IGNORED

Brown, green and red

ExiledAjax

Approximately 1 in 8 men have some level of colour for, or 'colour blindness'. I am included in this number. Most match-day squads will have 2 players with poor colour vision. Probably 5-10% of the crowd will have it to some degree.

Colour deficiency most often affects the ability to distinguish between shades of red, brown, and green. This is because the individual does not perceive red or green as strongly as those with standard vision.

Yesterday Bristol City wore red, Brentford wore brown, our keeper wore green and the whole thing was played in unnatural light on a green background with red shirts and seats in the crowd. Pretty much a perfect storm.

I have 'mild' colour deficiency, roughly 6/10 on the severity scale. I watched from the stands and at times, when the game was played quickly and tackles fly in, it is difficult to quickly and accurately distinguish players. Then in the second half I noticed Pack passed the ball straight to a Brentford player. He had looked up, and still played it in to the wrong guy. 

Did anyone else have an issue yesterday? Anyone know if any of our players are in record as being colour deficient? How can yesterday's kit selection be a sensible choice?

I am officially 100% Colour Blind and have dreadful issues in some conditions. I'm glad I wasn't there yesterday......I would have given up. 

As I understand it, the most easily recognised colour on the spectrum is blue..... as demonstrated by dogs who were asked to chase a frisbee. The dogs picked up the flight of a blue frisbee noticeably quicker than any other colour. 

This explains why several City players pass the ball to nobody in particular. They can’t tell the difference between City’s red shirts and the green grass. On a more serious note, with all the science applied to football these days, why don’t teams take this into consideration? A bright yellow kit could be an advantage. Several years ago befor a world / European cup match the players of one team all dyed their hair yellow. Jimmy Hill was one of the pundits and he said this would give them an advantage as they would be easier to pick out. The other pundits just laughed, but perhaps Jimmy was right after all  

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I am officially 100% Colour Blind and have dreadful issues in some conditions. I'm glad I wasn't there yesterday......I would have given up. 

As I understand it, the most easily recognised colour on the spectrum is blue..... as demonstrated by dogs who were asked to chase a frisbee. The dogs picked up the flight of a blue frisbee noticeably quicker than any other colour. 

Likewise, I was playing a game myself a few years back, my side in Purple and the other team in blue! Needless to say i had an absolute shocker :facepalm:

32 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This explains why several City players pass the ball to nobody in particular. They can’t tell the difference between City’s red shirts and the green grass. On a more serious note, with all the science applied to football these days, why don’t teams take this into consideration? A bright yellow kit could be an advantage. Several years ago befor a world / European cup match the players of one team all dyed their hair yellow. Jimmy Hill was one of the pundits and he said this would give them an advantage as they would be easier to pick out. The other pundits just laughed, but perhaps Jimmy was right after all  

It was Romania in (I think) the 1998 World Cup. All of them bleached their hair.

Not a colour blindness thing, but which genius decided to use white writing with the red background for the half-time scores?

I struggle to make them out and some older dudes around me haven't a scooby what is written there.

Black on red please, City. Not all our eyes are in the first flush of youth....

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Good news for some people recently of a parish near here...

9FAFA228-9135-49AC-85BB-6C64C6FCEBAC.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not a colour blindness thing, but which genius decided to use white writing with the red background for the half-time scores?

I struggle to make them out and some older dudes around me haven't a scooby what is written there.

Black on red please, City. Not all our eyes are in the first flush of youth....

I had exactly the same problem, RR. From my position in W16, my eyes strained to make out the white letters and numbers which blended in with the red background.

And as for  Brentford's away strip, burnt toast and marmalade comes to mind. 

I did wonder myself if their kit was an issue / excuse for us not playing as well as we have done in recent games.

It brings to mind the MUFC game in which they wore grey and changed at half time due to players having difficulty picking out their own players. 

I’m sure clubs must check players eyesight but not sure if they would check for levels of colour blindness. Well worth checking and perhaps take it into consideration when picking our own kit colours? As much as I love the purple & lime kit does it cause any issues or even make it easier for the opposition to pick us out.?

If we could just get sponsored by JK Rowling we could use the cloth Potter used for his invisibility cloak to make our kit with!

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Approximately 1 in 8 men have some level of colour for, or 'colour blindness'. I am included in this number. Most match-day squads will have 2 players with poor colour vision. Probably 5-10% of the crowd will have it to some degree.

Colour deficiency most often affects the ability to distinguish between shades of red, brown, and green. This is because the individual does not perceive red or green as strongly as those with standard vision.

Yesterday Bristol City wore red, Brentford wore brown, our keeper wore green and the whole thing was played in unnatural light on a green background with red shirts and seats in the crowd. Pretty much a perfect storm.

I have 'mild' colour deficiency, roughly 6/10 on the severity scale. I watched from the stands and at times, when the game was played quickly and tackles fly in, it is difficult to quickly and accurately distinguish players. Then in the second half I noticed Pack passed the ball straight to a Brentford player. He had looked up, and still played it in to the wrong guy. 

Did anyone else have an issue yesterday? Anyone know if any of our players are in record as being colour deficient? How can yesterday's kit selection be a sensible choice?

I'm colour blind so completely sympathise.  Yesterday was ok because of our white shorts, but one of the reasons I hate it when City wear all red is because of issues like this. Had we worn red shorts yesterday I would have found it pretty impossible.

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

How can yesterday's kit selection be a sensible choice?

This is a non-excuse for me. I once played a league game where the ref allowed my team to wear yellow jerseys with black trim and the opposition wore yellow jerseys with blue trim (because they had no kit option that didn't clash with ours). Red and Brown offered enough of a contrast for the majority of players on that field, so not a reason for a largely uninspiring performance. It was just a very stodgy game. 

8 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Blue v red is fine.

My old 5 a side team wore purple. Blue v Purple is impossible. You don't see the red element of the purple so it just ends up as blue v blue.

Archived