IGNORED

How hard a league is the Championship to get out of?

General Zod

We seem to be constantly told that the Championship is one of the most challenging leagues in Europe to get out of.  Following city home and away most weeks I really don’t see it.  The majority of teams seem bang average to me.  City’s form at best has been uninspiring but we find ourselves comfortable in mid table without finding any rhythm, creativity or goals.  Some how we find ourselves a 3/4 game winning run away from knocking on the playoffs.  I appreciate its unlikely to happen but let’s show some intent in the window, balls and desire on the pitch and have a real go in 2019.  We are not going down so let’s hope we play with a bit of freedom, urgency and start entertaining and climbing up this very average league.

5 games ago we had forum experts saying we'd get 2 to 4 points out of the next 5 games. We took 9 and went unbeaten.

We rose 3 places.

A repeat of that over the next 5 would probably edge us closer to the top 6.

People will say yes but we have a few tough games coming up, but look at the top two, Leeds and Norwich. Both lost at home yesterday.

Always Believe ?

It’s extremely competitive so very difficult to put together good runs etc. Games are generally very close. Teams we have played look average etc but then so do we. 

But when you consider we have never made Prem yet many other ‘lesser’ clubs have then we should be wanting more than mid-table. 

9 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

5 games ago we had forum experts saying we'd get 2 to 4 points out of those games. We took 9 and went unbeaten.

We rose 3 places.

A repeat of that over the next 5 would probably edge us closer to the top 6.

People will say yes but we have a few tough games coming up, but look at the top two, Leeds and Norwich. Both lost at home yesterday.

Always Believe ?

That’s partly why I rarely join in those types of threads....it’s just impossible to know what will happen.

We currently sit in 11th position, 7 points off the top 6 / play-offs, 9 points off the bottom 6 and 13 points off the relegation zone. We have more wins than losses for the first time since mid/end September.  We have momentum (of sorts) in a 7 game unbeaten  run, but mindful of the 4 games that preceded that!

We don’t know whether Tuesday v Stoke will be:

• 2 wins on the spin and 8 unbeaten (6 out of 6 since Boxing Day, 7/9 over Xmas
  • a 4th draw in 5 but still 8 unbeaten
  • our 1st defeat in 8, but also only 1 win in 5 (13 points from last 12)

Basically one result from the 3 possible and you can spin it any way you like!!  Stoke will be a tough game, but we saw in 45 minutes at home that they aren’t world-beaters either....they are actually below us (on GD).

16 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s extremely competitive so very difficult to put together good runs etc. Games are generally very close. Teams we have played look average etc but then so do we. 

But when you consider we have never made Prem yet many other ‘lesser’ clubs have then we should be wanting more than mid-table. 

Why are they 'lesser' clubs if they've achieved more that us?

In terms of success and achievements, we are one of the 'lesser' clubs, surely?

7 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

That why I put it in inverted commas. Could be considered lesser clubs. 

It's us that is the small fish in a big pond when achievements are taken into account. Only 3 other clubs out of the 24 have never played in the Prem.

In a list of honours, we would be in the relegation zone ?

2 hours ago, General Zod said:

We seem to be constantly told that the Championship is one of the most challenging leagues in Europe to get out of.  Following city home and away most weeks I really don’t see it.  The majority of teams seem bang average to me.  City’s form at best has been uninspiring but we find ourselves comfortable in mid table without finding any rhythm, creativity or goals.  Some how we find ourselves a 3/4 game winning run away from knocking on the playoffs.  I appreciate its unlikely to happen but let’s show some intent in the window, balls and desire on the pitch and have a real go in 2019.  We are not going down so let’s hope we play with a bit of freedom, urgency and start entertaining and climbing up this very average league.

I’d say parachute payments to clubs being relegated from the premier league makes things tougher for other clubs in the transfer market.

im not convinced the January transfer window is a good time for buying quality players.  It’s a time for clubs to move on their castoffs or players recovering from injury.

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We did, and personally I think we'll get at least one more shot in the next few seasons. Mind you, if we did manage to go up I'm not sure how most on here could cope with seeing us lose most of the time.

I'm pretty sure we'd see some big money signings if we did go up.

I'm sure SL would do everything in his power to ensure we stayed longer than one season. He'd be a fool not to, although the parachute payment would be useful if we came straight back down.

How hard a league is the Championship to get out of? Very easy is the answer. Just be content to be an average mid / lower level team for a few years and stagnate. Then thing will go pear shaped and it’s relegation to league 1 .  

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I'm sure SL would do everything in his power to ensure we stayed longer than one season. He'd be a fool not to, although the parachute payment would be useful if we came straight back down.

This place would be in melt down

Posters moaning that we didnt put bids in for Hazzard Progba Salah and Kane

We/LJ have a habit of making life difficult for ourselves, but I also think that LJ's critics are often a little selective about their criticism.

On the back of a recent upturn in fortunes, Brentford was a game we should win - changed manager, poor form and below us in the table. A "boring " 0-0 draw saw understandable criticism of our display and the result. However, yesterday Brentford went to an inform Birmingham (  far better run of form that us) held them to a 0-0 draw with over 60% possession and allowed Birmingham just one shot on target.

Preston held Villa, Wednesday held West Brom, Bolton held Stoke and Leeds lost at home to Hull! 

I'm not disputing that we have been goal shy of late, and our football has not been the most sparkling, but it seems that the championship has plenty of teams more than capable of putting in perfomances that bely their position in the table. 

It is this that I think makes the "small margins" so important. Last season those small margins were our inability to defend and in particular when in winning positions. This season we have "solved" that defensive issue, but the small margin we need is at the other end of the pitch. Some of that is undoubtedly down to the  less fluent attacking play, although who knows what a difference there might have been if half of those shots against the woodwork had gone in.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

We/LJ have a habit of making life difficult for ourselves, but I also think that LJ's critics are often a little selective about their criticism.

On the back of a recent upturn in fortunes, Brentford was a game we should win - changed manager, poor form and below us in the table. A "boring " 0-0 draw saw understandable criticism of our display and the result. However, yesterday Brentford went to an inform Birmingham (  far better run of form that us) held them to a 0-0 draw with over 60% possession and allowed Birmingham just one shot on target.

Preston held Villa, Wednesday held West Brom, Bolton held Stoke and Leeds lost at home to Hull! 

I'm not disputing that we have been goal shy of late, and our football has not been the most sparkling, but it seems that the championship has plenty of teams more than capable of putting in perfomances that bely their position in the table. 

It is this that I think makes the "small margins" so important. Last season those small margins were our inability to defend and in particular when in winning positions. This season we have "solved" that defensive issue, but the small margin we need is at the other end of the pitch. Some of that is undoubtedly down to the  less fluent attacking play, although who knows what a difference there might have been if half of those shots against the woodwork had gone in.

Spot on

Only logged in because it's relevant and in truth there's no better club than ourselves to answer this issue.  

Stuck in this bloody league for what will be 17 years by the end of season  (no club has been here longer) - and then we'll (most likely) be playing League One just to crown it all ? - and within that time have only made the play offs what two or three times and not even a final appearance with it.   Seriously, it's a nightmare of sorts for some clubs that are stuck where they are with no real hope of ever making it back .     For a promotion team to make it you need :

1.    An owner with an ambition and vision to make it work.

2.    Said owner to invest enough money and work closely with the manager to assist progress.

3.     Consistency over a season and not blowing up at crucial stages.

4.     Players wanting to come in and seeing a club as an attractive proposal.  Reassurance they'll get to feature regularly.

5.      Not giving up at pivotal times or during games i.e. "oh we can't win this, we can't achieve this, it's beyond our capabilities etc"

You see what I'm getting at.   Doesn't take all five factors to make it work, but for clubs that can meet the majority of the criteria chances are they're going to be involved in a promotion opportunity.     Just saw the topic on the off chance and felt the need to respond.    Got to rush, sorry for any interruption.    Seasonal greetings and all that.  

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

A big money signing for us would be£20m, chicken feed to the top clubs. I'm not saying we'd go straight down but we'd be losing a lot a bit like when we went up to that level in '76 the last time

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Brentford looked a class side the other week against us, as did Preston. Two lower mid table sides. This is a tough league. 

You could look at it another way. The two lower / mid table teams (plus Millwall and Rotherham) looked good against because we played like a mid / lower table team, which is what we are 

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Personally I'm happy with watching Championship football after all the years of trying to get out of L1. I'd also rather be mid-table than in the relegation scrap like we always used to be.

Personally I'd be happy to watch decent football and I don't particularly care what level that is at.   Living off scraps this season, though at least we seem to have the defence sorted.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

How hard a league is the Championship to get out of? Very easy is the answer. Just be content to be an average mid / lower level team for a few years and stagnate. Then thing will go pear shaped and it’s relegation to league 1 .  

In fairness, we have tried spending money, and that has resulted in finances going pear-shaped and relegation.

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

We came very close under GJ.

We did, but in the fairly short time since the impact of escalating parachute payments (and the number of clubs getting them) and the inflation in wages and fees - a contagion from the PL - make the Championship a very different proposition.

42 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We did, but in the fairly short time since the impact of escalating parachute payments (and the number of clubs getting them) and the inflation in wages and fees - a contagion from the PL - make the Championship a very different proposition.

Absolutely China.

Every successive TV deal makes the championship even tougher because the level of parachute payments has become, and will continue to be ever more ludicrous relative to the clubs not receiving them. 

8 hours ago, Chappers said:

In fairness, we have tried spending money, and that has resulted in finances going pear-shaped and relegation.

In simple terms, we actually spent cash last season too- we lost £25m.

It was a spend and try to go up season- within our financial capabilities and FFP parameters. We did not go up and Summer 2018 became an inevitability.

Archived