IGNORED

Entertainment Value

Super

I will be very interested to see how many tickets are sold for the Huddersfield game. Might be a gauge of how the wider fanbase really feels atm.

Normally an FA Cup tie at AG against a Prem team would be something I would be excited about. After yesterday there is no way I will be going. Take away the 15k who get counted regardless and see how many we can sell playing like this!

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I will be very interested to see how many tickets are sold for the Huddersfield game. Might be a gauge of how the wider fanbase really feels atm.

Normally an FA Cup tie at AG against a Prem team would be something I would be excited about. After yesterday there is no way I will be going. Take away the 15k who get counted regardless and see how many we can sell playing like this!

Interesting point. 

I’m going to say 15,500. 

8 hours ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

Have been a year on year season ticket holder in the Dolman since 1986, the year of the Freight Rover Trophy win at Wembley beating Bolton Wanderers 3-0.

I am completely bored to death at games now and have been for quite a while. Honestly don’t think I’ll renew next season. Considered not renewing this season, but eventually gave LJ and co. another season in hope something would change and I’d get £499 worth of entertainment.

The talk of fast, expansive, attacking football has either been bullshit, or, it’s my fault for not being easily impressed.  Either way maybe I’ll give it a break until LJ has gone (if he ever does in my lifetime [I am in my 60’s]).

Absolutely mirrors my thoughts, my first season ticket was 1986 and previous to that stood on the terraces, didn’t bother this season and glad I didn’t, football by all accounts has been pretty poor, I don’t know what it’s going to take for me to buy another.

I'm glad to read that its not just me! We have a couple of season tickets and get to matches when we can. Barely any 3pm Saturday KOs thus far has made it difficult. But when we can get to the Gate it's a great excuse to meet up now that our family are scattered around the country. We rarely miss a Boxing Day game. And we travel - Swansea and Reading this season. Watching City is a thing we all do. But driving back yesterday, despite us having bought an extra ticket for the Rotherham match, there was some discussion of whether another tedious borefest, watching tedious Lee Johnson's tedious Bristol City is what we really want to be doing on a precious day when we are all gathered together as a family.

I guess we'll be there - but I don't know anyone who is excited about watching City this season - and as others have said there were boos at the final whistle...

...and then we listened to a deluded LJ spout nonsense on Radio Bristol as though letting the mighty Brentford dominate us at home was all part of the plan. The man's out of his depth, sitting on his hands watching cluelessly from the bench...

10 minutes ago, 054123 said:

We’ve got it in us to play some great stuff, easily good enough for top 6.

This is a 'nail on head' post and the cause of my, and no doubt others, frustrations. We can do it, we all know we can do it but we just don't. Why? I don't know but things have to change or the Gate will be a desolate place next season which would be a real pity after the club invested to provide both the facilities we now have and the highest attendance figures for years. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Interesting point. 

I’m going to say 15,500. 

I'll say <10k. 

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Club cannot 'count' SC holders for a cup game. I think we will be lucky to break 10k

Yes Johnson out definitely, all he has done Is the following -

saved us from relegation

improved our league position for 3 seasons running

made a profit on transfers

took us to a national cup semi final for the first time in 30 years

seen average attendances at their highest level for nearly 40 years

had us mid table now in a division where the majority of clubs have bigger budgets and some parachute payments of countless millions.

oh and six games undefeated 

what we need is Steve Bruce who achieved mid table with Villa with the biggest budget in the division or O'Driscoll because it was great then blah blah blah

4 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

saved us from relegation

had us mid table now in a division where the majority of clubs have bigger budgets and some parachute payments of countless millions.

what we need is Steve Bruce who achieved mid table with Villa with the biggest budget in the division or O'Driscoll because it was great then blah blah blah

Happy New Year Lee.... any chance you could play two up front Saturday and tell the strikers they need to shoot to be able to score a goal.... many thanks... 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This is a 'nail on head' post and the cause of my, and no doubt others, frustrations. We can do it, we all know we can do it but we just don't. Why? I don't know but things have to change or the Gate will be a desolate place next season which would be a real pity after the club invested to provide both the facilities we now have and the highest attendance figures for years. 

I'll say <12k. 

You are right it will.

Why don't we do it?

In my opinion we now have a culture in the club of the acceptance of mediocrity - all the way down from the top.

Regardless of what the owner says in public, there is no real ambition beyond staying in this league . That has clearly transferred through to the coaches and the playing staff.

There was no desire or urgency yesterday and there hasn't been all season.

Nobody on the pitch looked hacked off at the result nor was there any displeasure shown by the supporters - we have all become , to an extent, compliant.

SC sales may well drop off next year but we should be letting the club know how we feel - trouble is, lots of supporters are happy with the way things are, having bought into ' the we are not a big club' 'parachute payments' 'FFP' etc arguments - hell, some spout it on here verbatim.

What happened to the concept of the squad and the coaching staff really WANTING to win.

What happened to working all week on trying to IMPROVE players?

What happened to desire?

What happened to trying to be the absolute best you can be?

I don't see any of that - #toocosy

6 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

saved us from relegation

(yep he did)

(with unprecedented financial backing)

(that he didn’t bring to the club)

(yep - so why have things gone so tits up?)

(not difficult given that he’s the only bloke to have had his side play in a shiny new stadium - and let’s not forget the false figures the club are releasing re attendances)

(and there are some with bigger below us)

(we’ve not won at home in about 1,000 games)

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

All joking aside Robbo.....genuinely interested to know your take on Lee Johnson now, his plan and the football we are producing ?

You've always been an admirer of him ...just wondering if your opinion has changed? And how you feel now?

I’ve posted before that I’m neutral on LJ. 

That said he’s managing the club with one hand behind his back due the fiscal restrictions he works under. With that in mind I think he’s doing a reasonable job - we’re well placed in mid table with a possibility of pushing for the pray-offs come the spring.

But..... in the last few games at AG he’s been serving up carbon copies of his dads style of football and that worries me. I sometimes think of how influential his father still is..........:sad26:

LJ did say in a recent interview how more difficult it is to perform well at AG because the opposition frequently set up to ‘park the bus’ and that City haven't had the guile to break down packed defences whereas away matches the onus is on the home team..

I daresay Rotherham will do exactly that - two banks of four with a wing back and one up top and hope to hit us on the break or from a set piece.

Unlike some I’m prepared to be patient. It’s a job in progress and no doubt LJ has a particular style he wants to develop but as yet we’ve not seen what that style is. Maybe with some astute loans in the window we might see what that style is.

I also think he gets some unfair criticism - particularly on here. Certain posters just slag him off with little justification and some even alter and twist his post match comments as a stick to beat him with.............:facepalm:

The whole entertainment factor is justifiably symptomatic of modern society's greater awareness as a customer today. I say justifiably because fans pay a greater proportion of their income on season tickets/ match day tickets/ everything that goes with it than ever before; and if you pay more you expect more especially with there being far more alternatives. This expectation is heightened more when you factor in how high players are being paid relative to the people watching and are so detached from reality it's mad. 

I think people are forgetful if they think this is the most boring fare they have been dished up, the majority of the mid 90s was dour, o'driscoll, mciness more recently; however the way society is we expect more entertainment as we are more aware than ever that we are consumers, and there have been plenty of examples in society of how powerful speaking out can have an influence on things (brexit and trump to name 2 obvious examples) and in the uncertain and generally rough times we face we see football as an outlet and entertainment stream and are more heightened to how it impacts us. 

I know this sounds elaborate but here's the catch; the reality is attendances are higher than ever (regardless of whether you think the people turn up you can't forge figures as drastically and those of you claiming they do sound like gssheads claiming 45000 at wembley). Landsdown is a businessman and am sure aware of how important entertainment is but it's a simple case of better the devil you know who has in his tenure kept the ship moving forward slowly than the greater gamble of someone you don't know who may be more entertaining but exposes a greater risk in terms of relegation and greater financial loss.

It sucks football is business, it's part of the reason why so many feel disillusioned. Yesterday was boring but Johnson has delivered enough to demonstrate he isn't clueless and despite the frustrated ones on here the majority aren't talking with their feet. Furthermore if you think we are unique with this issues of lack of entertainment your wrong. 

37 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

You are right it will.

Why don't we do it?

In my opinion we now have a culture in the club of the acceptance of mediocrity - all the way down from the top.

Regardless of what the owner says in public, there is no real ambition beyond staying in this league . That has clearly transferred through to the coaches and the playing staff.

There was no desire or urgency yesterday and there hasn't been all season.

Nobody on the pitch looked hacked off at the result nor was there any displeasure shown by the supporters - we have all become , to an extent, compliant.

SC sales may well drop off next year but we should be letting the club know how we feel - trouble is, lots of supporters are happy with the way things are, having bought into ' the we are not a big club' 'parachute payments' 'FFP' etc arguments - hell, some spout it on here verbatim.

What happened to the concept of the squad and the coaching staff really WANTING to win.

What happened to working all week on trying to IMPROVE players?

What happened to desire?

What happened to trying to be the absolute best you can be?

I don't see any of that - #toocosy

Cracking post SR.

2 points:

What's the definition of madness? Trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome (or something like that). That, to me, is what we're doing, constantly. It doesn't work so we'll do it again, exactly the same. BOOORRRIIIINNGG.

Secondly, we like to take the mick out of the gas with their 'evolution not revolution' garbage. Aren't we just as bad at the moment, accepting mediocrity because we have a shiny new stadium (which is superb)?

I agree with you, it's all too bloody comfy! If I was remotely entertained, I would be more accepting but the current guff, although it will leave us mid table, is genuinely boring us to sleep.

I've no idea what the answer is but something needs to change or the crowd V Huddersfield will become the norm rather than the exception. 

4 minutes ago, Pistol_Pete said:

I know this sounds elaborate but here's the catch; the reality is attendances are higher than ever (regardless of whether you think the people turn up you can't forge figures as drastically and those of you claiming they do sound like gssheads claiming 45000 at wembley). Landsdown is a businessman and am sure aware of how important entertainment is but it's a simple case of better the devil you know who has in his tenure kept the ship moving forward slowly than the greater gamble of someone you don't know who may be more entertaining but exposes a greater risk in terms of relegation and greater financial loss.

Good post Pete but the quoted bit is surely poor business? Short term, yes, happy days but people won't pay to watch this garbage long term will they? A slight flaw in the model IMHO when SC sales drop to possibly 10/11k next season as denoted by the swathes of empty seats we have at the moment which are already paid for and counted (I've no idea if it's 7,000 as quoted by the way, not a clue). 

58 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

saved us from relegation

(yep he did)

(with unprecedented financial backing)

(that he didn’t bring to the club)

(yep - so why have things gone so tits up?)

(not difficult given that he’s the only bloke to have had his side play in a shiny new stadium - and let’s not forget the false figures the club are releasing re attendances)

(and there are some with bigger below us)

(we’ve not won at home in about 1,000 games)

spot on fordy, god knows what football some will put up with till the light dawns............................................eventually

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Short term, yes, happy days but people won't pay to watch this garbage long term will they? A slight flaw in the model IMHO when SC sales drop to possibly 10/11k next season as denoted by the swathes of empty seats we have at the moment which are already paid for and counted (I've no idea if it's 7,000 as quoted by the way, not a clue). 

That won’t happen. Get real........jeez........:sleeping:

16 minutes ago, Pistol_Pete said:

I think people are forgetful if they think this is the most boring fare they have been dished up, the majority of the mid 90s was dour, o'driscoll, mciness more recently

I don't think it helps when the current manager has a squad full of players who each individually cost more than your Osman or McInnes was allowed to spend in their entire time at the club. One might expect dour defensive boredom from a manager of the past given only free-transfers and cast offs to work with and desperately trying to be competitive, but I think the boredom is a lot harder to take with the tools and backing LJ has to work with.

He sets up a decent team away from home at the moment, so this is not writing off LJ, but why has it become so hard for him to setup an inventive, attacking team at Ashton Gate that plays to our strengths and really imposes itself upon inferior away sides? He's had the time, he's had the opportunity to recruit, even if you allow for losing three key players, he's had all the ingredients to prepare a side to be bold at home and yet he is still searching.

Last year Plan B was knocking it long to Djuric or Flint. Not pretty but at times it was effective and it gave defenders something to worry about. This season at best our plan B is to finally introduce a second forward (hardly all out attack - and with our personnel normally yet another busy bee who also just drifts deep playing in a 4-5-1 rather than actually adding an actual target); at worse there is no Plan B, which tactically looks more likely to be the case.

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Good post Pete but the quoted bit is surely poor business? Short term, yes, happy days but people won't pay to watch this garbage long term will they? A slight flaw in the model IMHO when SC sales drop to possibly 10/11k next season as denoted by the swathes of empty seats we have at the moment which are already paid for and counted (I've no idea if it's 7,000 as quoted by the way, not a clue). 

I think such a dramatic drop off is unlikely given there is still plenty of cache and attraction to supporting a championship team; our supporter demographic has changed somewhat not quite glory supporters but transient supporters those who aren't as passionate as the hard-core (hence the flatter atmosphere at the gate these days and more empty seats in season ticket areas) who haven't perhaps grown up in the city; as long as he keeps them coming back (and in general it appears they are more results driven) things won't change and it's too risky for landsdown to make such a change. 

I think emotively fans here aren't comparing these current performances to previous eras more to their other options available today. That said some premier league games are incredibly boring but people still go...

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That won’t happen. Get real........jeez........:sleeping:

I have no idea how many aren't turning up Robbored but it's a fair few (no idea how many) and a relatively high % of them may not renew.

10/11k is probably too low but it's going to drop appreciably as things stand. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol_Pete said:

I think such a dramatic drop off is unlikely given there is still plenty of cache and attraction to supporting a championship team; our supporter demographic has changed somewhat not quite glory supporters but transient supporters those who aren't as passionate as the hard-core (hence the flatter atmosphere at the gate these days and more empty seats in season ticket areas) who haven't perhaps grown up in the city; as long as he keeps them coming back (and in general it appears they are more results driven) things won't change and it's too risky for landsdown to make such a change. 

I think emotively fans here aren't comparing these current performances to previous eras more to their other options available today. That said some premier league games are incredibly boring but people still go...

Maybe you're right Pete but I can see quite a drop as things stand, not to the levels I stated (for effect TBH) but a fair old drop regardless, surely it can be avoided? 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I have no idea how many aren't turning up Robbored but it's a fair few (no idea how many) and a relatively high % of them won't renew.

10/11k is probably too low but it's going to drop appreciably as things stand. 

SC sales next season will be around the same as this season. Some won’t renew for numerous non football related reasons and others will rejoin or be first timers.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SC sales next season will be around the same as this season. Some won’t renew for numerous non football related reasons and others will rejoin or be first timers.

Fair enough RR, that's your opinion. As things stand, I don't think we've got a hope in hell of matching this year's figure and that they'll drop and drop quite considerably. It will be interesting to see how we do TBH. 

How many are we at currently, 17k isn't it? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yeah some will continue to follow City through thick and thin

its called being a fan CTID and all that sort of thing

Quite right. I stayed loyal throughout despite the boring and drab stuff served up by Senior.

1 couldn’t not renew......  CTID.

Now some posters are whinging about the exact same thing under Junior..............:cool2:

Archived