IGNORED

How hard a league is the Championship to get out of?

General Zod

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I'm pretty sure we'd see some big money signings if we did go up.

I'm sure SL would do everything in his power to ensure we stayed longer than one season. He'd be a fool not to, although the parachute payment would be useful if we came straight back down.

I genuinely believe the Lansdown family are scared of the Premier League and the financial implications that can potentially come with it if you do things wrong. The championship is there comfort zone IMO.

21 minutes ago, bris red said:

I genuinely believe the Lansdown family are scared of the Premier League and the financial implications that can potentially come with it if you do things wrong. The championship is there comfort zone IMO.

Given most Championship clubs lose, if not hemorrhage, money I don't know how true that is.

Yes- things can go badly wrong in the PL financially to say the least. Financial comfort zone this level? To me, a financial comfort zone if the Lansdown family were thinking in those terms? Top end League One, with the odd spell in the Championship. It's a grim vision but if anything the Championship is the last League you would consider a financial comfort zone in the UK. We had our best season commercially last season- and yet our highest losses!!

A paradox which reflects the environment of this League.

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

You could look at it another way. The two lower / mid table teams (plus Millwall and Rotherham) looked good against because we played like a mid / lower table team, which is what we are 

I think of we have a fully fit squad (a rarity!) And there isn't players wanting to leave or any other dramas and if we settled on a formation and starting 11 then we are a top 10 team. 

Even now I think we are primed for a push to the top 6, there is always one team that does it so why can't it be us? We are 7 unbeaten whilst playing quite poorly, if we can push on from this then we have an outside chance.

19 hours ago, chinapig said:

We did, but in the fairly short time since the impact of escalating parachute payments (and the number of clubs getting them) and the inflation in wages and fees - a contagion from the PL - make the Championship a very different proposition.

Huddersfield and Fulham have managed it without spending huge amounts.

Teams like Villa and Leeds got left behind after spending considerable amounts.

I'd like to think that it doesn't just come down to the amounts of money spent, rather the effort, commitment and togetherness of the team.

Look what Cardiff achieved 

13 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Fulham have spent over 100 million this season hardly a drop in the ocean.......

They didn't spend a lot whilst in the Championship though. Some of that figure spent this season will probably be reimbursed if relegated via a parachute payment.

48 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

They didn't spend a lot whilst in the Championship though. Some of that figure spent this season will probably be reimbursed if relegated via a parachute payment.

Look at the quality they both bought in though,all ready to play at a good level...

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

I'd like to think that it doesn't just come down to the amounts of money spent, rather the effort, commitment and togetherness of the team.

I agree.  Whilst money helps, plenty of teams that have parachute payments and throw big money at it but don’t end up promoted.  Personally as fans i feel we’ve been fed and accepted the story of how promoting is really only on the cards for those clubs with parachute payments and we seem to over look that other clubs do actually win promotion or make it to the playoffs.  We seem happy to accept mid table mediocrity and survival rather than expecting to challenge for a play off place.  

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Villa certainly spent big. Leeds? Yes and no- they had some big sales as well which helped offset- this summer is the time they lifted their wage cap I believe. Fulham and Cardiff? Helped by parachute payments undoubtedly- though Fulham surely spent more out of those 2.

Those aren't the be all and end all though- ask Sunderland, Aston Villa, at this time Middlesborough amongst some others- but they are a big help.

Archived