IGNORED

Johnson’s got go

no_merde

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep we were not fantastic but it was better. Might even give the players some belief they can create at home even against teams who look to defend first

As long as they have 2 players sent off!?

We won, and I'm obviously happy with that, but I thought it was another poor home performance, a little better than Boxing Day, but too one dimensional. Cross after cross after cross with limited threats on their goal.

Not sure we would have secured 3 points without the dismissals, but nevertheless a welcome home win.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree and disagree with this.

You are right about perception of value for money and complaint.

On the flipside? Extremely competitive division, football in the UK is overpriced full stop tbh- it's a wider bubble issue than just us not playing sparkling football. Expectations of the possible/realistic vs prices in an inflationary market...tough dilemma? (However I think 4-3-3 would bolster us both tactically and entertainment wise).

@ReggyRed It's 7.

I personally don't think our home form / style justifies the 1K I pay for 3 season tickets. 

You're right it's a wider thing in football and not exclusive to bristol city, but for the first time in 10years I think I'm not going to renew them, not because I can't afford them but I just don't think they are worth it any more. 

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I personally don't think our home form / style justifies the 1K I pay for 3 season tickets. 

You're right it's a wider thing in football and not exclusive to bristol city, but for the first time in 10years I think I'm not going to renew them, not because I can't afford them but I just don't think they are worth it any more. 

Worse than League One 13/14? Worse than O'Driscoll, Millen, McInnes era...?

Worse than e.g. Swindon at home in League Cup 2011 under Millen? I could go on- mind you it was cheaper then. My personal starting point was a 6-1 loss at home to Wolves in 1998, half season ticket going down under Benny then Pulis in League One- not great! There we are though.

Ultimately, the customer is always right.

Wider thing in football angle? Surely the bubble has to burst or at least deflate a bit at some point. Mind you, thought so for a while and it's defied all that.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Worse than League One 13/14? Worse than O'Driscoll, Millen, McInnes era...?

Worse than e.g. Swindon at home in League Cup 2011 under Millen? I could go on- mind you it was cheaper then. My personal starting point was a 6-1 loss at home to Wolves in 1998, half season ticket going down under Benny then Pulis in League One- not great! There we are though.

Ultimately, the customer is always right.

Wider thing in football angle? Surely the bubble has to burst or at least deflate a bit at some point. Mind you, thought so for a while and it's defied all that.

Its miles better than those days and not much more money so I totally get why it doesn't seem right. I've got some issues with the whole match day experience which go a bit further than the actual football which I won't bore you with, I've just really lost the love and that upsets me a bit.  

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Its miles better than those days and not much more money so I totally get why it doesn't seem right. I've got some issues with the whole match day experience which go a bit further than the actual football which I won't bore you with, I've just really lost the love and that upsets me a bit.  

Fair enough- think that's a wider thing in the direction of travel of UK football as well some of the views I do get personally. I hope you change your mind, hopefully more importantly hope City put on better football at home- which we'd all welcome- win back a few of the unhappy fans hopefully.

22 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

As long as they have 2 players sent off!?

We won, and I'm obviously happy with that, but I thought it was another poor home performance, a little better than Boxing Day, but too one dimensional. Cross after cross after cross with limited threats on their goal.

Not sure we would have secured 3 points without the dismissals, but nevertheless a welcome home win.

We did cross a lot but felt we tried some moves through the middle but lacked the quality. Think it really hit home today. We do lack quality perhaps why we are seeing more crosses. I don’t mind that just need to instruct players to try different types of crosses! Today was enjoyable at least for me so it goes a bit further for me even though it wasn’t great

1 hour ago, hollydog said:

Good post - way too sensible for many on this forum. 

We are all disappointed with most of our home performances this season but let's have a sense of proportion. We lost 3 of our best players last season but have considerably improved our defence which has been a problem since we were promoted. 2 of the defenders are loanees from Chelsea you know they wont be here next season, don't you This gives us a solid base to build on. Offensively we have lacked creativity in midfield and a regular goalscorer and there is still much to do but we have at young team who will improve individually and collectively.

As the DP says we don't have a divine right to beat anybody - look at Leeds today!

Keep hearing the 3 best players lost etc; why didn't we have suitable replacements lined up to replace them? and we will never have a suitable base to build on if we keep if we keep selling off the best we have?

We have yet to reach the dizzy heights of last season (3rd at this time) and this div is always tough...we lack ambition to kick on to the next level imo..

2 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Well we haven't progressed much since 25games played last season; when we were 3rd place above Cardiff who are flying in the prem atm.

Now we remember what happened after xmas and after LJ dipped his boot in the transfer window don't we? we dropped like a stone. As we are not 3rd this season lets hope there is a big enough cushion underneath us to fall into.

So no, cant see how we have progressed on the pitch after some terrible performances recently the most recent being unable to score against relegation favs until they went down to 9 men. :dunno:

I meant since LJ’s reign started. 

Picking out specific dates is pretty pointless

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What I've been disappointed with in recent games has been the apparent lack of commitment.  Second to every ball, not chasing down so much, only half committed in the tackle and not challenging in the air.  How many balls were lobbed into the box with not a City player even challenging.

It looks like it's a cozy club where there is a lack of competition for places and a bunch of overpaid players who are just happy to turn up and claim their salaries.

Perhaps the manager is not able to motivate his players, perhaps there is insufficient financial incentive to win games or it may just be poor tactics.  Perhaps the tactical ineptness is the reason why the players are not motivated enough.

We lost impetus as a result of not ringing the changes in the January transfer window and I hope the same doesn't happen again this year.

Whilst the football isn’t exciting at the moment. I certainly can’t question the players commitment. You don’t go 7 games unbeaten in the championship lacking commitment.

Yesterday we could have been 3 up in Ht. Corner and Famara, very good save from their keeper. Pato header at the keeper, should have placed the ball anywhere else on the goal. Hunts brilliant pass to Odowda, he was standing only looking. We  were creating chances yesterday and thats important, soner or later we score. Ok yesterday they were down to 9 but we scored late. We are now unbeaten in 7 games, we have not played so good but the points are coming in. Last season when we had the bad run, people said, LJ out. Now we have a good run and people say the same thing, he he. For me princips go before persons. COYR!!!

16 hours ago, no_merde said:

I’ve been such a supporter of the Johnsons in general and think without them we’d be out of the league by now....

.....you think that without the Johnsons we’d be a non-league club by now?! I’m sure another manager would have been able to save us from that fate....they ain’t the messiahs....

25 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Yesterday we could have been 3 up in Ht. Corner and Famara, very good save from their keeper. Pato header at the keeper, should have placed the ball anywhere else on the goal. Hunts brilliant pass to Odowda, he was standing only looking. We  were creating chances yesterday and thats important, soner or later we score. Ok yesterday they were down to 9 but we scored late. We are now unbeaten in 7 games, we have not played so good but the points are coming in. Last season when we had the bad run, people said, LJ out. Now we have a good run and people say the same thing, he he. For me princips go before persons. COYR!!!

Ignoring the fact Rotherham had as many chances 11 v11? LJ got very lucky and not for the first time.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Ignoring the fact Rotherham had as many chances 11 v11? LJ got very lucky and not for the first time.

I dont ignore the other teams chances. Brentford should have score more at the gate. Birmingham hit the post when we won there and so on. Think Rotherham were dangerous before the red cards. Their second red thik the ref got it wrong, there we had luck. To win in this leauge you have to have luck on your side. On the other side, how many times have we hit the post or crossbar? Anyway, nice with a win at home.

6 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

I dont ignore the other teams chances. Brentford should have score more at the gate. Birmingham hit the post when we won there and so on. Think Rotherham were dangerous before the red cards. Their second red thik the ref got it wrong, there we had luck. To win in this leauge you have to have luck on your side. On the other side, how many times have we hit the post or crossbar? Anyway, nice with a win at home.

Make a two-footed tackle from behind and mistime it to make contact with your opponent's calf muscles and you are always going to be sent off these days. Wasn't always the case, but is now.

Did you notice, the guy then hardly protested. Compare it to the first sending off, when their captain dashed over to plead the case. 

in fact, I think had the second sending off not have been given, the almost identical sliding two-footer that brought Brownhill down about 10 minutes later might've been a red. Refs don't really like to make a name for themselves by reducing a team to 8 men.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Make a two-footed tackle from behind and mistime it to make contact with your opponent's calf muscles and you are always going to be sent off these days. Wasn't always the case, but is now.

Did you notice, the guy then hardly protested. Compare it to the first sending off, when their captain dashed over to plead the case. 

in fact, I think had the second sending off not have been given, the almost identical sliding two-footer that brought Brownhill down about 10 minutes later might've been a red. Refs don't really like to make a name for themselves by reducing a team to 8 men.

Ok, now looked at it again. The second red was nothing to say about. But the first red when both players go to ground and then a red card, think the ref did wrong.

53 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Ok, now looked at it again. The second red was nothing to say about. But the first red when both players go to ground and then a red card, think the ref did wrong.

I think on the first, GS, it was the fact he took out two people who were the last man through, that got him two yellows. Two professional fouls. Difficult to see it as anything  other than two cards.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Luck evens out over a season but I certainly think we got away with it yesterday and, had Rotherham managed to keep 11 players on the pitch, would have won the game.

Immediately prior to the first sending off Rotherham had a couple of attacks where they had players swarming into our penalty area and definitely IMO looked the stronger team and more likely to win. At that time, out of curiosity, I looked at the match stats, which showed they had had 14 shots to our 11, and 8 corners to our 6.

Like @Garland-sweden I'm not convinced about the second yellow for the first sending off, so I definitely think luck was on our side yesterday.

27 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Luck evens out over a season but I certainly think we got away with it yesterday and, had Rotherham managed to keep 11 players on the pitch, would have won the game.

Immediately prior to the first sending off Rotherham had a couple of attacks where they had players swarming into our penalty area and definitely IMO looked the stronger team and more likely to win. At that time, out of curiosity, I looked at the match stats, which showed they had had 14 shots to our 11, and 8 corners to our 6.

Like @Garland-sweden I'm not convinced about the second yellow for the first sending off, so I definitely think luck was on our side yesterday.

It certainly wasn’t a game for much of the opening 75 minutes that you felt “we are so on top, it’s only a matter of time”.  It was quite even.  Rotherham created territory from long throws and then created off the back of that territory.  

Our 2xCBs got in a couple of vital blocks yesterday.

The xG confirms your view.

5B47E39A-45B0-4247-B61F-AD1C9321D362.png

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It certainly wasn’t a game for much of the opening 75 minutes that you felt “we are so on top, it’s only a matter of time”.  It was quite even.  Rotherham created territory from long throws and then created off the back of that territory.  

Our 2xCBs got in a couple of vital blocks yesterday.

The xG confirms your view.

5B47E39A-45B0-4247-B61F-AD1C9321D362.png

Cheers Dave - I don't really know how those Expected Goals statistics are calculated, if you could enlighten me!

54 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Cheers Dave - I don't really know how those Expected Goals statistics are calculated, if you could enlighten me!

It’s based on historical data of goals from chances, e.g. a shot from 6 yards is more likely than a header from 6 yards. A penalty is about a 0.8 (80%) chance. Even what we call gilt-edged chances are rarely above 0.4. 

22 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We are hard to beat (Johnson must stay). And hard to watch (Johnson got go). 

It's like we got Mick McCarthy with inexplicable verbal incontinence.

that is where I keep pinching myself and thinking of Ipswich plight. they were a boring midtable team,went for more excitement and look at them now

11 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

that is where I keep pinching myself and thinking of Ipswich plight. they were a boring midtable team,went for more excitement and look at them now

The main problem with Ipswich is they took a punt on a lower league manager who signed a shed load of lower league players and are paying the price for that.

On 30/12/2018 at 05:32, Super said:

Its painfully slow and predictable. Said in the other thread 11 v 10 we dont win that game. 

Having now watched it twice - if it was 11 v 11 we would probably have lost.

1-0 at home against a 9 player team who haven't won away in the league for 2 years and only scored 8 goals away all year isn't something to brag about.

First 20 mins were exciting, but after that the whole structure seemed to evaporate and play became aimless.

Too many times we (Pato a lot) tried to walk the ball into the net.

We scored, yes, but Rotherham fought with great pride and passion, and I would not have begrudged them a point.

They just ran out of legs.

11 v 11 we don't win that game.

2p

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Not wholly sure Rotherham would have won without the red cards, but they could conceivably have got a point definitely- had some dangerous breakaways I thought and at 11 v 11 we never felt in total control or anything like that.

We have hit the woodwork 14-15 times this season though- cannot overlook that!

Archived