IGNORED

The Mascot Experience

Silvio Dante

As it’s easy to be negative just wanted to put out there the work done by the Mascots team.

My son was one of the mascots today and the whole day was exceptionally well organised, nothing was any trouble and the players were all excellent.

It costs £200 to do but that includes four tickets and food so is actually pretty good value. My lad is still buzzing about his conversations with Pack, Weimann, Hunt and Brownhill. And my mother in law, having never been to a game before, is now already planning her next visit.

Easy to slate the club but they have this 100% right.

To make sure the feedback gets there, tagging @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

4EE80EDD-52EB-4CD6-8F24-74400FED23A6.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Really pleased that your lad enjoyed it. Looks like he had a really good time. 

However, it makes me sad that you have to pay for it. I realise it’s that way across the board, but I’m sure it wasn’t always that way. 

Sad times. A business opportunity. 

You are right - it wasn’t always that way. And, IIRC, that was in the day of one mascot (plus the sponsors mascot!) rather than eleven. Cost at that point was nil.

I rationalise it now this way - same as any other “experience”. It’s a day out for four people with a unique experience for £200. To be honest, that’s not bad value for a family. 

Would I prefer it if it was free? Yep. Do I think it’s still a good price in today’s “market” - again, yep.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You are right - it wasn’t always that way. And, IIRC, that was in the day of one mascot (plus the sponsors mascot!) rather than eleven. Cost at that point was nil.

I rationalise it now this way - same as any other “experience”. It’s a day out for four people with a unique experience for £200. To be honest, that’s not bad value for a family. 

Would I prefer it if it was free? Yep. Do I think it’s still a good price in today’s “market” - again, yep.

Strange one isn't it. £200 is a significant spend, but when you break it down - day out for 4 people, food etc it sounds far better value for money.

They only flaw here, is that the kids who get the experience are likely to be the spawn of season ticket holders, which makes it appear more expensive than it is.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Strange one isn't it. £200 is a significant spend, but when you break it down - day out for 4 people, food etc it sounds far better value for money.

They only flaw here, is that the kids who get the experience are likely to be the spawn of season ticket holders, which makes it appear more expensive than it is.

The way to do it is how we did it - the spare three tickets plus the mascots went to my wife and her parents. My daughter and I who are season ticket holders accompanied my son for most of the day then at 2:30 we went to our ST seats. That meant we genuinely got three “free” tickets but we all got to experience the day

My eldest was the mascot at an away game at Orient 4 years ago. I discovered beforehand that we don't charge for away mascots(not sure if that's still the case).

Anyhow he got to spend time in the dressing room and relax with the players all for free. Orient really looked after him as well.

Something to think about at least, if you can't afford the home package.

1 minute ago, ncnsbcfc said:

My eldest was the mascot at an away game at Orient 4 years ago. I discovered beforehand that we don't charge for away mascots(not sure if that's still the case).

Anyhow he got to spend time in the dressing room and relax with the players all for free. Orient really looked after him as well.

Something to think about at least, if you can't afford the home package.

Going back 30 years, my sister was the mascot at the semi final away against Forest.

Big Joe (understandably) didn’t want her in the changing room so we kept focus. So she’s there, 10 years old, loitering in the City Ground tunnel.

All of a sudden, a booming voice comes out “YOUNG LADY, WHY ARE YOU OUT HERE?”.

Cloughie then scoops her up and takes her in the Forest changing room. Shushes Pearce, Webb, Chapman etc and introduces her to what at the time was one of the best teams in the country. At my parents is a photo of Cloughie with my sister on one knee and the Forest mascot on the other. Just a fantastic experience.

Myself? I got Bolton away and we lost 1-0. Bugger.

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Do you still have to supply your own kit?

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The way to do it is how we did it - the spare three tickets plus the mascots went to my wife and her parents. My daughter and I who are season ticket holders accompanied my son for most of the day then at 2:30 we went to our ST seats. That meant we genuinely got three “free” tickets but we all got to experience the day

Yep, same happened when Joe was mascot v Swindon (3-0 No, No, No game in 14/15), so we invited some friends to use our tickets.

Fielding and Alby the dressing room leaders, getting everyone sorted for autographs and photos.  

I just assumed the mascots were selected at random and free it was free to be in the draw.  I know it’s the way of the corporate world but charging for this sucks as it rules out lots of youngsters whose parents simply can’t afford it.  Perhaps a proud family club trying to do the right thing in the community could pick mascots in a different way rather than relying on the expendable income of parents/grandparents.  What’s £200 to Bristol sport?  If the income is that vital maybe the first team squad could each chip in a tenner towards it.

Good to know, i will be doing this for my boy in the near future as my dad did for me in 83 a 1-0 home win against York City. I still remember many parts of that day and hope to remember them for the rest of my years.

Can't wait to give my boy similar memories. 

On 29/12/2018 at 22:24, Silvio Dante said:

Yes. However, most kids, I’d think, if they want to be mascot at least have the shirt - particularly when it comes free with a ST

True and therefor we would all also have tickets.

7 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I done it through junior reds many years ago and it was free , 

in this day and  age with tv deals , £50,000 for being a sky tv home game for example , do clubs need to take a couple hundred quid out of a family’s pocket ? 

Just said above, West Ham make £13,300 per mascot per season just for home games. You say in times of sky tv etc but in times of FFP clubs will do whatever they can to make money.

On 30/12/2018 at 00:50, yardy said:

Good to know, i will be doing this for my boy in the near future as my dad did for me in 83 a 1-0 home win against York City. I still remember many parts of that day and hope to remember them for the rest of my years.

Can't wait to give my boy similar memories. 

Think there was 2 mascots that day yardy?

On 29/12/2018 at 22:21, Silvio Dante said:

Going back 30 years, my sister was the mascot at the semi final away against Forest.

Big Joe (understandably) didn’t want her in the changing room so we kept focus. So she’s there, 10 years old, loitering in the City Ground tunnel.

All of a sudden, a booming voice comes out “YOUNG LADY, WHY ARE YOU OUT HERE?”.

Cloughie then scoops her up and takes her in the Forest changing room. Shushes Pearce, Webb, Chapman etc and introduces her to what at the time was one of the best teams in the country. At my parents is a photo of Cloughie with my sister on one knee and the Forest mascot on the other. Just a fantastic experience.

Myself? I got Bolton away and we lost 1-0. Bugger.

That's a bloody cracking story really made me smile

My grandfather was amongst the first ever mascots used by City in the 1910-11 season. He wasn't charged a penny, but had to work for the privilege. He had to clean the boots of the players before kick off, hang out the team shirts in the correct order (harder for a lad to do in the days before numbered shirts) and go into both sets of changing rooms and the officials rooms at half-time with tea and biscuits. He also had to lead the teams out onto the field wearing a baby like costume as City were called The Babes at the time. My grandfather felt embarrassed about this as several of his mates were in the crowd and took the p**s out of him something rotten.

My grandfather complained that for doing all this he didn't even receive a thank you or even a player's autograph. Leading the teams out was considered more than accurate reward in those days. The only person associated with the club who did exhibit any gratitude was the wife of Joe Cottle, the centre-back, she thought my grandfather was cute and gave him a peck on the cheek. He said that he turned as red as the City shirts that day. He became quickly enamoured with Mrs Cottle to such an extent that later that afternoon he bashfully passed her a note saying that he thought she was beautiful and thanked her for her kindness and signed it with a couple of kisses. Unfortunately, Mrs Cottle showed Joe and after the match he sought my grandfather out and when he found him gave him a clip round the ear that my grandfather said felt like he had been hit by Jack Johnson, due to the weight and height advantage the City centre-back had. My grandfather cussed the fact that this was the only 'contact' he had from any of the ungrateful City players that day. However, this might sound disloyal to my family, but I don't blame Joe Cottle as my grandfather was 23 at the time.

I did it for my 3 boys about 10 years ago. Negotiated a fantastic deal including kit, signed football, 3 course meal for the 5 of us and it was an absolutely fantastic day. They still have the signed ball on display in their room and talk about it to this day (they are 23 and 20 now!)

Have to say, when it comes to hospitality (even before the new stadium) the club were fantastic and so professional. Ironic really when you consider how inept other aspects of the business can be.

I was also a mascot many, many years ago, 1994 v Tranmere Rovers. Even today I can still remember it all, brilliant stuff. 

Archived