IGNORED

OK so which centre forward do we want in January

barneyrubble

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe that this idea of no quality players or deals available in January is a myth.

There are hundreds if not thousands of quality players who for one reason or another find themselves out of , perhaps a new manager's plans, or are in the last year of their contract and the selling club will be looking to cut their losses and so on.

As for us , much depends on the situation regarding Taylor will we keep him or try to upgrade ? 

Is Eisa going to get game time with the first team ? I wouldn't like to bring in another ' Eisa type ' one for the future signing if it means the lad doesn't get a chance to prove his quality .

LJ indicated that Pato was the number 10 behind Diedhou yesterday and he has faith in him.

I am actually not too sure that we can upgrade our forwards without busting the bank for ' proven quality '  so believe that we won't.

May be just a central midfielder to push Packy ? 

Do you want to say that again ??

It's all relative to the summer window, yes there are players that find themselves out of favour this time of year but that might not mean the club wants to sell them and they are usually out of favour for a reason (poor form).

I think the biggest problem is getting them to fit in with our style without a pre season.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Taylor currently has a hip flexor problem and hopefully won’t out much longer. That said it does dependn on which flexor it is and whether it’s just a tear or something more serious.

Many of us, me included have been banging on about a creative midfielder but I’m not convinced that LJ sees the need to strengthen that position  given the fact he’s happy with Brownhill and Pack but if one of them gets injured the cupboard is bare....both Walsh and Smith have sick  notes for a while yet.

Should be an interesting window.......

With Hegeler moving on I was hoping for a creative midfielder in Jan and a big guy up front but like you say I'm not sure LJ can see the need to upgrade in midfield with Korey due to return.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe that this idea of no quality players or deals available in January is a myth.

There are hundreds if not thousands of quality players who for one reason or another find themselves out of , perhaps a new manager's plans, or are in the last year of their contract and the selling club will be looking to cut their losses and so on.

As for us , much depends on the situation regarding Taylor will we keep him or try to upgrade ? 

Is Eisa going to get game time with the first team ? I wouldn't like to bring in another ' Eisa type ' one for the future signing if it means the lad doesn't get a chance to prove his quality .

LJ indicated that Pato was the number 10 behind Diedhou yesterday and he has faith in him.

I am actually not too sure that we can upgrade our forwards without busting the bank for ' proven quality '  so believe that we won't.

May be just a central midfielder to push Packy ? 

There are players, but the good players are usually contracted, and would come at a premium in January. If your budget is big enough you can get anyone, ours isn't. I also don't want to see another for the future, I'd rather either get a loan which is still difficult , or not bother. If there was a loanee out there pulling up trees in L1 maybe look at them , but you are expecting a young(ish) kid to come in and improve the side, big ask.

I really think to upgrade we would have to offload Taylor, maybe another (Baker?) but even then to sign someone who would make an instant improvement would still probably be beyond our budget.

We may both be wrong. SL may see a promotion challenge there for the making and the scouting team may have a target already, stranger things have happened. Probably not though.

With Walsh and Smith still a way off , a midfielder would be handy. But again with out budget, and the fact we actually have Pack, Brownhill , Smith and Walsh, plus a couple of promising young players on the periphery I can't see the purse string being loosened enough to make it worth while. 

I just think we are stuck with what we have for now, maybe a loan? But even that , with our recent record they may have second thoughts.

As for Eisa, at 5-0 up at halftime LJ will rest Fam after getting his hat trick and Eisa will get 45 on Boxing Day :cool2:

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do you want to say that again ??

It's all relative to the summer window, yes there are players that find themselves out of favour this time of year but that might not mean the club wants to sell them and they are usually out of favour for a reason (poor form).

I think the biggest problem is getting them to fit in with our style without a pre season.

Evidently the software at OTIB thought my post pertinent enough to post it twice ! 

There are many clubs who change style midway through a season leaving certain players , bought for purpose by the ex-manager, high and dry.

I agree with your comment about fitting in and would be looking mainly to the new players settled in for the forthcoming season and anything they achieve this one would be a bit of a bonus.

56 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Controversial maybe but I don't think this is the season to go fo it.

The January window isn't the time to get quality and without pre season they very rarely fit in, everyone wants to hold on to the quality players they have. If we do go for it then we need quality not quantity.

Agreed. Not going to go up or down this season, so no point falling for inflated January prices.

Get 1 or 2 new faces in and identify recruitment prospects for the summer. And crucially get them in EARLY!

Obviously this all changes if we have any significant outgoings.

Not a creative nor very original suggestion but little Bobby would make a huge difference for us. He may never find the EPL as easy as Joe Bryan could (if they werent both at basket case clubs this season) but we wont get him back until Warnock gets the welcomed sack. His successor not rating Bobby is, i think, the only chance of getting him back.

One poster mentioned 'thousands of proven forwards' out there. Perhaps to name one would be helpful?

4 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Get 1 or 2 new faces in and identify recruitment prospects for the summer. And crucially get them in EARLY!

LJ and MA plan at least two windows in advance so those on the shopping list will have been identified already and, who knows? possibly tapped up already - not that City would use such underhand manoeuvres...............:cool2:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ and MA plan at least two windows in advance so those on the shopping list will have been identified already and, who knows? possibly tapped up already - not that City would use such underhand manoeuvres...............:cool2:

I'm shocked and appalled that you would suggest such things. And also quite hopeful that you are right!

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t think we will spend big on a permanent striker. We’ll be after a prem loan of a youngster. 

This. Especially with our latest accounts to take into consideration. Next summer will be crucial for us and will be interesting to see what we do with the ffp cycle starting over again. 

3 hours ago, Barney red said:

How about a young bloke at Cardiff who is not getting much game time

Gary Madine? ?

2 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Ronan Curtis from Portsmouth  ?

Having a bit of a rollercoaster season! ?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He`s a midfielder I know but what about Herbie Kane? He`s showing he`s too good for League 1.

Think he’s just extended his loan deal at Donny.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Jayden Stockley, Exeter 14 goals so far and yes I know it's only league 2. Exeter reckon they wont let him go for less than a million must think pretty highly of him.

Makes £1.5m for Mo look high.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He`s a midfielder I know but what about Herbie Kane? He`s showing he`s too good for League 1.

I think this would come down to a couple of things.

Does the Club (as a whole) think we have a realistic chance of getting a playoff spot?
How long will Smith and Walsh be out? Not just fit, but ready to play.
How much did we piss Liverpool off with the Kent waste of time? In which case I did wonder about Solanke 

If Walsh and Smith are close I don't see the point of a young loan, if they are a month away, then maybe a good option. We are at least a man short in CMF

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think we'll be alright with Morrell COD as Cover until Smith and Walsh come back. Could bring back Bakinson tbf.

We have only seen Morrell sporadically though, he hasn’t started a game yet. Plus neither of them can sit at the base of midfield like Pack does, those two would both be cover for Brownhill’s role.

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d love him here but watching Hull v Swans last night (he had another good game) they said a lot of Premier League/top end championship sides were sniffing round for January. I could see him going to someone like Huddersfield since they can`t score goals it seems or in our league, perhaps Boro.

Boro? Not a chance Bowen can actually play football, not something Pulis is familiar with tbh.

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Jermain Defoe anyone? Probably has another season at this level and seems to have a decent attitude. Coyld maybe be good for our youngish squad and might not break the bank ona shortish contract.

Might also bring a few more through the turnstiles too and fill the hole that we currently have up top temporarily?

I can't see seventy four year old Jermaine Defoe living with our high press , high tempo game .

Archived