IGNORED

‘WE’RE WORKING HARD TO SEE GAMES OUT’

Lrrr

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

All well and lovely but LJ did this in the past and we lost lots of points because of it.

He always attacked , never sat back on a lead and threw on forwards as substitutes.

Seems to have gone the other way now . 

He must find the balance .

Last season we leaked goals like no other team in the top half, but scored plenty, I don’t believe we conceded so often due to attacking more, but because of midfielders standing off when they should have been defending (which still happens) and a defence that had no faith in the GK, some of the defenders were also very regularly out of position or could not be arsed to get back when needed - JB was often guilty of exposing others!

If we had had  the current back 4 an GK last season things would have been very different!

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, I wonder whether coaches think about the impact of what they say on fans.

Dean has effectively publicly stated that it is indeed our plan to sit on a lead. 

It's a way of playing but it suggests that Lee got more out of meeting Mourinho than meeting Guardiola. Reactive is now preferred to proactive football it seems.

It is not the impact it has on the fans that matters, but the impact on the players; and that is all too plain to see.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

It is not the impact it has on the fans that matters, but the impact on the players; and that is all too plain to see.

Which brings me back to Mourinho. The Man Utd players clearly hated being told to play such negative football, especially at home. I'm sure most players would feel the same - sure it's their job but they want to enjoy doing it.

The impact on the fans matters too though as it leads to a poor atmosphere and, increasingly it seems, fans simply staying away. Coming out and saying in effect that we plan to go 1-0 up then sit on it is at best terrible PR.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

I'm not sure Mourinho was ever much of a laptop manager. Indeed it is said he coached defending only and left his forwards to work things out for themselves.

The problem is he persists in believing that the route to success lies in letting the opposition have the ball, playing a 'low block' and waiting for them to make mistakes.

Certainly agree with this and your other points on Mourinho.

I also can't fully agree with @Bri Stool City as the higher you go these days, the more complex the game and tactics get. Would class Championship as 5th or 6th best league in the world now so things are changing for sure.

@dave36 Agree to a point...but tactical flaws and problems with balance also IMO played a role in the deterioration of our defensive stability.

@1960maaan They wouldn't have been runaway leaders had we won. Actually it's one of the big what if scenarios in our recent history.

We lost to a very good side, but if only we had put Flint back at 1-0 and looked to negate their break- and indeed hit them on the break at home with a goal and man advantage...

We win that night, we are suddenly 5 points back from Wolves.

A mere week before the gap after 23 games was 10- that's huge psychologically. For both sides! Then you have Derby a further 2 back, Cardiff 3 back, the early signs of a Villa revival and Fulham too? The heat is on Wolves suddenly, plus their 2 month unbeaten run suddenly gone slap bang in the middle of the Christmas period.

Throw in 2nd half of season trips to Cardiff, Fulham, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough and the fact us, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Derby, Cardiff and Aston Villa all play Monday whereas Wolves later in the week?

That's huge. Wow- the pressure transforms our situation for the better and theirs a bit for the worse hugely psychologically- with Brentford at home no banker either.

However their win, going 11 above us in 3rd- huge cushion. Nearly home and hosed for top 2, let alone the huge surge in confidence in winning how they did.

Had we won though highly unlikely, it is not impossible Wolves may have crumbled.

I would never have put Flint up top in the first place.  Said at the time.  I would’ve just ground them down, knacker them out 11v10.  Might’ve ended up 0-0, but imho we wouldn’t have lost.  In fact our goal came from a slick move without needing Flint up top.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would never have put Flint up top in the first place.  Said at the time.  I would’ve just ground them down, knacker them out 11v10.  Might’ve ended up 0-0, but imho we wouldn’t have lost.  In fact our goal came from a slick move without needing Flint up top.

Couldn't agree more Dave. Sat in the SS with my mates watching a game we are dominating and sticking our CB upfront.That defeat destroyed us and certainly put an end to the confidence and ultimately the way the season panned out for us. It seems we still haven't recovered from it........

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They wouldn't have been runaway leaders had we won. Actually it's one of the big what if scenarios in our recent history.

True, but they were Champions elect by pretty much everyone. Definitely a "what if"
What if....

We had put Flint back.
We had just concentrated on covering their breakaways
Frankie hadn't had a rush of blood .....

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had we won though highly unlikely, it is not impossible Wolves may have crumbled.

I don't see that, but maybe the other side of the coin. We don't stink up the place for the next 6 months and we make the playoff's.

14 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not disagreeing with this, but a gentle reminder of the Wolves home game last season, where pushing forward for the second goal arguably cost us not just 2 points but all 3.

The slight flaw in that argument is the fact that at 1-0 against by far the best team in the league he kept a CB up front - against 10 men.

That is not to mitigate Frankie’s moment of madness but it didn’t help.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

True, but they were Champions elect by pretty much everyone. Definitely a "what if"
What if....

We had put Flint back.
We had just concentrated on covering their breakaways
Frankie hadn't had a rush of blood .....

I don't see that, but maybe the other side of the coin. We don't stink up the place for the next 6 months and we make the playoff's.

Most definitely agree with your first point.

Second bit, maybe or maybe not. I think we should have made playoffs last season from that base we had.

As for Wolves...well on paper no chance of them crumbling but quite a young squad, first season in England for a decent number and especially a relentless League like the Championship in the winter.

14 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

In stark contest to Dean Smith at Villa the other day who said something along the lines of “I don’t care if we’re one up or 4 up, we must always go the jugular!”  

I liked that a lot. 

And there having a lot of success with that.. with arguably the best team in the championship 

13 hours ago, forbespm said:

I failed home to Preston though.I couldn't stomach anymore and left with 5 mins to go!

I used to wake up with a buzz about matches, the day before a match. Even in the dark days of 1982.

Now I wake up on match day and keep saying to myself that I would have more fun if I went to the beach and watched the tide ebbing or flowing!

LJ supported by SL is killing our club.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Most definitely agree with your first point.

Second bit, maybe or maybe not. I think we should have made playoffs last season from that base we had.

As for Wolves...well on paper no chance of them crumbling but quite a young squad, first season in England for a decent number and especially a relentless League like the Championship in the winter.

A young squad with the correct DNA and a superb manager.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I used to wake up with a buzz about matches, the day before a match. Even in the dark days of 1982.

Now I wake up on match day and keep saying to myself that I would have more fun if I went to the beach and watched the tide ebbing or flowing!

LJ is very much SL's personal project.

It's more important to him than you or me enjoying supporting the club.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It is really really dire at the moment. I have zero expectations for today and LJ's latest 'inspirational' pitch to us supporters really isn't doing much to change that. The boo boys were warming their throats on Boxing Day and I can see it getting quite a bit more toxic today if we play one up top and 'work hard to see the game out' again! 

30 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ is very much SL's personal project.

It's more important to him than you or me enjoying supporting the club.

I think LJ (and MA) know it too.

I’m not LJ out, and I don’t think LJ is a yes-man either....I think the objectives are woolly and the reviews against these are lip service.

Saw that on the OS and it makes you shake your head in despair.  

It will be interesting  to see whatLJ does today.  I suspect it will be same as Boxing Day against mighty Rotherham.  and we have already been told what a strong side they are ?  

I really hope I am wrong but the three wise men won,t change a thing 

16 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Can’t wait for a point with an insipid draw followed by the proclamation that we’re seven unbeaten. 

Yeah. LJs idea season would be to draw every game and declare "we've gone the whole season unbeaten" until someone points out to him that we got relegated with 46 points. Does he not get the concept that 2 wins in 5 give you more points than 5 draws. His cautious thinking is why we seldom score more than 2 goals a game.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

It's very much coach speak, don't think you should take it too literally, even OTIB. 

English comprehension is not a strong point on this forum.

The Derby game was a good example of not seeing the game out with a couple of decent chances at 1-0 up.

Still, a good win today and all that will be forgotten and we'll be having threads on the playoffs ?

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

English comprehension is not a strong point on this forum.

The Derby game was a good example of not seeing the game out with a couple of decent chances at 1-0 up.

Still, a good win today and all that will be forgotten and we'll be having threads on the playoffs ?

Yep fickle we are... but so relieved to get a home win, it was always gonna be a horrible win, but that's football, see Spurs got beat, Man City are slipping, and Rovers won again, see? 

Archived