IGNORED

2018 Statistics - Not a good year.

Redland

7 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Lower than where we are, but still convinced we'll end up lower than where we are.

About 14th come May.

Anyway, how do you explain only 3 wins (2018) with these crucial players IN the team?

I think your looking at it with narrow vision. Of course it doesn't look good when it's read like that without any context such as cup run, injuries, those players wanting to leave etc.

Our points tally for the last five games is quite impressive when compared to the other teams in this league......and we are one of just 3 teams unbeaten over those five.

Hull - 13 - Unbeaten

Leeds - 12 - Lost 1 

WBA - 11 - Unbeaten 

Sheff U - 10 - Lost 1 

QPR - 10 - Lost 1 

CITY - 9 - Unbeaten 

Norwich - 8 - Lost 1 

Derby - 8 - Lost 1 

Birmingham - 8 - Lost 1 

Stoke - 8 - Lost 1 

Sheff W - 8 - Lost 1

all others have gained less than 8 points.

39 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Our points tally for the last five games is quite impressive when compared to the other teams in this league......and we are one of just 3 teams unbeaten over those five.

Hull - 13 - Unbeaten

Leeds - 12 - Lost 1 

WBA - 11 - Unbeaten 

Sheff U - 10 - Lost 1 

QPR - 10 - Lost 1 

CITY - 9 - Unbeaten 

Norwich - 8 - Lost 1 

Derby - 8 - Lost 1 

Birmingham - 8 - Lost 1 

Stoke - 8 - Lost 1 

Sheff W - 8 - Lost 1

all others have gained less than 8 points.

And before that we had 4 defeats on the trot.

Let's be honest, the home form this season is really poor. 1 goal per game on average and some really dire performances, with a scattering of good ones here and there. The football is generally slow, dull and predictable, we play to feet rather than into space,  plus there is little intent, movement or passion. Even the "singing section" of the ground has gone quiet recently.

Most supporters go to home games and the entertainment value at AG has been low this season, while frustration has been high, in large part because so many of us can see what's wrong. Yesterday's game was the archetypal home game this season. Team below us in the league, with a poor away record, but we play 1 up front and never really look like scoring, whereas the opposition look fast and dangerous on the break, with Maenpaa the busier goalkeeper.

We are flattered by our position in the league and although we are just 3 points off 7th position, we are not going to achieve SL's stated aim of making the playoffs this season without some dramatic changes. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs a swift reality check.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Did he spend 5 Percent of the riches Johnson has been allowed to waste?

NO!

Johnson out

Not really the point though if you're using win percentage between the 2. Cotts is propped up nicely because of league 1.

14 hours ago, Redland said:

As we move into 2019 I thought it would be interesting to collate our results for 2018. Including league and cup matches these are as follows:-

Played 50. Won 12. Drawn 16. Lost 22. Win ratio 22.4%

As we move into the fourth year of LJ's tenure he recently remarked he had "seen off" other managers in the league who had been sacked. Not LJ bashing but surely this is due to the continued benevolence of our chairman rather than results on the pitch?

I don’t expect you to be able to give the standard deviation or anything technical but your argument loses a lot of credibility when you suggest 12/50 is 22.4%. It doesn’t make much difference to the figure but you just look desperate to post yet another negative post making a point that has been made 100 times.

Out of interest, what was Cotterill’s Championship win ratio? If you want to post the numbers, we’ll do the maths - it’ll save you randomly deducting 1.6% which I assume you did to make it look “cleverer”.

Either way I don’t care for the argument, the original post looks slap-dash and even less convincing than someone saying “I think the football is worse” without anything to back it up.

What I do find interesting about the debate around our manager; those that think he should be sacked will put across points and they are challenged by those that disagree. Some of the time the people that challenge are decryed as happy clappers, (not always), most of the time a different variation of the same argument is repeated over and over again.

When someone posts something positive, there is never the same challenge - it is literally ‘challenged’ by lots of posts about the same argument over and over again, regardless of context.

One thing that disappoints me on phone-ins whether it’s radio Bristol or 606, presenters will never ask or challenge a positive caller. Every call will end with the presenter saying “thanks for that” with very little input elsewhere.

A wolves fan was on 606 yesterday to talk about how well they were doing, they could have been asked about what has changed over the last couple of years, challenged about owners pouring money into the club, dodgy agents - playing devils advocate but giving the caller a chance to counter some of the criticisms. It didn’t happen, the same thing that happened with the positive caller who talked about context to GT recently - these are the people that would openly answer questions like; “how long can a transitional period be?”, “what is the red line while we’re in a transitional period?” And “how many players that LJ has signed have to be playing first team football in the next 1, 2, 5 years for it to be deemed a successful transition?”

24 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

I don’t expect you to be able to give the standard deviation or anything technical but your argument loses a lot of credibility when you suggest 12/50 is 22.4%. It doesn’t make much difference to the figure but you just look desperate to post yet another negative post making a point that has been made 100 times.

Apologies. It was a typo so no hidden agenda and as you say it doesn't make much difference.

This thread proves a point... You can't conflate the form from two different seasons. 

What happened in January 2018 had little relevance to the form in December. 

You have to focus on a season on it's own merits and this one has been average

Average in one of the best leagues in the world isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

This thread proves a point... You can't conflate the form from two different seasons. 

What happened in January 2018 had little relevance to the form in December. 

You have to focus on a season on it's own merits and this one has been average

Average in one of the best leagues in the world isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

Indeed it’s not....and that’s why I’m not “Johnson Out”.  I’m bloody critical of him, but I would be pretty much anyone in charge...I think he has things he can improve.  Even Preston recently, where I was pretty cheesed off, I put a lot of emphasis on the players being at fault.

Part of the problem is what is the objective this season?  Is it really as black and white as SL says, e.g. top 6....or are there underlying mitigants like selling Reid, Flint, Bryan.  Or is simply, top 6 the “stretch target”, top half “meeting expectations”, bottom half “you’re getting sacked’.

We’ve no idea really, just soundbites.  I’m not convinced there are well constructed objectives nor review of performance against them.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed it’s not....and that’s why I’m not “Johnson Out”.  I’m bloody critical of him, but I would be pretty much anyone in charge...I think he has things he can improve.  Even Preston recently, where I was pretty cheesed off, I put a lot of emphasis on the players being at fault.

Part of the problem is what is the objective this season?  Is it really as black and white as SL says, e.g. top 6....or are there underlying mitigants like selling Reid, Flint, Bryan.  Or is simply, top 6 the “stretch target”, top half “meeting expectations”, bottom half “you’re getting sacked’.

We’ve no idea really, just soundbites.  I’m not convinced there are well constructed objectives nor review of performance against them.

After selling those three players, there was always going to be a transition, somewhat frustratingly. Next season, HAS to see progress on this though, surely?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Why let history fetter your ambition? To get somewhere you've never been maybe you have to try something you've never done.

£750k per player is peanuts in modern football.

Some of them are loans and some youngsters and none have progressed (as yet ) 

its been stated many times the club will not spend stupid money we can’t afford , that’s why SL wants sustainability . 

Its peanuts compared to prem and bigger championship clubs yes but they can afford it because they’re bigger clubs 

35 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

its been stated many times the club will not spend stupid money we can’t afford , that’s why SL wants sustainability . 

And therefore I trust that the club isn't spending beyond its means. I trust that even £2m on Engvall is a measured spend and a calculated risk. It didn't pay off, but others have. We'd sell COD and Brownhill for profit of we sold now. Mags I think was a break even job.

I just don't get how the "£30m on 47 players" thing can be used as a rod to bash Johnson.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

And therefore I trust that the club isn't spending beyond its means. I trust that even £2m on Engvall is a measured spend and a calculated risk. It didn't pay off, but others have. We'd sell COD and Brownhill for profit of we sold now. Mags I think was a break even job.

I just don't get how the "£30m on 47 players" thing can be used as a rod to bash Johnson.

Because in the main the recruitment has been poor at best 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

In your opinion........

This is very familiar topic about how many signings were first team players and how many for development?

Red Wizard did work it out but it was quite a while ago.

36 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Whether it has it has not I don't think you can reasonably use the monetary sums paid as ammunition. By all means attack the quality of the players signed but the number of 0's after the £ doesn't affect the argument.

People say LJ in / LJ out

Opinions valid either way.

I think we can all agree though that if he just shut up and stopped big-noting himself, he would be cut more slack.

His last couple of newspaper interviews have literally made me squirm

"well it was more a 60/40 conversation" says LJ (who's won nothing) when chatting to a bloke thats won pretty much everything.

"I'm one of the Top 6 best managers under 40 in Europe."

"I will win the Prem with Bristol City."

Seriously Lee, give your head a wobble. Think it, but don't say it in the national press!

It just heaps more pressure on you when you do poorly - makes you look a bit stupid actually.

If he just said, "we haven't lost in 7, and I hope it continues - I'll be doing my best to ensure that" - Great! Modest reasonable comment.

On a bad run - just admit he's made a mistake and stick to his guns with the side.

Leave the tombola at home!

LJ will get more slack in a bad run, if he doesn't blow his own horn on a good one.

He will get none if he keeps comparing himself to one of the best coaches currently in the game.

I dunno if he needs to feel important, but personally for me, it just sounds very needy and insecure.

People on here have said he is a different bloke when doing talks to the fans - I think it would serve him well if he did the same when on TV.

He just doesn't seem comfortable doing the big interviews, so maybe keep your head down LJ.

I really think it will give him a bit more leeway with the fans if he thinks before he speaks in public!

57 minutes ago, SX227 said:

People say LJ in / LJ out

Opinions valid either way.

I think we can all agree though that if he just shut up and stopped big-noting himself, he would be cut more slack.

His last couple of newspaper interviews have literally made me squirm

"well it was more a 60/40 conversation" says LJ (who's won nothing) when chatting to a bloke thats won pretty much everything.

"I'm one of the Top 6 best managers under 40 in Europe."

"I will win the Prem with Bristol City."

Seriously Lee, give your head a wobble. Think it, but don't say it in the national press!

It just heaps more pressure on you when you do poorly - makes you look a bit stupid actually.

If he just said, "we haven't lost in 7, and I hope it continues - I'll be doing my best to ensure that" - Great! Modest reasonable comment.

On a bad run - just admit he's made a mistake and stick to his guns with the side.

Leave the tombola at home!

LJ will get more slack in a bad run, if he doesn't blow his own horn on a good one.

He will get none if he keeps comparing himself to one of the best coaches currently in the game.

I dunno if he needs to feel important, but personally for me, it just sounds very needy and insecure.

People on here have said he is a different bloke when doing talks to the fans - I think it would serve him well if he did the same when on TV.

He just doesn't seem comfortable doing the big interviews, so maybe keep your head down LJ.

I really think it will give him a bit more leeway with the fans if he thinks before he speaks in public!

Spot on.

His best is “I’d walk this league with a bigger budget” - @BobBobSuper Bob!! What was the exact quote?

But I do love that whenever anything positive happens, it always comes back to something that happened in training or something in the week, e.g. Webster and his first goal yesterday, something about Nandos.

Archived