IGNORED

Villa v Leeds

Super

58 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Will be fascinating to see if Leeds can keep up their incredible work and energy , after we admitted blowing up last year

Bielsa is known to train players incredibly hard. I read somewhere that he had then working from 9am to 7pm in pre-season. That should stand them in good stead.

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bielsa is known to train players incredibly hard. I read somewhere that he had then working from 9am to 7pm in pre-season. That should stand then in good stead.

That type of training is called “beasting”  and is a double edged sword as the benefits are clear but not all players take to it willingly and can it can cause disharmony in the squad. 

I heard Danny Murphy talking about it on TalkSport and when Felix Magrat  (sp) took over at Fulham and introduced it, it caused real issues amongst the squad. 

Murphy certainly didn’t take to it......

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That type of training is called “beasting”  and is a double edged sword as the benefits are clear but not all players take to it willingly and can it can cause disharmony in the squad. 

I heard Danny Murphy talking about it on TalkSport and when Felix Magrat  (sp) took over at Fulham and introduced it, it caused real issues amongst the squad. 

Murphy certainly didn’t take to it......

I imagine Bielsa would simply weed out any players who didn't fancy putting in the level of work he demands.

Magath, by the time he arrived at Fulham, had become something of a crank so didn't have the credibility Bielsa has as one of the most admired coaches in the game.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I imagine Bielsa would simply weed out any players who didn't fancy putting in the level of work he demands.

Magath, by the time he arrived at Fulham, had become something of a crank so didn't have the credibility Bielsa has as one of the most admired coaches in the game.

I think  Murphy’s point was that the squad were all very fit PL footballers already and “beasting” them was seem as an archaic and unnecessary method.

The players soon got disillusioned and no way could Magrat leave them all out. 

He  didn’t last long at Craven Cottage.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think  Murphy’s point was that the squad were all very fit PL footballers already and “beasting” them was seem as an archaic and unnecessary method.

The players soon got disillusioned and no way could Magrat leave them all out. 

He  didn’t last long at Craven Cottage.

On balance I'll take the opinions of the likes of Guardiola and Pochettino on Bielsa's methods over Danny Murphy's I think. ?

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

On balance I'll take the opinions of the likes of Guardiola and Pochettino on Bielsa's methods over Danny Murphy's I think. ?

Pep and Pottechino both “beast” their squads?   Whilst top fitness and top stamina is essential surely there are more sophisticated ways of achieving it? 

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Villa have staked EVERYTHING on going up this season and will be very much in the s**t if they're not promoted. Really reckless In my opinion- although some on this forum would be more than happy to see us do the same!!

That’s  exactly what they did last season.........and failure cost Bruce his job.

Did i read or hear somewhere that in pre season Biesla didn't give the squad a single day off in a month? Training morning and afternoon, with players being weighed daily. Also heard he measures the grass on the Elland Rd turf to match the training pitches....where have we heard that before?! Quite the fanatical coach Mr Bielsa...

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

And we`re only two points behind Villa so are we Leeds`s promotion rivals too?:ph34r:

No, the 2 point gap is probably sufficient for the pundits to class us as relegation candidates!

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pep and Pottechino both “beast” their squads?   Whilst top fitness and top stamina is essential surely there are more sophisticated ways of achieving it? 

I agree it's overrated. Darrell Clarke is a huge fan of beasting allegedly, and yet it doesn't seem to have helped the 15'ers.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Leaving aside the fact that Murphy was referring to Magath and has never played for Bielsa, plus the fact that English ex-pros of the old school are not always knowledgeable about much outside the Premier League, the term beasting is a typically crude characterisation.

I do not suggest he would have spent those long days only doing fitness work. There is much more to Bielsa's methods than fitness (and there is plenty on the web about his philosophy and methods) but his sessions tend to be short but very intense. In pre-season they are simply likely to be more in number and intensity.

The likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Simeone (another disciple of his) tend to take a similarly intense approach to all aspects of preparation.

Of course some players will prefer to do an hour or two then go off to spend more time with their money. ?

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Leaving aside the fact that Murphy was referring to Magath and has never played for Bielsa, plus the fact that English ex-pros of the old school are not always knowledgeable about much outside the Premier League, the term beasting is a typically crude characterisation.

I do not suggest he would have spent those long days only doing fitness work. There is much more to Bielsa's methods than fitness (and there is plenty on the web about his philosophy and methods) but his sessions tend to be short but very intense. In pre-season they are simply likely to be more in number and intensity.

The likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Simeone (another disciple of his) tend to take a similarly intense approach to all aspects of preparations.

Of course some players will prefer to do an hour or two then go off to spend more time with their money. ?

It’s not a style or method that I’m familiar with. Does it have a particular name? 

I’ll read up about it.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

No, the 2 point gap is probably sufficient for the pundits to class us as relegation candidates!

And for Sky, the most important factor of course is, we`re not a `big club` and would only stink up the Premier League. You can`t have the peasants getting above themselves.

After all, what have we ever achieved since football first began in 1992?

Ok for me that Leeds won.Leeds before Villa eight days a week. Asked a Villa fan who was the best club in championship? He answered seriously Aston Villa. Norwich are top of the table I said. No Aston Villa is the best team in the leauge he still said. Vill meet him in work after christmas, wonder what he says then. Really hope they lose next game to. He says our team is shit, ok, we are now only two points behind Villa. COYR!!!

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not a style or method that I’m familiar with. Does it have a particular name? 

I’ll read up about it.

This isn't a bad starting point:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11411167/marcelo-bielsas-philosophy-why-he-is-the-most-influential-coach

and this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/marcelo-bielsas-methods-take-hold-at-leeds-early-in-unusual-managerial-stint/ar-BBMAraL

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Same here. Never liked either team but the thought of Villa suffering and failing to get promoted this season was a good enough reason to cheer on Leeds slightly more.

I thought they said he was joint captain, with who I didn’t hear.

Liam Cooper is their club captain - CB, currently out injured.

What a cracking game & fully deserved win for Leeds.

They'd be lethal if they had Tammy up front.

20 hours ago, One BCFC said:

Bielsa is an excellent coach, far too good for the division we are in and no surprise they are top of the league at christmas. Speaks volumes when Pep Guardiola used to frequently speak tactics with him many years ago and you can see similarities in both coaches style of play.

I'm still a bit surprised Leeds got him in all honesty.

Shows how far the Championship has come last 10 years perhaps.

His teams are known and have been known for intense pressing as well as being good technically. I think he's a bit more sophisticated in his approach than Magath was at Fulham tbh so should avoid those pitfalls.

21 hours ago, One BCFC said:

Bielsa is an excellent coach, far too good for the division we are in and no surprise they are top of the league at christmas. Speaks volumes when Pep Guardiola used to frequently speak tactics with him many years ago and you can see similarities in both coaches style of play.

Please please,be fair....

Pep 'does also with Lee..................

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm still a bit surprised Leeds got him in all honesty.

Shows how far the Championship has come last 10 years perhaps.

His teams are known and have been known for intense pressing as well as being good technically. I think he's a bit more sophisticated in his approach than Magath was at Fulham tbh so should avoid those pitfalls.

Also has the reputation , and apparent ability , to get players to totally buy into it

Archived