IGNORED

Luke Ayling

formerly known as ivan

Apologies first of all as I know some people on here don’t like to discuss former players...

However, I have just watched the highlights of the Villa/Leeds game today and realised he is captain on a Leeds team full of quality. This says how much the manager rates him and what a good player he is.

How did we let him leave?! I do remember the full story, only that it came not long after the incident at Cheltenham races. Was his contract coming to an end? 

Probably the most important question being how has he never been replaced with better, or even equal quality!

28 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Apologies first of all as I know some people on here don’t like to discuss former players...

However, I have just watched the highlights of the Villa/Leeds game today and realised he is captain on a Leeds team full of quality. This says how much the manager rates him and what a good player he is.

How did we let him leave?! I do remember the full story, only that it came not long after the incident at Cheltenham races. Was his contract coming to an end? 

Probably the most important question being how has he never been replaced with better, or even equal quality!

Lets be honest he's not the first player that was so say not good enough to play for us, got rid of and turned out to be much better than we (the club) thought and thrived elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I never rated him as a centre back, always thought he’d make a very decent centre mid. 

Fair play to him though, come on leaps and bounds there

True . With us he was a bit of a loose cannon when he went forward. 

He never seemed in control of the ball or even to have an idea of what he was going to do with it ,which caused havoc for the opposition.

His positioning , defensively , was suspect.

Despite all that I loved the player for his attitude and willingness to attack at every opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He never seemed in control of the ball or even to have an idea of what he was going to do with it ,which caused havoc for the opposition.

His positioning , defensively , was suspect.

Despite all that I loved the player for his attitude and willingness to attack at every opportunity.

Completely disagree about his positioning, defensively.  Because he got caught forward (those were Cotts instructions), I think a lot of prople question his defensive positioning.

I watched him a lot as the RCB as a 3 in the promotion season and 15/16 - we were sat in South Stand towards the Dolman.  His covering of Flint was great, and he never got beaten at the back stick from crosses from the other side.

Not a surprise at all that he flourished at Leeds.

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was always a big fan of Ayling, he should have been a mainstay of the City team for many years imo.

On what do you base that on?...I liked him too but to class him as a mainstay for many years is daft , was LJ going to build a team around Ayling, don't think so, wrong DNA for this club..move on.

49 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

He’s a right back.

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not disciplined enough, or under suspect instructions , either way never as good as he could have been for us.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Completely disagree about his positioning, defensively.  Because he got caught forward (those were Cotts instructions), I think a lot of prople question his defensive positioning.

I watched him a lot as the RCB as a 3 in the promotion season and 15/16 - we were sat in South Stand towards the Dolman.  His covering of Flint was great, and he never got beaten at the back stick from crosses from the other side.

Not a surprise at all that he flourished at Leeds.

First year up, the number of times Flint was the only man back when we lost the ball was frightening. Partly Cott's but if he was RWB it would have been completely different, Ayling not Cott's. I've said many times , that system could have worked with a slight tweak.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not disciplined enough, or under suspect instructions , either way never as good as he could have been for us.

First year up, the number of times Flint was the only man back when we lost the ball was frightening. Partly Cott's but if he was RWB it would have been completely different, Ayling not Cott's. I've said many times , that system could have worked with a slight tweak.

I guess that is what I'm saying....when he was actually defending, he was very good, but caught forward.  I do think if Cotts was telling him not to, and he kept doing it, he would’ve left him out.

But as a RB, or a RWB or RCB, told to not be so expansive, he us a very good player.  You can tell he came from Arsenal.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Lets be honest he's not the first player that was so say not good enough to play for us, got rid of and turned out to be much better than we (the club) thought and thrived elsewhere.

How many really have? Get a list going I doubt there are many 

(proper players not loans)

9 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

How many really have? Get a list going I doubt there are many 

(proper players not loans)

Bolasie is the only one I can think of. 

Ayling wasn't thought of as no good by us, in fact cotts wanted to keep him iirc but as a right back his positioning was on the whole pretty poor imo, regularly caught out too far up the pitch. 

That being said, I'd have him back here in a heartbeat with our right backs currently

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Luke Freeman. QPR had by far the better of that deal. 

6 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Luke Freeman. QPR had by far the better of that deal. 

I would defend the club here, the harder he tried the worse it got for him. Needed to move on, and a mate who's a QPR fan is very happy. 
I just hope he moves for the money touted around and we get a nice sell on.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Like with Luke Freeman....we had a coach in place who couldn't get the best out of him 

Archived