IGNORED

Adelakun

bcfc01

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

O’Dowda gave us bugger all yesterday and Patterson only started playing when we were up against 9. That header he missed was a shocker, it was more like a defensive header back to his own keeper.

To be fair it was a tough header. Although he did have time to think, and really should of done an overhead kick for power. 

For COD defensively worked well, and had a couple of surging runs through the middle. There is a real gem there, I just wonder if LJ can bring it out of him.

12 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

He was dreadful should have been off much sooner, on the 3 offerings I’ve seen he’s not anywhere good enough for the championship. One thing for sure he didn’t look a team player very static off the ball and rarely got back. 

Are you sure you watched the same game as me, think your opinion will be very in the minority.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Think they are just annoyed we got him on a free, or for a small compensation fee. 

As for his performance, I think he did ok, but was playing it safe too much for me. He seemed reluctunt to really attack the full back.

That's the trouble when your chances are few and far between you feel under pressure and that if you make a mistake any mistake you might not get another chance, a bit like Mo Eisa getting a few minutes here and there frightened to play your normal game for fear of being dropped if you don't score.

Very promising. I thought he added variety and tried some original stuff. I too was surprised he played inside a lot, but if he’s right footed he’s possibly not comfortable hugging the left touchline. It would be interesting to know whether he was told to take a roaming role, or whether he took it on himself.

4 hours ago, harrys said:

I disagree, if he knew that he blasted a ball into a young kids face and didn’t acknowledge it he is a tossed in my book

1) I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to do it. 

2) how does the dad know for certain he knew that he hit someone? 

If he turn round and blasted the ball at someone on purpose (like the Wednesday player) years ago then I agree he would be a tosser but when your doing shooting practice it's just an honest accident 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

But if they don't play their normal game and try and do what they are supposed to be good at then they shouldn't be playing.

most players in the course of playing there normal game will make mistakes,  when you are almost guaranteed a starting place you can attempt things knowing if it does not come off you probably wont be dropped, when your chances are limited like Adelekun, Eisa, Engval, it must inhibit you, that is what I am getting at.

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

COD the current whipping boy it seems. We are on a run and get something in our next two games its a decent run. Defenders hate playing against Odowda, but on here he is useless....

He's had a couple of good games recently but yesterday wasn't one of them imo - he is a lot better than what we saw yesterday.

But yes, he seems to have taken over from Paterson as whipping boy at the moment now that Paterson is playing a bit better.

Imagine if we had Adelakun (will be a good player for us imo), Eliasson, O'Dowda, and Paterson all at the top of their game...

Now the dust has settled a little. We did not play poorly in the first half carve out several chances and could have been out of sight. Second half they were in it and put us under pressure, we punished them on the break leading to two sendings off. 

It was tough watching us beat nine men but we did.

moral is we need to put early chances away. LJ reckons we will 'pump' someone soon and he may well be right! 

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Now the dust has settled a little. We did not play poorly in the first half carve out several chances and could have been out of sight. Second half they were in it and put us under pressure, we punished them on the break leading to two sendings off. 

It was tough watching us beat nine men but we did.

moral is we need to put early chances away. LJ reckons we will 'pump' someone soon and he may well be right! 

He may well be right, he's been saying that for some time.

Law of averages and all that.

Can't say that I was over-impressed, few flashes, but often static. Obviously his development was hindered by the injury, so far from writing him off. I'm just puzzled by his selection, picked in two away games and one home, but hardly used from the bench, and very hard to work out why he was selected ahead of Elliason.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Re Adelakun I liked what I saw yesterday, I was disappointed v Ipswich, but as with all players time will tell.  I could argue with a lot of comments above, but we all see different things, and none of us are right or wrong.

Where as you saw more in him than me yesterday, there's no doubt he had improved from Ipswich. Hopefully games will improve him more and more, it would be handy to have 3 players to rotate in those positions. Been looking at that site you told me about, the heat maps reinforce your explanation about the FB's overlapping. I would still like the wingers to hold a wide position to start, or get into the box more to add a threat. 
You can see below, the FB'sstay wide most of the time while ODowda and Adelukan drift.

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 19.09.41.png

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 19.10.14.png

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

O’Dowda gave us bugger all yesterday and Patterson only started playing when we were up against 9. That header he missed was a shocker, it was more like a defensive header back to his own keeper.

@1960maaan the heat maps are great, but they only tell part of the picture....when the player has the ball.  What I liked yesterday was Adelakun off the ball (and on it too).  It dragged a disciplined team like Rotherham about.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where do you sit?  I think we get different perspectives from different positions.

Standing Section. I was up at the back yesterday, over what would have been the veritable east end of the East End. We've shared a similar opinion on players before, hence my mentioning of disagreeing re Pack.

Usually am in agreement with you but personally think if our attacks are worth 5/10 or more then Pack is worth the same as he invariably instigates things, even if not directly/with assists. I thought our forward play was brighter vs Roth, a 6/10, and thought Pack merited the same. I noted his deep lying position as if we were occasionally playing 3 centre halves, he was deeper than usual, more often than usual, but still thought he played a fairly positive, forward-moving game. I do think to be given 4/10 you'd have to be really quite poor - I'm not a fan of O'Dowda, I don't see an end product even nearly enough - and yesterday he was more anonymous than usual but I'd still have given him 5. He didn't do anything wrong, per se, just failed to affect the game in any meaningful/consistent way. For me, Pack would have to be giving the ball away, hitting passes out of touch, going backwards too much to warrant a 4. I get the feeling your points out of ten are broadly commensurate with mine, and I know you rate him. He must have really irked you! In the light of the day after, would you upgrade him to at least a 5 now?!

30 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Standing Section. I was up at the back yesterday, over what would have been the veritable east end of the East End. We've shared a similar opinion on players before, hence my mentioning of disagreeing re Pack.

Usually am in agreement with you but personally think if our attacks are worth 5/10 or more then Pack is worth the same as he invariably instigates things, even if not directly/with assists. I thought our forward play was brighter vs Roth, a 6/10, and thought Pack merited the same. I noted his deep lying position as if we were occasionally playing 3 centre halves, he was deeper than usual, more often than usual, but still thought he played a fairly positive, forward-moving game. I do think to be given 4/10 you'd have to be really quite poor - I'm not a fan of O'Dowda, I don't see an end product even nearly enough - and yesterday he was more anonymous than usual but I'd still have given him 5. He didn't do anything wrong, per se, just failed to affect the game in any meaningful/consistent way. For me, Pack would have to be giving the ball away, hitting passes out of touch, going backwards too much to warrant a 4. I get the feeling your points out of ten are broadly commensurate with mine, and I know you rate him. He must have really irked you! In the light of the day after, would you upgrade him to at least a 5 now?!

Good comments and fair.

He did irk me....and as I say it blinkered my view of anything good he did.

Re my Ratings....i’m usually 6s and 7s, the odd 5, the odd 8....I rarely give a 4s, 9s or 10s.  I think I was very frustrated by the simple things certain players got wrong imho yesterday.

O’Dowda is a 6ft(ish) winger who jumps for headers without any use of his body, and therefore wins nothing.  There were times when he was 55:45 favourites against Mattock and lost every one.

Pack kept retreating onto Webster and then was in no-man’s land for any balls that drop into midfield.

It was things like that yesterday that bugged me.  

I’ll Post balanced ratings on Tuesday....honestly.

Archived