IGNORED

Stick or twist in January

barneyrubble

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t think we’d get him , or he attractive to him in a permanent , but the more I see of Kalas I’m not sure him on a permanent wouldn’t be one of my priorities , at least looking at the feasibility, and at least asking the questions 

Very intelligent and reliable , reads the game so well , knits In very well with Webster and makes Webster (Very good signing and player) even better

As a partnership , possibly up there with the best In the Championship and masking or making up for flaws elsewhere and a large part in keeping us midtable , with Maenappa playing the third musketeer

(If we could get him I’d be buying him with money / some of ?  we will get at some point for Kelly)

We should(within reason)do all we can to secure Kalas-the type we need if were ever to push on.

And as for the Watkins's & Wrights of the squad,move em on for the opposite reason...hardly players you would bring in with top six in mind so recruitment for me anyway is a serious concern.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

While I think of it

You were right about Pack in the comfort zone

What summed it up for me was , after they went down to 9 men with no out let up front we still retained a back four for a period with no one to mark

We then get a goal kick I think it was and Kalas is in possession , with our back four alongside him , without a Rotherham player within 20 yards 

Pack then comes backwards and literally takes the ball off Kalas’s toes meaning we now have 5 men behind the ball against 9 men 

Mind boggling.....

Did you watch him on Rodak’s kicks too?

But I must give praise, having seen the highlights, that it was Pack’s Cross-field pass to Hunt in the first half....thought it was Webster.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Did you watch him on Rodak’s kicks too?

But I must give praise, having seen the highlights, that it was Pack’s Cross-field pass to Hunt in the first half....thought it was Webster.

Yes , and you were right

Was a lovely ball , I was behind it and could see it open up as Pack did , and he pinged a lovely ball

IIRC correctly , Rotherham were caught vary lop sides and there was another player (COD ?) Who was also coming in behind with Hunt and possibly in a better opportunity to take it ?

In fairness to Hunt he did extremely well and JP should have scored 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , and you were right

Was a lovely ball , I was behind it and could see it open up as Pack did , and he pinged a lovely ball

IIRC correctly , Rotherham were caught vary lop sides and there was another player (COD ?) Who was also coming in behind with Hunt and possibly in a better opportunity to take it ?

In fairness to Hunt he did extremely well and JP should have scored 

Cod was just inside Hunt, and had Hunt got it under control perfectly, he would gave had a simple lay-off to cod or a shot himself.

1 minute ago, Bobbie said:

Kalas wages are huge and well out of our price range. Imo we build our defence around Kelly, Webster and Vyner. 

I think the point we are making is that we won’t be able to hold onto Kelly for very long, so no point building around him.  Who knows though, Kelly could plateau?

15 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

We should(within reason)do all we can to secure Kalas-the type we need if were ever to push on.

And as for the Watkins's & Wrights of the squad,move em on for the opposite reason...hardly players you would bring in with top six in mind so recruitment for me anyway is a serious concern.

The problem with the current transfer/loan system is you need a squad and both Wright and Watkins can cover more than one position. 

I'd sooner move Baker on than Wright and Watkins depending on who else stays or moves on. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

A lot depends on who has been signing/scouting/choosing the players who have come in of late. There have been hints that LJ doesn't have overall say in every transfer , I would love to know who has had a hand in which player coming in.

That said, I agree with your post, with the seemingly scattergun approach with incomings, not just in quality, this window would be pointless, unless .......

If SL (somehow) sees an opportunity to kick on and grab a playoff spot. Of course he would also have to see the one or two positions that would make THAT difference, added too seeing the one or two players that would make THAT difference, who would also come in at sensible fee and wages.
Thinking about it, doesn't look likely does it.

Been said elsewhere, but we need to decide how we are going to play, and work with the current crop to get that to work. At the moment , looks like he picks the side and chooses formation then seems to let them get on with it. The movement and willingness to support our lone striker seems non existent . 2 new 'in budget' players is hardly likely to change that.

I would not sign any players, but sign a Chief Scout who knows the Championship inside/out, give him 6-12 months to "bed in" and then go again.

The current scatter gun approach just ain't working. I would also allow the Chief Scout to have a say in the style of football to be played working with LJ or whoever comes in, rather than more scatter gun!

Kalas would be great but his wages would be the main sticking point and I'm sure he could go to a lower prem team. 

Kelly will probably be off in the summer and along with Da Silva going back we'll have to get a left back in unless Pring can step in? Not seen him play so no idea how he's progressing. 

People say we need a striker but with us only playing 1 up top its unlikely we'll drop Fammy. Young prem one on loan is only real option who won't mind sub appearances. 

That leave our main weakness which has been on going for years midfield. Johnson has had a good 3 years to find one, someone like Bradley Dack. I don't know anyone like him but if there is then January would be a hard time to get them in as other teams will want him unless we go for an unknown from France etc but taking a risk. Along with our apparent reluctantly to give players like Walsh a run of games and sticking with Pack I'm not confident we'll see anyone different in midfiled for a while. 

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Stick. Make LJ use the young fringe players he has bought like Eisa and Adelakun. Would like to see some youngsters blooded too. 

I think we need a good few more points in the'bank' before we go down that route this season.

All for it if we have nothing to play for but the omnipresent possibility of an LJ losing streak is still of concern, particularly considering how we are playing.

As 11 v 11 yesterday or even 11 v10 we were not winning that game.

At 11 v 11 I had real fears we were going to lose.

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Kalas would be great but his wages would be the main sticking point and I'm sure he could go to a lower prem team. 

Kelly will probably be off in the summer and along with Da Silva going back we'll have to get a left back in unless Pring can step in? Not seen him play so no idea how he's progressing. 

People say we need a striker but with us only playing 1 up top its unlikely we'll drop Fammy. Young prem one on loan is only real option who won't mind sub appearances. 

That leave our main weakness which has been on going for years midfield. Johnson has had a good 3 years to find one, someone like Bradley Dack. I don't know anyone like him but if there is then January would be a hard time to get them in as other teams will want him unless we go for an unknown from France etc but taking a risk. Along with our apparent reluctantly to give players like Walsh a run of games and sticking with Pack I'm not confident we'll see anyone different in midfiled for a while. 

Unlikely to drop him yes, but what if injury or suspension comes along - both would leave us utterly devoid of someone who can 'play' that role.

Queue another change in style of play!

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It might also be a good idea to actually decide how we intend to play and the playing plan / ethos for the next couple of years at least

Before we recruit anyone

Ever heard the term cultural architect? 

Its the leaders Mr Johnson talks about. Its possible that Mr Johnson still needs 1, 2, 3 cultural architects who have the mind set and ability to model the keystones of Mr Johnsons big plan.

Famara is not one.

Webster looks to be.

Pack possibly or no.

Kalas … Yes but on loan.

Others?

The team should be through the phase of storming and arcs of change but it is not.  Its should be norming, it should be balanced with principles in place … The back four/five and keeper look good. That is balanced. Beyond that we as fans have notions of what football Mr Johnson is aspiring to. Its hard to see how the team progresses further without more change at least in recruitment. It looks to myself that Mr Johnson despite spunking millions up the wall should be given more money and thus obvious time if he is the future Mr Lansdown thinks he is.

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Unlikely to drop him yes, but what if injury or suspension comes along - both would leave us utterly devoid of someone who can 'play' that role.

Queue another change in style of play!

I agree but will someone decent/established be prepared to play 2nd fidle just in case he gets injured? 

58 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interested in your thoughts @Davefevs on Kalas 

Would cost us a bit and a forwarding loan if you like from future Kelly income

Would be lovely to splash a big wedge on a striker and more entertaining for us all , but I just wonder, looking forward , not just the immediate ,  if the most sensible investment and building block could actually be Kalas ? ?

I like Webster and like the way they compliment each other , Kalas is currently improving Webster’s current value by playing alongside him IMHO

Agree with all of that Bob, but if I am Kalas why would I sign up here? Probably never going to be a starter at Stamford Bridge or even in the 18 regularly but will have better options than us in the summer I suspect.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Ever heard the term cultural architect? 

Its the leaders Mr Johnson talks about. Its possible that Mr Johnson still needs 1, 2, 3 cultural architects who have the mind set and ability to model the keystones of Mr Johnsons big plan.

Famara is not one.

Webster looks to be.

Pack possibly or no.

Kalas … Yes but on loan.

Others?

The team should be through the phase of storming and arcs of change but it is not.  Its should be norming, it should be balanced with principles in place … The back four/five and keeper look good. That is balanced. Beyond that we as fans have notions of what football Mr Johnson is aspiring to. Its hard to see how the team progresses further without more change at least in recruitment. It looks to myself that Mr Johnson despite spunking millions up the wall should be given more money and thus obvious time if he is the future Mr Lansdown thinks he is.

We thought we had Tuckman all sorted at the start of 16/17 when we signed Tomlin, but we realised we had Tuck-shop instead ?

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agree with all of that Bob, but if I am Kalas why would I sign up here? Probably never going to be a starter at Stamford Bridge or even in the 18 regularly but will have better options than us in the summer I suspect.

That is the fly in the ointment of the plan!!

A quality CM is really the focus for me. And a Djuric replacement which is still required. 

Otherwise fine.

We are steadily in the play off running and have picked up points without looking that good this season. Believe it or not - that can be taken as a positive.

The squad is still developing after our best players last season left.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Probably not so as mentioned by someone above a PL loan youngster may be the answer.

Conor Wickham would be ideal. Just come back from injury but with the trouble crystal Palace have with centre forwards they'll probably want to keep him. Any Man City youngsters possible? 

38 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I thought Ryan Williams was Rotherhams best player yesterday and caused us a few issues with his pace, so a cheeky bid in January for him :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

That's funny as he was sensational at their place and ran the game... so I duly told everyone yesterday he was the one to watch, and I thought he embarrassed me a bit as he made quite a few mistakes and gave the ball away a lot, certainly less influential for them than he has been, but glad someone else spotted the quality!

As the last 20 minutes proved yesterday, we find it hard to score. If a decent forward to partner Fammy was available, we'd be daft not to swoop. January isn't a great time for attracting such players, but look at the difference the Matt Smith loan made a while ago. 

Less of an "if", is the need for a robust, intimidating central midfielder. Pack had a really poor spell, but we couldn't drop him because there was literally no-one else. A plethora of wingers, a dearth of central men. If we're to build on where we are, we can't just rely on Korey coming back in "February at best". Remember last season, where we were told loads of players would be returning from injury in January and they'd make us "like a new team". The prediction of their arrival was about as accurate as the Thameslink timetable!  :ranting:

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We thought we had Tuckman all sorted at the start of 16/17 when we signed Tomlin, but we realised we had Tuck-shop instead ?

That is the fly in the ointment of the plan!!

Don’t get the dislike and obsession for Tomlin what’s more he left us 18 months.

Could start by starting Eisa and Adelukan more, there’s basically two new signings there. Korey comkng back basically another. 

We have a huge squad & have spent more than enough to have a good season, January signings are never actually any good either. When was the last Jan permanent signing we made that had a decent impact? Djuric maybe but he’s already not at the club anymore 

45 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I thought Ryan Williams was Rotherhams best player yesterday and caused us a few issues with his pace, so a cheeky bid in January for him :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

That's funny as he was sensational at their place and ran the game... so I duly told everyone yesterday he was the one to watch, and I thought he embarrassed me a bit as he made quite a few mistakes and gave the ball away a lot, certainly less influential for them than he has been, but glad someone else spotted the quality!

Have to agree with @Olé here, although Williams is usually better than what we saw there.

Were I the Millers' manager, Ajayi. their tall, composed defender would be the guy getting my plaudits from yesterday. 

Yesterday it suddenly dawned on me what we were doing this season, I have the answer, seriously.

SL a couple of years ago I think stated we wanted to emulate Reading, we even brought in Coppell and a couple of their ex players. Well we know how that went.

Then there were mumblings about us ‘doing a Bournemouth’, small unfancued team with young up and coming Manager. Work in progress.

Now I honestly feel this seasons wannabe team is...Fulham. Fulham were 11th this time last season, ( I was told this, haven’t checked), they made one fantastic loan in January and got themselves promoted from almost nowhere. They bought in Mitrovic and he almost singlehandedly got them up there. 

All LJ has to do is find our Mitrovic.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He has been excellent recently

I also have to say he came back bloody quickly from a nasty broken jaw ......very gutsy and brave......

And he’s a loaneee...... could have looked after himself and taken a while before throwing himself back in.....

I really like that...........and no wonder he took a couple of games to feel confident gain 

Totally unspectacular to the eye , but reads the game brilliantly , always one eye on the ball, another what’s around him and if he needs to cover , probably goes unnoticed 

Calm in his defending and makes early decisions

I like him , like him a lot

With our current sit rep I see our No 1 strength being the triangle of Maenappa / Webster / Kalas , by some distance 

Kalas and Webster work well together and compliment each other

A keeper and a centre half partnership are a great starting point for any decent side.....

I don’t think Kelly will be here long so there is little point in building around him , moreso we need to plan how to use the money he will bring in

Kalas and Webster could provide us with a well matched good quality partnership for the next 3/4 seasons 

Would we resist decent offers for Webster ?

Potentially the only remaining defensive component could be Hunt ! (Yet to offer Pisano a new deal) and Maenappa

Our current back four could be decimated by August or partially January with potentially Kalas and Da Silva gone , and Kelly, Baker, All potentially gone

Cannot See BW will be signing a new contract here and will be gone

Id be trying to keep Kalas , and planning my back four around him / AW and NM , and recruit a left back (Summer) ready to compete with and / or replace Kelly 

And build forwards from there 

I agree entirely that we must make every effort to sign Kalas. He’s a proven top end Champs player who compliments Webster so well. My concern is other clubs will come knocking come the summer.

Bailey-Wright id move on in the summer. His distribution is so poor. 

LJ has already intimidated that he’s after one or two loan signings. He clearly doesn’t think Eisa is ready so we must bring in another striker and centre mid.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

As the last 20 minutes proved yesterday, we find it hard to score. If a decent forward to partner Fammy was available, we'd be daft not to swoop. January isn't a great time for attracting such players, but look at the difference the Matt Smith loan made a while ago. 

Less of an "if", is the need for a robust, intimidating central defender. Pack had a really poor spell, but we couldn't drop him because there was literally no-one else. A plethora of wingers, a dearth of central men. If we're to build on where we are, we can't just rely on Korey coming back in "February at best". Remember last season, where we were told loads of players would be returning from injury in January and they'd make us "like a new team". The prediction of their arrival was about as accurate as the Thameslink timetable!  :ranting:

Think you meant Central Midfielder, but I totally agree. This season we're seeing the limitations of Pack, he was built up to be something really special last season (and rightly so) but having Bobby Reid floating about doesn't half help you pick out passes. Even an on form Weimann creates some space, but there is none of it to work with now and he slows things down and is struggling to dictate the pace of games in the way he should now as the senior player in the team.

I honestly liked far more what I saw from Walsh the little he played (i.e. quick thinking, give and goes, trying to pick the pace up more, albeit at the expense of being less of a solid base to the midfield) and so I would base a lot of my transfer view based on when he (and Korey as a counterbalance option) will really be fit and ready to go (as you've said, these ETA's seem to always go backwards). I'd also be looking to give Morrell more game time who should also add energy.

On the forward, that's the obvious one and pretty obvious LJ will go for one even on loan, but it does make it even more bizarre that we signed Eisa. I think he has bags of potential from the limited action I've seen for him, but he is and was always going to be a square peg in a round hole when clearly what we need is a target man. Eisa is a poacher, and you would far sooner interchange him with Famara than play them together. Perhaps we panicked with Fam's 6 game ban.

I don't know what it was but while I like the player, I think Eisa's signing and involvement is indicative of a transfer process that is far less intelligent or thought through than the lip service we get from the club, I would go so far as to say we are enamoured with hoarding promising up and coming players we might increase the valuation of somewhere down the line, without really having a clear strategy for present need. And that's the best case, worst case Eisa was knee jerk. 

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yesterday it suddenly dawned on me what we were doing this season, I have the answer, seriously.

SL a couple of years ago I think stated we wanted to emulate Reading, we even brought in Coppell and a couple of their ex players. Well we know how that went.

Then there were mumblings about us ‘doing a Bournemouth’, small unfancued team with young up and coming Manager. Work in progress.

Now I honestly feel this seasons wannabe team is...Fulham. Fulham were 11th this time last season, ( I was told this, haven’t checked), they made one fantastic loan in January and got themselves promoted from almost nowhere. They bought in Mitrovic and he almost singlehandedly got them up there. 

All LJ has to do is find our Mitrovic.

And a good midfield to supply him. Anyone like Cairney around ?

Archived