IGNORED

Josh Brownhill - quality player

reddogkev

A top midfielder, very unlucky not to have scored with the quality strike that pinged off of the cross bar. I like him so much,  I'm sure he'll be in the Premier League sometime in the future.

My question is, just how good is he?  What are the limitations that he could improve upon?  His technique striking the ball is fantastic, perplexes me that he is not scoring more goals.

I am surprised that he hasn't attracted attention from bigger Championship sides.

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

A top midfielder, very unlucky not to have scored with the quality strike that pinged off of the cross bar. I like him so much,  I'm sure he'll be in the Premier League sometime in the future.

My question is, just how good is he?  What are the limitations that he could improve upon?  His technique striking the ball is fantastic, perplexes me that he is not scoring more goals.

I am surprised that he hasn't attracted attention from bigger Championship sides.

Totally agree Kev.

As I said elsewhere, if we brought in another midfielder and allowed Josh to get forward more often, he'd be getting goals regularly for us. Maybe he could even be 2019s Bobby Reid?!!

35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If games lasted 45 minutes, he'd be a world-beater.  However, he rarely comes out for the second half with the most unfortunate thing being that he hasn't been substituted!

Watch how our central midfield disappears so frequently in second halves.  All our other central midfielders, including Brownhilll, seem to go "missing in action".

Brownhill will undoubtedly be another player that we sell only to see him go on to make us regret it. People say he goes missing or he's not progressing but that's being judged in our team, who obviously are prone to going missing or not showing progression.
I genuinely think Brownhill's technique, his ball control, his passing and many other qualities are already well beyond most Championship players but like any midfielder you need to be put in a system that compliments you in order to fully shine. When Brownhill plays he isn't able to attack as freely as he needs to be allowed because we rely too heavily on our midfielders to get between the ball and the opposition when defending, so if he ventures forward he's always having to be aware of the counter against us.

A good comparison to put to Brownhill was Lampard when he was playing, that advanced midfielder who gets around the edge of the box and threatens with long-range shots and short passes into forwards, instead we use him as a box to box midfielder or a wide midfielder, neither of which are his real strong suit. I honestly think in this 4-4-1-1 system that LJ seems to be using recently I'd like to see Korey back fit with Pack and drop Patto and put Brownhill behind Fammy. Given that freedom to drop deep and offer for the ball in that one behind the striker would suit Brownhill, it would also allow him to fire off those shots and make the opposition think twice about giving him space which in turn would draw out CB's allowing Fammy more space.

For Brownhill to make it above this level, I think he needs to improve two things:

• composure on the ball in those key areas, to play that killer pass or get the shot off (quite often it’s a tad rushed or on the stretch)
  • learn to be more efficient with his running...sometimes runs for the sake of it with little purpose without getting the ball, and I’m not talking about running to create space for others.  Yesterday I thought he did it well, hence got on the ball in good phases of play in good positions.

He’s a decent player.  I think he could be a player who LJ says “is made better by bringing in the right player”.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He’s a decent player.  I think he could be a player who LJ says “is made better by bringing in the right player”.

We don’t need to bring the right players to see the best from Brownhill. We had one last season in Bobby Ried. Brownhills link up play and supply to Ried was one of the reasons he was such a success and he went for a decent fee. 

6 minutes ago, swanker said:

We don’t need to bring the right players to see the best from Brownhill. We had one last season in Bobby Ried. Brownhills link up play and supply to Ried was one of the reasons he was such a success and he went for a decent fee. 

In which case we need Bobby Reid mark II.

Definitely the type of player who would be even more impressive in a 3 man midfield than a 2 man, still think he is great in that two, however it does leave us often quite rigid in that midfield as Pack has to always be the sitting midfielder. 

Will play in the premier league without a doubt, has an incredible ability to make the ball dip suddenly when striking a long ball. 

29 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Definitely the type of player who would be even more impressive in a 3 man midfield than a 2 man, still think he is great in that two, however it does leave us often quite rigid in that midfield as Pack has to always be the sitting midfielder. 

Beat me to it. I do seem to keep going on about the 3 man MF, but with the players we have I think it's our best option. Walsh and Brownhill with Pack sitting sounds good to me. Problem is as we've signed so many wingers it's unlikely that we play it.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For Brownhill to make it above this level, I think he needs to improve two things:

• composure on the ball in those key areas, to play that killer pass or get the shot off (quite often it’s a tad rushed or on the stretch)
  • learn to be more efficient with his running...sometimes runs for the sake of it with little purpose without getting the ball, and I’m not talking about running to create space for others.  Yesterday I thought he did it well, hence got on the ball in good phases of play in good positions.

I think he's made a start on the first bit Dave, think I said to you recently his shooting in open play was poor. That has improved markedly recently. Yesterday I did notice the odd occasion he was trying different balls through, learning and improving.

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

Watch how our central midfield disappears so frequently in second halves. 

Not necessarily just the second half. I've said this about Brownhill before, and I'd been calling for him to play central for some time, he can go missing in games. Yesterday was better, but TBF this is the first time for some time he's got a run in CMF.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Beat me to it. I do seem to keep going on about the 3 man MF, but with the players we have I think it's our best option. Walsh and Brownhill with Pack sitting sounds good to me. Problem is as we've signed so many wingers it's unlikely that we play it.

We could always play the two wingers in a 4-3-3 system but that doesn't seem to be the style that LJ wants to go with.

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We could always play the two wingers in a 4-3-3 system but that doesn't seem to be the style that LJ wants to go with.

We seem to have to factor in Paterson somewhere, so it does limit options. 
I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-5-1 or more like a 4-1-4-1 which changes to a 4-3-3. with the wide men and 2 MF's pushing on to support the front man.
But that's the important part, we need players to get up with and beyond the striker, I think Walsh and Brownhill could do that.

He’s decent. Nothing more. 

Has clear ability but his decision making and anticipation lack. 

I don’t see too much in the way of creativity from him. He’s neat and tidy, has a good touch and technique but he isn’t one that unlocks a defence or the type of midfielder that bursts into the box with a late run and nails a few goals. 

I’ve watched him so carefully as he’s got clear ability but he loses the ball more than any other player (except Fam), and that’s not because he’s trying a difficult ball, he just loses focus sometimes and perhaps even thinks too far ahead, and he loses the ball easily. I won’t dig out the stats but I’ve been through numerous games and analysed and he loses it more than anyone (in unforced error type ways). 

He’s like many of our midfielders / attacking mids - good touch and technique, neat and tidy, but not anywhere near creative enough or a goal threat to worry the opposition. 

His delivery from set pieces isn’t that great. He’s on long throws for some reason but can only loft it just inside the box. He’s good at shooting. And he works hard. Those are the only 2 factors which stand him out. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t see too much in the way of creativity from him. He’s neat and tidy, has a good touch and technique but he isn’t one that unlocks a defence or the type of midfielder that bursts into the box with a late run and nails a few goals. 

I’ve watched him so carefully as he’s got clear ability but he loses the ball more than any other player (except Fam), and that’s not because he’s trying a difficult ball, he just loses focus sometimes and perhaps even thinks too far ahead, and he loses the ball easily. I won’t dig out the stats but I’ve been through numerous games and analysed and he loses it more than anyone (in unforced error type ways). 

Regularly seems to be on the stretch (not in full control) at key moments....do you think that’s as you say thinking too far ahead.  it’s as if the whole world speeds up in his head, when you imagine with the good players it all goes slow-motion.

He’s like many of our midfielders / attacking mids - good touch and technique, neat and tidy, but not anywhere near creative enough or a goal threat to worry the opposition. 

His delivery from set pieces isn’t that great. He’s on long throws for some reason but can only loft it just inside the box. He’s good at shooting. And he works hard. Those are the only 2 factors which stand him out. 

10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Will play in the premier league without a doubt, has an incredible ability to make the ball dip suddenly when striking a long ball. 

Pack, Walsh and Brownhill. Smith to cover or if one dips/loses form.

Would bring more out of all 3 IMO- especially Pack who as you say can be constrained in a 2' as well as leaving our shape rigid.

@BigAlToby&Liam FFP? Can't see- unless we make big transfers or some stupid rolling of the dice, don't see why that should make us need to sell players in the forseeable.

Great thread and all points worthy of discussion other than you know who (Super.. Gas?? ) 

I admit to under-rating Brownhill last season but do take the point he contributed to a lot of Bobby's free scoring. 

I think he gets himself into good shooting positions but must improve that final shot. How many of our 13 woodworks this season have been his? 

I certainly don't want him to leave aged 23 as he is currently one of the many examples of recruit well, buy-well, develop-well and improve the team. 

Agree he sometimes runs out of steam but think they all do with possible exception of Weimann, and perhaps this is inevitable with our pressing game? 

Keep it up Josh! 

4 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Great thread and all points worthy of discussion other than you know who (Super.. Gas?? ) 

I admit to under-rating Brownhill last season but do take the point he contributed to a lot of Bobby's free scoring. 

I think he gets himself into good shooting positions but must improve that final shot. How many of our 13 woodworks this season have been his? 

I certainly don't want him to leave aged 23 as he is currently one of the many examples of recruit well, buy-well, develop-well and improve the team. 

Agree he sometimes runs out of steam but think they all do with possible exception of Weimann, and perhaps this is inevitable with our pressing game? 

Keep it up Josh! 

Haven't you noticed yet that pressing is no longer part of our game plan?

16 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Keep it up Josh! 

What pressing game? 

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Interesting comments, must admit I haven't noticed him losing the ball that often, will have to keep a look out for it.  I reckon you're selling his talents a little bit short, though.

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pack, Walsh and Brownhill. Smith to cover or if one dips/loses form.

Would bring more out of all 3 IMO- especially Pack who as you say can be constrained in a 2' as well as leaving our shape rigid.

@BigAlToby&Liam FFP? Can't see- unless we make big transfers or some stupid rolling of the dice, don't see why that should make us need to sell players in the forseeable.

Any reference I make to FFP is tongue in cheek. I see FFP as being used as a reason or excuse for the sale of our better players.

I still think that creative accounting is in action at Bristol Sport and Holdings for reasons that are more Lansdown related rather than BCFC related. 

Anyway Brownhill. Was there anything more than Festive Friendliness in him giving his shirt away?

4 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Any reference I make to FFP is tongue in cheek. I see FFP as being used as a reason or excuse for the sale of our better players.

I still think that creative accounting is in action at Bristol Sport and Holdings for reasons that are more Lansdown related rather than BCFC related. 

In fairness, that is because you are a ******* muppet. 

Archived