IGNORED

On this day

The Dolman Pragmatist

35 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

1994, away to West Brom, Stuart Munro passes back to Keith Welch, the ball hits a divot, bounces over Keith’s foot and rolls into the net.  We lose 1-0.  This later appeared on ‘What happened next?’ on A Question of Sport.

Any other memorable Boxing Day memories?

Dicking Millwall 4-1 in the John Ward promotion season was a memorable one for me 

When I talk about Boxing Day football I always think of that one first 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bristol City 5-0 Coventry City

Royle 3, Ritchie and Cormack

My Second City game!!

Bristol City 4-3 Plymouth Argyle

Neville 2, Hutchinson 2 - Tynan 3

Good memory Dave

Two good uns there - the Plymouth game was fantastic

And 

Wasnt promotion rival Grimsby in John Wards Promotion season , when we whooped em , on Boxing Day ?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

1994, away to West Brom, Stuart Munro passes back to Keith Welch, the ball hits a divot, bounces over Keith’s foot and rolls into the net.  We lose 1-0.  This later appeared on ‘What happened next?’ on A Question of Sport.

Was that a Boxing Day ? Was only thinking about that recently.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unspectacular  , But always think of a important 1-0 away win at Craven Cottage in our 89/90 promotion campaign with Sir Bobs winner 

That was an unusual one, I drove ! Must have had a quiet Christmas Day :whistle: I remember the traffic was really quiet too.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My Second City game!!

How do you remember details ? We have one mate who we have o go to when we try and remember things, I may remember trips, I did 3 years running on the 'CATS' and I remember Preston , in the stand behind wire mesh, but that's all I can remember . Must be an age thing.

I do remember going on "coach 1" once , I think that was a Boxing day, got a selection box. Thinking about it, we may have been drugged as that's all I can remember. :noexp:

I don't know if it was Boxing Day or just after, but one festive game that stands out in my memory was a 2-1 win at home against Walsall in the 1980s.  We came back from being a goal down (David effing Kelly scoring one of his trillion goals against us) and there were raucous celebrations in the crowd when we got the winner. I think Paul Fitzpatrick got one of our goals.

Beating Millwall in 97 - I think it was either 4-0 or 4-1. Was the Promotion season under John Ward.

We'd played them in the FA Cup a few weeks prior and they smashed up the Ford Garage on Winterstoke Road. As a 14-year-old, it was a genuinely terrifying experience as they ran down the road kicking and punching anything. I remember getting pushed by a CIty fan into a hedge next to Gore's Marsh to just be hidden from sight.

Thought long and hard about whether to go to the Boxing Day game - but decided to and Sean Taylor scored an epic header and Colin Crab also scoring. I think we were 2-0 up within 5 minutes. Was a dominant performance and kicked us on for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That was in the Div 1 days. After that result, City climbed the table and there was even talk (and a possibility) about City qualifying for the following season's UEFA Cup.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My Second City game!!

Remember loving these Boxing Day games at home. Standing in the East End and smoking on a cigar 'cos it was Xmas.

Awww AppyDAZE they were

39 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I don't want to put a jinx on today, and I haven't researched the stats, but I think we have a pretty good record playing at home on Boxing Day, but a lousy one when we are away.  But then again Brentford at home is always a game we never seem to win, whatever their form.  1-1 draw perhaps?

It's only in recent years have we started to get home games on boxing Day, I'm sure we went years and years in a row without a home boxing day game.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I do remember going on "coach 1" once , I think that was a Boxing day, got a selection box. Thinking about it, we may have been drugged as that's all I can remember. :noexp:

Yeah vicious lot on that coach, a selection box eh?  So they gave it to you good and proper, probably received most of their repertoire of punches, left hooks, uppercuts, jabs to the ribs the bleeding lot, sounds like they popped something in your drink too, hmm the old Coach One initiation, bet you came around with a strangely sore bum mate... and a Wurthers original in your pocket?  

Yeah, tough luck mate, hope you've fully recovered and put it behind you now (oops sorry no pun intended)

Coach One #MeToo. 

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

1994, away to West Brom, 

We went through a spell of being away to WBA during the Christmas / New Year period.

78-79 away to WBA on Jan 1st; 79-80 away to WBA on Dec 26th.

For those who really like Christmas games; 1957-58. Dec 21 Liverpool away, Dec 25 (yes, Christmas day), home to Derby, Boxing Day away to Derby, finally 28 Dec home to Middlesbrough. That was the last season games were played on Christmas Day. The following season we played Cardiff H & A on 26th & 27th Dec.

8 hours ago, 22A said:

That was in the Div 1 days. After that result, City climbed the table and there was even talk (and a possibility) about City qualifying for the following season's UEFA Cup.

Somewhat more measured/cautious under Alan Dicks, waiting until we were 1. In the top division, from which you could qualify by finishing 2nd/3rd/4th, sometimes 5th, and 2. We were 6th in the top division and flying, with half the season less to play. So, not too far-fetched.

Whereas now, in the 2010s, we speak of such things from, well, a less favourable vantage point, shall we say.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My Second City game!!

I was gonna post the Plymouth one too...wasn’t it Keith Waugh’s debut for us? I remember the East End singing ‘Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw’ after Tynan seemed to be running riot and spanking a hatrick past poor Keith, but we triumphed in the end! Great game! 

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was gonna post the Plymouth one too...wasn’t it Keith Waugh’s debut for us? I remember the East End singing ‘Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw’ after Tynan seemed to be running riot and spanking a hatrick past poor Keith, but we triumphed in the end! Great game! 

I just remember singing “Tommy Tynan, he is the meanest, he sucks a horses *****, Tommy Tynan is a horses arse”

Archived