IGNORED

Can we make the play-offs?

reddogkev

I wanted to discuss this topic previously, but couldn't seriously pose such a question when our form was so poor.  Now we've picked up, tis seems like as good a time as any to gauge people's thoughts.

We're playing well again, ok, perhaps a few too many draws, but I'm enjoying the fact we've stopped losing games, for now, at least.  Looking at the fixtures, even taking into consideration the unpredictable nature of the Championship, we might be able to keep this 'run' going for a while and keep building the momentum.

Win the next 2 and we are right back in the hunt for the play-offs, so can we make it this season?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can do it - especially if Diedhiou can stay on form for a few months.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

I wanted to discuss this topic previously, but couldn't seriously pose such a question when our form was so poor.  Now we've picked up, tis seems like as good a time as any to gauge people's thoughts.

We're playing well again, ok, perhaps a few too many draws, but I'm enjoying the fact we've stopped losing games, for now, at least.  Looking at the fixtures, even taking into consideration the unpredictable nature of the Championship, we might be able to keep this 'run' going for a while and keep building the momentum.

Win the next 2 and we are right back in the hunt for the play-offs, so can we make it this season?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can do it - especially if Diedhiou can stay on form for a few months.

Yes we can. We could be the Fulham of last year. Just need that Mitrovic type signing. 

So in reality we will end up 11th after signing an unproven player from L2 and a flop on loan who ends up playing a grand total of 74 minutes.

3 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yes of course. 

Many teams are still in with a chance - us being one that has hit a reasonable run of form of late. 

Definitely do-able. 

I like the certainty of your post, you have made me feel even more optimistic about our chances.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

I like the certainty of your post, you have made me feel even more optimistic about our chances.

It’s just maths mate. 

I cant be @r5ed to do the calculations, but mathematically I would guess that ANYONE could make the playoffs - even those currently in the bottom 3. 

We are sitting in mid-table and only 7 points off the top 6 - we have a better chance than all the other teams from 14th downwards ..........

Probably need to get something like 74/75/76 points to be in with a chance.

That means we need 43-45 points from 23 games.  Away form is about right, but home form would need to improve fantastically.

Having said that, looking at home games, there are games where if we want to push on, we need to start winning.728F9E21-D63E-4CDD-A09E-B25A0860A15F.thumb.jpeg.20a14e3120f6ed0542ed82bf802500a8.jpeg

Those 6 home games need to gather 13/14/15 points you’d think, if not all 18.

Imho, we have a small chance.

Not impossible as the table at Christmas last season shows Fulham were  in a similar position to us.

Crystal Palace came from the bottom three iirc some seasons ago.

But realistically I think it is a bit too much to ask as we need to average 2 points per game over the last 23 games and I can't see us maintaining that sort of consistency over that long a period.

medium

43 minutes ago, Super said:

Too many strong teams this season. So no for me.

we have recently beaten Birmingham away and drawn with Norwich and Derby, there wont be many harder fixtures, we know we haven't even been at our best doing it so I think you are being a little downbeat, no reason at all with a continuing improvement in our form and a slight tweak via the January window why we cant make the top 6 a team usually surprises why not us? 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Not on current form.

Still too many dropped points and inconsistent 90 minutes.

If something changes then maybe, but about 10 clubs could hope for the same.

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

we have recently beaten Birmingham away and drawn with Norwich and Derby, there wont be many harder fixtures, we know we haven't even been at our best doing it so I think you are being a little downbeat, no reason at all with a continuing improvement in our form and a slight tweak via the January window why we cant make the top 6 a team usually surprises why not us? 

Our home form will certainly need to improve massively and we will need to score more goals. Not impossible but doubtful.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Not on current form.

Yes, but we are 1 of those 10 and they will fear us (as we do them). 

Really looking forward to the second half of the season!!!!

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yes, but we are 1 of those 10 and they will fear us (as we do them). 

Really looking forward to the second half of the season!!!!

Me too, but something has to change to make a serious stab at the playoffs.

As things stand mid table beckons, which whilst seems okay, also seems underwhelming if the likes of Norwich and Sheffield Utd can make a stab of it.

Cue the posts about sheff Wednesday, reading and Ipswich all struggling, but I don’t think Steve Lansdown would judge success on comparisons to lower common denominators 

15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Not on current form.

Not saying we can make the play offs for one min but to say that we can’t on current form? We’re unbeaten in 5?? Before the last 3 many, myself included didn’t think we’d get a single point, so what I’m saying is you cannot really predict this league at all, so with how close the whole division is I wouldn’t rule anything out.

It's Christmas Eve not April 1st...!

Wildly optimistic view, we have played well in the last 2 games (after weeks of dross) but didn't manage to win either of them. I still cannot see us bettering last seasons 11th placed finish. Next two home games will be an indication of whether we have really turned a corner, or not. As you say take 6 pts and we will be, at least temporarily, back in the hunt for a play-off spot.  

No.

Werent we in the promo spot around this time last year, beating Man U etc? then what happened? LJ happened and the transfer window happened;

Most of the top half and some more are in with a chance...has LJ and co learned anything from last season?? time will tell.

Should have made the play offs last season, at one time we were 7 or 8 points clear of 7th spot but then Ashton informs us we're not necessarily looking to go up, shortly after Johnson goes on one of his record breaking losing runs, as a result we lose our 3 best players and end up back at square one.

3 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Werent we in the promo spot around this time last year, beating Man U etc? then what happened? LJ happened and the transfer window happened;

Most of the top half and some more are in with a chance...has LJ and co learned anything from last season?? time will tell.

LJ happened?! Yeah he turned up for the first time at Xmas 2017 jeeeeeeesssss

Archived