IGNORED

Nikki Maenpaa

SStandUp

Can I just say, and this isn't an emotional post based on today's performance, but he looks top class!

Hes very very solid and has looked brilliant thus far.

Because of the way he was bought in, I don't think fans took to him and has no emotional attachment !

I think it's time we fully welcome him into the club and make him feel at home! 

4 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Can I just say, and this isn't an emotional post based on today's performance, but he looks top class!

Because of the way he was bought in, I don't think fans took to him and has no emotional attachment !

He has never been anything other than fully welcomed by me...a definite upgrade on fielding...can kick and commands the box

Solid, unspectacular keeper. Just what we needed. You can argue that he favours to punch instead of catch at times BUT defenders will love the fact that there is a big shout behind them and that he is coming for the high ball whether it’s the first minute or the last minute of injury time. That’s where he beats Frank hands down imo. Goalkeeping isn’t only about shot stopping, all the pro’s are decent at that.

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

On the match day thread I named him as my MOTM .

Today he bossed it . Calm, assured, saved well when called upon . 

As has been said he arrived in a silent fanfare as the majority were focused on the Superstar Keeper from the states but for me he ranks as the best signing of the summer .

Well done Nikki .

Arguably best signing is Webster but agree a good purchase 

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

He’s always been welcome? Not sure how we can fully welcome him? Pretty obvious very early on he was easily better than FF. 

very good addition! Not sure what no  emotional attachment has to do with it though!?

52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

On the match day thread I named him as my MOTM .

Today he bossed it . Calm, assured, saved well when called upon . 

As has been said he arrived in a silent fanfare as the majority were focused on the Superstar Keeper from the states but for me he ranks as the best signing of the summer .

Well done Nikki .

Funnily enough, I watched the highlights and was thinking exactly the same thing. Rarely seems to make a mistake and for a big guy he gets down really well to low shots. 

From someone who almost felt like a stop-gap signing due to FF's injury,  I would have him as first choice when Frankie gets fit.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

He’s the best keeper we’ve had in quite a while. He seems decisive and committed, sure he will make a mistake or two in the future but he doesn’t strike me as a keeper who has a howler in him and even if he does, he is the type of character who could bounce back easily. 

Every keeper has a howler in him whether the multi £million Allison at Liverpool or the free transfer Maenpaa.

So far so good even though if I was Head Coach, I would have kept Max O'Leary in the side.

We have signed some great goalkeepers on frees over the years, John Shaw, Andy Leaning, Basso and now Nikki. I've often thought that you don't need to pay out fees for keepers as due to the limited chances they have available to them there are plenty of good keepers kicking their heels and awaiting an opportunity.

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

He has never been anything other than fully welcomed by me...a definite upgrade on fielding...can kick and commands the box

I'd have to agree - fully welcomed by me, too, and all those I've spoken to, in the East End and elsewhere. Just because we haven't sung his name or gone mad about him on here doesn't mean he hasn't been welcomed. Looked like a proper gk, not a ballboy, from the first time he ran out onto the pitch. As with any player he's not perfect but I have more confidence in him than any other keeper going back a decade or so. Unfortunately in this age of social medial, if there isn't a thousand snaptweetbook pages devoted to him and selfies from everyone, he's deemed below the radar/hasn't been welcomed yet (no offence to first poster). Quietly going about his business of putting all our other keeps in the reserves. Top man.

Derby fans gave him a really hard time this afternoon after he was knobbled in the second half by one of their players and was clearly in pain. I think he responded with exceptional calm and professionalism, followed by three great saves to stick the proverbial finger up to the *****.... ?

3 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

.....and extend that contract, by giving him a proper deal, not just the one year option.

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

A good keeper, not the reflex as FF but solid and good in the air. Think he is our nr 1. When Frankie is ful fit still think Mäenpää is our nr1.

No doubt in my mind....streets ahead.  I think Frank has a battle on his hands for the no2 spot with Max.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Been very solid so far and repaid any cost already

When he makes a real error , as all keepers do , and impressive That he hasn’t had one to date ? , will be interesting to see how he reacts - always the biggest defining test I think,  for a keeper 

I can't remember the opposition but I thought Maenpaa was at fault when he conceded a goal direct from a corner.  He claimed he was pushed over but that just shouldn't happen in the six yard box.

Anyway, being picky as I believe he is a about 3500% better than Fielding.

Archived