enough for safety.

So while very poor form, 49 points in 4 matches less than a seasons worth is slightly better than relegation form.

Archived