IGNORED

Luke Ayling

formerly known as ivan

When he left he couldn't get in the team! I liked him as a player as he always looked forward first but when mathews came in it looked like we had made the right call defensively. 

I can't say at the time he left i was particularly bothered.  Going off the first season in the championship i thought we had the better player.

I imagine there are plenty others who also did. Turns out mathews couldn't be arsed and ayling went up a level- These things happen all the time in football. 

We move on.

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I think it was more about the races incident and the Bristol sport image than his quality

A well known , and I think , respected City supporter is quite clear after what he said were direct conversations that it was LJ that wanted to move LA on and has since admitted it was a mistake

6 hours ago, BessexRED said:

No he didn’t. Leeds had a wage cap of £15k before this season. There’s a few reasons Luke left, finances certainly were not one of them.

I don’t know anything regarding wage caps at Leeds however Cheltenham was not the reason Ayling left and he was on more more money than we were prepared to pay. 

8 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I always felt we missed Cunningham when he left, as well. 

Cunningham was a great example of a player losing out to a change of tactics, as was Derek Williams.

He was a left back not a left wing back . He was unlucky to lose his place through injury  and then the team just moved on without him.

I don’t get why this comes up almost every time Leeds play. Ok Leeds are doing well this season but not as if they have been miles ahead of us since he left. He was captain yesterday but reckon he is 4th or 5th option as they had quite a few out injured. 

Anyway, the point is he has been gone 2.5 years now. If he was still here we’d be having the arguments about who should start between him Hunt and Pisano. Their fans have had their days of ripping into him. Hell his first game back at AG he cost them 3 points. Quality player for sure but fullback in the championship is one of the most unforgiving positions in football. If he was still here he’d still be getting stick just like every RB since he left has. 

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t get why this comes up almost every time Leeds play. Ok Leeds are doing well this season but not as if they have been miles ahead of us since he left. He was captain yesterday but reckon he is 4th or 5th option as they had quite a few out injured. 

Anyway, the point is he has been gone 2.5 years now. If he was still here we’d be having the arguments about who should start between him Hunt and Pisano. Their fans have had their days of ripping into him. Hell his first game back at AG he cost them 3 points. Quality player for sure but fullback in the championship is one of the most unforgiving positions in football. If he was still here he’d still be getting stick just like every RB since he left has. 

Fifth choice ?

Hes been injured but still made 15 appearances to date

He also looks very healthy in their stats / ratings

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/19/Show/England-Leeds

One of the , very best footballers we had in SC squad , not utilised properly in Championship here IMHO , always provides real momentum to play , always on the front foot 

Be in my side that’s for sure

Miles ahead of Hunt or Pisano IMHO 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fifth choice ?

One of the , very best footballers we had in SC squad , not utilised properly in Championship here IMHO , always provides real momentum to play , always on the front foot 

100% agree. Top player and would get in the current side no doubt as far as I'm concerned. 

4 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

I don’t know anything regarding wage caps at Leeds however Cheltenham was not the reason Ayling left and he was on more more money than we were prepared to pay. 

I used to bump into Luke and chat with him occasionally when he lived in Harbourside. A really nice friendly and honest lad.

Anyway, after LJ took over he wasn't getting in the side and I asked him about it one time. "The gaffer doesn't seem to like me" was all he had to say, and sure enough a few weeks later he was gone. 

2 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I used to bump into Luke and chat with him occasionally when he lived in Harbourside. A really nice friendly and honest lad.

Anyway, after LJ took over he wasn't getting in the side and I asked him about it one time. "The gaffer doesn't seem to like me" was all he had to say, and sure enough a few weeks later he was gone. 

No point in getting too hung up in it now , and it’s gone - but LJ at the time told GT that he had explained to LA that his game time may be limited and thus it was unsurprising that LA wanted to speak to Leeds when they made an offer

Im %100 on that interview 

He was also a popular character 

Hes one I always watch with regret that we let  go , and a big mistake IMHO ,

but hey ho

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No point in getting too hung up in it now , and it’s gone - but LJ at the time told GT that he had explained to LA that his game time may be limited and thus it was unsurprising that LA wanted to speak to Leeds when they made an offer

Im %100 on that interview 

He was also a popular character 

Hes one I always watch with regret that we let  go , and a big mistake IMHO ,

but hey ho

And yet he started the season v Wigan at RB, even though Matthews had re-signed on loan.  I still think it was a strange sell.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think @JoeAman08 meant 4th / 5th choice skipper....not RB.

But agree with Bob and Class - top player.  LJ would love him at RB now.  I think he could cover CM too, he’s got a footballer’s brain.

@BessexRED anything you can share with us?

Think He played there for Yeovil in their Champ season , for at least part of the season

I agree - Imagine him as the extra man in a midfield 3 

It may sound left field but I always wondered  how he would do in a 10 role ,  especially away from home , - good enough on the ball

It was well know he loved the Source and the party life style you forget the trip to sin city?? He's had to work extremely hard up there before and after his injury and now he has he's been made captain and well deserved.... Leeds didn't get the summer off this year their manager told them unless their the weight and fitness he wants they won't play sure is paying off and well done LA.

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Great post.

As with Freeman, the rose-tinted brigade are out.

Both players blew hot and cold here, were for a large majority of fans scape goats and neither we were particularly happy to lose at the time.

We don’t talk about Ayling until Leeds are doing well, as you say.

That’s not taking into account the details, which nobody knows, about contract details, player wishes, work attitude before and even after Cheltenham. Perhaps he knew he needed a change of lifestyle and work ethic or career might go backwards?

I notice people don’t talk about Wes Burns, Kieran Agard or Gary O’Neil, JET etc for example very often.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Great post.

Both players blew hot and cold here, were for a large majority of fans scape goats and neither we were particularly happy to lose at the time.

That’s not taking into account the details, which nobody knows, about contract details, player wishes, work attitude before and even after Cheltenham. Perhaps he knew he needed a change of lifestyle and work ethic or career might go backwards?

I notice people don’t talk about Wes Burns, Kieran Agard or Gary O’Neil, JET etc for example very often.

That’s because a good few of us rated Ayling during the time he was here.  That’s why he gets mentioned.

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fifth choice ?

Yes meant 4th 5th choice for captain. Obviously first choice RB. Agree about footballer. One of the most natural footballers I have seen in a BCFC shirt.

Never forget his run in our first home game back in the champ. Dribbled through 4-5 players and set up Kodjia for his first goal. This was supposed to be one of our CBs! 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s because a good few of us rated Ayling during the time he was here.  That’s why he gets mentioned.

And Freeman

I was a bigger fan of LA but saw quality in both , said so at the time , when they left , and since 

I’m not sure what JET, GON or Wes Burns has to do with anything - Wouldn’t have kept any of them 

10 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Great post.

Yep. And for the record I rated him but he is what he is. A good option for this level but I can’t really see him as a premier league player. I am not convinced he’d make us much better. Sometimes players fit better at other places. Ayling is probably a case of this. Good footballer in a better environment for him. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep. And for the record I rated him but he is what he is. A good option for this level but I can’t really see him as a premier league player. I am not convinced he’d make us much better. Sometimes players fit better at other places. Ayling is probably a case of this. Good footballer in a better environment for him. 

He certainly fits Leeds total front foot approach perfectly

Think he would have been great in our pre Xmas 11 last season though

I love the fact he influences games - always looking to be on front foot , creative and imaginative

You used the phrase ‘natural footballer’ which is spot on

IMO you try and keep them , and utilise them when they come along 

36 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Great post.

Many of us said very clearly at the time we were sorry to see Ayling go and viewed his departure as a mistake.

Ayling was known to be a very popular player within a squad with the best team spirit since the 70's.

I don't remember any question marks about his work attitude, he always appeared fit and gave 100%. Nothing at all to suggest he was anything but happy at AG, or had in any way sought a move.

If the Cheltenham incident was anything to do with his departure it was pathetic cutting off their nose to spite their face behaviour from the club, especially after they had stood by far worse transgressors previously.

16 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

True . With us he was a bit of a loose cannon when he went forward. 

He never seemed in control of the ball or even to have an idea of what he was going to do with it ,which caused havoc for the opposition.

His positioning , defensively , was suspect.

Despite all that I loved the player for his attitude and willingness to attack at every opportunity.

Have to disagree there Major. Thought Ayling had some of the best control, and heads-up playing ability out of the whole squad. (Mark Little on the other hand! The least footballing looking footballer I think I've ever seen. Looked like someone rolled a football across a 100m track and he was just quick enough to catch it again before anyone else could.)

Agree re his positioning but as others have said, he was also a key attacking outlet, and when playing both roles, that will happen. 

A very decent player at this level. I think the Cheltenham rubbish was the end for him, regardless of contracts. 

Archived