IGNORED

Ratings v Rotherham

Davefevs

What a strange game.  Having previewed a Rotherham side who played 442, they played 451 (4141/4411) but played on the front foot where they could, which is a different approach to their normal style.

We played some nice stuff at times.  I was pleased to see Adelakun not sat wide left, but rotating inside, sometimes as the striker.  It’s what I’ve been asking for.  Ian G on BBCRB moaned that “our widemen come inside too much”, and then contradicted himself with “allowing space for our full-backs”.  That’s the effin’ point. How often did Hunt and Dasilva get into good positions and apart from either not getting someone on the end of good crosses or occasional poor delivery they were good outlets today, and movement inside helped us gave another option.

Maenpaa - 6 - pretty safe, secure, did what he had to with the odd shot, flapped at one cross second half trying to catch it, when he would normally punch.  His kicking was a bit “floaty” today and all 4 Rotherham defenders are more than decent in the air

Hunt - 7 - rotated for Pisano and played like he knew only a decent performance would count.  Got one lovely cross in on the half-volley that just evaded O’Dowda, and got put in, but despite a lovely first touch, then another and another couldn’t get the ball into a shooting position and tee’d up Paterson for a weak header.  Second half, always the option out side, and ultimately his cross for Webster for the goal.  Much more like the Hunt I thought we’d signed.

Dasilva - 7 - tough opening 10 minutes but after that acquitted himself well, quick feet and not afraid to take a ball, open his body and play a first time pass.  Linked well with Adelakun that bodes well, and got a succession of crosses or corners from blocked crosses.  Didn’t see the red card, 

Kalas - 8 - not been as rose-tinted about his performances overall, but today I thought he was top-drawer, both defensively and in their box where he almost got a goal.  He handled Smith well when he ventured onto his side.  The best I've seen him.

Webster - 7 - had a tough afternoon v Smith, and their threat was down our inside left,  which was the channel Smith operated in.  Their RW forced a very good save late in first half from a Smith flick.  Good solid header for the goal (not Weimann - Ian G!!), and passes with pace and purpose with good angles to help the tempo of our attacks.  Hopefully his goal will lead to more.  He still had a good game, just not as good as Kalas today.

O’Dowda - 4 - watched him a lot today.  Wanted him to start left, but Adelakun did.  He did very little today.  Despite his height won no headers, just doesn’t know how to use his body.  One good corner for Diedhiou header, wasteful with every other set-piece.  Just takes the wrong option too often.  Not convinced by his football intelligence.  I wouldn’t even say Rotherham denied him space today, so just cannot be anything other than critical today.  Sorry.

Adelakun - 7 - gave a performance that should give us a lot of encouragement.  Shows good strength back to goal, and has the beauty of two feet, enabling him to go either way.  Liked how he drifted into the centre, to create space for Dasilva, and happy to spray passes too.  Early days, but he has something....can we see it consistently?

Pack - 4 - frustrated the hell out of me at times today.  The number of times he back-pedalled into Smith and Webster from Rodak’s kicks, when he should’ve let Webster deal with it, did my head in (those in the LS May have heard me shouting!), it meant he then was not in contact with the Rotherham midfield for dropping balls.  No-one running in behind Webster, just anticipate where the ball drops.  The other bit is his coasting in the “Packenbauer” role....andcstaying there as we advanced into their half, leaving us one less in midfield.  He needs to work harder to get up the pitch and take everyone with him.  Too often in the first half we had 2 CBs and Pack marking Smith or sometimes space.  He doesn’t need to commit himself, but he isn’t helping options later in the attack.  Even second half there are too many soft passes, unlike Webster who puts pace on the ball.  I accept Pack’s screen role but once we have the ball, his role in the team becomes a constraint in terms of options for our forward players.  This is not the Pack of 17/18.  The challenge for LJ is would we miss Pack if we played someone else in there?

Brownhill - 7 - thought he had a good game today, got in the ball in good positions, didn’t run for the sake of it.  Thought he drove us on today and some good angled passes to open up Rotherham on the inside.

Paterson - 6 - nice type of Paterson performance, good bits, weak bits and then the effin’ frustrating greedy bits.  Overall I think he did ok, and in some ways suffered from Fam having a poor game.

Diedhiou - 5 - very poor first half.  At least during that period he realised it was pointless standing up against Ajayi, and moved over to Robertson, who he then proceeded to lose out to also.  He was better second half and drew the foul from Jones with a great touch to get him his second yellow, but still hadn’t worked out that you get chances if you attack the near post.  Too many balls flashed into that area with no-one there....it should be Fam’s primary run....drag the CB far and then dart near.  Upgraded to a 6 for his work in our own box

Subs:

Taylor - didn’t really do enough to give a rating

Eliasson - not on long enough to rate, but some excellent crosses.

Weimann - just needed that half-volley to go in.

LJ - “I was brave to pick a small side today” - I'm not sure it was much shorter than Boxing Day, but whenever you play Dasilva, you can say that!  I thought both full-backs gave us good attacking options today, so well done...Pisano and Kelly rested for Stoke makes sense.  Adelakun - a mystery selection over Eliasson imho, why hasn’t he featured of late...you could ask that of both HA and NE in fairness.  As wide-men, I might prefer both over COD.  I know that won’t be a popular thought.

Overall we thoroughly deserved the win....but I can’t be alone in thinking at 0-0 and 9 men, whenever they got a long throw-in, Sod’s law says they’ll get one and it’ll turn toxic.  It didn’t.  We are 7 unbeaten (fact), 13 points from those 7 games (or 13 from 11 if you wanna add the bad run onto it).  We are 11th, still 7 points off the play-offs, and I think it’ll take a fantastic run to overhaul any of them.

edit:

just wanted to add....

Ajayi is a fine player. 

Vaulks was dismissed on here as a potential signing a while back.  On current form this season I’d happily swap him for Pack....and I've been a big Pack fan.  I think our tactics stifle Marlon.

With all the 7s and 8s you're dishing out, I think 5 for Diedhiou is harsh. He was as good defensively as you'd want any striker to be, and worked his socks off all over the pitch. He had a great header in the first half (very much like the winner at Birmingham) that almost came off, and his strength in the box created several half chances second half. 

Othewise though I'd agree with all you say. However, Hunt and Dasilva both get their scores from an attcaking perspective, and they still worry me as our full backs. Last time they both played was at Reading, when the two centre backs were left so exposed that we conceded three to a poor side, and at one stage I feared the same today.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

With all the 7s and 8s you're dishing out, I think 5 for Diedhiou is harsh. He was as good defensively as you'd want any striker to be, and worked his socks off all over the pitch. He had a great header in the first half (very much like the winner at Birmingham) that almost came off, and his strength in the box created several half chances second half. 

Othewise though I'd agree with all you say. However, Hunt and Dasilva both get their scores from an attcaking perspective, and they still worry me as our full backs. Last time they both played was at Reading, when the two centre backs were left so exposed that we conceded three to a poor side, and at one stage I feared the same today.

Fair comment....he was 4 first half, 7 second, and I didn’t think justified a 6....but you’re right, was good in our own box, and i’m Happy to upgrade him to a 6.

i only gave 1x8!

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

This diedhou has a good game helping us defend corners...5 is ridiculous...also got jones sent off with a nice bit of play

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not sure why the OP thinks the comments on O’Dowda would be so unpopular? Spot on in my view and I did a double take when Adelakun went off instead!! Lack of match fitness maybe (which is correct on Johnson’s part if that was the reason) but he contributed far more than O’Dowda imo.

O’dowda is shit

Know what? I’d agree with that although I might have knocked Paterson back and I’m not certain I’d score Kallas that high either. So perhaps I don’t agree! ?

What I can’t get my head round though is if I do agree with those ratings - and largely I do - why I spent so much time with my head in my hands and thinking we were lucky.

15 minutes to go and against 9 men and I come away thinking we were very lucky. As was Johnson. No wonder he was punching the air.

Saved from 15 minutes away from being hoofed out the door.....

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not sure why the OP thinks the comments on O’Dowda would be so unpopular? Spot on in my view and I did a double take when Adelakun went off instead!! Lack of match fitness maybe (which is correct on Johnson’s part if that was the reason) but he contributed far more than O’Dowda imo.

There is a swell on here that really rate O’Dowda.  I’m waiting to see it, we’ll, at least consistently.

He gotva stay of execution, the number 11 was up for Eliasson, then changed to Dasilva.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pack - 4 - frustrated the hell out of me at times today.  The number of times he back-pedalled into Smith and Webster from Rodak’s kicks, when he should’ve let Webster deal with it, did my head in (those in the LS May have heard me shouting!), it meant he then was not in contact with the Rotherham midfield for dropping balls.  No-one running in behind Webster, just anticipate where the ball drops.  The other bit is his coasting in the “Packenbauer” role....andcstaying there as we advanced into their half, leaving us one less in midfield.  He needs to work harder to get up the pitch and take everyone with him.  Too often in the first half we had 2 CBs and Pack marking Smith or sometimes space.  He doesn’t need to commit himself, but he isn’t helping options later in the attack.  Even second half there are too many soft passes, unlike Webster who puts pace on the ball.  I accept Pack’s screen role but once we have the ball, his role in the team becomes a constraint in terms of options for our forward players.  This is not the Pack of 17/18.  The challenge for LJ is would we miss Pack if we played someone else in there?

I can agree with just about all of your ratings, especially COD - his decision making is awful, holding onto the ball when a quick pass is on, or running into blind alleys. I felt he held up our play today and didn't really look a team player. It's a shame because he's had a couple of really good games recently. All about consistency I suppose.

But I think you are a bit harsh on Pack who played some lovely long passes out wide and was constantly trying to push the team forward. I agree that he tries to take on too much by retreating for the ball and getting involved at the back but it's something that can be put right. All about opinions and I value yours but I think Pack did ok today..

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

This diedhou has a good game helping us defend corners...5 is ridiculous...also got jones sent off with a nice bit of play

O’dowda is shit

That’s fine Re Diedhiou.  I’ve raised him to a 6, but as our striker, his forward play was awful in the first half.  I did mention the Jones red card above.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

There is a swell on here that really rate O’Dowda.  I’m waiting to see it, we’ll, at least consistently.

He gotva stay of execution, the number 11 was up for Eliasson, then changed to Dasilva.

Well I see it how you do in that O’Dowda gives us glimpse of what he is capable of but it is just that.......the odd glimpse.

Whilst you were watching O’Dowda I had a good look at Adelakun......yeah, he’s a bit raw atm, no doubt about it, but this two footed thing he’s got going for him will be a big bonus for us when he gets up to speed. What way does the full back show him?

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

But I think you are a bit harsh on Pack who played some lovely long passes out wide and was constantly trying to push the team forward. I agree that he tries to take on too much by retreating for the ball and getting involved at the back but it's something that can be put right. All about opinions and I value yours but I think Pack did ok today..

He did my head in today, and I probably got blinkered over the two points I made in my OP.  The beauty of opinions.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of comments on here about how poor O’Dowda was (justified) but as usual the hopeless Pack comes away unscathed 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t. Too lightweight and like Paterson sadly either not good enough at this level or not good enough to do the job that’s needed of him/them on a consistent basis.

Sat right behind the goal in the first half that was sadly all too evident. Superb ball in from the right - was it Hunt?

What did O’Dowda do? Well he didn’t launch himself at the ball that’s for sure......

3 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I don’t. Too lightweight and like Paterson sadly either not good enough at this level or not good enough to do the job that’s needed of him/them on a consistent basis.

Sat right behind the goal in the first half that was sadly all too evident. Superb ball in from the right - was it Hunt?

What did O’Dowda do? Well he didn’t launch himself at the ball that’s for sure......

What a cross that was.....criminal that the ball didn’t end up in the onion bag from that. Thought Hunt was decent today.

Pretty much how I saw the game @Davefevs. It was nice to see Adelekun grow in confidence as the game went on and there were certainly more positives than negatives for him. I hope he tries those mazy runs into the box though, he`ll get taken down for sure.

I was surprised with how much space Rotherham gave us too - I can only think they hoped they might nick an early goal and then shut up shop and we would struggle to break them down as we normally do with teams like that.

I came out thinking I`d seen a decent game, plenty of goalmouth action and a couple of sendings off and enjoyed today a lot more than Brentford.

COD frustrates me because he doesn’t mix up his game either. Always comes short never tries a different run. 

Adelakun I really enjoyed. He needs more minutes and time to get used to the league but how nice was it to have a physical yet athletic wing player? When he has his back to goal and gets that ball to feet it is like there wasn’t a defender behind him. Like you said he got up with Fam but looks much more comfortable with his back to goal. Would like to see him and Eliasson play with both able to cut inside but both can get to the byline and try crosses with their weak foot. 

Maenpaa 6 thought he did well in goal. He missed one or two but think against Rotherham you have to make up your mind early and commit. Kicking let him down for me today. Left quite a few short and too lofted

Hunt 7 closer to 8 than 7 but done what he was in the team for. Good work rate up the wing and got good crosses in

Kalas 8 thought he was the physical presence today which think he needs to be did nothing wrong

Webster 7 thought he did an admirable job against Smith and was brilliant on the ball as always. Wish Pack would get out of his way when on the ball because imo Webster far better vision and passing range

Dasilva 7 closer to 7 than 8. Had some dodgy defensive moments but a first start in over a month. Would like a few more ideas when in final third

Adelakun 7 good 60 minutes today. Gave Rotherham lots to think about. Took balls and went left at times, went right at times, stayed wide sometimes came inside. Tried getting some crosses in had a shot. Like his physicality too. For me has the look of our best winger. Needs more minutes and time though

Brownhill 8 don’t have man of match but Brownhill would be in contention. He links play, he has the vision, showed a good range of passes and had some good shots. Always works hard and quality on the ball rarely losing it. Him, Webster, Maenpaa and Kalas been class all season for me

Pack 6 Just not energetic enough for me. Don’t think where he is playing suits him. Too slow, doesn’t have the vision for me. For what we have in midfield he has to play but could be upgraded for me

COD 6 was not as bad for me as some but he is frustrating. Does not mix his runs just comes short and runs with his head down. Doesn’t have a shot and not a great crosser. Was a believer in him but either has no confidence or just has not grown since his move here

Paterson 6 maybe 7 hard for me to grade him anymore because he is playing better than he was but is it good enough to keep starting? Who else do we have? 

Diedhiou 5 my 11 year old american son who sees two games a year(comes over every christmas) looks at me about 60 minutes in and say Diedhiou doesn’t win any headers. Granted tough ask today but he does not fight enough in the air or on the ground. Knew it would be a long day when seconds in he was on the ground looking at the ref. Been here long enough to know he may get that call 10-15% of the time. Just battle and try and win the ball. Didn’t do it today, not trying hard enough to win things in the box. If he had cost 2-3m think he’d get a bit more optimism but our record signing by almost twice the second highest means everyone will expect more. That and we have seen him play better now! Needs to bring it more often 

Think Adelakun showed good things, Hunt was also good. Famara always good in defence. Eliasson can pass thats for sure, maybe he starts next game. Adelakun will bee good for us. Nice we could win, think we should have scored in the first half. Header from Paterson, the ball from Hunt to Odowda, he was just standing looking. Nice to win home, it was a while we did that.

Fevs  you clearly have a downer on O'Dowda and we need to preserver with him as there's a top player in there as shown versus West Brom & Norwich. I know he wasn't the best today but was he really our worst player?? Paterson was dreadful and yet scores a 6 when given the luxury number 10 role and tell me what he actually created??  Weimann played at least 10 games as a passenger yet never seen you so down on him like O'Dowda ! 

Do agree on Pack though as shocking and currently aside from winning the odd header not a lot happening from him & a shadow of last years player.

Adelakun could do with calling the defenders bluff on occasion when being constantly shown the outside, but I guess that depends on how confident he is in delivering a ball left footed. If he can't or won't then he needs to play on the RHS as it's far too predictable to defend against a winger that cuts inside every single time.

Diedhiou suffered again from playing mostly with no-one anywhere near him. I think you have to be a particularly physically imposing and/or intelligent forward to play up front alone and (as much as I rate him) he is neither.

As always on the money particularly on Kalas, COD and Pack. As a COD admirer, he ran out of ideas when he was denied space to run into and his passing  choices were poor.

Kalas was immense and Webster good. Dasilva was very good. How Diedhiou didn't get on the end of one of our crosses is remarkable. Overall there was fight and positivity.

Maenpaa 6 - Didn’t do a lot wrong but not as composed as usual 

Hunt 7 - Solid enough defensively and great cross for the goal, interesting to see who gets the nod at RB next game with Pisano playing well...

Webster 7 - Got caught out of position a couple of times for probably the first time this season. Very solid again on the whole and great to have a defender so capable of carrying the ball out

Kalas 8 - His best performance for a little while, wish we had a chance of signing him permanently!

Da Silva 7- Certainly better than Kelly has been last few games, seems to have great awareness and ability with his first touch to create a bit of space!

Pack 5 - Offered very little again sadly, feel sorry for him a bit as I think he needs a rest or a few sub appearances to try and find form. 

Brownhill 7 - Worked hard, some nice link up play, probably needed to create a few more chances today 

O’Dowda 4 - Offered nothing today 

Adelakun 8- Was really impresses and thought he was our best attackinh player. Surprised he got taken off but he’s probably not fit 

Paterson 5 - Didn’t do much until they went down to 9 men...

Diedhiou 7 - Tough game for him today, felt he did well with limited service, loved seeing him get the crowd going when they went down to 9! Needs to be meaner

Subs-

Taylor 6- Fairly anonymous, worked hard and a few good touches 

Eliasson 7- Needs to be starting! Great delivery and made a real difference 

Weimann 5 - Didn’t do anything apart from miss a chance..

Johnson 9 - I’ve criticised his lack of subs and subs a lot this season, but credit where it was due he made early and attacking subs! Don’t think he had much choice though...

Nice summary @Davefevs.  Here are a few of my observations.

Firstly, and I must be the only person on the forum, but I’m not impressed by Dasilva’s final ball delivery. He knocks in plenty of what, on initial observation, seem to be good crosses but none of them ever go anywhere near a City player. Does he ever look up and consider a different option? 

As for O’Dowda and Adelakun, I’m not a fan of LJ’s tactics of playing a right footed player on the left and a left footed player on the right. I’m sure his logic is that when they cut inside they can shoot with their “best” foot, but why not keep it simple? O’Dowda on the left and Adelakun on the right 

Paterson - I forgot, as usual, that he was playing 

Diedhiou is a mixed bag. For a big chap he has as much upper body strength as Winnie the Pooh, so keeps being easily moved off the ball,  and just keeps begging for a free kick. In his defence he’s not a target man so shouldn’t be used as one. His best role is to play on the shoulder of the last defender and to run onto through balls 

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Nice summary @Davefevs.  Here are a few of my observations.

Firstly, and I must be the only person on the forum, but I’m not impressed by Dasilva’s final ball delivery. He knocks in plenty of what, on initial observation, seem to be good crosses but none of them ever go anywhere near a City player. Does he ever look up and consider a different option? 

As for O’Dowda and Adelakun, I’m not a fan of LJ’s tactics of playing a right footed player on the left and a left footed player on the right. I’m sure his logic is that when they cut inside they can shoot with their “best” foot, but why not keep it simple? O’Dowda on the left and Adelakun on the right 

Paterson - I forgot, as usual, that he was playing 

Diedhiou is a mixed bag. For a big chap he has as much upper body strength as Winnie the Pooh, so keeps being easily moved off the ball,  and just keeps begging for a free kick. In his defence he’s not a target man so shouldn’t be used as one. His best role is to play on the shoulder of the last defender and to run onto through balls 

A fair point, but if I were a striker, I would be hitting the near stick, not waiting for the perfect cross to the back stick.  If you get across your defender you gave a multitude of options, head, flick volley etc to score.  Fam did that v Brum away.  I’d be saying “Jay, just get it to the 6 yard box at any height and I'll be there”.

50 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Maenpaa 6 - Didn’t do a lot wrong but not as composed as usual 

Hunt 7 - Solid enough defensively and great cross for the goal, interesting to see who gets the nod at RB next game with Pisano playing well...

Webster 7 - Got caught out of position a couple of times for probably the first time this season. Very solid again on the whole and great to have a defender so capable of carrying the ball out

Kalas 8 - His best performance for a little while, wish we had a chance of signing him permanently!

Da Silva 7- Certainly better than Kelly has been last few games, seems to have great awareness and ability with his first touch to create a bit of space!

Pack 5 - Offered very little again sadly, feel sorry for him a bit as I think he needs a rest or a few sub appearances to try and find form. 

Brownhill 7 - Worked hard, some nice link up play, probably needed to create a few more chances today 

O’Dowda 4 - Offered nothing today 

Adelakun 8- Was really impresses and thought he was our best attackinh player. Surprised he got taken off but he’s probably not fit 

Paterson 5 - Didn’t do much until they went down to 9 men...

Diedhiou 7 - Tough game for him today, felt he did well with limited service, loved seeing him get the crowd going when they went down to 9! Needs to be meaner

Subs-

Taylor 6- Fairly anonymous, worked hard and a few good touches 

Eliasson 7- Needs to be starting! Great delivery and made a real difference 

Weimann 5 - Didn’t do anything apart from miss a chance..

Johnson 9 - I’ve criticised his lack of subs and subs a lot this season, but credit where it was due he made early and attacking subs! Don’t think he had much choice though...

I agree with most of your post and I'm loathe to criticise anyone after the last 7 games, but I thought- well it's why I'm no manager but a fan posting on a forum :laughcont: however I did think he was a bit slow to make the attacking subs if I'm being a  bit picky. Surely when basically down to '10' he should have made it- perhaps stick Eliasson on as soon as first Rotherham red card. It's fine but for future reference more so etc.

Red card 1 in the 64th minute. Red card 2 after 72.

He makes the attacking changes i.e. Eliasson and Weimann in the 77th and 79th minute, just felt a little overcautious given Rotherham down to 10 and we were the side at home, expected to win.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I'm a fan, I like him in the side as he offers something no one else does. He'll run at defences, but like a lot of our problems the lack of movement across the front line means he has to teach for options. Not great today, I didn't think many were , but worth more than 4.
Thought you were harsh on Fam and Maenpaa too.
Not sure what you saw in Adelukan , didn't do much for me. I would have swapped Eliasson for him earlier on.
The subs were strange again, throw men on regardless. Not a lot of thought how they'd fit in, and why play wide and try and get crosses in against the biggest defence I've seen ?  One man up front again , so Fam Vs a couple of monsters made little sense. I'm not a fan of Taylor but today was just made for his busy running.

Have to say Their CF (Smith?) was a handful. Good touch and decent movement, I loved watching him pull off of Webster onto DaSilva, mismatch or what.
I must be over critical , as I saw The Exiled Robin saying "not great but more intent and goal threat" and OSIB saying decent performance. For my money 11v11 they created the better chances , 11v10 not much in it and 11v9 it was more desperation making our chances.  

Spot on with 4 for COD and pack....COD should be ashamed of himself for not bothering to go for the header from hunts cross,his set pieces were wasteful all game too.although I was talking to city fans before the game who reckon he is our best player and been given a raw deal by johnson!

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree with most of your post and I'm loathe to criticise anyone after the last 7 games, but I thought- well it's why I'm no manager but a fan posting on a forum :laughcont: however I did think he was a bit slow to make the attacking subs if I'm being a  bit picky. Surely when basically down to '10' he should have made it- perhaps stick Eliasson on as soon as first Rotherham red card. It's fine but for future reference more so etc.

Red card 1 in the 64th minute. Red card 2 after 72.

He makes the attacking changes i.e. Eliasson and Weimann in the 77th and 79th minute, just felt a little overcautious given Rotherham down to 10 and we were the side at home, expected to win.

I agree and disagree, before the second red card he was about to bring Kelly on having already bought on Taylor early. With the second red card he told Kelly to warm up again and had a long discussion before bringing Eliasson on.

I agree with you, I would’ve bought Eliasson on straight after the second red (probably before actually) but I think he deserves credit today for adapting which he hasn’t done enough 

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

I agree and disagree, before the second red card he was about to bring Kelly on having already bought on Taylor early. With the second red card he told Kelly to warm up again and had a long discussion before bringing Eliasson on.

I agree with you, I would’ve bought Eliasson on straight after the second red (probably before actually) but I think he deserves credit today for adapting which he hasn’t done enough 

Agree with that mostly. My personal preference would have been a way to get Eliasson and O'Dowda on the pitch as soon as Rotherham went down to 10, but yeah he adapted as you say which is a positive.

I thought Brownhill was MOTM today and deserved a goal. I love the way his shots are always such piledrivers, even if the keeper gets behind them they are often spilled. When he hit the crossbar, I thought he was going to break the goal!

Other than that my main comment is to disagree with the OP about O'Dowda who I thought had a decent though unspectacular game today and made some decent inroads.  Adelukan was reasonable, and a bit unlucky to be the first man subbed. I'd heard half-hearted reviews of him from his earlier appearance so was relieved to see a much better player than I'd expected.

Pack wasn't great, but he was much improved from his dire game on Boxing Day and played a few lovely defence splitting forward balls.

Hunt IMO was the weakest link. Until he supplied the cross for Webster, not much went right for Jack.

Archived