IGNORED

Match Report: Ding dong merrily at Pride, City boss end-to-end game

Olé

Having won at Birmingham and held the league leaders last Saturday, resurgent City took a convincing point at a raucous Derby, rightly sharing the rewards in an end-to-end encounter that showed the Championship at its exhilarating best.

City under Lee Johnson lost their way in November but there should be absolutely no complaints about the team that is now playing with the energy and determination of last season, today going toe to toe with a promotion favourite - and could've won.

This was stunning end to end stuff, sadly for City fans starved of action at Ashton Gate most of this season, the team have really shown away from home, and while Derby had clear chances of their own, the players in red did the away fans proud.

Derby came racing out from the kick off but it was City that showed first, Pato in behind them, and a minute later Kelly beat 3 players, disguised a pass to Paterson on the left, but his tame cross easily claimed with Weimann the only player in the box.

The hosts were pushing players forward, their quick passing was working us, and on the half hour Jozefzoon cut in from the left and saw a shot blocked. Minutes later they pressed, intercept a Maenappa kick, Nugent forcing the save from 25 yards.

City had their chances and on 18 minutes Baker intercepted the lively Harry Wilson and his quick ball to the left let Weimann run on, only to drag a tame shot beyond the far post. It wasn't a big response, but it was a warning Derby didn't heed.

Within five minutes Pack lifted a ball over the top and Derby's defenders got mixed up under pressure from Famara Diedhiou, failing to clear their lines, leaving Paterson to run straight through the middle onto the loose ball, calmly lobbing the keeper.

0-1 and Paterson ran to celebrate right in front of the away fans. He had been his usual self in the opening exchanges, full of  energy but rarely looking up, and giving the ball away frequently. But his poise and speed had put City into an amazing lead.

Derby inevitably went at us looking to get back into the game in front of lively fans, after the half hour Wilson got past Kelly inside the box and got to the byline, lifting a cross to the far post which was headed over by Nugent with the goal at his mercy. 

In minutes Derby handed out more gifts. Another mistake teed up Famara in space with just two defenders to beat, 30 yards out he unleashed a dipping shot onto the crossbar. On 35 he caused more problems and Paterson then lashed a shot over. 

City were clearly on top now which is why it's no surprise that Derby equalised. They worked it down the left and Mount made easy work of Pisano and crossed into the middle where Waghorn got in at the near post to flick past a helpless Maenappa.

While Derby bossed the possession, lively City were creating chances, and five from halftime Brownhill brought down a half clearance outside the box and flicked it neatly past his marker before volleying it just wide left of goal. City really in this.

After the break Derby came roaring out on the front foot but once again on 49 it was City that went closest - a half clearance falling to Weimann just 15 yards out but he was slow to react and by the time he took his shot it was easy for the hosts to block.

Three minutes later Tomori headed badly over at close range from a Mason Mount corner but a minute later Pack seized on a Derby clearance to set Diedhiou away off the shoulder of the last man on the right, his low shot stinging the keepers hands.

On 56 minutes City created the chance of the game with a stunning break. O'Dowda drew a midfielder and sprung Famara into space between lines - he found Weimanns run down left and a quick cross into Pato clear in front of goal, was stabbed wide.

Just before the hour Nugent left a boot on Maenappa at a set piece and Derby fans jeered bizarre disapproval at his injury. Within ten minutes O'Dowda ran 30 yards from his own half but Famara was offside from his pass (Weimann turning home).

Pride Park is noisy for a modern stadium and Derby fans roared for a winner - the hosts going for it. On 72 Mount unleashed a fierce shot from 25 - just left, and three minutes later Mount's corner was cleared outside the box and Wilson volleyed over.  

City brought on Eliasson and from then on it was the visitors who were as likely to win it. On 79 Brownhill got clear down the right and crossed deep to the left. We worked it into the box, Paterson wriggling clear but getting cut down - a clear penalty shout.

Minutes later Eliasson was again involved, winning a flick on outside the box which found Diedhiou at feet, he curled his shot just over from outside the box. On 83 O'Dowda robbed Tomori on the right and crossed, Diedhiou's bicycle kick parried wide.

Eliasson was causing all sorts of problems City got him clear on the left again but his early cross/shot was well over. A minute later we slipped him in on the edge of the box but his quick cross was cut out at the near post before a City player could finish.

Before the end Keogh found himself in space outside the box and his pot shot was tipped over from 25 yards. In injury time Jozefzoon ran at us again and spread wide to full back Bogle whose well drilled shot was brilliantly tipped wide by Maenappa. 

In the end City rode their luck but were more than good value for their Christmas point. Derby is a formidable place to go, their fans are lively, but we played out of our skin today and despite being handed our opener, were relentless for a winner.

Maenappa 9 Best game in a City shirt without question. Saved everything.

Pisano 6 Could have done better with the goal but worked hard

Kelly 6 Was classy in places in the first half but by his own high standards was careless and casual second half

Baker 6 Solid, not sure why he went off

Kalas 7 Solid as per

Pack 7 Loose for the first half hour, after that the best ball playing player on the pitch, some sublime assists 

Brownhill 6 Tireless today but perhaps didn't get into the game as much as he has done today

Paterson 7 Started poorly but his usual energetic self, a nuisance, albeit lightweight, between the lines, and took his goal well

Weimann 6 Worked hard but didn't really trouble their defence and no finish

O'Dowda 6 Strangely subdued after good recent games and loose with the ball - a bit more lively second half 

Diedhiou 8 Best game of the season - won everything, caused problems, setup most of our attacks

Webster 7 Quite honestly didn't realise he was on - but we were much more solid with him

Eliassson 8 Could have turned the game decisively in our favour - and Derby couldn't deal with him

Adelakun 5 On for 30 seconds

Thanks @Olé I’m amongst many who await your reports with interest

As another year closes, much appreciation - Together with others odd attendees and stream watchers comment , and the highlights it gives us non travellers a great idea of the real nuts and bolts 

Dont bother to read any press reports , yours are much better for other fans

Have to say I have enjoyed watching us in the last three games. As someone who before then had posted on here how incredibly bored I had been at the vast majority of games this season, there has been a real upturn in performance in the last three games in my opinion.

Also as someone who has never been sure about Diedhiou, it’s only fair that I say I think his last two performances have been his best in a City shirt.

27 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Thanks for report Ole. Did we have a man sent off in the first minute ha haa? ?

Well spotted you win the prize for spotting the player I was hoping to spend the day moaning about ?

Thanks @Olé great report as usual. Little to disagree with! But I felt both full backs were maybe 7s. Since Reading we've looked a much solider back 4. Baker seemed to be worrying about a hamstring end of first half, so I'd assumed that was why he didn't reappear. What a bonus to have someone like Webster on the bench. It was good to see us really go for it last 10. I worried briefly that we looked like we were dropping back very deep, like last week, but we ended up looking most likely to snatch the winner. 

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thanks and appreciate it's not easy to get absolutely everything spot on but...

It was Pack who failed, lazily, to cut out the cross for their goal, not Pisano.

Thank you sir. I must admit I couldn't see the cross well but it was annoying either way that Nugent could get across the front of the keeper and meet that easy a cross.

I saw Pack balled Pisano out for a chance he allowed later second half so perhaps they both were fighting for all important random OTIB match report ratings. ? 

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Thank you sir. I must admit I couldn't see the cross well but it was annoying either way that Nugent could get across the front of the keeper and meet that easy a cross.

I saw Pack balled Pisano out for a chance he allowed later second half so perhaps they both were fighting for all important random OTIB match report ratings. ? 

Have you enjoyed the benefits of Derbyshires Breweries Rob ?

It was Waghorn who scored 

If you’d stayed at home and listened to Radio Bristol you would have known that. ;)

I take back my comments earlier - You’re reports appear to  to be heading for shambolic !!

:laughcont:

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Have to say I have enjoyed watching us in the last three games. As someone who before then had posted on here how incredibly bored I had been at the vast majority of games this season, there has been a real upturn in performance in the last three games in my opinion.

Also as someone who has never been sure about Diedhiou, it’s only fair that I say I think his last two performances have been his best in a City shirt.

Me too.  I see a return to a single way of playing, with workrate too.  The two players who’ve come to the fore in this run are Diedhiou and Paterson (and O’Dowda in the last few).  Both accused by many, including me, of what appeared to be lack of effort, are suddenly pivotal to the mix of 4141/4411 that we are now playing.  Their energy is there too, and I think that (as LJ said) it helps us get up the pitch because there was pressure on their back 4.  We probably didn’t do it enough last week v Norwich.

What amazed me was how often Derby played numerous sideways passes at the back, and how easily we pressed and turned over the ball.

All we were missing today was some quality in the final third to reward our gargantuan efforts against a promotion favourite.

However, we appear to have found some real momentum and must make that count by winning our next two home fixtures.

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have you enjoyed the benefits of Derbyshires Breweries Rob ?

It was Waghorn who scored 

You sir, are fake news.?

And after a nice hour or two in Derby's amazing Brunswick, and now in Millwall's finest, you might be right about enjoying pubs a bit too much. In my defence I was right originally though, before the alcohol.

4C446784-6F0E-400B-81F3-45BE17297F18.thumb.jpeg.1180265fd0f180d7c117eaaecba0e868.jpeg

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It was Pack who failed, lazily, to cut out the cross for their goal, not Pisano.

Whether that makes any difference to your scoring is another matter... 

Exactly. The Derby player had no left foot, all Pack had to was show him on his left foot. Even so, you're right, he was lazy in that instance. The question is, for the second game running, Pisano is missing at right back both resulting in goals.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

As I have said in another post have a feeling that the second half of the season could be the reverse of last, lets hope so.

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Almost as long as it took you to type that sentance.

Great report as usual but curious to know how Adelukan merited a 5.

Did he do an impressive warm-up routine on the touchline?

I think you get a 5 just for turning up (bit like getting your name right on an exam paper), if you're pony , you go down and if you do well the sky's the limit . Well 10 :read:

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Whether that makes any difference to your scoring is another matter... 

Pack had a decent game but it was ridiculously lazy not to even dangle a foot!....I see Ole nixed points from Pissano for it, who had a decent game too!

Archived