IGNORED

Ratings v Rotherham

Davefevs

wow, a few people not wanting to give Pack a 6, 7 or 8. Did anyone watch the first 30 mins and still think he didnt deliver some amazing passes (maybe it's just what we expect from him now?)

I heard so much nonsense on radio bristol (hang you heads, Gay and Tovey) that it must be panto season on all media this week. If we had Walsh or Smith fit to play would either of them or Pack, further forward, be our creative midfielder? Thoughts?

Stoke will be a good test and i am looking forward to our counter-attacking line-ups - similar to Derby and Birmingham.

11 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

wow, a few people not wanting to give Pack a 6, 7 or 8. Did anyone watch the first 30 mins and still think he didnt deliver some amazing passes (maybe it's just what we expect from him now?)

I heard so much nonsense on radio bristol (hang you heads, Gay and Tovey) that it must be panto season on all media this week. If we had Walsh or Smith fit to play would either of them or Pack, further forward, be our creative midfielder? Thoughts?

Stoke will be a good test and i am looking forward to our counter-attacking line-ups - similar to Derby and Birmingham.

On Korey's return - or if we bring in a solid central midfielder next month - I'd like to see Brownhill given a more advanced role just behind a front two. He's more attack-minded than Marlon in my book.

25 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Definitely would go 4-3-3 if Smith or Walsh were fit- Pack further forward maybe- actually Hegeler had he been fit and consistent between the defence and midfield in the first '1' might have helped free up Pack but we'll never know now. Because not only does a central 3 give Pack more license, it also protects him- gives the opposition less scope to crowd and press him, which in turn gives him a bit more time/space and if you give a player like Pack even a bit more time/space then they can impact the game creatively and higher up which helps the whole side.

For varying reasons, Stoke, Nottingham Forest and Middlesborough away- but especially the first and last of those 3- could well give us some joy for the reasons you state. Those 2 are fairly counter-attacking sides, reactive sides- Nottngham Forest somewhere in the middle as Karanka can be prone to caution but his sides alright technically too. However if we play the type of counter-attacking football as at Derby and Birmingham we surely have a decent chance tactically at minimum.

58 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Brownhill was MOTM today and deserved a goal.

He was close to getting it from me too....

I love the way his shots are always such piledrivers, even if the keeper gets behind them they are often spilled. When he hit the crossbar, I thought he was going to break the goal!

....and had I not forgot the above he might’ve shaded it ? (I don’t make any notes, it’s all memory i’m afraid!)

Other than that my main comment is to disagree with the OP about O'Dowda who I thought had a decent though unspectacular game today and made some decent inroads.  Adelukan was reasonable, and a bit unlucky to be the first man subbed. I'd heard half-hearted reviews of him from his earlier appearance so was relieved to see a much better player than I'd expected.

Pack wasn't great, but he was much improved from his dire game on Boxing Day and played a few lovely defence splitting forward balls.

Hunt IMO was the weakest link. Until he supplied the cross for Webster, not much went right for Jack.

48 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Ian had a mare this evening....2/10....has an agenda.  Mark speaks as he sees it, so can’t give him stick even if he sees a different game to me sometimes.

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

On Korey's return - or if we bring in a solid central midfielder next month - I'd like to see Brownhill given a more advanced role just behind a front two. He's more attack-minded than Marlon in my book.

My only concern with Josh in Pato’s slot is that he’d have to play facing the wrong way (back to goal), and I think he’s at his best driving forward.  Rather he was the secondary runner.

6 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

The perfect summation of otib.

(Ps disagree re Pack, some excellent observations notwithstanding)

That’s football....as I said I might’ve been over-critical because he did things today that really pissed me off, so I ignored anything positive he did (might’ve done!!) ?

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Diedhiou 5 my 11 year old american son who sees two games a year(comes over every christmas) looks at me about 60 minutes in and say Diedhiou doesn’t win any headers. Granted tough ask today but he does not fight enough in the air or on the ground. Knew it would be a long day when seconds in he was on the ground looking at the ref. Been here long enough to know he may get that call 10-15% of the time. Just battle and try and win the ball. Didn’t do it today, not trying hard enough to win things in the box. If he had cost 2-3m think he’d get a bit more optimism but our record signing by almost twice the second highest means everyone will expect more. That and we have seen him play better now! Needs to bring it more often 

I do disagree with this. I think you have a lot of knowledge based on your previous posts however Diédhiou for me tried and when the 2nd player got sent off for Rotherham he was the one trying to raise the noise in the stadium which spurred the team on, so he’s definitely passionate about us as a club. However like you said it was a hard game for him in terms of the Rotherham players targeting him and constantly fouling him.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Vaulks was dismissed on here as a potential signing a while back.  On current form this season I’d happily swap him for Pack....and I've been a big Pack fan.  I think our tactics stifle Marlon.

Liked Vaulks a lot. Good player. Was sat front of the Dolman today by S82 and he come over to take a throw and was getting dogs abuse, gave the guy a little smile a few seats down to me and said is that all you’ve got. Couldn’t help but laugh then he started pissing himself as well. Love little toss Potts like that (in a good way).

Maenpaa- 7- Made a couple of great saves and commanded the area very well.

Hunt- 8- I thought that was his best game for us. Going forward he was as good as always and put a couple of great crosses in. Defensively though much improved and he made a couple of brilliant tackles.

Kalas- 7- Another solid performance. Comfortable on the ball and some great defending. Hoping we can get this guy permanently in January.

Webster- 7- Another great performance and a fantastic header to win the game. Deserves that goal for his brilliant start for us.

Dasilva- 7- Offered a good option going forward although disappointing delivery. Solid enough defensively.

O’Dowda- 6- Not his best game but not his worse. Delivery was poor however very direct going forward.

Pack- 6- Slight improvement from Boxing Day. Passing a lot better completing some fantastic passes and passing accuracy better. 

Brownhill- 9- Man of the match. Simply superb. Drove the ball forward and created some brilliant chances and was very confident on the ball. Unlucky one of his long shots didn’t go in.

Adelakun- 7- Massive improvement from Ipswich. Now running at the defenders with pace and not afraid to have a shot. Overall a good home debut.

Paterson- 6- Solid performance. Unlucky with the shot in injury time saved well by Rodak.

Diedhiou- 6- Isolated. Difficult game for him with Rotherham players constantly fouling him. Chance creation wasn’t the issue however the final ball was poor from others and Diédhiou didn’t have a chance. Great work from defending corners.

Subs

Taylor- 6- Helped get the team forward and worked hard. Not much else though. 

Eliasson- 7- Made a good impact coming on. Ran at the defenders and was one of the only players to put a good ball in there. 

Weimann- n/a- Only on for about 10 minutes so I won’t mark him. Should have scored though.

32 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Liked Vaulks a lot. Good player. Was sat front of the Dolman today by S82 and he come over to take a throw and was getting dogs abuse, gave the guy a little smile a few seats down to me and said is that all you’ve got. Couldn’t help but laugh then he started pissing himself as well. Love little toss Potts like that (in a good way).

I saw that.

39 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Their large center back Ajayi is indeed excellent.

Disagree about Pack, he is the only player who makes things tick.

I feel he makes the right decisions, just slow and predictable about it. Unless he's doing one of his no-look passes! 

37 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Maenpaa- 7- Made a couple of great saves and commanded the area very well.

Hunt- 8- I thought that was his best game for us. Going forward he was as good as always and put a couple of great crosses in. Defensively though much improved and he made a couple of brilliant tackles.

Kalas- 7- Another solid performance. Comfortable on the ball and some great defending. Hoping we can get this guy permanently in January.

Webster- 7- Another great performance and a fantastic header to win the game. Deserves that goal for his brilliant start for us.

Dasilva- 7- Offered a good option going forward although disappointing delivery. Solid enough defensively.

O’Dowda- 6- Not his best game but not his worse. Delivery was poor however very direct going forward.

Pack- 6- Slight improvement from Boxing Day. Passing a lot better completing some fantastic passes and passing accuracy better. 

Brownhill- 9- Man of the match. Simply superb. Drove the ball forward and created some brilliant chances and was very confident on the ball. Unlucky one of his long shots didn’t go in.

Adelakun- 7- Massive improvement from Ipswich. Now running at the defenders with pace and not afraid to have a shot. Overall a good home debut.

Paterson- 6- Solid performance. Unlucky with the shot in injury time saved well by Rodak.

Diedhiou- 6- Isolated. Difficult game for him with Rotherham players constantly fouling him. Chance creation wasn’t the issue however the final ball was poor from others and Diédhiou didn’t have a chance. Great work from defending corners.

Subs

Taylor- 6- Helped get the team forward and worked hard. Not much else though. 

Eliasson- 7- Made a good impact coming on. Ran at the defenders and was one of the only players to put a good ball in there. 

Weimann- n/a- Only on for about 10 minutes so I won’t mark him. Should have scored though.

Right about Brownhill. Totally agree, MotM for City

In fact, I agree with a lot of those marks, if not all of them

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

I do disagree with this. I think you have a lot of knowledge based on your previous posts however Diédhiou for me tried and when the 2nd player got sent off for Rotherham he was the one trying to raise the noise in the stadium which spurred the team on, so he’s definitely passionate about us as a club. However like you said it was a hard game for him in terms of the Rotherham players targeting him and constantly fouling him.

He will always put himself about but I meant more in terms of he doesn’t try and beat a man to get in front of him. He will always try and jump for a cross but often he lines up the jump instead of trying to get in front and maybe just glance a header. He will from time to time outjump someone but feel like our crosses combined with his movement means it will be a goal or two every hundred crosses. Don’t doubt Fam works hard but for me, often misplaced. Did like him trying to get the crowd up for it though! 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hunt IMO was the weakest link. Until he supplied the cross for Webster, not much went right for Jack.

I don't know what game you were watching but yesterday was the first time in ages that I have agreed with the MOTM award at the end of the game. Hunt was solid defensively with some good strong tackles and excellent going forward. Not his fault that O'Dowda is a powderpuff who didn't even try to go for a fantastic cross no more than 2 feet in front of him, and that Paterson's heading ability is similarly pathetic.

Brownhill has definitely developed as an attacking midfielder but that leaves Pack playing in that sweeper/quarterback role and a lot more besides. Occasional fantastic long ball (such as the one for Hunt funnily enough) but a lot of passing back and sideways rather than forward through balls. When Smith or Walsh are fit, I would drop Paterson, who almost always takes too many touches, over complicated things and slows any attack and instead play a 3 man midfield which plays with more urgency and looks for forward through balls that would be better for any of our current strikers.

I was previously concerned about O'Dowda leaving in the next transfer window, given that he is out of contract in the summer, but on that performance alone, I would suggest we should look to cash in. He can't cross and his delivery from corners and free kicks was frankly woeful. Always in the wrong place when the ball broke, it's as if he has no football brain at all. Eliasson did more in 10 minutes than  O'Dowda, which says it all really.

6 hours ago, Sturny said:

I feel he makes the right decisions, just slow and predictable about it. Unless he's doing one of his no-look passes! 

I agree. Very pedestrian about his play. 

He is our Captain and our playmaker and he should be leading our team to play with some urgency against a Rotherham side that with 10 or 9 men on the pitch would have been ripped apart by playing with a bit of pace. 

I cannot decide if he is stifled partly by a lack of movement from other players or if those players are not moving enough because they know the ball is going to be released painfully slowly anyway. 

Can't help but think that some of the marks being handed out would be somewhat different if an 'Up for it' and hardworking Rotherham side had managed to keep 11 on the pitch?  The game seemed to be heading for 0-0, up until the 2nd dismissal, or even a possible 0-1  prior to the 1st?  A 9 for LJ ? Really? Based on what?.....that he managed to make a couple of correct decisions for a change.  I haven't seen him celebrate a goal like that for a while, the relief at knowing that he was not going to  be 'hung up to dry' and viilfied was all rolled up in that fist pump!  Did he mention our 7 game unbeaten run during thr press conference?   I cannot recall?                                                                                                                                                                       We got lucky today.......but then again, a manager who can produce a team performance akin to  ours against Norwich, perhaps deserves some?  Even though, that showing does tend to highlight just how poor some of our other displays at home have been, and are 1 or 2 quality home games so far this season sufficient?   As for today?   Brownhill, Kalas, Webster, Hunt, Maenpaa, Top of the class........All others...... Distinctly Average [Exccept Adelakun not fully fit, but promising].

5 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I don't know what game you were watching but yesterday was the first time in ages that I have agreed with the MOTM award at the end of the game. Hunt was solid defensively with some good strong tackles and excellent going forward. Not his fault that O'Dowda is a powderpuff who didn't even try to go for a fantastic cross no more than 2 feet in front of him, and that Paterson's heading ability is similarly pathetic.

Brownhill has definitely developed as an attacking midfielder but that leaves Pack playing in that sweeper/quarterback role and a lot more besides. Occasional fantastic long ball (such as the one for Hunt funnily enough) but a lot of passing back and sideways rather than forward through balls. When Smith or Walsh are fit, I would drop Paterson, who almost always takes too many touches, over complicated things and slows any attack and instead play a 3 man midfield which plays with more urgency and looks for forward through balls that would be better for any of our current strikers.

I was previously concerned about O'Dowda leaving in the next transfer window, given that he is out of contract in the summer, but on that performance alone, I would suggest we should look to cash in. He can't cross and his delivery from corners and free kicks was frankly woeful. Always in the wrong place when the ball broke, it's as if he has no football brain at all. Eliasson did more in 10 minutes than  O'Dowda, which says it all really.

It's a game of opinions, but Hunt was caught out of position multiple times and bacon had to be saved by other players (notably Pack) when Rotherham broke.

His crosses were also of poorer quality than DaSilva's (although Jay tbf prefers to dribble it into the box usually), although he reedemed himself with his inch-perfect assist to Webster.

Eliasson is definitely the pick of the corner takers, but I'd suggest that Patto's floaty, easily defended efforts are far worse than O'Dowda's, which at least whipped into the right area. He did deliver one particularly awful free kick, I'll grant you.

As a Sheffield Wednesday supporter I came on here to see what you all thought about Jack Hunts performances so far and stumbled across this thread.

Its interesting that even in this one thread he seems to have polarised opinion just as he did at Hillsborough....personally I'm a fan and it's fair to say that we'd have him back in a shot

We used to have a left back (Tommy Spurr) who got similar criticism that Hunt does...i.e as a full back he's ok going forward but quite often out of position at the back. In my book it's very hard to have one without the other....modern day football rely's a lot on full backs providing the attacking emphasis, they quite often make runs but the player with the ball doesn't find them or loses possession and the opposition exploit the space that Hunt has left behind him.....not a lot he can do about it really!

Do you play with 3 centre backs, in which case it can sometimes be covered, or just the 2?

3 hours ago, Ian66 said:

As a Sheffield Wednesday supporter I came on here to see what you all thought about Jack Hunts performances so far and stumbled across this thread.

Its interesting that even in this one thread he seems to have polarised opinion just as he did at Hillsborough....personally I'm a fan and it's fair to say that we'd have him back in a shot

We used to have a left back (Tommy Spurr) who got similar criticism that Hunt does...i.e as a full back he's ok going forward but quite often out of position at the back. In my book it's very hard to have one without the other....modern day football rely's a lot on full backs providing the attacking emphasis, they quite often make runs but the player with the ball doesn't find them or loses possession and the opposition exploit the space that Hunt has left behind him.....not a lot he can do about it really!

Do you play with 3 centre backs, in which case it can sometimes be covered, or just the 2?

Welcome Ian

Interesting - thanks

we have another excellent Owls contributor on here @visting owl

We play Just two Ian 

Interesred in Yout opinion as not been totally convinced by Hunt but it is very dependent on what you want 

As you suggest great going forward but never a defender !

Out of interest was he ever used in midfield for you ?

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Welcome Ian

Interesting - thanks

we have another excellent Owls contributor on here @visting owl

We play Just two Ian 

Interesred in Yout opinion as not been totally convinced by Hunt but it is very dependent on what you want 

As you suggest great going forward but never a defender !

Out of interest was he ever used in midfield for you ?

@Ian66 I always thought he was a proper RB for you.  Maybe not the greatest defender, but hard, liked a tackle, and very willing to go forward.  He’s had a different player in front of him most games for us which hasn’t helped, and although he’s done okay, I feel that he hasn’t been quite as good as I expected.

However his just two games, having been left out for the previous 5or6, has shown more of the Hunt I thought we’d bought.

Archived