IGNORED

The Gatwick Drone (Merged)

Super

Shooting around an airport is not the best idea. However, there are some more 'interesting' variations of drone that the military are developing that can attack an enemy drone, using nets and such. Of more value is detecting the radio signals and trying to get a bead on the person/s who think this is fun. Perhaps the perpetrator/s ought to be thrown to the many passengers whose Christmas plans are now screwed.

I have heard the terrorist theory but that doesn't seem very likely to me.  Terrorists want their "goals" publicised or at least a big body count, this isn't really achieving that.  Plus wouldn't you do it at Heathrow rather than the smaller Gatwick?

It's probably some idiot kid thinking it's funny, in the same way idiot kids think it is funny to shine laser pens at pilots. 

Whoever it is is in for a whole world of trouble when they get caught.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I have heard the terrorist theory but that doesn't seem very likely to me.  Terrorists want their "goals" publicised or at least a big body count, this isn't really achieving that.  Plus wouldn't you do it at Heathrow rather than the smaller Gatwick?

It's probably some idiot kid thinking it's funny, in the same way idiot kids think it is funny to shine laser pens at pilots. 

Whoever it is is in for a whole world of trouble when they get caught.

Maybe in the same thinking as the disruption a cyber attack causes? 

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Maybe in the same thinking as the disruption a cyber attack causes? 

I guess it could be, but you'd think a terrorist would be crashing the drones into planes/people or at least be trying to publicise whatever rubbish it is they are "fighting" for.

It is actually quite shocking how ill prepared we are for dealing with drones.  As the technology improves we are going to need a safe way to stop them as eventually large explosives will be strapped to them and they are going to be used as flying bombs.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm confused by one thing.

This morning they are letting some planes take off and land, so what has changed since yesterday, as the drone is still flying isn't it?

Said on the news that it hasn’t been seen since 10 o’clock last night. I would have thought these things can only be up about 30 mins max due to battery. Surely they can locate where it is coming down and the batteries changed? Or are they putting them up for a short time then moving location?

Doubt the person even knows they are causing all the panic. By the time the army were involved it's probably already been put in the back of someones car, in their bedroom or shed and they are shooting people in PUBG or Fortnite unaware of the fuss.

Does beg the question why we don't use jamming devices like in the US, and now terrorist know how easy it this, will be see it happen a lot more, imagine several airports all closing all from some men hidden in homes/cars/vans at no risk to themselves.

• Admin
56 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I really hope things are going back to normal now, I’m going to pick up my aunty from her flight from America tomorrow morning, she’s coming to surprise my mum for Christmas. They haven’t seen each other for three years. 

@Dollymarie

Some sites that may be of use?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/lgw/arrivals

https://www.gatwickairport.com/flights/

1 minute ago, BanburyRed said:

You've got to be livid if your flight is delayed and ruins your Christmas. Whoever is responsible should be paraded through the North & South Terminals to incur the wrath of the public....

I’d happily punch the shit out of them. Would be lovely to be sat here this evening, being all excited about my Aunty coming. Instead, I’m sat here flapping and worried. We’ve been planning this for 6 months. Plus if her flight gets diverted somewhere else, that comes with its own complications as well! 

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Im amazed that it hasnt been seen by anyone landing or taking off. 

You can program them to fly from A to B using GPS and time the take off. Someone could literally left it anywhere and be 100 miles away if they wanted.  

I personally think this last sighting might be a hoax 

29 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

You've got to be livid if your flight is delayed and ruins your Christmas. Whoever is responsible should be paraded through North ST to incur the wrath of Dolly M....  

28 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I’d happily punch the shit out of them. Would be lovely to be sat here this evening, being all excited about my Aunty coming. Instead, I’m sat here flapping and worried. We’ve been planning this for 6 months. Plus if her flight gets diverted somewhere else, that comes with its own complications as well! 

(amended BanburyReds post slightly... :boxing: )

Archived