IGNORED

2018 Statistics - Not a good year.

Redland

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Whether it has it has not I don't think you can reasonably use the monetary sums paid as ammunition. By all means attack the quality of the players signed but the number of 0's after the £ doesn't affect the argument.

Well I certainly attack the recruiting process . We should have more pros than cons regarding signings and that’s not the case as it stands. Josh ,  Webster the keeper are stand outs but pressures on LJ this window I would think . 

10 hours ago, SX227 said:

I dunno if he needs to feel important, but personally for me, it just sounds very needy and insecure.

I've said it before on here, but I have worked with and dealt with people like him and I am absolutely certain that he is incredibly insecure. It's actually quite sad.

Don't forget that he has been fast tracked to his current position, so he'll have had people telling him he is good, without the experience or medals to back it up. 

His management CV is blank in terms of honours. But ask for it and he rattles off all these stories: Barnsley went onto be promoted, converting Bobby Reid etc.

He's the classic *record scratch* "I bet you're wondering how I got here?" who climbed the ranks too quickly. In his head he'll need to keep justifying it to himself.

I'm sure he regularly questions his own progress - am I good enough? - and that's where the outward self-promotion comes from. He says it to convince himself.

I've never felt anything other than quite sorry for him in this particular respect, it must be stressful, but leadership does require you to be bold and self-confident.

We lack leaders so the last thing I want is LJ to be less confident, his issue is leadership is never about "me", especially when it's his team he needs to convince!

On 29/12/2018 at 19:58, Zookeeper WSM said:

What were your expectations pre-season?

My expectations were that LJ would take his head out of his arse and realise that his midfield is nowhere near good enough at this level and hasn't been since he arrived, that having sold quality players for loadsamoney, we wouldn't replace them with  punts or cheap options like Watkins, Wiemann, Eisa etc, etc, etc, we have around 10 players who are nowhere near consistent enough at this level, hence the results over the past 12 months.

LJ is the most excused manager in our history for some unknown reason and the latest excuse is 'we are rebuilding, after selling our 3 best players', take a look at our record when all 3 were playing at the end of last season, it was woeful, in fact it was relegation form.

37 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've said it before on here, but I have worked with and dealt with people like him and I am absolutely certain that he is incredibly insecure. It's actually quite sad.

Don't forget that he has been fast tracked to his current position, so he'll have had people telling him he is good, without the experience or medals to back it up. 

His management CV is blank in terms of honours. But ask for it and he rattles off all these stories: Barnsley went onto be promoted, converting Bobby Reid etc.

He's the classic *record scratch* "I bet you're wondering how I got here?" who climbed the ranks too quickly. In his head he'll need to keep justifying it to himself.

I'm sure he regularly questions his own progress - am I good enough? - and that's where the outward self-promotion comes from. He says it to convince himself.

I've never felt anything other than quite sorry for him in this particular respect, it must be stressful, but leadership does require you to be bold and self-confident.

We lack leaders so the last thing I want is LJ to be less confident, his issue is leadership is never about "me", especially when it's his team he needs to convince!

Insecurity borne out of thinking he is more astute, clever than his dad, got all the gadgets too, his dad was just a motivator....yet his dad almost got us promoted, without anywhere near the same resources.

On 29/12/2018 at 20:33, Redland said:

I didn't pick and choose. I included all our competitive matches.

It's up to LJ which team he picks and I hardly think Plymouth are world beaters. They beat us at home but are currently propping up league one. 

Football runs on seasons rather than calendar years. You've opted to start your stats with us losing 5-0 at Villa but omits the fact that we were 2nd in the table around Christmas time last season. The matches after that were affected by the injuries we'd picked up as a result of our cup run, just prior to the start of your stats we'd played in a League Cup semi-final so last season was hardly a dismal failure, and I haven't given up on this season yet.

12 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Football runs on seasons rather than calendar years. You've opted to start your stats with us losing 5-0 at Villa but omits the fact that we were 2nd in the table around Christmas time last season. The matches after that were affected by the injuries we'd picked up as a result of our cup run, just prior to the start of your stats we'd played in a League Cup semi-final so last season was hardly a dismal failure, and I haven't given up on this season yet.

And your LJ excuse omits the fact that the January window was an unmitigated disaster as was the summer window, more average punts added to the other average punts.

Who knows a more ambitious January might have resulted in the 12 months stat appearing more palatable.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And your LJ excuse omits the fact that the January window was an unmitigated disaster as was the summer window, more average punts added to the other average punts.

Who knows a more ambitious January might have resulted in the 12 months stat appearing more palatable.

The summer window profit has helped us avoid any FFP penalties, the loans last Jan didn't work out but they're always a gamble. Why does LJ need an excuse, he's doing OK by most fans I know although I realise there's a vocal minority against him on here?

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The summer window profit has helped us avoid any FFP penalties, the loans last Jan didn't work out but they're always a gamble. Why does LJ need an excuse, he's doing OK by most fans I know although I realise there's a vocal minority against him on here?

Vocal minority?, I think you will find it's more than that, I see a 50/50 split myself.

He needs an excuse or at least an explanation as to why he has not addressed the midfield problem that has existed since he took over and why Paterson seems to be the first name on the team sheet, however he plays.

17 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Vocal minority?, I think you will find it's more than that, I see a 50/50 split myself.

He needs an excuse or at least an explanation as to why he has not addressed the midfield problem that has existed since he took over and why Paterson seems to be the first name on the team sheet, however he plays.

Given otib is a minority to start with half of that (even if you're right) doesn't amount to much compared to the 18k regulars going to matches

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Given otib is a minority to start with half of that (even if you're right) doesn't amount to much compared to the 18k regulars going to matches

it's more than a reasonable sample to draw a conclusion from, just because there are 18k regulars doesn't mean they are all paid up members of the LJ glee club, in fact most people I talk to are firmly like myself in the unconvinced group regarding LJ, I was being won over by him until January this year and then my confidence totally wained and I am expecting more of the same this January.

I am interested to hear your views on my central point his 3 years of ignoring ongoing midfield problems.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Insecurity borne out of thinking he is more astute, clever than his dad, got all the gadgets too, his dad was just a motivator....yet his dad almost got us promoted, without anywhere near the same resources.

Robbored will be chomping at the bit...

17 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

There must be thousands who turn up to watch games without mentioning anything about City from one game to the next.

The silent majority 

On 30/12/2018 at 02:46, hodge said:

And Cotts win percentage in the championship was?

15.3%, although he was given 26 matches and only one transfer window (the pre-season) to prepare.
In comparison, LJ has inherited a Championship team been given five transfer windows in which he's made 28 permanent signings and 10 loan signings without actually improving the quality of our squad. I would dare to argue that our squad when Cotterill was sacked was actually better than our squad currently is now with LJ in charge.

By no means am I saying that Cotterill would be a better option than LJ right now, but it's certainly fair to say that LJ has been backed fully by the board, in comparison to Cotterill who identified his targets as Andre Grey and Dwight Gayle as we moved into the Championship, both of whom have gone on to play in the Premier League but neither of them was signed and rumours surfaced that the board were not willing to back Cotterill.

Comparing SC and LJ in the Championship is like comparing two sprinters, only one's been given all the training equipment needed whilst the other has been told not to run until the race day and then had his running shoelaces tied together. Cotterill took this club when it was in a bad way and made it something far better, the progression under him saw us lift two trophies and go up a league, all LJ has achieved is taking a decent squad and making it weaker and one great cup run. The whole notion that Cotterill is not as good as LJ at managing this club is built on a poor run of form that we had and SC was never given the backing or the chance to turn around, however when LJ set a record poor run of form he was supported, backed and that gave him the chance to turn things around.
Simply put, SC was not given the support LJ has been and without SC we wouldn't even be in the Championship, it's very easy to use SC's % against him when it comes to the Championship but it was never going to be something he could save without the backing of the board.

Archived