IGNORED

Liverpool

Maesknoll Red

think these penalties raise the question - what is a penalty, 

1, where a player feels slight impact from an opposition so feels entitled to hit the deck

2, where impact against the player is such that it puts him off / knocks him out of his stride 

3, impact causes him to go to ground

for me option 1 above should not be  a penalty or a foul anywhere on the pitch, and the nonsense spouted by pundits that he is entitled to go down is just ruining football. 

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

think these penalties raise the question - what is a penalty, 

1, where a player feels slight impact from an opposition so feels entitled to hit the deck

2, where impact against the player is such that it puts him off / knocks him out of his stride 

3, impact causes him to go to ground

for me option 1 above should not be  a penalty or a foul anywhere on the pitch, and the nonsense spouted by pundits that he is entitled to go down is just ruining football. 

With a player like Salah, one of the factors is the pace with which he surges into the penalty area. Going at such a speed it doesn't take much contact  to knock him off his stride and to go over. There is also the factor that top, top players like him ( and many others in fairness) know that they have a good change of getting penalty decisions with relatively minimal contact, so will " go down" relatively easily as a result. 

There are any number of incidents when strikers have been clearly fouled in the penalty area, but because they have tried to stay on their feet, referees have given nothing. Against this background,  I can understand that many players will feel that they have to go down under a challenge for referees to award a penalty. 

I also wonder whether referees are aware of the threat Salah presents to defences, and are almost anticipating that challenges against him in the penalty area will be potential penalty decisions. Ive always thought much the same with Sterling, as the same issues apply equally to him.

The correct application of VAR will be an interesting watershed. It should quickly identify players who go down too easily and if they are diving then referees should be handing cards out readily and 2 offences getting red cards will surely see a change in players' attitudes. By the same token, it might also enable fouls to be properly identified, even when the foulee doesn;t go down like a dying swan, to give the ref a big clue.

31 minutes ago, Super said:

Think of all the soft pens given at Old Trafford over the years.

...and all that Fergie time!

Mind you at Carrow Road they no seem to have their equivalent - Delia time!

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

...and all that Fergie time!

Mind you at Carrow Road they no seem to have their equivalent - Delia time!

Just been reading Delia’s latest Cooking Tactics book.

Everything is:-

Put it on a low temperature for 80 minutes and then turn up to full heat for the last 10

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just been reading Delia’s latest Cooking Tactics book.

Everything is:-

Put it on a low temperature for 80 minutes and then turn up to full heat for the last 10

LJ's Cooking Tactics Book:

Mix 11 ingredients ( it helps if you use different ingredients each time you make the same dish)and put on a low heat for 70 minutes and only then realise you forgot to put the oven on at kick off then wait a further 10 minutes before picking out 1 0r 2 bland ingredients and replace them with something more spicy.

This is usually guaranteed to leave a sour taste in the mouth and on the palette, despite which you will find people coming back for second helpings a couple of weeks later.

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

LFC fan?

Yeah, can’t help it.

The first game on tv I saw was Liverpool v BMG in the 1977 European Cup Final.

First live match was City v Liverpool 1978 - 1-0 Royle

You’ve gotta follow your local team, but I support Liverpool too.  Always want City to beat Liverpool when they meet though.

Oh yeah, and I was a glory hunter in the mid-late 70s, early 80s.....forgot that ?

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Liverpool are one of favourite PL team along with Arsenal but when they played at Anfield yesterday I found myself cheering when Liverpool equalised.....and carried on celebrating as they scored another 4 goals....

Yesterday must have been  great day for you RR.

City and 'pool win, and I bet  you  cracked open the champers in the minibus on the way back from Oxford earlier in the day!
:) 

16 hours ago, TomF said:

One of our clients up in Liverpool in work who I’ve known for 10 years said to me it’s all about the league for him - simply because they’ve never won it since it became the Premier League.  Not sure if they blow it from here if it’ll be worse than that season under Rodgers. They certainly have a far better team than them - scary when you think the likes of Firminio are only 22.

Just asked him again. He's all for the league now after the run of games since I spoke to him before Christmas. 

20 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Must say Liverpool well and truly thrashed Arsenal. Not even any doubt about it, the better team won and were the better team by quite some distance.

What a season it's shaping up to be! Personally can't stand Guardiola's cockiness, and equally can't stand De Bruyne for the same reason at times, so glad to see him having to work for it this season. 

Liverpool are an unstppable force at present, and all power to them...................but they did play against an almost totally reserve Arsenal back line.  Emery will instigate big changes once he is given time to root out the remnants of Wengers defence, and Arsenal will be a different proposition next season.  Great atteck, ok midfield, appalling defence.

On 29/12/2018 at 19:26, Maesknoll Red said:

Different gravy!

Now, I must profess to having held a dislike for Liverpool for many years, when I was at school they were in their pomp and they had plenty of ‘plastics’ back then who only ever saw them on MOTD.  We had those hessian type rucksacks that the flap was painted and many of the Bristolian kids who had never been north of the M4 had Liverpool adorning their bags, when some of us remained resolutely City.

I guess it is similar to those who have grown a dislike of Man U over the period Fergie led them to dominate, but even then, it was Liverpool that were my ‘other’ team to enjoy seeing their failure to regain their glory days.

Not sure I can easily renounce those years of enjoying them suffer, but Jurgen Klopp, what a character, football needs characters BTW, what a Manager, he has them playing football that is a delight to watch, not sure how I will feel if they carry this through to win the league, gutted on one hand, but pleased for Klopp on the other, as he comes across well and has put together a great team.

I remember them well and cringe to think that, painted on mine, as a smug, smartass teenager was:

GIRLS WANTED. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED!

Oh, how we laughed....

55 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Didn`t they start life as army surplus gas mask containers?

16 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not sure, I think they were just back packs, used to get them in light brown or blue, they came from the army surplus stores at the bottom of Merrywood road/North St.

I bought mine in the army surplus store in Hotwells Road along with those awful white navy trousers.

• Admin
1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I bought mine in the army surplus store in Hotwells Road along with those awful white navy trousers.

Ah, yes they did have them there as well, I wasn’t the white trouser type,  always been Levi’s and T shirts for me, even when I was supposed to wear school uniform, they gave up telling me......

On 29/12/2018 at 18:40, Maesknoll Red said:

Really?  I can recall there was quite a lot of warmth to Man U, the likes of Best, Stiles, Stepney and Law appealed to many fans who watched football, I really only noticed the fact that Liverpool attracted ‘fans’ from around the country, rather than people just appreciating good players, as Man U had at the time.

The Munich disaster surely helped their growth, the legend also.

On Liverpool- they do look great- started with a solid base and now seem to be playing like last season while still maintaining the defensive stability.

I think they would be many neutrals preference/choice this year.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, can’t help it.

The first game on tv I saw was Liverpool v BMG in the 1977 European Cup Final.

First live match was City v Liverpool 1978 - 1-0 Royle

You’ve gotta follow your local team, but I support Liverpool too.  Always want City to beat Liverpool when they meet though.

Oh yeah, and I was a glory hunter in the mid-late 70s, early 80s.....forgot that ?

Fair enough, I personally struggle with the idea of truly being a 'fan' of more than one club, however, I do follow results of certain teams I have a soft spot for.

One of those is West Ham, because my brother tried to trick me into supporting them as a child, telling me I had to because I come from the West, and I eat ham.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Munich disaster surely helped their growth, the legend also.

On Liverpool- they do look great- started with a solid base and now seem to be playing like last season while still maintaining the defensive stability.

I think they would be many neutrals preference/choice this year.

Think you right about the Munich disaster.

Public sympathy over the loss of so many of the Busby babes seemed to make them everyone's second team. With Busby himself surviving, and having such a massive presence in the game, that continued into the 60s, when it seemed the whole nation was willing them to win the European Cup with the likes of Charlton, Best, Law etc.

Equally importantly, I think the press and media have had a Man U love in since the time of Munich. With the advent of the premier league, and the ramped up media attention as the game grew ever bigger, it could not have fallen better for the sycophantic media that Fergie's team, with the class of '92 mirroring the Busby babes, dominated. On the back of this, it was hardly surprising that the combination of the game's higher profile, media obsession and the club's massive success saw their "plastic" support grow ever stronger.

When Liverpool started to become successful they had an equally massive presence at the helm - Shankly. However, I think they were seen as  a more pragmatic club/team, but while Liverpool went on to their own huge success, Man U were seen as the flamboyant, flair team always falling short, and with the Brit's love for plucky losers, it only seemed to enhance Man U's status, while it seemed that many resented Liverpool's success.

The sad fact is that when we got to the top flight back in the 70s,  we could go toe to toe with both clubs, and compete. The sad fact is that these days both clubs are light years from where we could ever hope to be, as that "plastic'` support, which is now world wide, has given them both financial power that we can never hope to get near.

Archived