IGNORED

Gary Neville - The Debate - Mourhinio

BobBobSuperBob

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just watched Geoff Peters talking to Gary Neville about United and post Jose

Blimey does that bloke talk some sense

Well worth a watch on catch up or repeat  , his views on club structure etc are well worth listening too

Agreed.

I think it’s a shame that his spell at Valencia tarred him somewhat.

I get why he felt he had to take the job, given his close connections with the owner but it was a big ask given where they were at that point and the fact that he did not speak the language .

I still think he will become a PL manager at some point.

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well worth a watch on catch up or repeat  , his views on club structure etc are well worth listening too

Yes, they are years behind other clubs in terms of infrastructure. Mourinho, who has little interest in such things and just wanted to replace big money signings with even bigger money ones, was never the right choice.

Likewise, Woodward is too involved in the recruitment side - unlike our own beloved Chief Executive ? - and they need a DoF.

Arsenal finally caught up with the times, against Wenger's wishes, and it's time Utd did the same.

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I like Gary Neville but it’s easy to talk sense after the event.

His time at Valencia proved that actually getting it right when it matters is completely different.

His time as coach at Valencia has no bearing on the points he has been making for a long time about United's infrastructure. Nothing after the event about it and he is right that just sacking managers will not solve their problems.

39 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I like Gary Neville but it’s easy to talk sense after the event.

His time at Valencia proved that actually getting it right when it matters is completely different.

He concedes it was an error , a Club he had no knowledge of , Or goodwill at

Id have him at our Club income role  an instant

Sensible, intelligent , straight speaking, no buzzwords , simple sensible talk regarding on field and off it

I heard him on ssn yesterday and he said that the club has not been doing things right for the last 7 years. That would have included the last 2 years on sir Alex's time. Whether he got his maths wrong in the moment of live TV, I don't know, but they won the league in that final year. I don't buy that Moyes inherited a bad side, it's clear he was well out of his depth. David Gill leaving at the same time was also a bad thing for united, he probably should have stayed on for a few more years to have that continuation. Or maybe Neville was right and Gill and Sir Alex saw what was planned in those final 2 years. 

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It's a big job. No point taking an up and coming manager.  They need someone who has proved himself at the top level.

Oops, they've already tried that ?

My feeling is that Zidane maybe a decent bet though.

If it's Zidane why would they wait until the summer to announce it ? 

He is available now isn't he ? 

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, they are years behind other clubs in terms of infrastructure. Mourinho, who has little interest in such things and just wanted to replace big money signings with even bigger money ones, was never the right choice.

Likewise, Woodward is too involved in the recruitment side - unlike our own beloved Chief Executive ? - and they need a DoF.

Arsenal finally caught up with the times, against Wenger's wishes, and it's time Utd did the same.

Didn’t Bobby Charlton once say that Mourinho would never be the manager at MU, that he was a completely wrong fit?

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Best bit was Neville talks about how United need to restructure employing the best in the world

Geoff Peters asks Neville if he would be interested in being part of a new set up

Neville ‘ No , I’m not fit for purpose, I said the best, the very best ‘

Neville has adapted perfectly to being a pundit.........upset loads of  managers - included Harry Redknap...

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Best bit was Neville talks about how United need to restructure employing the best in the world

Geoff Peters asks Neville if he would be interested in being part of a new set up

Neville ‘ No , I’m not fit for purpose, I said the best, the very best

Someone that tried his hand at management, failed miserably, and is quite open/honest about it.

Wasn't a very popular player outside of Old Trafford, but certainly knows what he's talking about. I think a lot of supporters have changed their opinion of him since becoming a pundit.

In this day and age, for someone to say something like that, is actually quite refreshing.

I actually feel for Mourinho and I dont even like him and cant stand Man Utd. But the players like Pogba and Lingard need to shoulder some responsibility their behaviour showed a lack of respect towards their boss and I cant help but feel they had a hand in him being sacked.

Biggest club in the World? My arse. ?

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought so as well Bob. As much as I've always disliked him he's almost making me change my mind.

10 hours ago, The Batman said:

I heard him on ssn yesterday and he said that the club has not been doing things right for the last 7 years. That would have included the last 2 years on sir Alex's time. Whether he got his maths wrong in the moment of live TV, I don't know, but they won the league in that final year. I don't buy that Moyes inherited a bad side, it's clear he was well out of his depth. David Gill leaving at the same time was also a bad thing for united, he probably should have stayed on for a few more years to have that continuation. Or maybe Neville was right and Gill and Sir Alex saw what was planned in those final 2 years. 

I think there is some truth in Moyes inheriting an under strength squad, Moyes just didn't have the motivating element that Fergie had and also players like RVP signed for Utd to play for Fergie so that makes them more motivated than playing under Moyes. Part of the reason they couldn't get the big transfers over the line that summer. That being said I also think Moyes approached the job in the wrong way, his tactics were far too defensive for Utd, a hangover from the mentality of being the Everton manager where it was sometimes a necessity, it was what made him successful so tried sticking by it.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t Bobby Charlton once say that Mourinho would never be the manager at MU, that he was a completely wrong fit?

He certainly did. Barca also didn't appoint him ahead of Pep precisely because he was constantly in conflict with the media and others.

As an aside, Jonathan Wilson's The Barcelona Legacy is a good read/listen:

https://www.tifofootball.com/podcast/the-barcelona-legacy-jonathan-wilson/

Allegedly Pochettino was in the frame at the time but they went for a proven winner. It will now cost them millions in compensation to get him as there is no buy out clause in his contract.

Woodward is the man responsible for serially botching the succession to Sir Alex but he is awfully good at finding official noodles partners!

4 hours ago, One BCFC said:

I actually feel for Mourinho and I dont even like him and cant stand Man Utd. But the players like Pogba and Lingard need to shoulder some responsibility their behaviour showed a lack of respect towards their boss and I cant help but feel they had a hand in him being sacked.

Biggest club in the World? My arse. ?

What did Lingard do?

Mourinho was the wrong fit, you know what you are getting with him. You can’t blame him for taking a job for the biggest club in the world. But you can blame the person/people who hired him. Then to offer him a contract extension this summer ( I think) & not back him with the players he wanted is crazy ( yes I know they’ve spent 100’s of millions). The players are a disgrace if the stories coming out are true ( dancing in the changing rooms after losing, telling Mourinho to F off in training). Would love to of seen Roy Keane get in that changing room & sort a few out. Like Keane said “ players hiding behind their tattoos, girlfriends & cars”, all that’s wrong with football imo. Personal/ professional pride has to come into your mindset at some point surely? As for Neville, has always talked sense, but people couldn’t see beyond the fact he played for United. COYR 

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Mourinho was the wrong fit, you know what you are getting with him. You can’t blame him for taking a job for the biggest club in the world. But you can blame the person/people who hired him. Then to offer him a contract extension this summer ( I think) & not back him with the players he wanted is crazy ( yes I know they’ve spent 100’s of millions). The players are a disgrace if the stories coming out are true ( dancing in the changing rooms after losing, telling Mourinho to F off in training). Would love to of seen Roy Keane get in that changing room & sort a few out. Like Keane said “ players hiding behind their tattoos, girlfriends & cars”, all that’s wrong with football imo. Personal/ professional pride has to come into your mindset at some point surely? As for Neville, has always talked sense, but people couldn’t see beyond the fact he played for United. COYR 

Redknapp was saying he’d heard tales of Pogba and a few others openly rowing and showing dissent on a constant basis to JM 

Had to come to an end

JM looks a bit fed up with it all 

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I haven't seen anything from him yet that suggests he'd make a good manager. His spell in Spain was terrible and was an awful coach with England. You don't have the use of hindsight as a manager. Being a pundit is a very easy job, and he is only good because there are so many terrible, boring ones out there who say the obvious IMO

Agreed- though he is a sharp pundit.

Let's not forget how bad his spell at Valencia was though. They were top 8 when he went there and though it was a tough job and they were off the top 4 pace, pushing towards the top 6 should have been well within range.

Instead he proceeded- well before he joined and up to the game he watched from the stand that they drew with Barcelona, from August 2014 to that game in La Liga they lost once at home. Once- that's a fortress or on its way to one.

Think his home record in the League was 1 win, 3 draws and 4 losses! Double quick time, a (relative) fortress to a sandcastle. His overall record was 14 pts from 16 games.

A squad that contained such while not all top, but off top of my head, such players as Cancelo, Mustafi, Gomes, Alcacer albeit were quite younger at this stage. 

Plus Gaya who is now a regular there and in and around Spain side, keeper like Alves who while aging still useful at that time. 

He shouldn't have led them to the edges of a relegation scrap that's a given!

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Redknapp was saying he’d heard tales of Pogba and a few others openly rowing and showing dissent on a constant basis to JM 

Had to come to an end

JM looks a bit fed up with it all 

Have heard the same. Think come the end he almost engineered the sack. Think the message from above was he wouldn’t win that particular war. Which wouldn’t of happened with Fergie, the player would of been gone, simple as that. COYR 

47 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Have heard the same. Think come the end he almost engineered the sack. Think the message from above was he wouldn’t win that particular war. Which wouldn’t of happened with Fergie, the player would of been gone, simple as that. COYR 

Dunno about that- well yeah engineered sack maybe, but player power such as it is super agents- wasn't such a big thing even 5 or 6 seasons ago. Player can sit on a very expensive contract, which makes it very difficult for the club.

Mourinho tried public tough love and very few responded. He tried similar at Chelsea in 2015 yet the players remained and he eventually got sacked. When/if a dressing room wants you out mid-season it's very difficult these days to reverse that. I know they didn't build from a position of strength, but managers have to act differently- not even sure if Ferguson would be immune from the whims of modern elite players. He probably wouldn't have re-signed Pogba however!

Archived