IGNORED

LJ's number of signings vs. the Championship

Alessandro

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I've said a few times, I understand the theory behind the signings. The thing is , was any real due diligence done on Diony and Kent? From a fans viewpoint I see a striker who had a real good season and got a big money move, and in Kent a highly thought of young Liverpool player , sounds promising. Now if we had watched them properly you'd see a player who's career had stalled , 17 games for St Etienne without scoring. Kent, skilful, but holds onto the ball and slows play. The exact opposite to the style we were playing at the time. 
Again it comes down to our scouting and recruitment , I really don't trust them to provide the needed players.

As @Davefevs said, money wise Baker probably makes sense. Of course it all depends who wants  our players but with Vyner, Moore and Kelly all looking to play CB, even with Kalas going back we could afford to offload one. I like Baker , but I see him as the one who might bring in a decent fee.

Minor point.

Diony had scored for St Etienne last season before he joined.

Only once and in a cup game, not league, but he had scored.

3 hours ago, LilRascal said:

Would love a Paul Hartley type player to come in. 

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

id have another Wade Elliot if  a Hartley wont come along

I'll see your Paul Hartley and Wade Elliott, but raise you a Gerry Gow.

26 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Pretty sure you could play them as a 3 - Gow in front of the centre backs “enforcing”. 

With Gow you wouldn't need the other 2!

15 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

that's all well and good but what should we do about LJ? Hes still going blind

Good point - LJ would probably keep Gerry on the bench and play Patterson instead!

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did say a harsh world.  Would also like to see Wright on the right side of Webster at some point too.

It’s the one position I would bring someone in if I only had one signing allowed.  I don’t care what type of central midfielder, just someone who is not a squad filler, but preferably better than what we have.  Obviously finding that player is not easy!

We've got one he is called Callum, play him in the middle and we will be a different team.

Just now, Jacky Boy said:

We've got one he is called Callum, play him in the middle and we will be a different team.

We don’t know that though do we.

imho the games where he’s done well have been open games, e.g. Norwich, West Brom.  His test will be against the team that condense space, the Boros of the Champ.  He will need to get his head-up and not run into trouble / blind alleys.

I hope he does, and consistently....but he’s got a bit to do to prove it to me.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did say a harsh world.  Would also like to see Wright on the right side of Webster at some point too.

It’s the one position I would bring someone in if I only had one signing allowed.  I don’t care what type of central midfielder, just someone who is not a squad filler, but preferably better than what we have.  Obviously finding that player is not easy!

While I would agree in our current situation I think if Korey returns to form quickly than a midfield 3 of himself, Pack and Brownhill is good enough to see this season through 

18 hours ago, hodge said:

Hopefully this will diffuse people's criticism of LJ somewhat and the amount of players that we have signed under him. Given season 1 we only had 17 first team players and needed quantity as well. Yes quality can still be debated but hopefully the whole 'but 47 players' thing can be silenced a bit.

It’s a good comparison but it’s the amount of players that have worked compared to failed that’s the important part imo 

20 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

Couldnt trump Gow, but a young Tommy Doherty in the 2nd tier would have great too

A non- drinking , non-smoking Tommy D could have come very close to Gerry Gow, although I think Gow had a bit more flair going forward and in terms of goal scoring.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

A non- drinking , non-smoking Tommy D could have come very close to Gerry Gow, although I think Gow had a bit more flair going forward and in terms of goal scoring.

Agreed! And I think a midfielder that offers more going forward is what would really boost us right now

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

A non drinking Gerry Gow (who ate his lunch most days in the Shield and Dagger) would have been even better footballer.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A non drinking Gerry Gow (who ate his lunch most days in the Shield and Dagger) would have been even better footballer.

Gow was playing at a time when a lot of footballers lived a similar lifestyle to him, so although I agree that Gow could have been even better with a better lifestyle, it did not impact on his effectiveness compared with the majority of footballers at his level.

By Tommy Doc's time, football was changing, so more and more players were living with managed diets and fitness regimes. Tommy Doc's health and fitness became more of a handicap when up against players of lesser ability but better fitness, stamina and strength.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Gow was playing at a time when a lot of footballers lived a similar lifestyle to him, so although I agree that Gow could have been even better with a better lifestyle, it did not impact on his effectiveness compared with the majority of footballers at his level.

By Tommy Doc's time, football was changing, so more and more players were living with managed diets and fitness regimes. Tommy Doc's health and fitness became more of a handicap when up against players of lesser ability but better fitness, stamina and strength.

Of course back in the 70s and 80s there was a drinking culture at lots of clubs and many footballers from those era’s fell foul of the demon drink. It’s was considered normal to get pissed up with the team and seen as a bonding exercise. In fact it was prevelent at City during Danny Wilson’s reign who was a player during those days and didn’t see a problem with it.

Times have changed and now it’s far less acceptable with the emphasis on a healthy living lifestyle for professional athletes.

8 hours ago, Nbafc said:

Couldnt trump Gow, but a young Tommy Doherty in the 2nd tier would have great too

Tommy could have been so much more if he`d only applied himself properly. That knack of coming out of tackles with the ball when he had no right to is a skill that can`t be taught. He was one of those rare players where the ball seemed tied to his foot with string.

Archived