IGNORED

Bristol City v Brentford Match Day 24

BessexRED

39 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And at times it was. 

Going off of here, you’d have thought we lost 6-1. We got a hard fought point, not the end of the world

I don’t think you get it really....it isn’t just about the scoreline. A lot of comments on here about yesterday’s match were expressing concern about yet another woefully indept and boring performance. Some of the most positive reactions seen on here this season were after a 4-2 defeat at The Hawthorns - because it was a bloody good performance by our chaps and they gave it a real go. That’s what most people I know ask for....giving it a real go, they don’t expect to win every game, they just want to see Bristol City players tearing into the oppositions we face, whoever they are, giving every ounce of sweat for the shirt, which would get the crowd right behind them. That’s not asking much from a bunch of professional athletes.

You seem happy with the performances at the moment, and that’s your opinion which is fine. But I think @BobBobSuperBob was right to ask you to give examples of what you described as a ‘complete overraction’ to that performance yesterday. Your initial response to him was lazy, along the lines of ‘I can’t be bothered to find anything to back up my claim, why don’t you find some?’

We haven’t won at home for over two months....and the performances have been woeful. That’s a rubbish combination - yet as you said yourself, you are “...happy with where we are currently...” - well, quite a significant number of fans are not happy with the current situation, and that certainly doesn’t mean they are ‘overreacting’ - they are being realistic and wanting more performances like our lads gave us away at WBA....we ain’t the most difficult and demanding of fan bases..but lots aren’t as easily pleased as you are with the way things are right now....

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think you get it really....it isn’t just about the scoreline. A lot of comments on here about yesterday’s match were expressing concern about yet another woefully indept and boring performance. Some of the most positive reactions seen on here this season were after a 4-2 defeat at The Hawthorns - because it was a bloody good performance by our chaps and they gave it a real go. That’s what most people I know ask for....giving it a real go, they don’t expect to win every game, they just want to see Bristol City players tearing into the oppositions we face, whoever they are, giving every ounce of sweat for the shirt, which would get the crowd right behind them. That’s not asking much from a bunch of professional athletes.

You seem happy with the performances at the moment, and that’s your opinion which is fine. But I think @BobBobSuperBob was right to ask you to give examples of what you described as a ‘complete overraction’ to that performance yesterday. Your initial response to him was lazy, along the lines of ‘I can’t be bothered to find anything to back up my claim, why don’t you find some?’

We haven’t won at home for over two months....and the performances have been woeful. That’s a rubbish combination - yet as you said yourself, you are “...happy with where we are currently...” - well, quite a significant number of fans are not happy with the current situation, and that certainly doesn’t mean they are ‘overreacting’ - they are being realistic and wanting more performances like our lads gave us away at WBA....we ain’t the most difficult and demanding of fan bases..but lots aren’t as easily pleased as you are with the way things are right now....

Well put BS4. Good post fella. 

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'll stay being happy with top half of the championship tbh. 

I haven't said I'm happy with the performances, but I'm happy with the league table position, O'driscoll said something similar to you as in he'd rather see us lose playing well than get a result playing badly and he got crucified. 

I'm amazed lots are disgruntled by our position currently, especially as I can't remember seeing many predicting top 10 at the start of the season which is the natural progression from where we are currently

18 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

agreed we have no right to beat anyone but it sounded and looked today like we were terrified on the ball, set up at home to draw and there was no spark. I am in London and could not make it down today, but if I am wrong, I would love cheering up with something I am missing?

You didn't miss anything, take my word for it!

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

A 'midfield general' and a top goalscorer will cost around 20 million in the inflated January Market. 

If it was that amount, it would screw us over ffp wise and could leave us with a points deduction if we didn't go up. Personally I wouldn't want to take the risk

It's potentially worse than that.

Forget about not going up. If we breach ffp this season and finish in a promotion spot ( what a big spend in January would be designed to achieve) , the EFL could then apply a points deduction this season that could/would prevent us being promoted!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Brilliant summing up, think an awful lot on here, and fans in general would agree, settling for mid table seems to be acceptable for some, they should not criticise certain fans for wanting and expecting more, it is not an overreaction the home performances in general have been poor.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Of course we all want more, but we had to sell our three best payers which were not replaced, so to take a sensible spin on things it's not that bad..... it has been a lot worse in recent years, and for once we seem safe from the drop. The lack of attractive free flowing football is because our options are limited to play that game, the maxim is if we cant win it let's not lose, it's all about getting enough points on the board, and then hopefully take a few more risks and give it a good go. 

41 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Of course we all want more, but we had to sell our three best payers which were not replaced, so to take a sensible spin on things it's not that bad..... it has been a lot worse in recent years, and for once we seem safe from the drop. The lack of attractive free flowing football is because our options are limited to play that game, the maxim is if we cant win it let's not lose, it's all about getting enough points on the board, and then hopefully take a few more risks and give it a good go. 

Do you think if we wait til we get enough points to give it a good go, there will actually be enough time to give it a good go?  We need 2 points per game to get into play-offs.  I’m not unhappy to be chugging along in mid-table, but I’m not convinced this is a master-plan to go for it big-time later in the season.  Do you?  I think it’s where we are....mid-table.  I’d prefer it to be a bit more exciting.

46 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Millwall (12) Ipswich(11) Bristol City (10) ...whats that? .....points lost from a winning position, Rotherham winless in 8 games and the leagues lowest scorers...walk in the park then?

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

The lack of attractive free flowing football is because our options are limited to play that game

That's only part of it, we have lacked intent at times. Strangely against Norwich we actually looked like we were trying to win the game from the off, even at Derby, 2nd half we really had a go and were unlucky not to win. Then we are home, against a side struggling for form , last week was their 3rd win since mid September, and their first since the beginning of November. Yet we set out trying not to lose. One up front, Paterson dropping into MF, the two wide men playing as MF's , Pack barely got over half way and Brownhill only seemed too near the last 15. 
After the run of 4 defeats we did need the "don't win make sure you don't lose" attitude . But A good win at Brum, followed by draws with two very good teams where we could easily have won both, I feel now , we should be looking for more.  
TBF, at the start of the season I said I wanted mid table, looking towards the playoffs, and never being anywhere near the relegation fight. It looks like we might get that, and I'm still not satisfied . :disapointed2se:

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I'm amazed lots are disgruntled by our position currently, especially as I can't remember seeing many predicting top 10 at the start of the season which is the natural progression from where we are currently

Have people moaned about our position then as I must have missed that?

The complaints I've read are about the (total lack of) entertainment and the fact that we all know this team can do so much better, as we see very sporadically.

Yes, top 10 is a distinct possibility but it ain't half boring to watch! 

3 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Millwall (12) Ipswich(11) Bristol City (10) ...whats that? .....points lost from a winning position, Rotherham winless in 8 games and the leagues lowest scorers...walk in the park then?

To repeat this league is hopeless if you try and predict anything at all, I understand the frustration, I feel it, although I had it in my mind we would draw 1-1 with Brentford, we have been losing to them for fun at home, so a draw is a reasonable return.

Harking back to when Fammy was suspended we just had to conjure a system that worked without a big man up front, and so we did with Weimann and Taylor filling that role, and with mobility, that's the sort of football I love to see from City, 7 games 14 points and AW I believe 7 goals, not scored since then.

It was as if LJ HAD to bring back Fammy as he was the big money signing, and hence the system changed as did the quality and the entertainment.

That is my biggest disappointment with LJ's management, I fear he bottled it.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think if we wait til we get enough points to give it a good go, there will actually be enough time to give it a good go?  We need 2 points per game to get into play-offs.  I’m not unhappy to be chugging along in mid-table, but I’m not convinced this is a master-plan to go for it big-time later in the season.  Do you?  I think it’s where we are....mid-table.  I’d prefer it to be a bit more exciting.

I don't really know Dave, but I do feel LJ is shackled by fear, I really do, fearful of failing, he was staring into the Abyss and managed to somehow escape the drop, it probably has made him a lot more cautious. It certainly will be interesting to see if he does go for it, we need another 4 wins really to be safe, and a few draws, the sooner we get there the better.  . I think this squad has enough about it to be top 6.

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I don't really know Dave, but I do feel LJ is shackled by fear, I really do, fearful of failing, he was staring into the Abyss and managed to somehow escape the drop, it probably has made him a lot more cautious. It certainly will be interesting to see if he does go for it, we need another 4 wins really to be safe, and a few draws, the sooner we get there the better.  . I think this squad has enough about it to be top 6.

If I was a psychologist - i’m not - I would hazard a guess it’s about him worried about not achieving as much as his dad whilst believing he is far more capable, intelligent than his dad....and is over-doing it all to prove it, or not as the case may be!!

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I have said similar, since the run of 4 defeats we are unbeaten. 6 games  2 wins and a draw away and 3 home draws. The recent run should have given the confidence to take the game to a Brentford side that had won one game since November. As it was we go one up and effectively 5 in MF. 
That fear, if that is the cause , won't go away anytime soon as safety isn't good enough. SL is expecting improvement, not only that but wants playoffs. It's all pressure, and sooner or later he is going to have to attack more. Not sure about top six , it will take an attitude change from the manager, and an up turn in form from the players.

@Davefevs what was the site you mentioned that showed heat maps for players ? Can't remember what thread you mentioned it on.

I mentioned this in another thread;

We are mid-table in league position, we are mid-table in attendances, we are mid-table in budget, and we are mid-table in income.

At this time, we are a mid-table club and I find it interesting that some think we should somehow be competing towards the top of the division. I think we are around where we should be at this time and that'll do for me.

Having watched a number of away games it is apparent that the team is set up very well for playing away. LJ just needs to find a way of playing at home and, if he can do that, then at least our mid-table position can be improved - but it won't stop us being mid-table in everything else.

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I have said similar, since the run of 4 defeats we are unbeaten. 6 games  2 wins and a draw away and 3 home draws. The recent run should have given the confidence to take the game to a Brentford side that had won one game since November. As it was we go one up and effectively 5 in MF. 
That fear, if that is the cause , won't go away anytime soon as safety isn't good enough. SL is expecting improvement, not only that but wants playoffs. It's all pressure, and sooner or later he is going to have to attack more. Not sure about top six , it will take an attitude change from the manager, and an up turn in form from the players.

@Davefevs what was the site you mentioned that showed heat maps for players ? Can't remember what thread you mentioned it on.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1288964/Live/England-Championship-2018-2019-Bristol-City-Brentford

Someone on here put me onto it.  It’s useful as it’s got up to date data....transfermarkt (my goto website) takes a day or so to update. 

17 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Thought not. I am dreading the Rotherham game and so is everyone I know. As always I really hope I am wrong but it just doesn't fell like we have a motivated team with a plan to win matches.

I keep going down thinking surely this the game they show us what they can really do, but apart from the odd flash here and there it's been hard work being a city fan at ashton gate this season.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

I keep going down thinking surely this the game they show us what they can really do, but apart from the odd flash here and there it's been hard work being a city fan at ashton gate this season.

A lifetime of hard work. Our rewards will be in heaven as they say. St Peter will say " For supporting that guff for your whole life you have shown admirable loyalty and humility. You can have the seat with the soft cushion to play your harp, and watch the glory hunting Liverpool and Man Utd fans stand on one leg when they play theirs" (in my dreams)

On 27/12/2018 at 15:36, bcfc01 said:

I mentioned this in another thread;

We are mid-table in league position, we are mid-table in attendances, we are mid-table in budget, and we are mid-table in income.

At this time, we are a mid-table club and I find it interesting that some think we should somehow be competing towards the top of the division. I think we are around where we should be at this time and that'll do for me.

Having watched a number of away games it is apparent that the team is set up very well for playing away. LJ just needs to find a way of playing at home and, if he can do that, then at least our mid-table position can be improved - but it won't stop us being mid-table in everything else.

Steve Lansdown certainly does! If he expects it then we can too!

Archived