IGNORED

Stick or twist in January

barneyrubble

We're comfortable mid table 13 points off relegation and 7 from play offs.

Last year we made a pigs ear of transfer window and dropped like a stone.

Do we stick with current squad and develop from within or do we go for the couple of players to improve.  Think we badly need central midfield competition and centre forward who can play alongside famara  as lj doesn't think what we currently have is worth consistent game time.

Mr lansdown will need to decide if his statement of wanting top 6 is just words.

Who do you want?  

4 minutes ago, Barney red said:

We're comfortable mid table 13 points off relegation and 7 from play offs.

Last year we made a pigs ear of transfer window and dropped like a stone.

Do we stick with current squad and develop from within or do we go for the couple of players to improve.  Think we badly need central midfield competition and centre forward who can play alongside famara  as lj doesn't think what we currently have is worth consistent game time.

Mr lansdown will need to decide if his statement of wanting top 6 is just words.

Who do you want?  

Personally I think the development signings are pretty much exhausted in as much those youngsters out out on loan will take quite some time to mature into Championship quality footballers - if they ever do. 

So.....rather than spend more on development squad players why not combine any available funds into signing at least one or two Championship ready players if any are available this window?

I don’t think we’d get him , or he attractive to him in a permanent , but the more I see of Kalas I’m not sure him on a permanent wouldn’t be one of my priorities , at least looking at the feasibility, and at least asking the questions 

Very intelligent and reliable , reads the game so well , knits In very well with Webster and makes Webster (Very good signing and player) even better

As a partnership , possibly up there with the best In the Championship and masking or making up for flaws elsewhere and a large part in keeping us midtable , with Maenappa playing the third musketeer

(If we could get him I’d be buying him with money / some of ?  we will get at some point for Kelly)

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I think the development signings are pretty much exhausted in as much those youngsters out out on loan will take quite some time to mature into Championship quality footballers - if they ever do. 

So.....rather than spend more on development squad players why not combine any available funds into signing at least one or two Championship ready players if any are available this window?

Agree don't see anything at the club being better than what we currently have. The more I think about it the centre midfielder is most important as sooner or later pack or Brownhill will completely run out of steam with the minutes they are playing. Problem is getting one with our restricted budget.

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

On another note robbored ignore that rude post about you totally unnecessary.  

I would say loans only in January. We aren't (going by performances) about to force our way into a playoff position anytime soon even though results have picked up recently so save the money until the summer.

It's a shame we haven't used Eisa at all, I would much rather we gave him minutes here than in a lower league. Some players thrive going up against better opposition and subsequently their game improves more rapidly.

I can only assume that LJ, after seeing him up close realises it's another loss making exercise because at 24, this is not a kid coming through. Any confidence he had in his season where he forced a move through lots of goals and assists, has long faded and we are left with a guy starting from zero, bad management as far as I'm concerned.

Not saying LJ is a bad manager, he's doing ok for the club we are, it's just a few things stopping him being better. He often talks about small margins being the difference, in a squad where we have little competition up front, I can't see why we haven't started Eisa a few times to give him some confidence he has a future here. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

If I were Lansdown I wouldn’t give LJ a penny. 

He’s spent an awful lot without proving himself in the transfer market. 

I’d wait until summer where it can be given to whomever is in charge be that LJ or not. 

A lot depends on who has been signing/scouting/choosing the players who have come in of late. There have been hints that LJ doesn't have overall say in every transfer , I would love to know who has had a hand in which player coming in.

That said, I agree with your post, with the seemingly scattergun approach with incomings, not just in quality, this window would be pointless, unless .......

If SL (somehow) sees an opportunity to kick on and grab a playoff spot. Of course he would also have to see the one or two positions that would make THAT difference, added too seeing the one or two players that would make THAT difference, who would also come in at sensible fee and wages.
Thinking about it, doesn't look likely does it.

Been said elsewhere, but we need to decide how we are going to play, and work with the current crop to get that to work. At the moment , looks like he picks the side and chooses formation then seems to let them get on with it. The movement and willingness to support our lone striker seems non existent . 2 new 'in budget' players is hardly likely to change that.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t think we’d get him , or he attractive to him in a permanent , but the more I see of Kalas I’m not sure him on a permanent wouldn’t be one of my priorities , at least looking at the feasibility, and at least asking the questions 

Very intelligent and reliable , reads the game so well , knits In very well with Webster and makes Webster (Very good signing and player) even better

As a partnership , possibly up there with the best In the Championship and masking or making up for flaws elsewhere and a large part in keeping us midtable , with Maenappa playing the third musketeer

(If we could get him I’d be buying him with money / some of ?  we will get at some point for Kelly)

Thought it was his best game for us yesterday....he got my MOTM.  How much would he cost? £5-8m?  At 25 years of age, alongside Webster you have 5 years worth of a partnership....and also future value too.  With the new loan rules, there might be a better deal to be made, perhaps less than £5m?

I don’t think we’ll sell Kelly in this window, so we would have to get rid of Baker....could we tempt Villa for £2.0-£2.5m?  Would we get that much?  Wright is the other option to move on (I would keep him over Baker personally).

Maybe we had £3.0-4.0m sat waiting for Zack Steffen....we could use that.

Otherwise I would tell LJ to make do with what he’s got

27 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Stick. Make LJ use the young fringe players he has bought like Eisa and Adelakun. Would like to see some youngsters blooded too. 

Agreed - we aren’t good enough to get to the Premier League this season so let’s start developing next season’s team and see where that takes us. I’d settle for a finish between 13th and 7th if it means our younger players can get much needed competitive championship experience and enhance our prospects of a playoff push next season. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought it was his best game for us yesterday....he got my MOTM.  How much would he cost? £5-8m?  At 25 years of age, alongside Webster you have 5 years worth of a partnership....and also future value too.  With the new loan rules, there might be a better deal to be made, perhaps less than £5m?

I don’t think we’ll sell Kelly in this window, so we would have to get rid of Baker....could we tempt Villa for £2.0-£2.5m?  Would we get that much?  Wright is the other option to move on (I would keep him over Baker personally).

Maybe we had £3.0-4.0m sat waiting for Zack Steffen....we could use that.

Otherwise I would tell LJ to make do with what he’s got

He has been excellent recently

I also have to say he came back bloody quickly from a nasty broken jaw ......very gutsy and brave......

And he’s a loaneee...... could have looked after himself and taken a while before throwing himself back in.....

I really like that...........and no wonder he took a couple of games to feel confident gain 

Totally unspectacular to the eye , but reads the game brilliantly , always one eye on the ball, another what’s around him and if he needs to cover , probably goes unnoticed 

Calm in his defending and makes early decisions

I like him , like him a lot

With our current sit rep I see our No 1 strength being the triangle of Maenappa / Webster / Kalas , by some distance 

Kalas and Webster work well together and compliment each other

A keeper and a centre half partnership are a great starting point for any decent side.....

I don’t think Kelly will be here long so there is little point in building around him , moreso we need to plan how to use the money he will bring in

Kalas and Webster could provide us with a well matched good quality partnership for the next 3/4 seasons 

Would we resist decent offers for Webster ?

Potentially the only remaining defensive component could be Hunt ! (Yet to offer Pisano a new deal) and Maenappa

Our current back four could be decimated by August or partially January with potentially Kalas and Da Silva gone , and Kelly, Baker, All potentially gone

Cannot See BW will be signing a new contract here and will be gone

Id be trying to keep Kalas , and planning my back four around him / AW and NM , and recruit a left back (Summer) ready to compete with and / or replace Kelly 

And build forwards from there 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He has been excellent recently

I also have to say he came back bloody quickly from a nasty broken jaw ......very gutsy and brave......

And he’s a loaneee...... could have looked after himself and taken a while before throwing himself back in.....

I really like that...........and no wonder he took a couple of games to feel confident gain 

Totally unspectacular to the eye , but reads the game brilliantly , always one eye on the ball, another what’s around him and if he needs to cover , probably goes unnoticed 

Calm in his defending and makes early decisions

I like him , like him a lot

With our current sit rep I see our No 1 strength being the triangle of Maenappa / Webster / Kalas , by some distance 

Kalas and Webster work well together and compliment each other

A keeper and a centre half partnership are a great starting point for any decent side.....

I don’t think Kelly will be here long so there is little point in building around him , moreso we need to plan how to use the money he will bring in

Kalas and Webster could provide us with a well matched good quality partnership for the next 3/4 seasons 

Would we resist decent offers for Webster ?

Potentially the only remaining defensive component could be Hunt ! (Yet to offer Pisano a new deal) and Maenappa

Our current back four could be decimated by August or partially January with potentially Kalas and Da Silva gone , and Kelly, Baker, All potentially gone

Cannot See BW will be signing a new contract here and will be gone

Id be trying to keep Kalas , and planning my back four around him / AW and NM , and recruit a left back (Summer) ready to compete with and or replace Kelly replace Kelly 

And build forwards from there 

Totally agree. 

Would you sacrifice selling Kelly in January if it meant you could buy Kalas?  I think I might.

Interested in your thoughts @Davefevs on Kalas 

Would cost us a bit and a forwarding loan if you like from future Kelly income

Would be lovely to splash a big wedge on a striker and more entertaining for us all , but I just wonder, looking forward , not just the immediate ,  if the most sensible investment and building block could actually be Kalas ? ?

I like Webster and like the way they compliment each other , Kalas is currently improving Webster’s current value by playing alongside him IMHO

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree. 

Would you sacrifice selling Kelly in January if it meant you could buy Kalas?  I think I might.

Our posts crossed

Yes I would Dave 

If we could use the money from Kelly to fund Kalas , I think I would , if we could do it with change , certainly

Initially that seems crazy doesn’t it bu5 my thought is Kalas could be a bedrock performer for us for 4/5 years 

Kelly , due to his ability / potential won’t be

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our posts crossed

Yes I would Dave 

If we could use the money from Kelly to fund Kalas , I think I would , if we could do it with change , certainly

Initially that seems crazy doesn’t it bu5 my thought is Kalas could be a bedrock performer for us for 4/5 years 

Kelly , due to his ability / potential won’t be

My answer was yes too.

I’ve stated before that I thought Kalas started well for us, had a dip, broke his jaw, was a bit tentative on his return (naturally), but Derby and yesterday he looked very good (didn’t catch a stream of Brentford, but by all accounts was good too).

I think he can play too....not to the extent of Webster, but comfy enough.

With Webster and Kalas I think you can dispose of Pack playing as the QB (it’s not not necessary)....that’s not despose of Pack, but tell him to get further up the pitch when our 2xCBs have it.

Get £7m for Kelly, try and get Kalas for £5m???

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My answer was yes too.

I’ve stated before that I thought Kalas started well for us, had a dip, broke his jaw, was a bit tentative on his return (naturally), but Derby and yesterday he looked very good (didn’t catch a stream of Brentford, but by all accounts was good too).

I think he can play too....not to the extent of Webster, but comfy enough.

With Webster and Kalas I think you can dispose of Pack playing as the QB (it’s not not necessary)....that’s not despose of Pack, but tell him to get further up the pitch when our 2xCBs have it.

Get £7m for Kelly, try and get Kalas for £5m???

While I think of it

You were right about Pack in the comfort zone

What summed it up for me was , after they went down to 9 men with no out let up front we still retained a back four for a period with no one to mark

We then get a goal kick I think it was and Kalas is in possession , with our back four alongside him , without a Rotherham player within 20 yards 

Pack then comes backwards and literally takes the ball off Kalas’s toes meaning we now have 5 men behind the ball against 9 men 

Mind boggling.....

Tough one really but I'd be amazed if SL spent big.

We seem to have sorted out the back 5 with healthy competition and Maenpaa is now showing us what a good keeper he is.

With the front line struggling for goals that's where LJ has to make the call on? Do we go back to 4, 4, 2? 

Yesterday I was well chuffed for Webster, but a long time coming as he and Baker/Kalas due to their size should be getting on the score sheet.

I thought Ryan Williams was Rotherhams best player yesterday and caused us a few issues with his pace, so a cheeky bid in January for him :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Archived