IGNORED

Why Johnson should be sacked

SStandUp

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I agree , Norwich was a good game . Said on another thread, Norwich and Derby make you wonder why we set up as we did Vs Brentford. Played well in both games, tried to win them and very nearly did. Brentford were very , very unlucky not to win. They created all the chances and had much better threat than us, and we went one striker and basically 5 midfielders, it was a hard watch.
The Sheff U game was interesting, personally I'd like him to try and impose ourselves on teams , not concentrate on their strengths. Thing is because the tactic worked it does seem like he's has become very conservative in his team set up lately. 

Because (imho) both Derby and Norwich okay on the front-foot, and therefore give you space in which to break into, which creates an impression of exciting football....in fairness it is, but you also get spells of ‘them’ knocking it around whilst we sit in.

I wasn’t there yesterday, but it appears Brentford played high line, and compressed us, knowing that Diedhiou wouldn’t run in behind.  Jeanvier’s heatmap versus Webster’s shows his touches are predominantly 5-10 yards higher, and I bet if you removed Webster’s ventures forward, it would be quite significant.

Our front three versus there front three are in stark constraint when you look at heatmaps too.

47758787-A757-43DC-A3BA-FADE6947767E.thumb.jpeg.c7eb724f510512c4090a8f1cfdd6f67a.jpeg

It probably backs up the comment re Webster v Janvier too.

Teams that concede space (typically the higher teams who think their overall skill will beat us in the end) will suit us, teams that don’t (typically the hard working lower positioned teams) will provide a problem.

Last season we had Reid who could play both ways and therefore we had a different option to counteract tight lines (not fishing!!).

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You “don’t think another manager in the world would buy into the clubs (sic) vision”.... good grief! What a statement! Is that you admitting that our club’s (apostrophe) vision is so ludicrous that only ONE manager in the WORLD can buy into it? Or was that just a ridiculous load of guff? I suspect the latter because we’d have a significant number of people applying for the job as manager of Bristol City FC, if the position became available.

And you describe discussions about LJ on social media as “pure poison” - good grief (again)! Another superb overraction! Fans not being happy with what’s going on at their club is their right, to discuss it publicly is their right, but it’s poison?! Sorry “pure poison” - so not the watered down stuff...?! 

Get a grip chief.....managers up and down the 92 clubs divide opinions amongst their fanbases.....and social media allows fans to debate this 24/7 - and you want LJ to go because you can’t take it anymore?! Go find your safe space, the rest of the fans will debate our club’s situation whenever and however we wish to do so....

Twitter is poison.. people tagging the manager/ players and owner in tweets telling them how shit they are. 

I woukd call that poisoneous, yes! 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I think Johnson should leave because our squad is capable of more than it is displaying at present. LJ cannot get the best out of them. 

Really? Are you sure about that. How about you go and have a look at the other 11 clubs above us and there squads and rethink that one 

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bottom line - what fans think about LJ  means bugger all to SL. All he wants is LJ to work his strategy and at the same time want to see signs of progress season on season. At Senior Reds Xmas lunch he said he wants to reach the pray offs this season. 

Thats why I say LJ is working with one hand tied behind his back. No doubt at all that SL is tough and demanding boss..

LJ must have known the plan before he signed, anyway his tongue probably makes up for the use of only one hand. ?

2 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Really? Are you sure about that. How about you go and have a look at the other 11 clubs above us and there squads and rethink that one 

I don’t think the other teams are releveant if Fordy thinks LJ should be getting more out of the payers we have.  It’s his opinion, and thinks more is possible, and someone else in charge would do that.

4 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Twitter is poison.. people tagging the manager/ players and owner in tweets telling them how shit they are. 

I woukd call that poisoneous, yes! 

Bottom line; everyone should be able to say on a forum what they think........that's all it is...WHAT THEY THINK :dunno: as for twitter ...whats that then ?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And you think the manager should be sacked because of criticism on social media?

I don't want Johnson sacked at all! But I'm sick of the negativity, the atmosphere at ashton gate is horrendous too!

Thr atmosphere around the club is only going to change when LJ goes. Too many people have agendas against him

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I agree , Norwich was a good game . Said on another thread, Norwich and Derby make you wonder why we set up as we did Vs Brentford. Played well in both games, tried to win them and very nearly did. Brentford were very , very unlucky not to win. They created all the chances and had much better threat than us, and we went one striker and basically 5 midfielders, it was a hard watch.
The Sheff U game was interesting, personally I'd like him to try and impose ourselves on teams , not concentrate on their strengths. Thing is because the tactic worked it does seem like he's has become very conservative in his team set up lately. 

Think Brentford are going through a tough spell but wouldn't class them as so inferior. Millwall yes, Preston in a number of ways yes. Brentford? Lot of decent players, still strong in possession- was anticipating a tough game and that's what we got.

If we have similar Saturday though...that's a completely different matter.

Five midfielders and one up top? No problems with that provided the main striker gets strong support in attacking phases and the centre is filled during midfield phases IMO.

Whether we're getting the best out of that setup is a different debate- I'd like to see both O'Dowda and Eliasson starting for one, would give the opposition especially when we're at home something to worry about!

6 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I don't want Johnson sacked at all! But I'm sick of the negativity, the atmosphere at ashton gate is horrendous too!

Thr atmosphere around the club is only going to change when LJ goes. Too many people have agendas against him

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. I think the atmosphere at the Gate is consistently flat and quiet because the crowd is fed up of totally boring, inept performances....we haven’t won at home for over two months....I think your ‘agendas’ comment is a bit paranoid...people are just fed up of watching tepid, boring football with little threat of scoring.....that’s all....

7 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

LJ must have known the plan before he signed.

Of course he did. He knows it’s a tough ask to accomplish everything SL demands but accepted the challenge all the same.

He loves City and wants desperately to achieve promotion to the PL and all the while with one hand tied behind his back....like posted earlier - he has a tough and demanding boss with high expectations.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. I think the atmosphere at the Gate is consistently flat and quiet because the crowd is fed up of totally boring, inept performances....we haven’t won at home for over two months....I think your ‘agendas’ comment is a bit paranoid...people are just fed up of watching tepid, boring performances.....that’s all....

Yep.  If you take me as a poster on here, I never go to AG with any agenda on board.  I want us to win, play well, etc.  I never boo, I never create a toxic atmosphere.

Fans react to what’s going on, on the pitch in the main.  There hasn’t been enough excitement in general.  The crowd second half v Stoke in a defeat was fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course he did. He knows it’s a tough ask to accomplish everything SL demands but accepted the challenge all the same.

He loves City and wants desperately to achieve promotion to the PL and all the while with one hand tied behind his back....like posted earlier - he has a tough and demanding boss with high expectations.

Well the boss should go then, no good sending someone shopping with a few pence and expect him to buy something worth £50

LJ would do himself and the club far better if his post match comments made sense and he explained plainly what his approach is and how it is or isn't being met; and when it isn't says how he is going to put matters right.

If he speaks equal gobbledook to the players it isn't surprising our performances are all over the shop

Locally I support 7th tier Worthing, whose manager, ex Brighton player, is crystal clear post match on what went wrong, when it does. He seems to me to be Championship quality whereas LJ appears 7th tier

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Do you mean SL when talking about his ‘boss’? If so, SL isn’t that tough and demanding in football terms....how long do you think LJ would have lasted at Leeds or Watford with his record? They are examples of clubs with bosses who are tough and demanding with high expectations....

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

LJ would do himself and the club far better if his post match comments made sense and he explained plainly what his approach is and how it is or isn't being met; and when it isn't says how he is going to put matters right.

If he speaks equal gobbledook to the players it isn't surprising our performances are all over the shop

Locally I support 7th tier Worthing, whose manager, ex Brighton player, is crystal clear post match on what went wrong, when it does. He seems to me to be Championship quality whereas LJ appears 7th tier

You’re right. It doesn’t help. 

Europe in 5 years was ridiculous. You’d have though he’d learn but then comes “yes” to the question “could you win the Premier League with Bristol City?”. Jesus wept. He believes his own press. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You’re right. It doesn’t help. 

Europe in 5 years was ridiculous. You’d have though he’d learn but then comes “yes” to the question “could you win the Premier League with Bristol City?”. Jesus wept. He believes his own press. 

If he had laughed and said no fooking chance to Europe, no chance of the premier league would people have excepted that ?

If you believe that yes that would better, can you explain why you vote because politicians talk more shite than Lee and some people vote for someone or something without  listening to what they say but they do talk bollocks.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you mean SL when talking about his ‘boss’? If so, SL isn’t that tough and demanding in football terms....how long do you think LJ would have lasted at Leeds or Watford with his record? They are examples of clubs with bosses who are tough and demanding with high expectations....

You repeatedly fail to have any understanding of what SLs strategy is........sadly you’re not alone with that shortcoming.

Its usually the anti LJ brigade that expose their ignorance of said strategy.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You repeatedly fail to have any understanding of what SLs strategy is........sadly you’re not alone with that shortcoming.

Its usually the anti LJ brigade that expose their ignorance of said strategy.

What has any of that got to do with me saying SL isn’t that ‘tough and demanding’ in football terms? And you don’t think the bosses at Leeds and Watford are proper examples of ‘tough and demanding’? 

....and for you to judge people and point out what you think are ‘shortcomings’ is just laughable...

5 minutes ago, reddoh said:

If he had laughed and said no fooking chance to Europe, no chance of the premier league would people have excepted that ?

If you believe that yes that would better, can you explain why you vote because politicians talk more shite than Lee and some people vote for someone or something without  listening to what they say but they do talk bollocks.

How about when asked about winning the Premier aleague etc etc

’One step at a time , I need to build a squad here to challenge promotion before we can evenness compete in that level’

Not difficult is it ?

Whats the  excuse about the Ollie Watkins spiel ?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Xiled said:

The question we (the fans) have to be honest about is are we genuinely happy with mid-table seasons?

Many said they would be in August after we sold Bryan, Reid and Flint but here we are in December moaning about performances and points (at home at least).

We've got exactly what many of us expected and previously said we would be happy with. And yet very, very few people seem to think that LJ is the answer.

Compared to our history, we're doing better than nearly all of our years of existence. We're roughly where we should be in relation to home crowds and other 'size' metrics. We spend average money for the Championship and we are rewarded with average points.

So why the dissatisfaction?

For me, it's a lack of a plan 'b'. When our game was clearly not working against Brentford, there appeared to be no answer to counter the away team's dominance. Substitutes were late and mostly ineffective. We looked second best in all departments.

As has been said in other threads, LJ now seems paralysed by the fear of losing at home. Understandably so in the context of keeping his job. But equally, we all think there is a decent team there that someone could get better performances from. We are more often setup to stifle the opposition's system rather than impose our own.

It's all reflective of a head coach who is probably in this job too soon. By rushing LJ through the door, Stephen Lansdown overlooked that his choice had not proved his credentials at Barnsley and Oldham. Players sense that weakness. The strong characters we are desperately missing are not going to be signed.

I can only see a continuation of the win, lose, draw sequence for the foreseeable future. So, back to my original question, are we genuinely prepared to accept that?

What’s the point in being satisfied with mid table mediocrity?  Why enter a competition if you aren’t going to be able to compete? 

Over the years we’ve had these little runs of being relatively safe, not likely to go down, highly unlikely to go up and every time a malaise sets in with the fan base and why wouldn’t it, the seasons chasing promotion from a lower league are more exciting, more entertaining and meet the objective of a competitive team.

How long would people be happy going along to watch unentertaining football, with nothing to get excited about?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How about when asked about winning the Premier aleague etc etc

’One step at a time , I need to build a squad here to challenge promotion before we can evenness compete in that level’

Not difficult is it ?

Whats the  excuse about the Ollie Watkins spiel ?

People like to big themselves up (no pun intended)

as for Ollie I have no facts or information so I will not offer an opinion as I would more than likely be blowing out my arse

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What has any of that got to do with me saying SL isn’t that ‘tough and demanding’ in football terms? And you don’t think the bosses at Leeds and Watford are proper examples of ‘tough and demanding’? 

....and for you to judge people and point out what you think are ‘shortcomings’ is just laughable...

By comparing LJs situation with Leeds and Watford managers simply amplifies your lack understanding.

1 hour ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

You are close to the real point, but in fact lets face it, the problem at Bristol City FC is the Owner. He has taken what used to feel like a club with heart and passion and one which was so important to so many for so long and through his control has now lost its identity and ownership of its stadium. Devoid of any interest in its history prior to his arrival this version of the club by Steve Lansdown now feels like a franchise under one mans control, because that is what it has become.  This Bristol Sport heading is also not helping  and means little to anyone... It used to feel like 'our club' and those who followed it passionately and paid their money over the turnstiles, are now discontent, because they feel that they no longer have a voice and fan power means little at Bristol City, we are now simply customers and customers can come and go.

It’s the way of the world these days, if it wasn’t  SL it’s be someone from China or somewhere and we really don’t want that. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

That would be why it's a case of is there someone else who we feel can move us further. If we don't think we'd move further (and just stay mid table) with someone else is it worth potentially ripping everything up just because a new manager wants something different/their own team? 

We’ve ignored potential managers for years who could have moved us on, only to stand aside and watch them promote other clubs to the promised land...because we apparently have a ‘strategy’ in place that doesn’t involve being successful any time soon...

Archived