IGNORED

Jack Marriott

Redmycolour

53 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Must admit I found LJ's comments confusing on this one. I myself saw Marriott in Bristol around the supposed time of the transfer. Of course it could be coincidence, or it could be mistaken identity, but who knows.

There was a lot of speculation that he was in Majorca on his break and jumped on a plane to go somewhere.  Lots of guesswork re which plane he was on to which airport.

No idea whether he flew here for chats or not. 

Of subject a little but what with Lansdown saying today he would be disappointed with anything below top6 this season(i think he's been at the Christmas sherry all ready)surley there must be a time soon when we have got to gamble with ffp and splash the cash.the new stadium feel good factor I think is now wearing off and fans will be looking at the next stage

5 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Johnson claims he tried to sign Marriott, but failed, financial reasons, bullsxxt, Marriott stated he didn't want to come down South with his family, and other clubs wouldn't pay his wage demands, speak the truth for once Johnson and stop hiding behind Landsdown,

Hiding behind, who, now?

58 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Of subject a little but what with Lansdown saying today he would be disappointed with anything below top6 this season(i think he's been at the Christmas sherry all ready)surley there must be a time soon when we have got to gamble with ffp and splash the cash.the new stadium feel good factor I think is now wearing off and fans will be looking at the next stage

I would say...Summer 2020 if I'm looking at it in accounting terms. We'll get one year in 3 where we can and given it's a rolling FFP our new 3 year cycle currently is 2016/17-this season and after this season it will be 2017-18-2019-2020 which means that the £25m loss (before deductions for FFP) is our starting point. Can lose £39m before deductions and already lost £21m? Means we can lose only £18m over the next 2 seasons so it's a bit of a tightrope.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Unfortunately @Redmycolour is one of a few on here who have a personal agenda against Johnson and try and find any way possible to pick fault with him.

Unfortunately, he/she is willing to make up rubbish to back up this personal agenda which doesn't help either... 

I take it your a Johnson happy clapper, I haven't got a personal agenda against him, but never rated him as a player, and don't rate him as a coach, like many others, but I speak my mind, but don't judge me when you don't even know me, 

3 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

I take it your a Johnson happy clapper, I haven't got a personal agenda against him, but never rated him as a player, and don't rate him as a coach, like many others, but I speak my mind, but don't judge me when you don't even know me, 

Not a happy clapper, just trying to add a bit of reasoned argument, without any agenda, something you rarely seem able to do

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would say...Summer 2020 if I'm looking at it in accounting terms. We'll get one year in 3 where we can and given it's a rolling FFP our new 3 year cycle currently is 2016/17-this season and after this season it will be 2017-18-2019-2020 which means that the £25m loss (before deductions for FFP) is our starting point. Can lose £39m before deductions and already lost £21m? Means we can lose only £18m over the next 2 seasons so it's a bit of a tightrope.

Won't this summers transfers affect the next one though? So if we don't go wild in January then the next figure could be a relatively small loss which could make our next 2 seasons more comfortable?

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Won't this summers transfers affect the next one though? So if we don't go wild in January then the next figure could be a relatively small loss which could make our next 2 seasons more comfortable?

That's true- I think maybe we break even this season.

If we break even in cash terms then assuming other costs (academy etc) the same as last season then we actually make an FFP profit- say other costs 4 million then it brings our FFP loss over 2 years down to 17-18m.

Which means we could lose 21-22m (that's probably accounting loss of 25-26m next season) or we could play it steady again and look to push the boat out fully in 2020/21.

OR it could mean an accounting loss of say 4m, break even in FFP which means 18-19m loss in FFP (22-23m in accounts next year or as above if play steady have a proper big go in 2020/21.

Or split the difference and go for it to an equal extent in each of the next season, ie a moderate push in each.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's true- I think maybe we break even this season.

If we break even in cash terms then assuming other costs (academy etc) the same as last season then we actually make an FFP profit- say other costs 4 million then it brings our FFP loss over 2 years down to 17-18m.

Which means we could lose 21-22m (that's probably accounting loss of 25-26m next season) or we could play it steady again and look to push the boat out fully in 2020/21.

OR it could mean an accounting loss of say 4m, break even in FFP which means 18-19m loss in FFP (22-23m in accounts next year or as above if play steady have a proper big go in 2020/21.

Or split the difference and go for it to an equal extent in each of the next season, ie a moderate push in each.

Would be interesting for a fan opinion on the matter, would fans be willing to accept a small spend next season and hope we don't struggle to push the season after?  Could see fans still turning on LJ if we were 15th or so without spending much regardless of plan.

On 20/12/2018 at 17:08, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unless, of course, we sell someone for a good amount of £ Mr P.........

41 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh yea, Freddy HindsIGHT  ?

Good retrospective shout ??

Nothing like being  too quick with sarcasm , but in fact making yourself look completely stupid is there .........

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172494-the-official-brighton-hove-albion-v-champions-match-day-thread/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-2372479

C68A7960-B6D6-4DC7-B991-C86E9BB47A39.jpeg

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nothing like being  too quick with sarcasm , but in fact making yourself look completely stupid is there .........

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172494-the-official-brighton-hove-albion-v-champions-match-day-thread/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-2372479

C68A7960-B6D6-4DC7-B991-C86E9BB47A39.jpeg

Oh no you didn’t go and take it seriously!

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Marriott said yesterday that he never even heard anything from us in the summer. So I guess we were not even looking at signing him at all, probably due to the asking price set by a club that are tough negotiators, so doubt City felt it was worth even entering negotiations.

As for not signing him when he was at Luton, no other championship club did either. Goals are not everything for all strikers, but a bit like a Brett Pitman, Billy Sharp type, Marriott has to be judged on the numbers he scores as that is what he brings more than anything else.

He scored 12 in 47 for Luton before signing for Peterborough. And that included a 16 game goal drought in the second half of the season. For a goalscoring type striker those figures are not going to get teams at a higher level interested.

I guess the art of all recruitment is to see something in a player that nobody else has, and pick them up on the cheap. In Marriott’s case, maybe it was positions, runs, movement....but the service wasn’t there, hence his goals record at Luton wasn’t that good.  Maybe he had the wrong partner?  But the trained eye might see that....and his it might fit into the way you play.

Tammy for example was a 6 yard poaching machine for us.  Swansea don’t get many balls across the 6 yard box, so he found it more difficult with them.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes agree. It would have been an incredible bit of scouting to have got Marriott in from Luton. But then would he have become the player he has had he joined us and not Peterborough. Something happened in that summer he joined Peterborough that made him a goal machine last season. Was it down to coaching or would he have become this player regardless? Who knows.

Indeed, who knows....Bob saw something in him.

The ones that always make me wonder are the Andre Gray’s of this world, we were very interested when he was at Luton (mmmm, Luton again), but we didn’t take it further.  What if we had?  Jared Bowen another.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed, who knows....Bob saw something in him.

The ones that always make me wonder are the Andre Gray’s of this world, we were very interested when he was at Luton (mmmm, Luton again), but we didn’t take it further.  What if we had?  Jared Bowen another.

Nothing clever or rocket science 

Two things immediately struck me merely on seeing two or three of his goals

Relaxed confident Finisher 

Movement - particularly across his marker

He actually scored against us and I’m a bit amazed that he by passed our attention tbh

( The easy picks are obvious (I remember watching Matt Jansen make his debut for Carlisle and he stood out so much , I also saw his 9th or 10th game for them and by then there was a host of scouts their including Dalglish - As a Club we need to be spotting the early  signs in players )

Nathan Jones also made a mistake , but had Hylton and Collins there banging in goals so Marriott wasn’t getting much game time , but gave weight to the possible theory that he had something despite not being a regular starter 

I hadn’t seen him play but unless he had the reputation of being an idiot / bad character - I would have taken him purely on those two qualities

My one concern looked to be size but his energy and movement make up for that

(Having said that I have said , without a much deeper analysis I stillwouldn’t have thrown silly money at him in the summer)

Im no expert on player scouting , I have done it but did , predominantly , opponents - I just look for certain core qualities in different positions 

I’m not clever , I was educated listening to other scouts I sat and chatted too and remember my first lesson watching Hereford when they were in the league and they were warming up , I was busy chatting and the guy I was with , a true football man said ‘He’s a player’ , and drew my attention to a tall, ginger 16 yr / 17 yr old lad called Gareth Davies Who was making his first or second appearance as a centre half  - They’d only just started having a warm up but he commented on his touch and the way he moved - he was right , the lad had a great game for one so young

We highlighted him to Fawthrop , who ignored us and 12 months or so later starlet Davies was on his way to Everton - Unfortunately injury wrecked his career almost immediately

Lesson learned , and ever since I love watching the warm ups and little things 

I remember seeing Lloyd Kelly for the first time , in the flesh , knocking about before a game when he first appeared on the bench

His natural lithe body movement and touch suggested something potentially special

Ive commented about watching techniques on pre match shooting drills before (Bobby Reid was a great example) 

Thats the sort of things I like to watch for , bit of a self challenge to see if you get it right or wrong 

( I see some real jazz potential in COD , quick feet ,travels easily with the ball - and I see glimmers of real potential in Eisa as a goalscorer - hope I’m right with both !   )

Assessing and then seeing what actually happens is one of the biggest fun games whilst watching all Football IMHO

I also remember watching Harry Kane as a youngster for U21s etc and also think8ng he wasn’t much !

Interesting stuff Bob.

When I used to sit on the corner of the South Stand 2+ seasons ago we used to get the away side warm up in front of us.

The player technique that stood out for me was Ryan Tunnicliffe then of Fulham.  You know the way Brownhill hits his top-spin free-kicks, well Tunnicliffe was doing them from a moving ball.  5 or 6 of them on the trot, all dipping viciously as they hit the net.  Luckily he left the free-kicks to McCormack....that ended well didn’t it!!

For us, Paterson has the best two feet.  He shoots with his left equally as well as he does on the right.  It ain’t a swinger...itsca proper knee-bend, head over it left foot.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yes agree. It would have been an incredible bit of scouting to have got Marriott in from Luton.

Not IMHO Jon - he scored against us with a neat finish for a start

But then would he have become the player he has had he joined us and not Peterborough. Something happened in that summer he joined Peterborough that made him a goal machine last season. Was it down to coaching or would he have become this player regardless? Who knows.

Here I think you have a valid point / question 

The development of these and Eisa type signings are key in our philposophy, and to date , we havnt really cracked it but the ideas are getting there (Tinnion) 

Would we have bought Marriott from Luton and played him    No

Shpuld we have Bought him ,     yes,       but play him NO , unrealistic IMHO

So what would we do with him , and more importantly now, Eisa ?

@Davefevs regularly raises this very valid question / dilemna , coach within or loan out to a L2/ L1 side and get game time but more reliant on coaches at other clubs , no easy solution 

Lee needs to make a decision about Eisa , I think I’d keep him here and try and see how he runs with FD as a partner at some point (Not one game)

If he shows signs of adapting , great 

If progress is slow or the gap still too big, look to get him a six month loan to L1 in August

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting stuff Bob.

When I used to sit on the corner of the South Stand 2+ seasons ago we used to get the away side warm up in front of us.

The player technique that stood out for me was Ryan Tunnicliffe then of Fulham.  You know the way Brownhill hits his top-spin free-kicks, well Tunnicliffe was doing them from a moving ball.  5 or 6 of them on the trot, all dipping viciously as they hit the net.  Luckily he left the free-kicks to McCormack....that ended well didn’t it!!

For us, Paterson has the best two feet.  He shoots with his left equally as well as he does on the right.  It ain’t a swinger...itsca proper knee-bend, head over it left foot.

For all his failings , Tomlin was fascinating to watch

Picked out the corners At will , top right , bottom left ......

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For all his failings , Tomlin was fascinating to watch

Picked out the corners At will , top right , bottom left ......

You won’t get much disagreement there Bob. 

Very skilled footballer but just too inconsistent. 

Made a very decent living out of his ability tho.

Archived