IGNORED

Johnson’s got go

no_merde

49 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I would say that our coach and his methods are more than 'decent'.

If they were not, we wouldn't be in the top half of this division and we wouldn't have the 5th best defence in the league.

How do you think that has happened if the manager is less than decent in your opinion?

Like many others I do not believe LJ will take us up. A decent coach would, given our playing staff, have got us, in my opinion, into the top six with the second or third best defensive record in the league, but most importantly might well get us to the higher division.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I actually agree with the OP as it's boring rubbish being served up, absolute dirge.

Yes, we beat 9 men but were most certainly 2nd best before the red cards against a team that haven't won away all season.

Spot on. We were shit.

Looked ok for the first 25 minutes but the cross that O’Dowda chose not to launch himself at set the tone for the rest of the game.

Rotherham were up for it in the second half and even when we were against 9 men it didn’t look like we’d score.

It might well be a results game but we were still shit and deserved **** all.

If that’s progression then I’m deluded.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

As stated many times by many posters, it's not the league position people are unhappy with, although some would say we're a tad fortunate, it's the total lack of anything resembling entertainment.

Essentially, Johnson is boring people into staying away from the football.

I think calling a league position fortunate in January is pushing it tbh

2 hours ago, no_merde said:

That was the most awful game I think i’ve watched at the gate in the last couple of months. We were all over the place and showed so little passion and purpose.

I’ve been such a supporter of the Johnsons in general and think without them we’d be out of the league by now, but even I can now see the futility of carry on with them.

We’ve got to cut ties and get some fresh blood in.

Sorry I know it wasn’t a good performance at all but we are in the top half, not playing great I agree - but we are doing ok point wise and that is to SL what is most important. If we can strengthen in January then there is no reason why we can’t keep pushing towards the top 6.

50 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought we were completely turgid again Dave 

DaSilva our main threat for most of the game

We didn’t really cause them any great problems

Tedious 

You’re far too polite Bob. It wasn’t turgid. It was shit.

We’re at home. 15 minutes to go. Against 9 men. The ball is hoofed in and a central defender gets his head on it.

Some call that progress. Some point to bring mid table and points off the play offs. Johnson talks about tips of icebergs and good stuff behind the scenes.

It’s a smokescreen. Under Johnson and ultimately Lansdown I see no tangible progress on the footballing front whatsoever.

Ok if you want to watch Muse, Rod, Spicey Girls or Take That.

Absolutely dreadful if all you want to see is entertaining football played by those who are capable of consistently performing at a standard to deliver that.

Johnson was lucky. 15 minutes away from having to defend the indefensible.....

33 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

To be fair, I thought that was fun. We threw everything including the proverbial kitchen sink at them, and then found a winner. To what extent is LJ a victim of his own champagne football success from last season?

Is it called "throwing everything" when it's 11 v 9?

The moment their number 23 got subbed they had NOTHING left going forward.

The goal was inevitable, even with our lack of creativity.

That said, well done to Webster for the header, Brownhill cos he really got going and

Weimann, bet you're glad the flag went up.

2 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

You’re far too polite Bob. It wasn’t turgid. It was shit.

We’re at home. 15 minutes to go. Against 9 men. The ball is hoofed in and a central defender gets his head on it.

Some call that progress. Some point to bring mid table and points off the play offs. Johnson talks about tips of icebergs and good stuff behind the scenes.

It’s a smokescreen. Under Johnson and ultimately Lansdown I see no tangible progress on the footballing front whatsoever.

Ok if you want to watch Muse, Rod, Spicey Girls or Take That.

Absolutely dreadful if all you want to see is entertaining football played by those who are capable of consistently performing at a standard to deliver that.

Johnson was lucky. 15 minutes away from having to defend the indefensible.....

We’ve progressed on the pitch in the last couple of years, that’s obvious. 

However, we’ve now stalled and so we need new ideas, who from I don’t know but Johnson isn’t the man to take us from top half to the play offs

The red cards definitely helped us out, we weren’t even on top until then. 7 games unbeaten and I’m amazed. I just don’t know how we’re getting away with it. 

Maybe I’m over looking things this seasons and underestimating how good our defence has been. 

If we sort out our attacking options we could be a serious force 

2 minutes ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

One of the brightest young managers in the league.

Tactically astute and plays an attractive brand of attacking football to wow the fans.

Works the transfer market very well with a limited budget so ticks all major boxes.

Give him a new deal.

Before the send offs today did you think we played attractive attacking football? Not trying to be a d*ck just curious 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought we were completely turgid again Dave 

DaSilva our main threat for most of the game

We didn’t really cause them any great problems

Tedious 

Didn’t see it like that Bob...although the penalty box is our weakness.  I thought Adelakun drifting around was a plus point, and we created several good moments, especially first half.  We didn’t open them up as much in the second half until the red cards.

But overall I saw things to enjoy.

But have a read if my ratings thread and see whether you agree or not.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Yes we are 7 games unbeaten and so many points off the play offs blah blah blah !!!  The Truth is we are difficult to beat which is good, however we also find it difficult to win matches.

We have no creativity and show little threat in front of goal,  our matches are becoming boring to watch and predictable lets be fair football is all about excitement and scoring goals and we don't offer either.

We will start losing fans soon because people aren't going to pay £35 to watch the stuff we are playing.

Time for a change i'm  affraid  

Why will we lose fans?

CTID and all that !!!!

We were a cr*p soft goal away from a dire 2 points from 6 over 2 Xmas home games. That saved the team from a barracking at the end. Yes the result pushes us up the table but the entertainment value is poor and everyone where I sit can see it and I think are getting bored of it. We are a bunch of tippy tappers that whilst we had the majority of the game, in the final third, we are week, slow, dull and wasteful. Against 11 men we would never had scored. Whilst no-one can moan about the league position, watching them away is far more fun than at home.

2 hours ago, South Somerset Red said:

Papering over the cracks! The way we are playing at the moment reminds me of the start of 16/17 season when we was playing pretty rubbish but high up in the table. We are in a false position in my opinion, absolute rubbish football being played and i stayed away today which is the first home match i've missed this season. I can't really comment much on today but by looking at stats and considering they was down to 9 men tells me all i need. Think some of you need to take those rose tinted glasses off.

I was there, and it was an entertaining game (certainly compared to Boxing Day).  There were two sides on the pitch and Rotherham fought for everything, and were very solid at the back.  When down to nine men they had almost everyone back and simply blocked everything we threw at them.  We were patient and the goal eventually came, and we won.  I left the ground rather pleased.

It never fails to amaze me how many people on this forum seem not to appreciate that there are two teams on the field at every football match.  No one has a divine right to win a match, and teams like Rotherham are always hard to beat away from home.  We have a young squad that is developing and I hope, possibly with one or two additions, will get better. The teams above us include Norwich, Leeds, WBA, Derby, Villa, all teams with considerably more resources than us.  To be within touch of the play-offs, after a patchy first half of the season, strikes me as pretty good.

You should have come.  You might have enjoyed seeing your your team win.  I always do.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

We’ve progressed on the pitch in the last couple of years, that’s obvious. 

However, we’ve now stalled and so we need new ideas, who from I don’t know but Johnson isn’t the man to take us from top half to the play offs

Well we haven't progressed much since 25games played last season; when we were 3rd place above Cardiff who are flying in the prem atm.

Now we remember what happened after xmas and after LJ dipped his boot in the transfer window don't we? we dropped like a stone. As we are not 3rd this season lets hope there is a big enough cushion underneath us to fall into.

So no, cant see how we have progressed on the pitch after some terrible performances recently the most recent being unable to score against relegation favs until they went down to 9 men. :dunno:

44 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Careful what you wish for as every game competitive in this division.

LJ is doing ok and hopefully decent January transfer window acquisitions compared to the last one which was wretched.

he is not doing ok we are in a worse position than last year ?

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Are you serious 11th, 4 points off the play offs...only 8 teams have lost more than us...yeah seems cut and dried argument to get rid of your manager.

well that's 8 places lower than 1st Jan 2018...so its not that cut and dried......then what happened?

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I was there, and it was an entertaining game (certainly compared to Boxing Day).  There were two sides on the pitch and Rotherham fought for everything, and were very solid at the back.  When down to nine men they had almost everyone back and simply blocked everything we threw at them.  We were patient and the goal eventually came, and we won.  I left the ground rather pleased.

It never fails to amaze me how many people on this forum seem not to appreciate that there are two teams on the field at every football match.  No one has a divine right to win a match, and teams like Rotherham are always hard to beat away from home.  We have a young squad that is developing and I hope, possibly with one or two additions, will get better. The teams above us include Norwich, Leeds, WBA, Derby, Villa, all teams with considerably more resources than us.  To be within touch of the play-offs, after a patchy first half of the season, strikes me as pretty good.

You should have come.  You might have enjoyed seeing your your team win.  I always do.

Good post - way too sensible for many on this forum. 

We are all disappointed with most of our home performances this season but let's have a sense of proportion. We lost 3 of our best players last season but have considerably improved our defence which has been a problem since we were promoted. This gives us a solid base to build on. Offensively we have lacked creativity in midfield and a regular goalscorer and there is still much to do but we have at young team who will improve individually and collectively.

As the DP says we don't have a divine right to beat anybody - look at Leeds today!

What I've been disappointed with in recent games has been the apparent lack of commitment.  Second to every ball, not chasing down so much, only half committed in the tackle and not challenging in the air.  How many balls were lobbed into the box with not a City player even challenging.

It looks like it's a cozy club where there is a lack of competition for places and a bunch of overpaid players who are just happy to turn up and claim their salaries.

Perhaps the manager is not able to motivate his players, perhaps there is insufficient financial incentive to win games or it may just be poor tactics.  Perhaps the tactical ineptness is the reason why the players are not motivated enough.

We lost impetus as a result of not ringing the changes in the January transfer window and I hope the same doesn't happen again this year.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am still LJ out but that was probably the most fun I have had up there this season. Rotherham played their part in that but strange day to post this

I thought it was quite a good game, easily could have ended 2-2 and very even until the sendings off after which LJ got it spot on with tactics and subs and we won 1-0.

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

All looks good on paper but football is a very expensive form of entertainment and if your customers think they are not getting value for money they will complain. That's what's happening here.

Agree and disagree with this.

You are right about perception of value for money and complaint.

On the flipside? Extremely competitive division, football in the UK is overpriced full stop tbh- it's a wider bubble issue than just us not playing sparkling football. Expectations of the possible/realistic vs prices in an inflationary market...tough dilemma? (However I think 4-3-3 would bolster us both tactically and entertainment wise).

@ReggyRed It's 7.

33 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I thought it was quite a good game, easily could have ended 2-2 and very even until the sendings off after which LJ got it spot on with tactics and subs and we won 1-0.

Yep we were not fantastic but it was better. Might even give the players some belief they can create at home even against teams who look to defend first

3 hours ago, South Somerset Red said:

Papering over the cracks! The way we are playing at the moment reminds me of the start of 16/17 season when we was playing pretty rubbish but high up in the table. We are in a false position in my opinion, absolute rubbish football being played and i stayed away today which is the first home match i've missed this season. I can't really comment much on today but by looking at stats and considering they was down to 9 men tells me all i need. Think some of you need to take those rose tinted glasses off.

Tbh we have much greater defensive stability it seems (talking underlying numbers not necessarily goals against) than start of 16/17. We were riding our luck quite a bit then- feels more midtable to me atm.

Archived