IGNORED

Clevedon U18s v Man City U18s

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Lost 4-0, no discrace in that and for some it will be the Pinnacle of their career. Fair play to them

Indeed and 2 goals late on when they were going for it.  Defo look like the first team are going to benifit the next few years 

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I'm sure we (and all the other south west clubs and possibly more further afield) will be all over this and we could see a few lads in the academy soon

I’ve seen quite a lot of boys/youth football over the years and most would of been picked up by now if they were good enough, a few might earn a few quid at Western league level but that’s usually about it but who knows one or two might have’slipped through the net’

1 minute ago, harrys said:

I’ve seen quite a lot of boys/youth football over the years and most would of been picked up by now if they were good enough, a few might earn a few quid at Western league level but that’s usually about it but who knows one or two might have’slipped through the net’

Think a few of the better ones are ex city/rovers academy players. Sure one or two might make it higher as you say. 

Just now, harrys said:

I suppose these lads are leaving school so it really is make or break time. 

40 minutes ago, TomF said:

Think a few of the better ones are ex city/rovers academy players. Sure one or two might make it higher as you say. 

The biggest problem they’ll face will be trying to control their lifestyle, not easy at 18, it’s always been the way that the best local under 18 teams are stacked with ex academy players, I remember particularly Bitton, Mangotsfield, Bishop Sutton and Ashton & Backwell having great teams in various years. Good luck to the young lads

4 hours ago, devoncider said:

I'm sure we (and all the other south west clubs and possibly more further afield) will be all over this and we could see a few lads in the academy soon

We saw Brian Tinnion there watching last night. I also read there was several other scouts and managers watching, including Gary Johnson. 

4 hours ago, harrys said:

I agree with you Harrys, I’ve watched a lot of youth football as well over the last 15 years, most of the top lads in this area go into the Western League. The exceptional ones go a bit higher. But if you haven’t been to an academy it’s very hard to go a lot higher.  

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Half of them are playing Western League already at 17/18 in their first team so will no doubt hoping to end up higher than that. Clevedon have made it clear they are a stepping stone for these lads.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I agree with you Harrys, I’ve watched a lot of youth football as well over the last 15 years, most of the top lads in this area go into the Western League. The exceptional ones go a bit higher. But if you haven’t been to an academy it’s very hard to go a lot higher.  

when you say the exceptional ones go a bit higher, purely out of curiosity how high do you mean? National League or Southern league?

2 hours ago, devoncider said:

when you say the exceptional ones go a bit higher, purely out of curiosity how high do you mean? National League or Southern league?

I don’t know of any that have got as high as the national league, just think of all the players who have been let go by the Bristol teams at 18 plus over the years, you won’t see many of them playing as high as national league

Was a great night. Clevedon did as well as any team do in the prem trying to keep up with the man city machine.

The Clevedon keeper was fantastic, and faultless clearance kicking on a wet bobbly pitch.

Man city were a chip off the seniors block. The speed of closing down was breathtaking. Wright-phillips junior was impressive. 

Even the man city warm up stands out. While bcfc pepper the South stand with mis hit shots from simple layoffs, all the city players were hitting the target from a variety of fizzed short crosses, again despite a poor pitch. Simply technique, keeping knee over ball.

Great night, loved it. But wetter than an otters pocket getting home.

Archived