IGNORED

Has Matty Taylor ever had a chance?

Fordy62

I’m not saying he’s the answer to all our prayers, I’m really not. But has he ever been given a prolonged run in the starting eleven?

Weimann has and Paterson can do no wrong In LJ’s eyes, despite being our worst player over the course of the last 12 months. 

Hes had a tough time with injury, but I’m not sure he’s been afforded the chance that others have. 

Can he be considered unlucky and given our dire performances (yep - I said performances, not results), should he be given a chance? Can’t do much worse going forward at the moment. 

A bit torn on this because on one hand he brings lots of energy, a pretty good IQ and technical ability and good intangibles but on the other just does not look like scoring even when he had that spell starting when we first bought him. Idk tough one for me but prefer him to Paterson but Paterson has the contract and Taylor does not. So for financial purposes this would probably be his last season for us imo. 

Weimann was signed to play ‘down the middle’ but doesn’t, and maybe Taylor deserves more of a chance,  but he is a bit of a sick note and we need better than both of them to climb the table.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not saying he’s the answer to all our prayers, I’m really not. But has he ever been given a prolonged run in the starting eleven?

Weimann has and Paterson can do no wrong In LJ’s eyes, despite being our worst player over the course of the last 12 months. 

Hes had a tough time with injury, but I’m not sure he’s been afforded the chance that others have. 

Can he be considered unlucky and given our dire performances (yep - I said performances, not results), should he be given a chance? Can’t do much worse going forward at the moment. 

There's a geezer who cost 5 times as much who doesn't get a look in as well....

#moneytoburn

I think that what he may lack in technical ability he more than makes up for in speed of thought and eye for a pass. I reckon he has a very good footballing brain and can make clever little passes to create opportunities.

Whether that's enough to warrant regular selection seems questionable with LJ's "tactics".

I can’t recall him ever being fit for a 3 month period, you can’t build a stable team around someone who isn’t regularly available imo,

The last time I remember he looked like a constant goal threat in a game was vs Stoke last season.

The comparison with Pato isn’t ideal because they both get asked to do different things - I hope!!

Has the poster of this thread been to any of the past 6 games when Pato has been playing well, against good defences, good teams and been offering good service as well as scoring? 

Hard to imagine some people on here are not just trouble-stirring folk who don't want to write nor read good news story about our side. 

Imagine if we were on a run of 6 games without a win!! 

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I think that what he may lack in technical ability he more than makes up for in speed of thought and eye for a pass. I reckon he has a very good footballing brain and can make clever little passes to create opportunities.

Whether that's enough to warrant regular selection seems questionable with LJ's "tactics".

But is his finishing ever going to be good enough at this level ?

I’ve never been convinced going back to Derby away shortly, after he joined us. 

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

But is his finishing ever going to be good enough at this level ?

I’ve never been convinced going back to Derby away shortly, after he joined us. 

True, what a miss, would have put us 4-2 up and probably been enough for a win.

Take the point though, on the other hand is Wieman likely to score again this season?

17 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Your last sentence really is the root of the problem...LJs tactics are his own and not the strengths of the players in the squad

For me he gets summed up by saying he's done alright. Don't think you can criticise his work rate, movement etc but at the same time he simply doesn't score enough to warrant a place. If we're playing 451 (or some variation) is he enough of a threat to be that lone man through the middle? 

13 minutes ago, gamon said:

Signed to keep the gas down. It worked, sad that we lowered ourselves to that level but that's why he's here.

He's not good enough at this level.

It was a publicity stunt to take the heat off of Johnson. 

Still not sure how to explain the Eisa signing.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

He isn't good enough for this level sadly. The fans only have had the patience with him because of who he is and where he come from 

Likeable guy, works hard....but will be back in League 1 soon. 

We need better 

58 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Has the poster of this thread been to any of the past 6 games when Pato has been playing well, against good defences, good teams and been offering good service as well as scoring? 

Hard to imagine some people on here are not just trouble-stirring folk who don't want to write nor read good news story about our side. 

Did Paterson actually play today, Hampshire Red?

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

I haven’t been. I don’t wish to. But I have watched most of them. 

Let me ask you this... how many good games do you think Pato has had in the past 12 months. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I haven’t been. I don’t wish to. But I have watched most of them. 

Let me ask you this... how many good games do you think Pato has had in the past 12 months. 

But if we're talking about why Pato is in the team now does it matter how he was performing 11 months ago? Or just his form in the last 5 games or so? For me Pato played pretty well today and probably stays in the team on merit for Rotherham.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

It'll come soon. Have no fear of that.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

But if we're talking about why Pato is in the team now does it matter how he was performing 11 months ago? Or just his form in the last 5 games or so? For me Pato played pretty well today and probably stays in the team on merit for Rotherham.

When his form over the last 12 months affects our form over the last 12 months then it is relevant. We’ve essentially been carrying a player. In fairness, why should he bother to play well when he knows there’s absolutely zero chance of him being dropped. 

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Right now O'Dowda should be playing where Paterson is. Eliasson should be playing where O'Dowda is.

When Smith/Walsh are back fit I'd like to see Brownhill or Walsh further forward.

Don’t disagree with you Shtanley

With the current 4-1-4-1 we are playing I also think COD would provide more of a threat than JP in supporting, or runnin* beyond FD

I also think if Korey was back , in the current formation , JB would provide an interesting option in Patos current role

Problem with Pato , If he isn’t providing assists or goals, then ....... ??     he’s a passenger when the opposition have the ball

Great technically, and would look much better in a much better side than dominate play, but for us , a connumndrum 

Archived