IGNORED

Games for the PC

Markman

Like a little saddo I normally play the odd FPS at home on me own (I cannot be bothered to go on line and play against others) - just finished Bio-Shock (again) and Doom and wondered about Verdun - anyone know if this is a FPS - it looks like it is a game you need to be on line to take part in?

Or other suggestions for FPS games - old or new

Verdun is a slower paced FPS, closest to early Battlefield games?  It's all online, I haven't played it enough to get into it.

I dumped windows 10 a while back for linux, it's surprising how many games you can run natively or through steam's version of Wine without having to fiddle about with things.

When I get time which is rare at the moment I'm playing through the Borderlands games, they've aged well for a bit of light hearted destruction.

I tend to pickup games when they're a couple of years old in a steam sale now and play them when I get around to them rather than be chomping at the bit the day they're out.  Age and time I guess.

38 minutes ago, Nibor said:

When I get time which is rare at the moment I'm playing through the Borderlands games, they've aged well for a bit of light hearted destruction.

I still have windows at a massive 2.4MB in my village :laugh: - looks like there a few Borderlands - never played so should I start at the beginning?

3 minutes ago, Markman said:

I still have windows at a massive 2.4MB in my village :laugh: - looks like there a few Borderlands - never played so should I start at the beginning?

You can start anywhere to be honest, they're similar.  The story does run through them in order but to be honest I don't pay much attention to that.

Usually they're all about 75% off when the sale is on.

Recommend picking up and Xbox One X with Red Dead Redemption 2 (Best single player of the generation?) and Game Pass. 

So much great stuff on the latter plus native 4K on many titles, it's like a decent PC in a small, very quiet case with little of the downsides made for comfy TV gaming.

On 21/12/2018 at 08:08, Markman said:

Like a little saddo I normally play the odd FPS at home on me own (I cannot be bothered to go on line and play against others) - just finished Bio-Shock (again) and Doom and wondered about Verdun - anyone know if this is a FPS - it looks like it is a game you need to be on line to take part in?

Or other suggestions for FPS games - old or new

I think you want more single player based linear FPS judging by the games you like. Highest recommendation would be Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Old Blood and The New Colossus (That's 3 titles),

Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.

The Far Cry series. Far Cry 3, 4, 5, all hold up fine. I personally think 4 is the best.

PREY

You should check out the Fallout Series and see if you like that style of 'FPS' open world game. Fallout 3, New Vegas or 4. Not 76!

Have a look at the Dishonored 1+2 

The Metro series. 2033 and Last Light

Dying Light.

All of those are highly rated solo FPS games of varying styles and genres. Hope you find something you like in there!

Dishonoured (and DLC) is one of my favourites, stealth game but with the abilities you can get very creative and fast flowing through the gorgeous and varied maps. Haven't played the sequel though.

Metro 2033/Last Light are some of the greatest FPS ever made IMO, channels the dark vibe of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. into a claustrophobic and tense (yet more linear) experience. Metro Exodus coming early 2019 might be the GOAT if they strike the balance between the more focused experiences and the open/hub world.

Campaign of Titanfall 2 is surprisingly good, many compared it to Half Life 2 (which I hope you have played) and whilst it doesn't reach those heights (for the time) it is really, really good and something of a sleeper as its completely unexpected. Multiplayer is fun also.

Archived